Free Agents - Pick 7 Players

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franklin could be the running back version of Randall Cobb. Do some outside runs or tosses and do a lot in the receiving end of things. Then Harris takes Starks role. That leaves Starks as the odd man out. Gone, picked up by the Vikings to replace Gerhart as AP's backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franklin could be the running back version of Randall Cobb. Do some outside runs or tosses and do a lot in the receiving end of things. Then Harris takes Starks role. That leaves Starks as the odd man out. Gone, picked up by the Vikings to replace Gerhart as AP's backup.

Franklin needs to show the ability to block before he will be doing much receiving

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hasn't had enough opportunities. He wasn't a bad blocker in college.

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the "no brainer"-class:

CB Shields - he isn't just the best corner on the roster, I'm pretty sure he still got some upside left. needs to get paid!

the "depends-on-the-money"-class:

DE Jolly - well, basically he needs a class of it's own because of how his serious neck injury works out at the end. but assuming he'll be fine he would be one of my top choices to keep around. despite his long absence from football he was every bit the Johnny Jolly we knew from 2009 (at least until the last couple of weeks when he seemed to run out of gas). I don't expect we need to break the bank to keep him around.
TE Quarless - we don't need an extra hole on that position, so resigning him would make a lot of sense. I don't expect he could generate that much interest given his injury history and the fact, that he's not a top TE at all.

ILB Lattimore - good special teamer and capable back up. his playing time increased due to injuries last season. this could have been enough to draw some interest from other teams.

the "depends-on-the-market"-class:

NT Raji - yes, I'd really keep him around as long as the price is right. but, unlike Jolly, could be the market a huge factor here. there is always someone out there in this league who's willing to overpay people. the other thing is: I'm not sure if Raji wants to stay in GB .

WR Jones - this is a really tough one, too. surely it would be nice keeping him in green+gold, but, to be honest, this is his last chance for cashing in. we, on the other hand, need to save every cent for resigning Cobb and Nelson. as hard as it is, he needs to test the market. maybe we can get him back with some bargain deal

OLB/DE Neal - I was really tempted to put him into the "no-brainer" class. why? well, imho Neal is the much better fit on OLB than Perry is. plus, TT proved since 2010 he's not able to bring in another thread opposite from CM3. all in all I could live with the current OLB situation as long as we address the issues on the ILB position instead. but: as we saw last year with Walden, this is a market in need of capable OLB. so maybe we can't afford keeping Neal in GB.

ILB Lattimore - good special teamer and capable back up. his playing time increased due to injuries last season. this could have been enough to draw interest from other teams.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Polian was on ESPN today talking about the 49ers and Seahawks and young quarterbacks. He addressed what happens after you finally sign a quarterback to a big extension. He said the biggest thing you'll lose is depth.

That pretty much sums up our off-season this year. We won't be able to resign all our FA's. Do we bring back one of our starting CB's, both? Our backup RB, TE, DL? Interesting decisions...

Also, I don't see why hardly any of you see us bringing Finley back? Obviously his health is a huge concern to any team looking for a TE, but he's been rehabbing it. He's determined to play again. I could see him coming back in on a low contract for at the very least a camp body ala Johnny Jolly and could eventually get his starting TE spot back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, I don't see why hardly any of you see us bringing Finley back? Obviously his health is a huge concern to any team looking for a TE, but he's been rehabbing it. He's determined to play again. I could see him coming back in on a low contract for at the very least a camp body ala Johnny Jolly and could eventually get his starting TE spot back.

Finley suffered exactly the same injury as Nick Collins did, that´s why I´m totally sure the Packers won´t bring him back. And for that matter, I highly doubt he´ll play another down in the NFL.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley suffered exactly the same injury as Nick Collins did, that´s why I´m totally sure the Packers won´t bring him back. And for that matter, I highly doubt he´ll play another down in the NFL.

I actually see someone giving him a chance. As long as the Doctors didn't medically say he couldn't ever play again then i think he gets a shot somewhere. Chicago???

D

Deleted member 6794

I actually see someone giving him a chance. As long as the Doctors didn't medically say he couldn't ever play again then i think he gets a shot somewhere. Chicago???

No other team signed Collins either, I expect the same to happen with Finley.

D

Deleted member 6794

You don't see the Packers making him an offer? it's not going to be what he's expecting but i can see them reaching out to him.

No, I don´t think the Packers will make him an offer. The Journal Sentinel listed former Packers players who suffered neck injuries in an article this year and only 1 of 11 (Keith Uecker) returned to the game. Sean Richardson came back this year, but both Uecker and Richardson didn´t have spinal fusion at C3-C4 level.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

From what I understood the injuries were different. Collins herniated a disc while Finley bruised the spinal column. They underwent similar surgeries but I think Finley's was precautionary. Also, Richardson had the same surgery as well and he is now playing for the Packers; difference between Richardson, Collins, Sharpe and Chmura is where the fusion occured. I think Richardson's was lower down the spine than the other three.

D

Deleted member 6794

From what I understood the injuries were different. Collins herniated a disc while Finley bruised the spinal column. They underwent similar surgeries but I think Finley's was precautionary. Also, Richardson had the same surgery as well and he is now playing for the Packers; difference between Richardson, Collins, Sharpe and Chmura is where the fusion occured. I think Richardson's was lower down the spine than the other three.

It doesn´t matter though if the surgery was precautionary. The problem is that the vertebrae is immobilized and because of it the risk of injuring it again increases. And having an injury at the C3-C4 level of the spine could be life-threatening, while it wouldn´t be that bad at the C5-C6 level (where Richardson had his fusion).

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see alot of people saying Sam Shields is a must sign. I see it very differently. Sam makes me VERY nervous to resign especially at what it's going to most likely cost. The formula of his agent being Rosenhaus + Whitt calling him a top 10 NFL corner (whether right or wrong) = Too expensive to be a must resign. I personally like what we have at CB with Tramon (who I would love to extend) Hayward, House, Hyde, and Bush along with most likely another draft pick. Sam to me is a very nice piece but is going to be too expensive in my opinion. Now, the flipside to that is, TT better have a plan for that money otherwise I'd be in favor of resigning Sam. He can't let Sam walk and squat on that money.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see alot of people saying Sam Shields is a must sign. I see it very differently. Sam makes me VERY nervous to resign especially at what it's going to most likely cost. The formula of his agent being Rosenhaus + Whitt calling him a top 10 NFL corner (whether right or wrong) = Too expensive to be a must resign. I personally like what we have at CB with Tramon (who I would love to extend) Hayward, House, Hyde, and Bush along with most likely another draft pick. Sam to me is a very nice piece but is going to be too expensive in my opinion. Now, the flipside to that is, TT better have a plan for that money otherwise I'd be in favor of resigning Sam. He can't let Sam walk and squat on that money.

I agree that signing Shields will cost a lot of money, but I think the Packers have to do it. Hayward and Hyde aren´t outside corners, Bush should be a special team player only and House makes me nervous covering outside.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn´t matter though if the surgery was precautionary. The problem is that the vertebrae is immobilized and because of it the risk of injuring it again increases. And having an injury at the C3-C4 level of the spine could be life-threatening, while it wouldn´t be that bad at the C5-C6 level (where Richardson had his fusion).

I wasn't contending that Finley was going to certainly play. I was simply correcting the assertion that Collins and Finley suffered the same injury. Their injuries were different.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Polian was on ESPN today talking about the 49ers and Seahawks and young quarterbacks. He addressed what happens after you finally sign a quarterback to a big extension. He said the biggest thing you'll lose is depth.

This!

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is he likely wouldn't squat on the money. He's got Cobb, Nelson and Bulaga coming up to FA next year. Considering age I see Cobb as a must sign with Nelson and Bulaga about equal to Shields value. This depends a lot on our next draft, as well as Tramon's contract future; but if Rosenhaus is asking for top 5 CB money, than by all means roll that cap over and start working on Cobb's deal.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is he likely wouldn't squat on the money. He's got Cobb, Nelson and Bulaga coming up to FA next year. Considering age I see Cobb as a must sign with Nelson and Bulaga about equal to Shields value. This depends a lot on our next draft, as well as Tramon's contract future; but if Rosenhaus is asking for top 5 CB money, than by all means roll that cap over and start working on Cobb's deal.

Wait? so you would just let Shields walk? if he ask for top 5 cb money? i think Shields is a top 5 corner and i'm prepared to see Tramon go next year vs Shields this year..especially since according to most folks Hyde nor Hayward can play on the outside and House can't play zone or tackle imo.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wait? so you would just let Shields walk? if he ask for top 5 cb money? i think Shields is a top 5 corner and i'm prepared to see Tramon go next year vs Shields this year..especially since according to most folks Hyde nor Hayward can play on the outside and House can't play zone or tackle imo.

While Shields is our best cover corner I would not consider him a top 5 CB in the league.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curious to hear who your top five are.

In no particular order: Sherman, Browner, Revis, Peterson, Haden, Talib, and Verner.

Those are off the top of my head without looking at advanced stats. But, I think these would be the consensus if you looked it up. Shields is good, but he's not a shutdown guy like these guys are.

D

Deleted member 6794

In no particular order: Sherman, Browner, Revis, Peterson, Haden, Talib, and Verner.

I would have included Haden in my top 5 list off the top of my head, but after taking a look at the coverage stats over the last few years I had to keep him off my list. While he had a great rookie season, being ranked 4th in the NFL in opposing passer rating, he ranked 60th, 60th and 28th over the last three years.

Members online

Latest posts