Fringe benefit of all these injuries

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Ok, we are all not thrilled with our team's lengthy injury list.

However, on the bright side of things...

Our young guys are getting invaluable game time this season. Some of these guys didn't dream of getting so much NFL action this season (or ever).
  • Quarless.
  • Swain.
  • Crabtree.
  • Bulaga.
  • Lang.
  • CJ Wilson.
  • Wynn.
  • Shields.
  • Zombo.
  • Bishop.
I am sure I missed others.

My point is that next season (hopefully there is one), this team will be stocked with valuable veteran players. Sure, some may not pan out, but look at the list above. Most of those guys are doing well. Some are doing very well. Put Burnett and Neal back in the list and it gets even rosier.

Will some of these guys be used as trade bait? What do you think?

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
well i mean the injuries do blow rocks but at the sametime its good to find out what our young players are capable of

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. Add our key players that will be back and healthy, and thats quite the team. That's the beauty of not putting everything on the line for one season. You build through the draft so you can have a good team that can contend for years.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves, this season is just starting :)

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Yep. Add our key players that will be back and healthy, and thats quite the team. That's the beauty of not putting everything on the line for one season. You build through the draft so you can have a good team that can contend for years.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves, this season is just starting :)

season is kinda half over :mellow:

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we can nail at least 2 more draft picks, and find depth in our other picks, which I'm confident we will bring in some good talent...I'm excited that guys are getting some good playing time, you can't downplay it, the season is what it is...I think this season will have some nice highpoints...potential playoff win...next season...we could only be better

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
mind u though charles woodson and al harris are getting kinda old. we will need replacements

Reaction score
Our D line took the biggest hit with injuries. Jenkins and Pickett are still playing but they've been banged up. Neal and Jolly are gone. Then its a drop off to wynn and CJ Wilson. You got to give them credit for staying in there all game and playing their butts off, but it's still a drop off of talent from the guys ive mentioned above.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CJ WILSON was who forced the PICK-6 from Favre, He got chopped blocked and didn't give up on the play and forced Favre to throw it off balance, great play for CJ...cause that was the game winning Play for us! NOT BAD from a 7th Round Rookie Draft Pick

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not psychic, but I envision a point at the end of the season where 2 commentators are discussing the Packers and one says to the other " what is really scary is how good will they be next season when they get all those players bavk"

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Not only do I have to applaud the Packers for doing well for themselves despite the injuries. And we are probably one of the few teams that can trade our back ups for starters. Also I know our run D took a hit but we did pretty good against AP. Sure he may of had a few break aways but nothing too notable.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea he didn't have a gamebreaking run, which is usually pretty common, he got his production that's for sure, but no 80 yard TD run from him, that's what would kill us

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a great way to look at our injury situation. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who can say Ted hasn't drafted well with a straight face. Simple fact is we had 3rd string guys on our defensive line for the whole friggin game and they found a way to hold their own. Of course there's a drop off, but that's what happens when you get to the point where your back-ups back-ups are playing. More reps just means they'll get better.

Tramon Williams is showing he'll be able to replace Charles Woodson. The guy is just playing solid. Sam Shields and Pat Lee look to be decent replacements for Harris, especially considering neither has a ton of experience. Both should improve dramatically as time goes on.

All in all the future is looking bright, though this season's not over either. We're at the half way point now, and if we can just get our d-line guys back healthy, we still have a real shot at winning the division.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who can say Ted hasn't drafted well with a straight face.
I don't think it'd be hard, I just think the people who would say that probably have one of those Favre jerseys in their closet that's half a Vikings jersey and half a Packers jersey.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, we are all not thrilled with our team's lengthy injury list.

However, on the bright side of things...

Our young guys are getting invaluable game time this season. Some of these guys didn't dream of getting so much NFL action this season (or ever).
  • Quarless.
  • Swain.
  • Crabtree.
  • Bulaga.
  • Lang.
  • CJ Wilson.
  • Wynn.
  • Shields.
  • Zombo.
  • Bishop.
I am sure I missed others.

My point is that next season (hopefully there is one), this team will be stocked with valuable veteran players. Sure, some may not pan out, but look at the list above. Most of those guys are doing well. Some are doing very well. Put Burnett and Neal back in the list and it gets even rosier.

Will some of these guys be used as trade bait? What do you think?

I agree and disagree. It is "neat" that the backups get some playing time. Depth is clearly something NFL teams need. Wynn got a sack on Favre... Zombo looked good against the Bears... Wilson's hit caused an interception last night.

With that said, the point of playing in the NFL is to win the Super Bowl. A team needs their best players to win the Super Bowl. I'd rather have Barnett, Finley, Grant, Neal and Burnett on the field and the players listed above learning from the sidelines.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon Williams is showing he'll be able to replace Charles Woodson. The guy is just playing solid. Sam Shields and Pat Lee look to be decent replacements for Harris, especially considering neither has a ton of experience. Both should improve dramatically as time goes on.

If Williams replaces Woodson, who replaces Williams?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree and disagree. It is "neat" that the backups get some playing time. Depth is clearly something NFL teams need. Wynn got a sack on Favre... Zombo looked good against the Bears... Wilson's hit caused an interception last night.

With that said, the point of playing in the NFL is to win the Super Bowl. A team needs their best players to win the Super Bowl. I'd rather have Barnett, Finley, Grant, Neal and Burnett on the field and the players listed above learning from the sidelines.

I totally agree...you win in this league with your best players on the field, but as of right now, guys like CJ WILSON & WYNN & SHIELDS & ANTHONY SMITH & ZOMBO...they ARE the best players we got...we are all aware of the drop in talent with all the injuries, just simply pointing out these guys can make a few plays & have enough ability to contribute enough to win games...gotta move on

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
C.J. Wilson is turning into a good player for us on the D line!! I've been rooting for the guy ever since he dropped to us in the 7th.

Also, if the injuries cost us big time, we will only get higher draft picks for next year (or the year after that) which would mean even better incoming draft prospects. GB is poised for greatness. Hope there is a season next year.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam Shields. He is gonna be a good one with time. Still learning the position, but he has all the skills. And he is getting reps now as the nickel back.

very optimistic about a nickle back with less than half a season of experience... I hope you're right.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think anyone here will disagree with that. But it is what it is and we don't have the good fortune of having all those guys for the rest of the year. Instead we have backups who are getting valuable game time, which will prove to beneficial later on.

Latest posts