Fußball-Bundesliga

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
That's a good result against Heidenheim. Can't be ashamed at that.

There have been some bad times. Things are going well currently. If they can keep this squad together for next year we could make a run at promotion.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
***OFF-TOPIC***

I'm sure all of you European NFL fans have told your story before, but I am interested in what made you a Packers fan? Was it because of a certain player on the Packers is why you like them? The uniforms? The colors? Something different altogether?

@mhnessie @PackerFan71 @scotscheese

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
***OFF-TOPIC***

I'm sure all of you European NFL fans have told your story before, but I am interested in what made you a Packers fan? Was it because of a certain player on the Packers is why you like them? The uniforms? The colors? Something different altogether?

What made me a Pack fan? I have followed NFL since the mid 80s and i liked another team (for my sins.) Who will remain nameless, their fans for me now seem like high maintenance fickle premadonnas. Yes i know that could be anyone on a list as long as your arm. I realised the error of my ways. :laugh: Anyway i read up about the history of the Packers the traditions (the fan ownership) a thing that Europeans can relate to. And the organization being true to its roots, been a Cheesehead ever since. :)

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
***OFF-TOPIC***

I was interested in US Sports and especially "American Football" since years but wasnt a fan of a specific team, just generally interested.
That changed when I accidentally came to Green Bay where I had to visit a hospital because of my foot that I broke on a trip around the Great Lakes.
I visited Lambeau Field and the Packers HOF and learned a lot about their rich history and tradition.
And I enjoyed the familial atmosphere, you can see and feel that this little town lives and breathes football, Ive never experienced something like this anywhere else before.
Since then I've visited Green Bay several times and even watched two home games at Lambeau Field. Thankfully my wife supports my crazy love for the Packers and enjoys beeing in Green Bay too.
But basically it just happened and i fell in love with the organization, the town and team. Like it happened with HSV Hamburg when i was a little boy.
Very important to me is what PF71 mentioned, its a community owned team and doesnt belong to a profit oriented investment company or some crazy multi billionaire who wants to move the franchise to California or any other destination where he thinks there might be a better market.
That makes Packers unique and this is what all Packers fans can be proud of.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
***OFF-TOPIC***

i've been interested in American Football since i was a kid, and was bought a bears shirt(i know i know) by my aunt. i used to watch the saturday morning programmes on CH4 in the UK, then kinda lost touch of it for a few years.

it was about 96/97 is when we had a new tv channel CH5, and they had most US based sports on late at night including the NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB(boriiiinnnnggggg), just the way the pack played the game with a certain number 04 at Qb, it was both exciting and damn frustrating at times, but from then on i've been a packers fan. lost touch in the NFL again once they lost the UK tv rights. then when i got my own place i got the sports package myself about 5 years ago and re-kindled my love affair with the green and gold, and it has given me many tired mondays at work since. absolutely loved Rodgers SB win, as i can't remember if i saw favres in 97(?).

and since i joined this forum, i've abviously learn3ed more about the organisation, and as PF71 and nessie say, i'm very impressed by the way the team/club/franchise isn't owned by the mad billionaire/profit driven consortium types

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
^^^ All 3 good answers. I never even thought that the way the organization is owned would be a reason. And unfortunately, the way the Packers org is owned, the NFL does not allow that type of ownership any longer. Green Bay is grandfathered.

And Nessie, I'm not sure how you can "accidentally" land in Green Bay. :roflmao:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
What a big difference a few substitutions can make. Wolfsburg had FCB on the run until the second half when Mandzukic, Martinez, and Alcantara came in. After that it was like a shooting match for Bayern. :D

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
What a big difference a few substitutions can make. Wolfsburg had FCB on the run until the second half when Mandzukic, Martinez, and Alcantara came in. After that it was like a shooting match for Bayern. :D

Yeah, Volfsburg played really well in the 1st half. As soon as Bayern got the 2nd goal, it had the domino effect.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Volfsburg played really well in the 1st half. As soon as Bayern got the 2nd goal, it had the domino effect.
Bayern are out of the league for any other Bundesliga team, even Dortmund.
Honestly, its getting boring and people start to show disinterest about their results. Some Bundesliga teams (Frankfurt for example) even let backup players start against Bayern because managers dont want to risk injuries for players of their starting eleven.
Whats exciting at the moment are the dog fights against relegation. Unfortunately I expect my team to take a part of it until the end of the season :rolleyes:
Next week at home against Nuremberg I hope van der Vaart and Lasogga will be back.
But first I have to cross my fingers for Dortmund at Freiburg today....

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Honestly, its getting boring and people start to show disinterest about their results. Some Bundesliga teams (Frankfurt for example) even let backup players start against Bayern because managers dont want to risk injuries for players of their starting eleven.
Whats exciting at the moment are the dog fights against relegation. Unfortunately I expect my team to take a part of it until the end of the season :rolleyes:
Next week at home against Nuremberg I hope van der Vaart and Lasogga will be back.

I agree. It'll be a relief when Bayern finally loses one. Even I am taking more interest in the relegation fights and the fight for 2,3,4 than I am about watching my favorite team.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Watched some 2.Liga this morning.

Paderborn was on fire coming out of the winter break, but Karlsruhe clobbered them today 4:0. Karlsruhe has a good chance at gaining the 2nd or 3rd spot.

Thankfully, 1.FC Koeln pulled out a lucky win over bottom club Energie Cottbus. Koeln still looking good for aufstieg.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched some 2.Liga this morning.

Paderborn was on fire coming out of the winter break, but Karlsruhe clobbered them today 4:0. Karlsruhe has a good chance at gaining the 2nd or 3rd spot.

Thankfully, 1.FC Koeln pulled out a lucky win over bottom club Energie Cottbus. Koeln still looking good for aufstieg.
No doubt, Köln will be back next season ! :tup:
They belong to the Bundesliga, much more than Volkswagen or Hoffenheim ever will do.
Delighted to see that Bielefeld won against Aue, hope Bochum pulls out a win against Furth as well.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Haha... Respekt nach Ried.

A fan of SV Ried goes over to the Red Bull Salzburg fan section and gives them the business.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Haha... Respekt nach Ried.

A fan of SV Ried goes over to the Red Bull Salzburg fan section and gives them the business.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Thank the lord for blurred Pixels. a horrific sight, The streaker is pretty rad givin it to the man. :roflmao:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is rich therefor innocent because he can buy his freedom. :mad:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26512965

Now its suddenly more than 18m Euros, wow :eek:
This has been the headlines everywhere this afternoon.
Tax law says when its more than 1 m (!) probation isnt possible anymore. I expect him to be sentenced to jail, even Uli Hoeness cant get out of this. It might have been possible with 3.5 m, somehow, but no way with 18m.
Sad ending for one of the most important personalities in German football.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Now its suddenly more than 18m Euros, wow :eek:
This has been the headlines everywhere this afternoon.
Tax law says when its more than 1 m (!) probation isnt possible anymore. I expect him to be sentenced to jail, even Uli Hoeness cant get out of this. It might have been possible with 3.5 m, somehow, but no way with 18m.
Sad ending for one of the most important personalities in German football.

Really nessie you think thats finished him? or will he squirm off the hook i don't know..................:unsure:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really nessie you think thats finished him? or will he squirm off the hook i don't know..................:unsure:
No way PackerFan71. Just watching one of the many special broadcasts tonight. Most of the experts, lawyers and judges they ask say its very, very likely that he is sentenced to prison.
I think what might be possible is that he gets day release. We will know better on Thursday ;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Bayern should sever ties with him and distance themselves from him. Unfortunately there are famous Moguls in the U.S. guilty of similar transgressions. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and others use foreign accounts to avoid paying taxes and what is sad is that they are exploiting a loophole in U.S. tax law.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Tax law says when its more than 1 m (!) probation isnt possible anymore. I expect him to be sentenced to jail, even Uli Hoeness cant get out of this.

History has swung German attitudes around 180 degrees. It has become a very anti-authoritarian state. I used to argue with police about things that would get me smacked in the head in Toronto... (never mind the U.S. evil empire).

One thing the law in Deutschland does take seriously is tax cheats. No doubt about that.

---
(that said I'd rather be Uli Hoeness than Michael Schumacher right now).

Members online

Latest posts