Future Hall of Famers on the 2010 SB champions Green Bay Packers

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Lofton is in, so Driver has a chance, IMO.

how? Was driver ever the best wr in the league? Was he even top 3 at any point? Most of his packer career he wasnt even the #1 on the team. Never lead the league in anything. Hall of good, not fame.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what are we talking about here, the NLF or Packer HOF?
NFL HoF and retired Packers' jersey.

If Driver wins another ring with key participation, he'll be the same case as Hines Ward.

And a lot of analysts, analysts who have voting powers like Peter King, think that Ward is HoF material.

The conditions you are saying are BS Ivo. Sterling was the best WR in the league for 3 years. He led the league and broke records. Yet he's out.

Meanwhile, Art Monk never lead the league in anything, was elected to the pro bowl as many times as Driver (3), and is in. Because of rings and what he meant to the Redskins.

Do not underestimate the subjectiveness of HoF voting. A LOT of voters are there to serve their own agenda and compensate the players that made their own job easier.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
NFL HOF? Well then I change my answer. I think Woodson is the only current player with an in. A-Rod likely with another ring. I really think it would take more than 2 SB rings for retiring his number though. He, as well as most of the rest of the team, are too young to have made that sort impact on the league. Driver is loveable but, unfortunately, that doesn't warrant induction. Let's review again in 2 years.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL HOF? Well then I change my answer. I think Woodson is the only current player with an in. A-Rod likely with another ring. I really think it would take more than 2 SB rings for retiring his number though. He, as well as most of the rest of the team, are too young to have made that sort impact on the league. Driver is loveable but, unfortunately, that doesn't warrant induction. Let's review again in 2 years.
Favre has only 1 ring and is a shoo-in for both the NFL HOF and the retired jersey.
Rodgers has better production that Favre had this time in his career (though not the MVPs). Favre wasn't considered a shoo-in just now that he has all the records. As soon as early 2000's he was a shoo-in.

What's the difference? Why it would take 2 more rings for Rodgers' jersey to be retired?

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score

Favre has only 1 ring and is a shoo-in for both the NFL HOF and the retired jersey.
Rodgers has better production that Favre had this time in his career (though not the MVPs). Favre wasn't considered a shoo-in just now that he has all the records. As soon as early 2000's he was a shoo-in.

What's the difference? Why it would take 2 more rings for Rodgers' jersey to be retired?

If Favre was a shoo-in in early 2000's, that would have been at least 4 years after his SB victory; 4 years of experience & accomplishments. I agree that Rodgers has more going for him at this stage of his career but just doesn't have the experience, years of proving himself. If he continues his great performance, he should be a shoo-in regardless of whether or not he has a 2nd ring.
Favre: SB Ring + 4+ years = NFL HoF
Rodgers: SB Ring + 2-4 years = NFL HoF OR
Rodgers: SB Ring + SB Ring = NFL HoF
IMO

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers wont throw 500 TDs. He wont hit any of the all time records. Not taking anything away from arod, just saying based on when they started, he wont hit those records. Plus I dont see the Packers catering to any players records over quality of play.

VBJunkie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson was in the HOF 2 seconds after the Super Bowl was over. That's all he needed to punch his ticket. They just haven't counted the ballots yet.

As for Rodgers and Mathews... they will need 1 more SB, 10 more years in the league and some shining stats. For Driver... 2 SB and a SB MVP.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers wont throw 500 TDs. He wont hit any of the all time records. Not taking anything away from arod, just saying based on when they started, he wont hit those records. Plus I dont see the Packers catering to any players records over quality of play.
But my point is that before Favre had accomplished all those things, he was already talked of being a a shoo-in for BOTH the NFL HoF and the retired jersey.

So why the hell would Rodgers with BETTER production so far need MORE than Favre needed?????

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But my point is that before Favre had accomplished all those things, he was already talked of being a a shoo-in for BOTH the NFL HoF and the retired jersey.

So why the hell would Rodgers with BETTER production so far need MORE than Favre needed?????

well he was the first 3x mvp I think, which had something to do with it. But like you said around 2000 he was a shoo in. If Rodgers keeps up the production for 6 more seasons he too will be a shoe in.

1 SB trophy doesnt get you in the HOF. The all time leader in QB rating doesnt really mean much if you havent played out your full career, and really doesnt hold a ton of weight when it tends to pump up modern day pass happy QBs. Still its cool to talk about but I cant take it too seriously when he is fighting off Philip Rivers for an all time record. If he has another 10 years in the league and finishes with that record then I think it is impressive in context to the era.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well he was the first 3x mvp I think, which had something to do with it. But like you said around 2000 he was a shoo in. If Rodgers keeps up the production for 6 more seasons he too will be a shoe in.

1 SB trophy doesnt get you in the HOF. The all time leader in QB rating doesnt really mean much if you havent played out your full career, and really doesnt hold a ton of weight when it tends to pump up modern day pass happy QBs. Still its cool to talk about but I cant take it too seriously when he is fighting off Philip Rivers for an all time record. If he has another 10 years in the league and finishes with that record then I think it is impressive in context to the era.
1 SB trophy alone doesn't, but that coupled with 8+ seasons of elite play does. Marino and Kelly don't have any rings.
My point is, Rodgers doesn't need necessarily another ring to be in the HOF and have his jersey retired. I think I've said so in the first post.

All he needs to do is continue with his current production for another 5 or so years and that's it.

Steve Young had 8 elite years, and those 8 years were filled with missed games due to injury. 111 elite starts and 1 ring. Rodgers has 47 and 1 ring. 64 left. That's 4 more years.

Don't you think Rodgers has at least 4 more elite years in him? If you do, then he's a HoF.

And regarding QB rating, yes, that alone shouldn't. But it'll be awfully hard for voters when you put together the regular season all time qb rating, the POSTSEASON all time qb rating, and the SB ring.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 SB trophy alone doesn't, but that coupled with 8+ seasons of elite play does. Marino and Kelly don't have any rings.
My point is, Rodgers doesn't need necessarily another ring to be in the HOF and have his jersey retired. I think I've said so in the first post.

All he needs to do is continue with his current production for another 5 or so years and that's it.

Steve Young had 8 elite years, and those 8 years were filled with missed games due to injury. 111 elite starts and 1 ring. Rodgers has 47 and 1 ring. 64 left. That's 4 more years.

Don't you think Rodgers has at least 4 more elite years in him? If you do, then he's a HoF.

And regarding QB rating, yes, that alone shouldn't. But it'll be awfully hard for voters when you put together the regular season all time qb rating, the POSTSEASON all time qb rating, and the SB ring.

Oh I agree, several more DOMINATE years and he will be a shoo in.

Using Marino or Kelly is kind of a cop out. Going to 4 SBs or retiring with every meaningful QB stat is basis for the hall. Warren Moon would have been more fitting I think for the point you are trying to get across, but no one wants to compare moon to Rodgers lol.

Rodgers and Youngs career and style of play are like a mirror image of each other. Its amazing how Rodgers mimics his favorite player growing up and Romo mimiced his favorite QB growing up.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers place is secure though in GB provided he doesnt go diva. He could go down week 1 next season, never play again, and still be beloved for decades for everything he has done.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Favre was a shoo-in in early 2000's, that would have been at least 4 years after his SB victory; 4 years of experience & accomplishments. I agree that Rodgers has more going for him at this stage of his career but just doesn't have the experience, years of proving himself. If he continues his great performance, he should be a shoo-in regardless of whether or not he has a 2nd ring.
Favre: SB Ring + 4+ years = NFL HoF
Rodgers: SB Ring + 2-4 years = NFL HoF OR
Rodgers: SB Ring + SB Ring = NFL HoF
IMO
Agreed.
Has there ever been a QUARTERBACK who has won 2 titles and not made it? I know a lot of other positions, but I guess as a QB, you win 2, you are in.
Rodgers place is secure though in GB provided he doesnt go diva. He could go down week 1 next season, never play again, and still be beloved for decades for everything he has done.
Rodgers already is at least the 3rd best GB QB of all time (some could argue he's the 2nd). He's already in the Packers HoF.

But how about having his jersey retired? Do you agree that, being a QB and the face of the franchise, that the same conditions for Rodgers making the HoF would have #12 retired by GB?

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I think GB would retire #12 even if he doesn't bring home another sb trophy. That is, provided, he stays with the team for a number of additional years & plays up to similar capacity. On a completely different scale yet on similar level of accomplishment to Reggie White perhaps?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.
Has there ever been a QUARTERBACK who has won 2 titles and not made it? I know a lot of other positions, but I guess as a QB, you win 2, you are in.

Rodgers already is at least the 3rd best GB QB of all time (some could argue he's the 2nd). He's already in the Packers HoF.

But how about having his jersey retired? Do you agree that, being a QB and the face of the franchise, that the same conditions for Rodgers making the HoF would have #12 retired by GB?

I honestly think it would take multiple championships for his number to be retired. Thats a huge honor. Bigger than the HOF in my opinion.

I dont think we should retire Favres number but I only base that off of how he treated the organization after he left. The Detroit phone call is the one that really lingers with me.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be in favor of retiring DDs number but not bretts.

Plus its going to be shameful for everyone to have the number retired when the fans are booing. It would be like the cavs retired lebrons number.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I honestly think it would take multiple championships for his number to be retired. Thats a huge honor. Bigger than the HOF in my opinion.

I dont think we should retire Favres number but I only base that off of how he treated the organization after he left. The Detroit phone call is the one that really lingers with me.

I have to agree with the BF vs DD theory. I feel like I should have at least gotten a kiss from Favre, if you know what I mean. And that sort of does support my theory on ARod in terms of retiring his number. If he stayed with us (hopefully forever), one ring would be enough. But not if he pulls a Favre.

Members online

Latest posts