Free Agent OLB??

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just joining this thread. I think Gurley has a chance in 2012. Cobb is still a bit of an improven commodity. Gurley could and just might move ahead of him. Depth charts don't mean much to me.

1) Cobb is more UNproven than Gurley?

2) The Packers are going to play an undrafted free agent receiver with 0 NFL catches ahead of a second round pick?

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The idea of one guy "moving ahead" of another guy is a bit dated, IMO. The game just doesn't work that way anymore. The question isn't if he can/will move ahead. It's "Can he find his spot/role on the team?"

JLC is right about Cobb- he's the proven asset at this point. But he's just not a guy that can regularly line up as a flanker outside; that's where a guy like Gurley may find his opportunity. You'll probably see Tori on special teams before that, however.

Bozz is right about guys finding their role. The depth chart doesn't work like seniority at a union job...

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Cobb is more UNproven than Gurley?

2) The Packers are going to play an undrafted free agent receiver with 0 NFL catches ahead of a second round pick?
I'm just saying Cobb hasn't exactly locked up a wide receiver spot. He's had a lot of fumbles. He's no sure bet at this point.

And Mike McCarthy has proven in the past that where a guy is drafted doesn't matter. We've seen a lot of free agents come in and play. He will put the guy on the field who he believes is best. Is Brohm (where is he by the way???) playing ahead of Flynn. Is Pat Lee playing ahead of Shields?

OP
OP
bubblercheez37

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gurley turned down a contract offer from the Vikings this season to stick with the Green Bay practice squad. He must like his chances...

Gurley is 6'4." Outside of Finley, we don't have a WR target that boasts that kind of height. JerMichael's hands have been shaky- and it's hardly inconceivable that we let him walk in free agency. Unless you're privy to something at practice, I think it's a bit early to dismiss Gurley's chances to contribute.

As far as talking points go, I would much rather chat about the prospects of some of the young guys like Tori Gurley than argue about whether Finley is worth franchising or speculate about FAs that TT probably won't extend an offer to.

LOL you probably get this alot...but I just saw your avatar (profile pic) and a just starting laughing in my cube. Thank you for starting my Monday off right haha

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just saying Cobb hasn't exactly locked up a wide receiver spot. He's had a lot of fumbles. He's no sure bet at this point.

And Mike McCarthy has proven in the past that where a guy is drafted doesn't matter. We've seen a lot of free agents come in and play. He will put the guy on the field who he believes is best. Is Brohm (where is he by the way???) playing ahead of Flynn. Is Pat Lee playing ahead of Shields?

Cobb will replace Donald Driver in the slot. Cobb has Percy Harvin written all over him. Cobb's playing time can only increase.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've mentioned his Harvin-esque skill set and body type. I hope he develops into the player I think he can be.

I'd like the Packers to expand his role. Use him out of the backfield... Give him a reverse once in a while... Give him a trick play. I think the full offseason with the Packers will help expand his role in the offense.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

For an OLB, he couldn't stay healthy much this year, but I'm a real good judge of linebackers going back to being able to see in his first camp that Brian Noble was at least a starter if not 'special', and I think honestly we don't need to chase an OLB in free agency, we HAVE the guy opposite Matthews in So'Oto

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone has mentioned Ahmad Brooks from the SF 49ers. They have Aldon Smith now, so it would make sense that they wouldn't want to pay him big dollars to stay. He is certainly an above-average OLB from a successful 3-4 system.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone has mentioned Ahmad Brooks from the SF 49ers. They have Aldon Smith now, so it would make sense that they wouldn't want to pay him big dollars to stay. He is certainly an above-average OLB from a successful 3-4 system.
I would love Ahmad Brooks too, but he might be too old for Teddy to pursue. I think Ted prefers his meat fresher.
He always errs on the side of youth. Always.

Give me Jerry Hughes at OLB.

Members online

Latest posts