Future salary cap situation

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

There´s a lot of talk about the Packers being in great shape concerning the cap space in future years, but taking a look at the numbers this isn´t actually true at all.

While the team still possesses the 9th most cap space for the 2014 season and some of it might be rolled over into 2015 they have already invested more than $118 million (10th most in the league) in cap space for the 2015 season with Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Bryan Bulaga on the verge of becoming unrestricted free agents. Compared to that, teams a lot of people assume being in cap hell have less invested for 2015 with the 49ers at $110 million, the Broncos at $96 million and the Seahawks at $90 million.

It doesn´t get any better over the next two years either, as the Packers have already invested $86 million towards the cap in 2016 (8th in the league) and nearly $55 million (6th in the league) for only four players in 2017.

While the cap is expected to go up over the next few years it will be difficult for the Packers to hold on to all of their core players over the near future as well as bringing in impact veterans as they don´t have that much cap room as a lot of people might think.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

As long as TT is in charge, the cap will be fine.

The numbers don´t lie and it´s pretty obvious that if the Packers re-sign Nelson, Cobb and Bulaga there won´t be a lot of cap room left.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

TT's got a plan. Guarantee it.

Well, the only thing aside from restructuring a contract (in which case the player has to agree to it) TT can do is releasing players to save some cap room. That doesn´t make the team better in most cases though.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the only thing aside from restructuring a contract (in which case the player has to agree to it) TT can do is releasing players to save some cap room. That doesn´t make the team better in most cases though.

I don't see how having 6th - 10th most cap room right now is that big a problem anyway. As long as they aren't up against the cap, they'll be okay.

TT manages the cap with the best of them. I'm not going to worry about it.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see how having 6th - 10th most cap room right now is that big a problem anyway. As long as they aren't up against the cap, they'll be okay.

If you only take a look at the situation right now it seems like the Packers are in great shape. According to overthecap.com the team has approximately $15.6 million in cap space at the moment. It will take approximately $5.8 million to sign our draft picks and an additional $800K will be used for the practice squad guys. The guys who will be put on the PUP list or on injured reserved will have to be replaced, if 10 players combined will end up on one of these lists that would result in at least another $4.2 million in cap hit.

So, the Packers will only be able to roll over approximately $4.8 million in cap space to 2015 (assuming they won´t sign anybody else from now) with already one of the league´s highest cap hits for next season. Not an ideal situation IMO.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Ted hasn't handled the cap situation all that well.
Sounds like Rodgers, Matthews, Williams. need restructuring.
Meanwhile the window is sliding shut.

GM since 2005. No cap issues. I'd say that's handling it well.

Besides, what was he supposed to do with Rodgers and Matthews? Not pay them a lot and let them go?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

GM since 2005. No cap issues. I'd say that's handling it well.

Besides, what was he supposed to do with Rodgers and Matthews? Not pay them a lot and let them go?

I think the structure of their contracts (pushing most of the cap hit into the later years) doesn´t qualify as handling it great. During the first season of their new contracts Rodgers and Matthews were counting roughly $19 million combined toward the cap, a number that will increase to $35.7 million in 2017.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the structure of their contracts (pushing most of the cap hit into the later years) doesn´t qualify as handling it great. During the first season of their new contracts Rodgers and Matthews were counting roughly $19 million combined toward the cap, a number that will increase to $35.7 million in 2017.

That's what the majority of big contracts do. The cap is increasing. If they counted 35 million against the cap right now, there would be no money left.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That's what the majority of big contracts do.

Not to the extent of Rodgers´ and Matthews´ contracts though.

The cap is increasing. If they counted 35 million against the cap right now, there would be no money left.

So what makes you believe there will be money left once the huge cap hits of these and some other contracts kick in???

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So what makes you believe there will be money left once the huge cap hits of these and some other contracts kick in???

What do you mean by that?
Romo: 11,11,27,17,21,22
Flacco:6,14,14,28,31,24
Brees: 10,17,18,26,27
Stafford: 15,17,22,22
Eli: 12,14,9(restructured),20,20
Ryan: 9,17,19,23,23,21
Rodgers:12,17,18,19,20,20,21

Rodgers contract really doesn't strike me as out of place or particularly unfriendly structure wise.

Regarding the overall cap situation in 2015 and beyond part of it is they have a lot of young players so while some teams only have 30-40 players locked in for those seasons GB has 50. Not to mention having an all-pro QB still in his prime locked in until 2019.

There is also quite a bit of wiggle room since there are really no (or very few, depends on your opinion) bad contracts with large amounts of dead money. The situation looks fine to me.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

What do you mean by that?
Romo: 11,11,27,17,21,22
Flacco:6,14,14,28,31,24
Brees: 10,17,18,26,27
Stafford: 15,17,22,22
Eli: 12,14,9(restructured),20,20
Ryan: 9,17,19,23,23,21
Rodgers:12,17,18,19,20,20,21

Rodgers contract really doesn't strike me as out of place or particularly unfriendly structure wise.

I wouldn´t consider any of those structured in a cap friendly way. I would have rather liked to sign Rodgers to a contract closer to the ones Peyton (18, 17.5, 17.5, 21.5, 21.5) and Cutler (18.5, 16.5, 17, 16, 17, 20, 21.7) signed, especially as it would be way easier to restructure these contracts as the prorated signing bonuses doesn´t take up a huge amount of cap space (I´m not saying I would have given Cutler that kind of money, just talking about the structure of the contract).

Regarding the overall cap situation in 2015 and beyond part of it is they have a lot of young players so while some teams only have 30-40 players locked in for those seasons GB has 50. Not to mention having an all-pro QB still in his prime locked in until 2019.

Out of the 50 guys signed for 2015 there are approximately 15-20 players which probably won´t play a single down for the team.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn´t consider any of those structured in a cap friendly way. I would have rather liked to sign Rodgers to a contract closer to the ones Peyton (18, 17.5, 17.5, 21.5, 21.5) and Cutler (18.5, 16.5, 17, 16, 17, 20, 21.7) signed, especially as it would be way easier to restructure these contracts as the prorated signing bonuses doesn´t take up a huge amount of cap space (I´m not saying I would have given Cutler that kind of money, just talking about the structure of the contract).

Out of the 50 guys signed for 2015 there are approximately 15-20 players which probably won´t play a single down for the team.

Money was tight in 2013, it's better how it worked out only paying 12m that season than if it were 17 or 18m. There wasn't nearly as much cap room to work with. It looks to me like it was structured fine based on the situation.

and those 15-20 guys still count on the cap chart you are looking at so that's a probably a pretty decent chunk of money that is actually irrelevant to the cap situation.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

and those 15-20 guys still count on the cap chart you are looking at so that's a probably a pretty decent chunk of money that is actually irrelevant to the cap situation.

But other guys that will actually play will have to replace those guys on the roster, and it´s highly probable that those players will count even more against the cap than these guys.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are also very few players as good as Rodgers and Matthews. These guys had to be paid.

I believe there will be money left because there have never been any cap issues with TT. He'll find a way.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm talking about the present.

It's all relative to what players are and what players are not under contract. Example... Seattle is about to have to anti up BIGTIME for it's two best players. The Packers on the other hand, have their best players wrapped up and in fact, they're signed to pretty Packer friendly deals. Like others have said above...Ted knows WTF he's doing. I have no idea when people will finally understand that.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But other guys that will actually play will have to replace those guys on the roster, and it´s highly probable that those players will count even more against the cap than these guys.

and all the other teams on the list will have to sign 53 players as well and subsequently their 2015 cap charges will increase.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Money was tight in 2013, it's better how it worked out only paying 12m that season than if it were 17 or 18m. There wasn't nearly as much cap room to work with. It looks to me like it was structured fine based on the situation.

The Packers were able to carry over $9.8 million in cap space from the 2013 season with a ton of guys on injured reserve, so it's not true that there wasn't enough cap room available to structure the contracts differently.

This offseason the team did the same thing with the contracts of Shields and Peppers. If you like it or not, structuring a lot of contracts that way will lead to troubles with the cap in the future.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

There are also very few players as good as Rodgers and Matthews. These guys had to be paid.

There's no doubt Rodgers and Matthews had to be paid, the contracts should have been structured differently though.

I believe there will be money left because there have never been any cap issues with TT. He'll find a way.

It's hilarious that TT can't do anything wrong in some people's mind. This team is headed towards salary cap issues but some of you won't even consider questioning some of his moves when presented factual evidence.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Seattle is about to have to anti up BIGTIME for it's two best players.

They have $30 million more in cap space at their disposal than the Packers for 2015, they will be fine. At the same time the Packers will have to re-sign Nelson, Cobb and Bulaga. It's really not that hard to see which team is in a better cap situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts