Fundamentals

IGHPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From NFL.COM

Back to fundamentals
McCarthy said he would give veterans some time off during the bye week, but the team's practices will focus on fundamentals in all three phases of the game.

"Every time we go and play, those are the root of our improvements and the root of our corrections are fundamentals," he said. "It's always the little stuff.

"We're getting better in a lot of them, most of them actually, but there are still some things we need to get cleaned up, and we'll continue to work."

Most of that fundamental work will be on Tuesday and Wednesday, the practices from which select veterans will be excused, much like certain days during training camp. Thursday's practice will be the first preparation for the Miami game on Oct. 22.

McCarthy emphasized often during training camp that the goal was for the team to improve each day, and without an opponent to prepare for this week, much of the focus in practice turns internal once again.

"Fundamentals -- that's what wins and loses football games, and that's what we're going to go back and do," Jagodzinski said. "That's what we're going to emphasize, and we're going to get better than we were yesterday."

I am getting a little old and may have forgotten, but did we skip training camp and pre-seson this year?? Does anyone know?

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IGHPack said:
I am getting a little old and may have forgotten, but did we skip training camp and pre-seson this year?? Does anyone know?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I guess it can't hurt though.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that he gave them the whole season off.

I really dont understand his "fundamentals" is this the NFL or a high school team?

Sometimes it seems to me that this team has no head nor foot...It will be hard for us to find NORTH in a map.

It is almost mid season, we are 1-4 and MM wants to talk fundamentals???

Good for him, go figure....

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the way this team has performed thusfar, I'd be much more upset if the coaches didn't focus on fundamentals during these extra practices. There's no question that these rookies still need to work on the fundamentals and TC was not enough.

There are plenty of things to criticize this coaching staff about, but drilling rookies on fundamentals should not be one of them.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the coaching staff periodically working on fundamentals.
You have to remember that this is a professional sport and alot of these guys aren't very bright.
A little refresher course every now and then certainly wouldn't hurt anyone no matter what your chosen profession.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Chamuko said:

I really dont understand his "fundamentals" is this the NFL or a high school team?

Sometimes it seems to me that this team has no head nor foot...It will be hard for us to find NORTH in a map.

Or he could just skip that part and let them figure it out for themselves I guess..

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
With the way this team has performed thusfar, I'd be much more upset if the coaches didn't focus on fundamentals during these extra practices. There's no question that these rookies still need to work on the fundamentals and TC was not enough.

There are plenty of things to criticize this coaching staff about, but drilling rookies on fundamentals should not be one of them.

It doesnt matter what he does, people are gonna make it into a negative.

If he didnt say anything, Chamuko would have come on here and said something about how MM needed to get the guys working on fundamentals. We get it, you dont like him. You have no say in the matter so quit talkin about it. He wont get fired this year, he wont get fired next year. In fact i think most people are ok with him so far. Hes shown football smarts, the ability to lead, and the ability to win. Now we gotta focus on the little stuff, and make sure the players execute. and get a whole lot more wins. If he doesnt have it working in the right direction by the end of the year, then you can come spout your verbal vomit all over the forum about how crappy MM is.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Chamuko said:

Or he could just skip that part and let them figure it out for themselves I guess..

yeah thats what a good coach would do right...

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In what sport shouldn't fundamentals be the focus? At what level can you over look them? I don't think you ever can, and I think MM is right on the money. I'm seeing this team get better every week.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Timmons said:
In what sport shouldn't fundamentals be the focus? At what level can you over look them? I don't think you ever can, and I think MM is right on the money. I'm seeing this team get better every week.

In case people thought different, my previous post on this was sarcastic..

I am VERY happy he wants to go over it again with the guys.

Timmons said it perfect...

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fundamentals NEVER go out of style....hence the name..."fundamentals"...derivative of the word foundation....as in, upon which everything is built.

Just being a smart *** at this point....

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm
What a concept!! Blocking, Tackling etc.

My first week of football as a youngster I learned how the RB holds his arms and let the QB put the ball into the gut. Moron-see is grabbing it from the QB and causing fumbles. Where did Moron Moron-see learn his "fundamentals"?

Wrapping the arms around the guy with the ball when tackling is done is taught at least at the Jr. High level.

What was done during the OTA's??
Why is Schottenheimer the only position coach being called out?

It hurts when I talk Packer football with my brother and we remember basic stuff we learned from bad coaches in Jr High and High School and yet Packer players can't do the basics.

So Coach McCarthy what did you do during mini-camps and training camp?? No fumdamentals?? This rookie coaching staff is learning through trial and error.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons said:

So why is he making it a point of emphasis now, and not all the time?

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YERCELL said:
So why is he making it a point of emphasis now, and not all the time?

I hope you're not serious with that comment.

I like McCarthy's plan here. We have gotten better every week with the new guys seeing actual playing time. Now if we can build upon that, we can maybe pull off that streak everyone is looking for. I really think this comment was for the defense though. The offense has looked better each week (O-Line, Jennings, even Franks to an extent). We need to start getting turnovers. That has been a big factor in my opinion.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
Bobby Roberts said:

If he didnt say anything, Chamuko would have come on here and said something about how MM needed to get the guys working on fundamentals. We get it, you dont like him. You have no say in the matter so quit talkin about it. He wont get fired this year, he wont get fired next year. In fact i think most people are ok with him so far. Hes shown football smarts, the ability to lead, and the ability to win. Now we gotta focus on the little stuff, and make sure the players execute. and get a whole lot more wins. If he doesnt have it working in the right direction by the end of the year, then you can come spout your verbal vomit all over the forum about how crappy MM is.

Deal....

If the team still looks bad by lets say december 10 I will be able to post what I think of him, in the meanwhile I will keep it to me...

Just think how bad will most of the posters will speak if it was Sherman and not MM... But you got a deal, and yes I dont like him at all. But I will keep my deal OK?

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
Packnic said:
Bobby Roberts said:

Deal....

If the team still looks bad by lets say december 10 I will be able to post what I think of him, in the meanwhile I will keep it to myself...

Just think how bad will most of the posters will speak if it was Sherman and not MM... But you got a deal, and yes I dont like him at all. But I will keep my deal OK?

Members online

Latest posts