Funny Finley

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
52 catches, 8 td's, and 4 drops is what i'm predicting. His role will be even bigger with the loss of Jennings.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy that's great analysis. Are you seriously comparing his drops to receivers that caught over 100 balls and were targeted 150 times?Look at drop rates, he drops 14% of the balls thrown his way...not good, not completely awful. James Jones had the same percentage. Besides, it's not just about the drops with Finley...the guy never shuts up.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/22/signature-stats-drop-rate-tight-ends/
Boy thats great criticism. Are you seriously providing a link that compares TEs and shows that the only TE I mention, Jimmy Graham, is listed as having a higher drop rate? Completely converse to your rebuttal?

Additionally the same site does the same analysis for WRs and Cobb, Cruz, and Welker are not much different, and CJ is only marginally better.

Besides, if you are going to criticize my posts, I post a lot of stupid stuff here and is readily available for criticism with only marginal research and analysis.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that he's made the pledge, it would be foolish for him to think of it any other way.

Define a "drop"; when is he obligated to pay?

[This is beginning to sound like the debate over whether it's OK for a player on IR to be doing jello shots with fans in the parking lot.]

Even if his drops go up 50%, we are talking $5k and he will be making, what $4M this year? That is a little over 0.1%.

H

HardRightEdge

No matter who decides which incomplete passes are drops fans, national (supposedly objective) observers, and even statisticians will probably disagree because many times it involves a subjective determination: Appointing someone won't change that. So there's no need to formalize this - it's more publicity for Finley which he enjoys and if it makes him more accountable and determined, we Packers fans will enjoy that. And he’ll score some TDs and drop some passes so a charity will benefit.

Ah, yes, we're all just one big happy family enjoying an offer to charity.

If Finley were to think past the tip of his nose, he would conclude that because it is a subjective stat, and because the fans and some in the media have exaggerated the problem to the point of wanting him run out of town, it would be wise to designate an arbiter.

Further, the arbiter should be one who does this work across the league so that he's measured by the same standard as everybody else. If the criteria is the crowd chanting "$500 bucks", then when Finley happens to drop a ball come week 15 on national TV, some color commentator will mention his previous 14 contributions to charity while PFF is showing 6 drops. At that point, Finley will probably conclude he did not property think through where this could go other than dulling the boos (which won't happen anyway). That's providing the weekly count exaggeration on local TV and radio has not clued him in already.

I don't think I mentioned that making a pledge like this based on subjective criteria is dumb to start with. It is additionally dumb by emphasizing a negative. It is dumber still in emphasizing the association between himself and drops. He should have stuck to the TDs or a per catch amount.

H

HardRightEdge

52 catches, 8 td's, and 4 drops is what i'm predicting. His role will be even bigger with the loss of Jennings.

52 catches would be light, don't you think? With Jennings gone I'd think a number at least in the 70's would constitute a good year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think it was smart by Finley to put a greater focus on the number of drops he will have this season but IMO you are making way too much of this. For example:
Further, the arbiter should be one who does this work across the league so that he's measured by the same standard as everybody else.
By "this work" do you mean it has to someone with experience arbitrating charitble pledges made by NFL players? Or how about someone who has helped others settle bets with themselves? That must be a huge pool of people for Finley to choose from! :D

I wouldn't have done it if I were him, but Finley is putting additional pressure on himself. That's a good think IMO, even with the controversey over number of drops.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think it was smart by Finley to put a greater focus on the number of drops he will have this season but IMO you are making way too much of this.

I made a simple statement, what should have been an obvious point, really, that Finley should consider the implications of pledging against a subjective stat that has been a high profile problem for him. Others decided to debate the point. As far as I'm concerned, others have made more out of the point than it deserves.

By "this work" do you mean it has to someone with experience arbitrating charitble pledges made by NFL players? Or how about someone who has helped others settle bets with themselves? That must be a huge pool of people for Finley to choose from!

By "this work" I meant someone who makes a living out of counting drops. Stats Inc. would be a good choice. While acknowledging your jest, Thx, I must say your denseness on this point is highly uncharacteristic and lacking in your usual insight.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
While acknowledging your jest, Thx, I must say your denseness on this point is highly uncharacteristic and lacking in your usual insight.
“denseness” huh? That’s funny. Here’s my insight: This is not a big deal. This "tweet pledge" will no doubt get too much attention this season but with regard to the Packers’ season it is insignificant. And while others "debated the point" you were the one suggesting he formalize it by having Stats, Inc. - or someone or something similar – involved, which would elevate beyond its importance.

H

HardRightEdge

I see..but i was looking at it in regards to touchdowns. I'll take 70 tho:tup:

TDs are a bit of crap shoot...it depends quite a bit on what the defenses choose to emphasize. Rodgers is about match-ups. Jordy with 15, then Jones with 14...that's Rodgers picking on the D's weakest links.

H

HardRightEdge

“denseness” huh? That’s funny. Here’s my insight: This is not a big deal. This "tweet pledge" will no doubt get too much attention this season but with regard to the Packers’ season it is insignificant. And while others "debated the point" you were the one suggesting he formalize it by having Stats, Inc. - or someone or something similar – involved, which would elevate beyond its importance.

No, not "denseness". I said highly uncharacteristic denseness. That's different.

Here's another insight: if it's not a big deal then quit debating the obvious.

You should have noticed my simple point had nothing to do with the "Packer's season". It was an obvious point about how Mr. Finley might keep this from blowing up in his face. Little chance of that, but my modest suggestion could reduce the odds.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TDs are a bit of crap shoot...it depends quite a bit on what the defenses choose to emphasize. Rodgers is about match-ups. Jordy with 15, then Jones with 14...that's Rodgers picking on the D's weakest links.

Well should we be expecting 12-14 td's from Finley?? i think it's very possible seeing there arn't to many Lb's and safties that can cover him. You would think as much as teams played cover 2 against us he would be putting up big numbers. I sure hope MM can figure out a way to attack the middle of the field with him more as we still havn't seemed to figure out a way to beat Cover2.

H

HardRightEdge

Well should we be expecting 12-14 td's from Finley?? i think it's very possible seeing there arn't to many Lb's and safties that can cover him. You would think as much as teams played cover 2 against us he would be putting up big numbers. I sure hope MM can figure out a way to attack the middle of the field with him more as we still havn't seemed to figure out a way to beat Cover2.

It could be 14, it could be 2. It depends what the defenses emphasize, where Rodgers thinks he has the best odds, and Rodgers' comfort level and confidence in Finley.

I saw several instances in the first half or the year where Rodgers passed up a wide open Finley in the short zones in favor of going down field. Is that a product of a QB who looks for the big play, or a lack of confidence in Finley, or perhaps Finley not being where Rodgers expected him to be. Perhaps some of each.

Rodgers seemed to be getting back some of the old love in the last 7 regular season games after the bye. Perhaps those Rodgers/Finley one-on-ones on Friday (or was it Saturday?) nights made a difference.

Finley's aggregate line for those last 7 games projected over 16 would be a very good year, even with the low TD count:

7 game totals:

32 catches
41 targets
78% completion rate
396 yards
1 TD

Those 7 games projected over 16:

73 catches
94 targets
78% completion rate
905 yards
2 TDs

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that what I said? No, it is not. I said it is a crapshoot.

It could be 14, it could be 4. It depends what the defenses emphasize.

I asked that question figuratively speaking..not really in the sense that you said it. We saw Nelson have a huge yr and Jones have a huge year right after..maybe we should expect for Finley to be next?? is how i should have put it i guess. Besides the defense emphasizes not blitzing #12 and relying on their front for while mixing in a heavy dose of cover 2 and they will until either we get a solid run game, or we learn to attack the middle of the field more. Hence as to why i'm expecting Finley to have a bigger impact.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Finley, but I'd like to see $10,000 donated in TD catches. Maybe the kid is growing up.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
He keeps playing hide the salami with those high quality baby mamas of his ... he'll be catchin' everything BUT touchdowns. Good god, the guy is a moron .... and I've been defending the kid all this time. Sheesh

Members online

Latest posts