Fußball-Bundesliga

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pull for 1. FC Köln. My ethnicity is about 95% german, 5% Czech. I'm a big beer guy and I've traveled to Germany 8 times now for drinking and fuβball excursions. Originally, my travels took me to cities where the beer is part of the city and culture itself (Köln/Kölsch bier, Düsseldorf/Altbier, Bamberg/Rauchbier... etc).

I fell in love with Bamberg and Köln. Bamberg has a team in the 4.Regionalliga Bayern League and I always go see them too and sit with the other 300 fans that show up for them. So Köln and Bamberg I support with a little Fortuna Düsseldorf on the side.

However, when it comes to Champions League, I root for all Bundesliga teams to make it far, hoping one of them wins it all. Regardless of that, I just enjoy watching Bundesliga games whether I like the teams or not.

I never really had a EPL team I rooted for, but people like Sandolf made me choose one. So I stayed with the beer theme of picking teams so I pull for the Newcastle Brown Ale Magpies. Although they seem more like the Frenchpies these days.

Wow...I guess you know thats a little bit like supporting Packers and Bears, 1860 and Bayern or HSV and St. Pauli ;):D
However, Köln is one of the teams with the richest history and most passionate football fans in German football, good choice.:tup:;)
So from where are you travelling to Germany for your football and beer excursions ? Sounds interesting as football and beer fit together perfectly :D

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Wow...I guess you know thats a little bit like supporting Packers and Bears, 1860 and Bayern or HSV and St. Pauli ;):D
However, Köln is one of the teams with the richest history and most passionate football fans in German football, good choice.:tup:;)
So from where are you travelling to Germany for your football and beer excursions ? Sounds interesting as football and beer fit together perfectly :D

You know, surprisingly I originally thought the same that Fortuna Düsseldorf and Köln were Rhein rivals, and it actually isn't. Köln's rival is against Borussia Monchengladbach. They can't stand each other. Düsseldorf and Köln get along quite well. I got to go to both stadiums, and I was re-assured of this.... and I drew a breath of relief. :D

I have respect for both teams, but I love the city and people of Köln better, so that was my choice. Thankfully, me Billy Goats appear headed for promotion this year back to the 1.Liga.

I travel mostly in Franconia (Ober Franken) and some in Bavaria. Nürnberg, Bamberg, Wurzburg, Augsburg, Kulmbach, Fürth, Aschaffenburg, Hof... with some quick trips to Munich area, and Köln of course. Getting some soccer games in between cities as much as possible.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, surprisingly I originally thought the same that Fortuna Düsseldorf and Köln were Rhein rivals, and it actually isn't. Köln's rival is against Borussia Monchengladbach. They can't stand each other. Düsseldorf and Köln get along quite well. I got to go to both stadiums, and I was re-assured of this.... and I drew a breath of relief. :D

I have respect for both teams, but I love the city and people of Köln better, so that was my choice. Thankfully, me Billy Goats appear headed for promotion this year back to the 1.Liga.

I travel mostly in Franconia (Ober Franken) and some in Bavaria. Nürnberg, Bamberg, Wurzburg, Augsburg, Kulmbach, Fürth, Aschaffenburg, Hof... with some quick trips to Munich area, and Köln of course. Getting some soccer games in between cities as much as possible.

You may be right Bundesbiers, the rivalry between Cologne and Gladbach is much more lively nowadays, Dusseldorf wasnt an opponent for Köln for many years so maybe thats why? ;)

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
You may be right Bundesbiers, the rivalry between Cologne and Gladbach is much more lively nowadays, Dusseldorf wasnt an opponent for Köln for many years so maybe thats why? ;)

Makes a lot of sense Nessie. I think Köln and Dusseldorf are more interested in arguing over who has the better appellation bier. :D But I'm not biased, I'll drink both Kolsch and Altiber. :tup:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
A couple of you guys may appreciate this, but I was tasked by some German journalists who cover the 4. Regionalliga Bayern league. I briefly met them this September (few months ago) in Bamberg while I attended some games in the area. They seemed amused that I would come all the way from the USA to see some lower division games as well as my appreciation for Franconia (mainly Oberfranken). So, they have been conducting some foreign (non-German, therefore non-biased) views of Bundesliaga fansongs/stadium hymns. My task was to listen to all (or what I could find on YouTube) songs of all teams from the 1.Liga to the 3.Liga and give my Top 10 as to which teams have the best songs/stadion hymns. Some teams had more than 1 song (modern/original), so it took some time to sit down and evaluate all the teams songs, but I finally came up with "my" 10 favorite team songs (some teams I even downright hate but the song was good so I had to be unbiased and add it). Now, I just have to rank them from 1-10. When that is complete, I will pass them on here and see what you guys think.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of you guys may appreciate this, but I was tasked by some German journalists who cover the 4. Regionalliga Bayern league. I briefly met them this September (few months ago) in Bamberg while I attended some games in the area. They seemed amused that I would come all the way from the USA to see some lower division games as well as my appreciation for Franconia (mainly Oberfranken). So, they have been conducting some foreign (non-German, therefore non-biased) views of Bundesliaga fansongs/stadium hymns. My task was to listen to all (or what I could find on YouTube) songs of all teams from the 1.Liga to the 3.Liga and give my Top 10 as to which teams have the best songs/stadion hymns. Some teams had more than 1 song (modern/original), so it took some time to sit down and evaluate all the teams songs, but I finally came up with "my" 10 favorite team songs (some teams I even downright hate but the song was good so I had to be unbiased and add it). Now, I just have to rank them from 1-10. When that is complete, I will pass them on here and see what you guys think.
I look forward to your Top 10 Bundesbiers, sounds interesting :)
Did you listen to our HSV song as well ? "HSV forever and ever", embarrassing and stupid mix of German lyrics and English chorus but hey, if you had a couple of beers nobody cares anymore :D

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I look forward to your Top 10 Bundesbiers, sounds interesting :)
Did you listen to our HSV song as well ? "HSV forever and ever", embarrassing and stupid mix of German lyrics and English chorus but hey, if you had a couple of beers nobody cares anymore :D

I listened to every team song in the current top 3 leagues, and some teams had more than 1 fansong. So it got quite interesting dwindling it down to 10. There was some tough cuts in the 11-15th place.

As it sorted out, here's the breakdown between the 3 top divisions.

1.Liga - 3 team songs from this division made the top 10
2.Liga - 3 team songs from this division made the top 10
3.Liga - 4 team songs from this division made the top 10.

I'll post him here after I finalized the rankings which will be soon. It was a fun little project.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just received the latest edition of 11 Freunde, cover story is about Thomas Müller ;)
I somehow like him and his latest English language mistake makes him even more likeable ("we have a big breast")
I guess you guys remember ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This month with a stadium poster of the Rot Weiss Essen Stadium, awesome new stadium. Small, only 20.000 seats. The decline of Rot Weiss Essen makes me sad , one of the teams with the richest history and tradition in German football. Instead of them we got plastic teams like Hoffenheim, Volkswagen or soon Red Bull Leipzig playing Bundesliga. :rolleyes:
Btw - the monthly 11 Freunde stadium poster is one of the main reasons why I like to read this magazine. I hope they will do this for British teams and their stadiums too.

What else is going on in German Bundesliga ?
HSV plays Mainz tomorrow, another game they should win but didnt I say this before they played Augsburg too? :rolleyes:
Bayern wont play this weekend as they are currently playing the Fifa Club World Cup in Morocco.
Another tournament nobody wants or needs.
Manageable games for Dortmund against Hertha and Leverkusen at Bremen.
Im afraid this will be a very boring season as I expect Bayern to become "Deutscher Meister" with at least 12 or 15 points ahead of Leverkusen or Dortmund.....:barefoot:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Just received the latest edition of 11 Freunde, cover story is about Thomas Müller ;)
I somehow like him and his latest English language mistake makes him even more likeable ("we have a big breast")
I guess you guys remember ;)

This month with a stadium poster of the Rot Weiss Essen Stadium, awesome new stadium. Small, only 20.000 seats. The decline of Rot Weiss Essen makes me sad , one of the teams with the richest history and tradition in German football. Instead of them we got plastic teams like Hoffenheim, Volkswagen or soon Red Bull Leipzig playing Bundesliga. :rolleyes:
Btw - the monthly 11 Freunde stadium poster is one of the main reasons why I like to read this magazine. I hope they will do this for British teams and their stadiums too.

HSV plays Mainz tomorrow, another game they should win but didnt I say this before they played Augsburg too? :rolleyes:
Bayern wont play this weekend as they are currently playing the Fifa Club World Cup in Morocco.
Im afraid this will be a very boring season as I expect Bayern to become "Deutscher Meister" with at least 12 or 15 points ahead of Leverkusen or Dortmund.....:barefoot:

I hate Hoffenheim as does the fans of Bamberg. We call them Hoppenheim. :roflmao: There's one guy I talk to there all of the time, and he's been educating me on the history of teams, even smaller teams like in the 4.Liga. I get real interested in all that stuff.

I'm hoping the Der Cluberer's climb out of the drop zone. I'd hate to see them or Freiburg go down.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
So here's my TOP 10 Bundesliga fan songs/Stadion hymne's. Feel free to criticize my selections, as I have thick skin.

#10 - MSV Duisburg

#9 - Stuttgarter Kickers

#8 FC Hansa Rostock (Hate this team, but a pretty cool tune)

#7 - Werder Bremen

#6 - FC Rot-Weiss Erfurt

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
#5 - Union Berlin - Eisern Union

#4 - FC Augsburg - Old song that stood the test of time.

#3 - VFR Aalen

#2 - 1. FC Koeln

#1 - SC Freiburg - I love how they incorporate their local bier and wein in the song. That's great. Awesome song.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I guess you guys remember
;)

Müller comes across as a normal guy, (even if he does play for the munich club). :sneaky: His english gaffe recently made me like him a bit more. :)

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice selection Bundesbiers. :tup:
I listened to all songs you chose and my No. 1 would be the 1. FC Koeln song.
Its a nice song and very authentic because its sung by "Die Hoehner", a local band you might know as
a Koeln fan ! ;)
The Freiburg song wouldnt have made my personal Top 10 as I think its kind of boring but perhaps just a matter of personal music taste.
I've never heard the Kickers Stuttgart and RW Erfurt anthem before, they are surprisingly good or even very good! Great choice.
The song of Werder Bremen is like the team, club and their sponsor (Wiesenhof), just tasteless but perhaps Im not fair when it comes to Werder Bremen :cautious::p
And yes I might be a homer but I think "Hamburg meine Perle" deserves to be in the Top 10, nice song and much better than the official "HSV Forever" stadium anthem.
I also must admit that the Hansa Rostock song is quite good though I cant stand Hansa. Its sung by Puhdys, a former GDR Rock band.
I think Stern des Suedens, the FC Bayern Munich anthem should be at least mentioned too though they didnt make your Top 10 as well. Not a bad song for a team that has no real fan culture (sorry Croak but its true, compareable with Pats fans, most of them are bandwagoners)

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Nessie. I really wanted to put the 1. FC Koeln song but figured I would be labeled as being biased since I'm a Koeln fan, but I really loved the SC Freiburg song. Quite jovial. In fact I liked it so much on my next trip to Germany, I will go see a game at Freiburg. I always wanted to see the black forest anyways.

Hopefully you can take some solace in the fact that Hamburg meine Perle made my list at #15. Perhaps if were a little faster or more upbeat, it would have made my top 10, but it was a great song.

And I hated the fact that I had to put Hansa in the top 10. I hate their fans and the team, but it was a good song. I also agree with you regarding the GDR.

I tried not to go on lyrics when selecting the top 10, and I even had to use google translate to understand some of the songs. I was just asked to select songs that would make me want to sing them at the stadium, and which songs really moved me.

I loved the lyrics to RW Erfurt. They shamed Carl Ziess Jena and they have a phrase in the song, "**** Bayern, and to the rest good night". LOL... that was great. Simply genius.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard the VFR Aalen song. I wasn't expecting to hear anything great, but it was an awesome song.

I submitted my results to bfv.tv as did 4 other non-germans I'm told. Cant wait to see the overall results.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Nice selection Bundesbiers. :tup:
I listened to all songs you chose and my No. 1 would be the 1. FC Koeln song.
Its a nice song and very authentic because its sung by "Die Hoehner", a local band you might know as
a Koeln fan ! ;)
The Freiburg song wouldnt have made my personal Top 10 as I think its kind of boring but perhaps just a matter of personal music taste.
I've never heard the Kickers Stuttgart and RW Erfurt anthem before, they are surprisingly good or even very good! Great choice.
The song of Werder Bremen is like the team, club and their sponsor (Wiesenhof), just tasteless but perhaps Im not fair when it comes to Werder Bremen :cautious::p
And yes I might be a homer but I think "Hamburg meine Perle" deserves to be in the Top 10, nice song and much better than the official "HSV Forever" stadium anthem.
I also must admit that the Hansa Rostock song is quite good though I cant stand Hansa. Its sung by Puhdys, a former GDR Rock band.
I think Stern des Suedens, the FC Bayern Munich anthem should be at least mentioned too though they didnt make your Top 10 as well. Not a bad song for a team that has no real fan culture (sorry Croak but its true, compareable with Pats fans, most of them are bandwagoners)

Stern des Suedens is a neat song. Haters gonna hate. :cool:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Stern des Suedens is a neat song. Haters gonna hate. :cool:

To be honest, I don't hate Bayern. When it comes to Champions League, I root for all Bundesliga teams, even if it means Bayern wins it all. Atleast its a German team, and that makes me happy to know the best league in der welt won champions league as opposed to some La Liga or Scheissclay Premier league team. :roflmao:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't hate Bayern. When it comes to Champions League, I root for all Bundesliga teams, even if it means Bayern wins it all. Atleast its a German team, and that makes me happy to know the best league in der welt won champions league as opposed to some La Liga or Scheissclay Premier league team. :roflmao:

Durn tootin right, a team of Scheisscay Premier chancers won in 2012 in someones backyard. I remember being quite pleased. :cool::D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Nessie. I really wanted to put the 1. FC Koeln song but figured I would be labeled as being biased since I'm a Koeln fan, but I really loved the SC Freiburg song. Quite jovial. In fact I liked it so much on my next trip to Germany, I will go see a game at Freiburg. I always wanted to see the black forest anyways.

Hopefully you can take some solace in the fact that Hamburg meine Perle made my list at #15. Perhaps if were a little faster or more upbeat, it would have made my top 10, but it was a great song.

And I hated the fact that I had to put Hansa in the top 10. I hate their fans and the team, but it was a good song. I also agree with you regarding the GDR.

I tried not to go on lyrics when selecting the top 10, and I even had to use google translate to understand some of the songs. I was just asked to select songs that would make me want to sing them at the stadium, and which songs really moved me.

I loved the lyrics to RW Erfurt. They shamed Carl Ziess Jena and they have a phrase in the song, "**** Bayern, and to the rest good night". LOL... that was great. Simply genius.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard the VFR Aalen song. I wasn't expecting to hear anything great, but it was an awesome song.

I submitted my results to bfv.tv as did 4 other non-germans I'm told. Cant wait to see the overall results.

Really nice idea anyway Bundesbiers and it needs real passion for football to listen to all of them because some songs are simply awful and only bareable when you had a couple beers before listening to it :D
I forgot to mention the Union Berlin song with Nina Hagen, another great choice by you because this song, the team and the stadium are iconic ! :tup:
Hope you let us know if you got your overall results? ;)

Members online

Latest posts