Free Agent OLB??

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gurley turned down a contract offer from the Vikings this season to stick with the Green Bay practice squad. He must like his chances...

Gurley is 6'4." Outside of Finley, we don't have a WR target that boasts that kind of height. JerMichael's hands have been shaky- and it's hardly inconceivable that we let him walk in free agency. Unless you're privy to something at practice, I think it's a bit early to dismiss Gurley's chances to contribute.

As far as talking points go, I would much rather chat about the prospects of some of the young guys like Tori Gurley than argue about whether Finley is worth franchising or speculate about FAs that TT probably won't extend an offer to.

Gurley is a total non-factor for the 2012 season.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gurley is 6'4." Outside of Finley, we don't have a WR target that boasts that kind of height. JerMichael's hands have been shaky- and it's hardly inconceivable that we let him walk in free agency. Unless you're privy to something at practice, I think it's a bit early to dismiss Gurley's chances to contribute.

I'm not "privy to information" but I am privy to the depth chart. Gurley is behind Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Jones and Cobb. I would wager ANY amount of money that Gurley doesn't catch more then 12 balls during the 2012 year.

Gurley has been dismissed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Gurley shouldn't even be a talking point. He's a non-factor for the upcoming season unless injuries hit.
Gurley is a total non-factor for the 2012 season.
I agree with the former but not the latter. If 2010 taught us anything it’s the importance of depth at as many positions as possible. “Unless injuries hit” is an important consideration and therefore contradicts “total non-factor” IMO.

JenningsLongCatch, considering your opinion of Gurley, what is your theory on why the Packers gave Gurley and Borel raises to stay on the practice squad and be available for 2012 training camp?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the point of completely writing off a guy that you've never watched play. We'll see what happens.

Because he's BURIED on the depth chart. Who do you think the Packers would rather develop, Randal Cobb or Gurley? Besides his salary, Driver will be let go so that Cobb can develop into a starting receiver. Unless teams are able to play with two footballs, Gurley isn't going to get catches.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb only had 25 receptions last year. If 12 receptions = non-factor, what factor level will 25 receptions put you at?

Cobb's role as a rookie was to infuse life into the return games. Cobb was pretty much a non-factor in the passing game. He was learning the system (limited offseason) and fighting for catches and playing time. With a year under his belt and the loss of Driver, Cobb will become more of a factor.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, I find it INSANE tha we are talking about a receiver who has never played a down of regular season NFL football when the Packers had the worse defense in the league. All talk should cetered around defensive ends, outside linebackers and safeties. If the Packers don't figure out how to rush the passer it'll be another disappointing season next year.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, I find it INSANE tha we are talking about a receiver who has never played a down of regular season NFL football when the Packers had the worse defense in the league. All talk should cetered around defensive ends, outside linebackers and safeties. If the Packers don't figure out how to rush the passer it'll be another disappointing season next year.

Plus the fact that Charles Woodson is 35 years old and Tramon Williams got abused all season long. We need to talk about improving the CB position as well...both of them. Woodson may move to safety.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to draft an OLB with speed and athleticism. Woodley was a 2nd rounder, that's the kind of guy I want. Clay plays hard until the whistle, but I'm being honest when I say I hope we can find an OLB better than he is, THEN we'd have a serious, serious pass rush. Assuming our DL makes a big improvement also. If Clay was our 2nd best guy and was paid less attention, wow. Or better yet, if he was our 2nd best guy and still got all the attention, we'd be back on top in no time.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to draft an OLB with speed and athleticism. Woodley was a 2nd rounder, that's the kind of guy I want. Clay plays hard until the whistle, but I'm being honest when I say I hope we can find an OLB better than he is, THEN we'd have a serious, serious pass rush. Assuming our DL makes a big improvement also. If Clay was our 2nd best guy and was paid less attention, wow. Or better yet, if he was our 2nd best guy and still got all the attention, we'd be back on top in no time.

This year's draft has a wealth of good pass rushers. Someone very good should be available at #28. It might not be a OLB, but if a DL like Brocker from LSU is there, take him!

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he's BURIED on the depth chart. Who do you think the Packers would rather develop, Randal Cobb or Gurley? Besides his salary, Driver will be let go so that Cobb can develop into a starting receiver. Unless teams are able to play with two footballs, Gurley isn't going to get catches.

If you can't recognize the difference between a 5'10," 192 lb slot receiver like Cobb (generously listed) and a 6'4," 216lb flanker like Gurley then I don't know what to tell you. They're different players, they do different things. Your linear concept of the depth chart is ridiculous. Think about it: Gurley's dimensions make him a much better potential replacement for Jordy Nelson or Greg Jennings than Cobb could ever be. If we lost one of those two, I think we would rather keep Cobb in the slot.

You've made your ignorant and narrow opinion of Gurley clear. You're not going to justify it to me.

If you don't want to talk about it, then don't talk about it.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you can't recognize the difference between a 5'10," 192 lb slot receiver like Cobb (generously listed) and a 6'4," 216lb flanker like Gurley then I don't know what to tell you. They're different players, they do different things. Your linear concept of the depth chart is ridiculous. Think about it: Gurley's dimensions make him a much better potential replacement for Jordy Nelson or Greg Jennings than Cobb could ever be. If we lost one of those two, I think we would rather keep Cobb in the slot.

You've made your ignorant and narrow opinion of Gurley clear. You're not going to justify it to me.

If you don't want to talk about it, then don't talk about it.

You are completely dilusional about a guy who is a practice squard player. If you think Gurley is going to take catches away from Jennings, Nelson and Finley, then I don't know what to tell you. You like to call me ignorant, but you're basing your judgement solely on his height and weight.

You better order your Gurley jersey now before they are sold out!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The off season is too long so we’ll have time to talk about every position even those not perceived as being high priority needs – at least I plan to. And depth at every position is important IMO, including WR. jaybadger82 is right IMO in saying if you don’t want to talk about something, don’t. But I still would be interested in hearing from JenningsLongCatch or anyone else that thinks Gurley is a non-factor, why didn’t Thompson just let him and Borel leave instead of giving them raises?

It’s possible Driver will be gone. It’s unlikely but possible Jones could be traded and it’s possible Jennings and/or Nelson and/or Cobb could be injured during or even before the season. Just consider the first two possibilities, how important are Gurley, Borel, Shaky, the WR Thompson drafts and/or the UDFA WR(s) he signs?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The off season is too long so we’ll have time to talk about every position even those not perceived as being high priority needs – at least I plan to. And depth at every position is important IMO, including WR. jaybadger82 is right IMO in saying if you don’t want to talk about something, don’t. But I still would be interested in hearing from JenningsLongCatch or anyone else that thinks Gurley is a non-factor, why didn’t Thompson just let him and Borel leave instead of giving them raises?

It’s possible Driver will be gone. It’s unlikely but possible Jones could be traded and it’s possible Jennings and/or Nelson and/or Cobb could be injured during or even before the season. Just consider the first two possibilities, how important are Gurley, Borel, Shaky, the WR Thompson drafts and/or the UDFA WR(s) he signs?

I agree with you ThxJackVainisi. Driver will more thank likely be gone this season, but Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Jones and Cobb are still on the team. I also think the return of Andrew Quarless will benefit the Packers more than practice squad receivers.

I'm not saying Gurley will not be a good player down the road. I'm not saying Gurley can't develop into a quality receiver. I'm just saying that Gurley will not be a factor in 2012. The season will not come down to Gurley. Nobody will say, "If it wasn't for Gurley, we would have never won the Super Bowl". I'm just saying that he is not worth talking about for next season.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you ThxJackVainisi. Driver will more thank likely be gone this season, but Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Jones and Cobb are still on the team. I also think the return of Andrew Quarless will benefit the Packers more than practice squad receivers.

I'm not saying Gurley will not be a good player down the road. I'm not saying Gurley can't develop into a quality receiver. I'm just saying that Gurley will not be a factor in 2012.
Did you forget about the VERY SEVERE injury to Quarless in week 13?
He only had 3 catches ALL SEASON long before that nasty injury.

Tori Gurley may be a practice squad player on our team right now, but so were some great people at one time on other teams, including Victor Cruz in New York. Tramon Williams was a practice squad player, so was James Harrison. Some guys develop later and some don't get a chance as soon.

He's got a chance to be real good, and if he does become the #5 WR this season as my man Donald departs (I still would rather trade James Jones), I would bet you that Gurley has more than 3 catches in the first 10 games like Quarless did last year.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gurley could easily become a matchup guy with his size. Can you imagine lining him and Finley up on the same side in the redzone? A little motion here and there and you're going to get one of them in a good matchup. I think it's very realistic to say he could have an impact in 2012. maybe not 75 rec 1000 yds but another situational weapon.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are completely dilusional about a guy who is a practice squard player. If you think Gurley is going to take catches away from Jennings, Nelson and Finley, then I don't know what to tell you. You like to call me ignorant, but you're basing your judgement solely on his height and weight.

You better order your Gurley jersey now before they are sold out!

I'm not saying Gurley will not be a good player down the road. I'm not saying Gurley can't develop into a quality receiver. I'm just saying that Gurley will not be a factor in 2012. The season will not come down to Gurley. Nobody will say, "If it wasn't for Gurley, we would have never won the Super Bowl".

You're defensive because your stance on this has been unreasonable:

I'm not telling you that Gurley will contribute in 2012. What I'm telling you is that it's a possibility. At this point in the off-season, it's premature and stupid for anyone outside the Packer coaching staff to decide whether or not Gurley will contribute. Short of a crystal ball, there really isn't anything you can point to that will justify your position except the depth chart (as though it makes sense to line up Cobb on the outside if Nelson or Jennings go down).

I'm just saying that he is not worth talking about for next season.

If it's not worth talking about, then stop talking about it and see how this one plays out next year...

Perhaps by some accident you end up being right. Maybe Gurley remains on the practice squad next year and contributes nothing (which actually is a contribution when you think about it). But if he catches one pass or blocks a punt, you better believe that I'll be reminding you about this conversation...

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Short of a crystal ball, there really isn't anything you can point to that will justify your position except the depth chart (as though it makes sense to line up Cobb on the outside if Nelson or Jennings go down).

Every talent evaluator or scout knows that a receiver in the NFL doesn't typically become productive until their 3rd year. Of course, guys like Randy Moss, Anquan Bolden, AJ Green and Calvin Johnson are the exceptions to the rule. Gurley, if he makes the team, will be in his first NFL season. My "crystal ball" is 98% of first year receivers drafted in the last twenty years.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tori Gurley may be a practice squad player on our team right now, but so were some great people at one time on other teams, including Victor Cruz in New York. Tramon Williams was a practice squad player, so was James Harrison. Some guys develop later and some don't get a chance as soon.

That's my whole point. Gurley can and may develop into a very good player. I just don't think he'll be a factor in 2012. He could very well be Victor Cruz in two years.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just joining this thread. I think Gurley has a chance in 2012. Cobb is still a bit of an improven commodity. Gurley could and just might move ahead of him. Depth charts don't mean much to me.

Members online

Latest posts