Fußball-Bundesliga

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Come on, do you expect us Europeans to know the football rules Sandolf ? :eek: :D

It's like they forgot to tell Manni Burgsmueller that he should try and make a tackle on a missed FG instead of running for his life!

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Of course I do, also known as the magic triangle ;)
Croak, you should know the left guy because he played for Bayern as well, in the middle is the current director of sport VfB Stuttgart and on the right side is a former Bulgarian International who failed as a Bundesliga manager with Kaiserslautern in 2012. :cool:

I know all of these guys, but their names elude......Giováne Élber and Bobic in the middle? yeah ok i admit i looked them up. I remember the Bulgarian guy from the 94 World Cup.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know all of these guys, but their names elude......Giováne Élber and Bobic in the middle? yeah ok i admit i looked them up. I remember the Bulgarian guy from the 94 World Cup.
Pretty good, PackerFan71. :tup:
From left to right - Giovane Elber, Fredi Bobic and Krassimir Balakov. ;)

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Pretty good, PackerFan71. :tup:
From left to right - Giovane Elber, Fredi Bobic and Krassimir Balakov. ;)

VfB was fun to watch in those days. Elber should have never went to FC Bayern. Just one of many players that have fallen into that trap. It would be interesting to draw up a list. Klinsmann, Ballack, Klose...

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Ok i had to post this Magnificent away kit from this Mottley Crew of jammie dodgems. They sneaked past Scotland 2-1 should have been a draw. :cry::D How many players can you name? i got 6 or 7 i think...........:unsure::whistling:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Here is my best guess...

Back: Thomas Berthold, Bodo Illgner, Thomas Helmer, Rudi Völler, Ulf Kirsten, Lothar Matthäus
Front: Steffen Freund, Olaf Thon, Jörg Heinrich, Karlheinz Riedle, Andreas Brehme

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Back row : ? Schumacher, ? Völler, Magatz, Matthäus
Front : Augenthaler, Thon, ?, ? , Brehme

I know two of the other four but forget their names. :)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back row : ? Schumacher, ? Völler, Magatz, Matthäus
Front : Augenthaler, Thon, ?, ? , Brehme

I know two of the other four but forget their names. :)

You guys are both pretty close, awesome, especially because you both arent German what makes it more difficult for you than for guys like me who grew up with them! :tup:

Back row: Thomas Berthold, Toni Schumacher, Karl-Heinz Briegel (Die Walz aus der Pfalz), Rudi Voeller, Felix Magath, Lothar Matthäus
Front: Klaus Augenthaler, Olaf Thon, Karl-Heinz Förster, Norbert Eder, Andreas Brehme

Norbert Eder was a difficult for me too because he only played a few games for our National team.
Nice memory.
And here is another one, this might be a little bit easier ?

Last edited:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score

I'll give this one a go too.

Back: Thomas Berthold, Bodo Illgner, Olaf Marschall, ***** Buchwald, Rudi Völler, Klaus Augenthaler
Front: Pierre Littbarski, Andreas Brehme, Thomas Hässler, Jürgen Klinsmann, Lothar Matthäus

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give this one a go too.

Back: Thomas Berthold, Bodo Illgner, Olaf Marschall, ***** Buchwald, Rudi Völler, Klaus Augenthaler
Front: Pierre Littbarski, Andreas Brehme, Thomas Hässler, Jürgen Klinsmann, Lothar Matthäus
Nearly perfect :tup:;)
Its Jurgen Kohler instead Olaf Marschall but Im impressed of you guys and how much you know about German
football. :cool:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Nearly perfect :tup:;)
Its Jurgen Kohler instead Olaf Marschall but Im impressed of you guys and how much you know about German
football. :cool:

Vielen Dank mhnessie. My mistake with the first picture is that I over thought it. It is easy to know that Franz Beckenbauer and Lukas Podolski did not play on the same team. I was more trying to match footballers from a certain era rather than just trusting my gut feeling... (which was correct with Augenthaler and Schumacher).

Kohler's mustache must have led me to Olaf Marschall... (as I was just going on looks this time). But logically I should have been thinking defender insteaad of striker considering who else was in that squad.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
You guys are both pretty close, awesome, especially because you both arent German what makes it more difficult for you than for guys like me who grew up with them! :tup:

Back row: Thomas Berthold, Toni Schumacher, Karl-Heinz Briegel (Die Walz aus der Pfalz), Rudi Voeller, Felix Magath, Lothar Matthäus
Front: Klaus Augenthaler, Olaf Thon, Karl-Heinz Förster, Norbert Eder, Andreas Brehme

Norbert Eder was a difficult for me too because he only played a few games for our National team.
Nice memory.

Karl-Heinz Briegel (Die Walz aus der Pfalz) yeah i knew him......i would never have got Förster or Norbert Eder i wonder where ''Kalle'' Rummenigge is must have been injured or rested that day........
That 1990 squad is a bit easier Nessie, the only ones i had trouble aswell with were Berthold again and Kohler. Awful haircut on Klinsmann. :laugh: Ha good old ***** Buchwald the clumsy defender i quite liked him no idea why. :D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Karl-Heinz Briegel (Die Walz aus der Pfalz) yeah i knew him......i would never have got Förster or Norbert Eder i wonder where ''Kalle'' Rummenigge is must have been injured or rested that day........
That 1990 squad is a bit easier Nessie, the only ones i had trouble aswell with were Berthold again and Kohler. Awful haircut on Klinsmann. :laugh: Ha good old ***** Buchwald the clumsy defender i quite liked him no idea why. :D

***** Buchwald got his new nickname "Diego" during the WC 90 tournament, really funny but he was in the prime of his career these days. And no, I wouldnt call him a football "player", like Hans-Peter Briegel a typical German defender in the 80's and 90's. ;)
Maybe interesting for Sandolf, Diego Buchwald startet his career with the Stuttgarter Kickers !

Btw - I just noticed a mistake on the first picture from 1986. Of course its Klaus Allofs and not Olaf Thon, must be Augenthaler, Allofs, Förster.... My bad :eek::D
Anyway, I wonder if I would recognize so many Scottish or English players on a picture from the 80's or 90's....? I dont think so.... :cautious:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
***** Buchwald got his new nickname "Diego" during the WC 90 tournament, really funny but he was in the prime of his career these days. And no, I wouldnt call him a football "player", like Hans-Peter Briegel a typical German defender in the 80's and 90's. ;)
Maybe interesting for Sandolf, Diego Buchwald startet his career with the Stuttgarter Kickers !

Btw - I just noticed a mistake on the first picture from 1986. Of course its Klaus Allofs and not Olaf Thon, must be Augenthaler, Allofs, Förster.... My bad :eek::D
Anyway, I wonder if I would recognize so many Scottish or English players on a picture from the 80's or 90's....? I dont think so.... :cautious:

Just goes to show Germans have an ironic sense of humor calling him "Diego" thats brilliant! :roflmao:
I thought that nessie, it was the tache that prompted my guess at Thon. Something told me it wasnt Thon though. :tup:
From 1986 Mexico WC give it a look nessie see if you can pick out one or two. :)

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just goes to show Germans have an ironic sense of humor calling him "Diego" thats brilliant! :roflmao:
I thought that nessie, it was the tache that prompted my guess at Thon. Something told me it wasnt Thon though. :tup:
From 1986 Mexico WC give it a look nessie see if you can pick out one or two. :)

Hmmmm.....thats tough PackerFan71....
Back row on the left is Gordon Strachan. Front row on the right Graeme Souness.
I also think Steve Archibald must have played for Scotland these days, might be the second guy from the left, front row ? Goalie should be Jim Leighton. :cautious:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....thats tough PackerFan71....
Back row on the left is Gordon Strachan. Front row on the right Graeme Souness.
I also think Steve Archibald must have played for Scotland these days, might be the second guy from the left, front row ? Goalie should be Jim Leighton. :cautious:

You aint wrong Nessie thats a toughie allrite, heres the full squad.

Back row : Strachan, Sharp, Narey, Gough, Leighton, Aitken
Front row : McStay, Nicol, Albiston, Sturrock, Miller

Souness was in the squad Nessie but foolishly by Fergie of all people he was left out for most of the games. :rolleyes: Steve Nicol was coach at D.C. United for a bit i think.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
You aint wrong Nessie thats a toughie allrite, heres the full squad.

Back row : Strachan, Sharp, Narey, Gough, Leighton, Aitken
Front row : McStay, Nicol, Albiston, Sturrock, Miller

Souness was in the squad Nessie but foolishly by Fergie of all people he was left out for most of the games. :rolleyes: Steve Nicol was coach at D.C. United for a bit i think.

....aaaaaah, but this guy on the right and his mustache look a little bit like Souness :oops::D
Of course I know Steve Nicol but I did not recognize him on this picture. And no Steve Archibald.... ? :(
I thought he played for Scotland these days... ;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
....aaaaaah, but this guy on the right and his mustache look a little bit like Souness :oops::D
Of course I know Steve Nicol but I did not recognize him on this picture. And no Steve Archibald.... ? :(
I thought he played for Scotland these days...
;)

Ha yepp he does look a bit like Souness thats ''Windy'' Willie Miller the Defender at Aberdeen.
And yes your correct Steve Archibald who was banging them in at Barcelona at the time was in the squad but not even playing...................unreal. :eek::mad::rolleyes:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score

Jürgen Klinsmann as well... (which just preceded my arrival in Germany). ***** Buchwald was just deposed from his management position with the Kickers recently. I remember him mostly for his contributions the the VfB club that won the Deutsche Meisterschaft in '91-'92.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Strachan nearly joined FC Köln in the mid 80s but Manu stepped in with more cash. The Germans were very impressed with his performance against them in 86.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jürgen Klinsmann as well... (which just preceded my arrival in Germany). ***** Buchwald was just deposed from his management position with the Kickers recently. I remember him mostly for his contributions the the VfB club that won the Deutsche Meisterschaft in '91-'92.
You are right, Jurgem Klinsmann as well. I really forgot that he started his career with Kickers Stuttgart.
And some more well known former (Bundesliga) players like Fredi Bobic, Robert Prosinecki or Jonathan Akpoborie played for Kickers. But did you notice that Kickers are also well known for their very successful Field Hockey team ? The son of my workmate plays for them in the German Bundesliga.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
But did you notice that Kickers are also well known for their very successful Field Hockey team ? The son of my workmate plays for them in the German Bundesliga.

Crooked stick ball hockey? No... never noticed that. A neighbour of mine thought I might like the game based on my experience with ice hockey. It is tough because you have difficulty breaking the habit of using your feet or the backhand side of the stick. I caught on with his team as a goalkeeper. My career lasted less than one complete game. I was red carded and not invited back... (unsportsmanlike conduct).

In short... a guy was running at me on a breakaway and I noticed he had his head down. I rushed out at him and stacked the pads Hasek style. I got a piece of the ball and it bounded harmlessly away. But the opposing player took a flyer into the net. That was the end of field hockey for me.

Members online

Latest posts