Future Hall of Famers on the 2010 SB champions Green Bay Packers

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking about this, about the 96' team and how Reggie and Favre are the only ones that made it, and about LeRoy Butler. So what about this 2010 team? Also got me thinking about jersey retirement.

(I grade chances as 1) Sure 2) Probable 3) Possible 4) Plausible 5) Improbable.)

QB Aaron Rodgers.
If he keeps this pace, he's a first ballot like Favre. All time leader in QB rating both in regular season and postseason at only 27, Rodgers has the makings of an all time best. Even if he declines a bit, he would still make it.

Conditions for the HoF: Continuation of current production. Status: probable
Conditions for retired jersey: Continuation of current production. Status: probable

WR Donald Driver.
Now he's the thoughest choice. I could honestly see his jersey being retired and him not making the HoF. Guys like Cris Carter have better production than him and aren't in the HoF. But the ring and being GB's all time receiving leader in everything will make a compelling case.

Conditions for HoF:
Another ring, while being more fundamental to the championship. Status: plausible
Conditions for retired jersey: Another ring. Status: possible

WR Greg Jennings. This guy has the talent to be a HoF. If he has an extended period of production similar to this year (say 5 years), while winning another ring, he will make the HoF. Is young, and is starting to dominate the league.

Conditions for HoF: Is on the path, but will need a lot to make it, more years of dominance, and quite possibly another ring. Status: improbable
Conditions for retired jersey: The forementioned, plus breaking Driver's records. Status: improbable

CB Charles Woodson.
Heisman Trophy winner. 2009 NFL defensive player of the year. 2010 SB champion. One of the greatest players of all time, when it's all said and done.

Conditions for HoF: The ring solidifies his HoF career. A first ballot. Status: sure
Conditions for retired jersey: Having his jersey retired is a harder task, given that he has only a 5 year stint with the Packers. But with Reggie White's precedent, I would say the #21 will be retired. Status: probable

CB Tramon Williams.
This is a guy that has only 1 year of production, but what a year. If he somehow is able to repeat this for an extended period of time, much like Greg Jennings, I could see it. But will need another ring.

Conditions for HoF: Same case of Greg Jennings. Status: improbable
Conditions for retired jersey: It would take a dynasty with him being a key clog. Status: improbable

OLB Clay Matthews.
He is similar to Greg Jennings and Tramon, but his path is easier. He's already a dominating force in the league, has been since his arrival.

Conditions for HoF: An easier case than Greg and Tramon, as he has produced from the get go and is younger than both, but will need to keep his production. Status: possible
Conditions for retired jersey: the forementioned, but with another ring. Status: plausible

S Nick Collins. As a safety, he won't get as much consideration as the other positions for the HoF. He will need a long stretch of dominance. Good for him that he's capable of that. He's already a top 5 safety, has been for 3 years now, but he'll need to make more plays than currently and be elevated to the Polamalu/Reed status.

Conditions for HoF: Perform like he did in the postseason for a longer period of time. Status: plausible
Conditions for retired jersey: the forementioned, but with another ring. Status: improbable.

--------------------

Those are the guys I see as of right now with a chance of making it. There are other 3 guys I could see in the discussion, but I don't think they have a chance.
- NT B.J. Raji will need to develop into a dominant force, something he wasn't in this SB. Jennings, Tramon, Matthews were dominant. He's like Collins in the postseason, but Collins has already 3 years of great play on regular season. Raji has a 6 game stretch.
- OG Josh Sitton plays in a position that simply isn't recognized, and in a line that was the Packers' weakness. He's probably a better guard than Collins is a S and Jennings is a WR, but the position and his fellow OLinemen don't do him any favors.
- TE Jermichael Finley. Here's a guy that absolutely dominated when played, but it's just too short of a production to make any claims.

There's my analysis. Agree/Disagree?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Rodgers, Matthews, and Woodson are the only guys with good odds right now, I'd think.

Obviously Rodgers and Matthews will have to keep performing at a high level for the next decade, which is a big if considering how injuries ravage NFL careers.

Jennings has an outiside shot, but he'll have to continue to be a monster. What worries me about his HOF stock is that we'll replace Driver here shortly, and the person who replaces him will be very, very good, and that'll likely cut into Greg's numbers. As will the return of a healthy Jermichael Finley.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews needs another decade before we can have the conversation. Woodson I would say 70% chance. Rodgers just needs either another title or about 8 years of high quality play. Driver has about a 1% chance and that might be high.

Boy Scout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with Driver as on my list of Future HoF, all time team leader in
Most Receptions (311).
Most Seasons, 50 or More Receptions- 8
2nd Most Yards Receiving, Career- 9,050
Most Seasons, 1,000 or More Yards Receiving- 7
Most Consecutive Games, Reception- 127
Most Yards Receiving, Career- 4285

And I got tried and didn't look at it anymore, all this not inclueding the 2010 sesaon (which he wasn't great in)

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong here, I love Donald Driver. But how many possession type receivers make it to the HOF?

Rogers, Claymaker...should be shoo ins as long as the keep it up. Woodson should already be there as soon as he is retired long enough. Jennings with a couple more years of the same kind of production, why not. But I'm not sold on Williams or Collins getting there. Both are very, very good, but I never hear "shut down" when someone refers to them.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with Driver as on my list of Future HoF, all time team leader in
Most Receptions (311).
Most Seasons, 50 or More Receptions- 8
2nd Most Yards Receiving, Career- 9,050
Most Seasons, 1,000 or More Yards Receiving- 7
Most Consecutive Games, Reception- 127
Most Yards Receiving, Career- 4285

And I got tried and didn't look at it anymore, all this not inclueding the 2010 sesaon (which he wasn't great in)

Sorry to say but team records dont carry much weight with hof voters. DD is not a hof, but that doesnt take away from his career or how loved he is in the community.

Take a look at the WRs in DDs era and look how many would go before him into the Hall. Its just not going to happen. His numbers are just too low. Javon Walker has had a better year than any of Drivers best years sadly.

I think Andre Johnson has been a top 3 WR in the league for several years now yet I dont think he will get into the HOF. Too many players and the numbers dont mean as much as they used 2.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Rogers, Driver, Woodson probable for HOF "as is". Retiring #12 likely if the good streak continues, even if there isn't another ring.
Jennings & Collins a little more "iffy". At least one more remarkable year for each of them for HOF consideration.
Regardless of how well Matthews & Williams have performed, I think it's way too soon for their consideration. Give them a few more years like the last.
"IMO"

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
The truth is that there isn't anyone who is a lock or near lock, but it is not because our players aren't any good, its because they are so young (except for Woodson). That just means that we are going to have a great team for a good long while. I am excited about the fact that we can't presently say we have a ton of HoF'ers on the team as long as we have a ton of POTENTIAL HoF'ers on the team and a lot of guys who are playing like they belong in the HoF.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Driver is not "probable".

He's not getting in. There's no chance. Once again, if Cris Carter's still waiting, Driver's not even going to get a vote.

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure (if they maintained their production for another 3-5 years): Rodgers, Matthews, Williams, and Shields

Probable: Woodson. If he got one more ring, I'd say "sure"

Possible (if he turns out to be the player everyone excepts him to be): Finley

Plausible: Jennings, if he were to become a dominant WR for many years to come which he isn't right now. WR are not easy first ballots. Carter is one example, Andre Reed is another example. How about Fitzgerald? Great receiver, but I don't hear hall of fame talk with him either.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's not getting in. There's no chance. Once again, if Cris Carter's still waiting, Driver's not even going to get a vote.

The only way imo is if we go to 2 more SBs and driver wins the MVP both times. So pretty much 1 in a million chance lol

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwzbuIgCVBw]YouTube - Mason Crosby misses game winning field goal vs. Redskins[/ame]

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Woodson is the only sure HOFer on the team right now.

Rodgers has the next best shot, then Matthews. Rodgers needs at least five more years of play at his current level. Matthews needs many more years as well.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Excellent analysis, RS.

Chad Clifton: No chance, I know. But, similar to Driver, he is a fan favorite and is as deserving as anyone on this team.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Carter doesn't have a ring, and most importantly, he rubbed some journalists the wrong way in his time. Major differences from Driver.

Said it was plausible that he made the HoF and possible that his jersey was retired, and did stabilish as conditions another ring with major participation from his part.

Never said it was probable.
*Ahem* I think we are missing a very important player here. His name starts with a M and ends in att Flynn
*AHEM

Only 2 pure kickers in the HoF, so even if Mason was really good, no way he would make it...

I can't believe I've actually responded to this...

/waits for Matty Flynn to ask about Matt Flynn

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see how Charles Woodson isn't a sure HOF CB. Highly talented, fierce competitor and Defensive leader on arguably best Defense in the League who shut down the Eagles and Falcons just to name 2 top 5 offenses and ultimately he's a Champion.
Aaron Rodgers needs another title and couple more years of good stats or just plainly another 6 Pro Bowl seasons.
Same with Matthews.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has a chance, and Woodson doesn't need to do too much more to get in. The rest are just starting up a bid. I don't think Driver has a chance; too many big name WRs with large numbers still not in.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to hug Donald Driver and say thank you. If he plays two more seasons, I don't see anyone (unless Jennings plays his whole career with us) hitting his Packer records. I hope we retire his jersey.

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to hug Donald Driver and say thank you. If he plays two more seasons, I don't see anyone (unless Jennings plays his whole career with us) hitting his Packer records. I hope we retire his jersey.
While Driver is by far MY Favorite Packer ever, I dont see his number being retired or in the NFL HOF. The Packer HOF yes but not a chance in the NFL HOF.

Woodson will be in the NFL HOF no doubt, it may take a few years but he will be in.

Rodgers with many more years of this same production and another ring or 2 will be in.

Matthews as well, if he keeps up his production and gets another ring he will be in.

Beyond that I dont think we have anyone else currently that is a "sure thing". The HOF is not something that is easily attained.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts