1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GWheels, Mar 11, 2013.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 57 / -28
    Packer Fan Since:
    BULK baby, bulk.
    Muscle.
    LEAN is how I would describe MD Jennings, Morgan Burnett, Sam Shields, TrayMON Williams.... I've seen a photo of McMillian shirtless and the dude has more natural bulk than those ^ guys. Yes they have put on some muscle as they should, but Jerron seems more naturally thicker-boned/muscled.

I want someone to lay some wood back there. No Darrel Stingley incidents, but I wouldn't mind a few Chuck Cecil hits back there from someone, become an enforcer.

I can think of some WR's on rival teams I'd like to see "separated"..... Bears, Vikings, 49ers, Cowboys... we play em all.
  2. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +113 / 5 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    What makes you say Richardson can be special? Not being confrontational just curious. Has he ever played in a real game?
  3. Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +61 / 37 / -8
    I'm one of the biggest Woodson fans.. But releasing him was no doubt the correct decision
  4. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,224 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    That's a kinda big thing. If it's a matter of football intelligence, it will be hard to fix.
  5. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,224 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    Lets not beat around the bush. Woodson had lost 2 steps, starting in 2011. If there was any doubt, his comments after the playoff loss regarding Caper's failure to make adjustments sealed his fate.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan USMC4EVER

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 72 / -13
    Packer Fan Since:
    Frank......you need to tell us something? C'mon man, we are all family here.....get yo a$$ out the closet. lol

J/K

I can agree with you for the most part, our secondary is undersized or "lean" as you put it......The SeaCawks DB's are monster freaks compared to ours.
  7. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

The heart of Amish Country, Las Vegas, NV
    Ratings Received:
    +1,393 / 50 / -4
    He is 6'2" and very athletic. He is okay in smarts. He came from a small program and they used him as an in-the-box aggressive safety. The knock on him is that he doesn't make big plays and had poor coverage skills. In my opinion, Vanderbilt didn't need him in coverage - they had Casey Haywood and another pretty good guy. So, it may be his coverage skills sucked, so they moved him into the box a lot, or it could be that because they didn't need him to cover they moved him into the box. I am hoping it was the later, and that if he starts training and practicing coverage, he will improve in his coverage skills.

Then we have a 6'2" fast/aggressive/athletic/hard working safety; which this defense could really use.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-notes-em6go7l-166360076.html

I know a dozen of these fluff pieces come out each season, but a few of these always catch my eye. We hit on a few: Shields; Williams (very athletic but very raw) and we miss dozens for each hit. But when they hit - we have an impact player.
  8. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    And he was missing a lot of tackles. I thought he would be a difference maker when he came back after his injury at the end of last season. I was shocked over what I saw.
  9. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,224 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    He missed a lot of tackles in 2011. He was never quite right with his tackling after breaking his collarbone in the SB. This was compounded by the second collarbone break in 2012. He was surely handicapped by it in the playoffs.

I'm reminded that we might not have won the SB if Polamalu had not taken the field with a gimpy Achilles.

Playmakers and leaders taking the field while hurt has it's pluses, but it surely has its minuses as well.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings Received:
    +949 / 48 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    I'd agree with that: http://www.packers.com/media-center...9ab623b0#34c89f73-196b-48be-9f8b-4b14167e27be

Yeeeeeeaaaaaah.... We already have enough of those guys at S on the roster, they need to improve a bit to start.

If that were the case I'd be worried, but I have it on good authority that the kid has good football intelligence. He was even scouted as a QB coming out of HS, granted I know that's a bit irrelevant. If he didn't have the brain, we wouldn't have drafted him in the fourth. We have a complicated system, and our communication issues don't exactly help that. Then again, I hear the farther from the LOS, the less you like him.
  11. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,224 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    In my experience, "communication problems" is a euphemism.

It could mean the message is garbled and the speaker does not want to admit it. It could mean somebody is speaking and somebody else is not listening or capable of understanding.

At some point responsibility gets assigned. That's where the other popular euphemism comes in..."accountability".
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. HyponGrey

Ratings Received:
    +949 / 48 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    I tend to blame the terminology. Somebody's using the wrong term, somebody got the terms confused. Being out of position etc IS Jerron's fault, but I choose to walk on the dangerous side and assume that after a year of indoctrination that will improve and he will finally get out of the doghouse. The kid supposedly picks up quick.
  13. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,224 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    Maybe, maybe not, doubt it. He looks like a box player/dime safety to me.
  14. HyponGrey

Ratings Received:
    +949 / 48 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    Yeah can't argue with that.
  15. Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +61 / 37 / -8
    Jerron is thick, I can assess to that.. And VERY strong for his size..I'd run routes on him and when he would press up, he could knock me off a couple of routes..he LOVES to hit and he's explosive when he does.. His problem is playing the ball in the air, and I told him this when he was home..I'm brutally honest and he knows this..He only stayed home for two weeks before he went right back to GB to work on it..he knows what his problems are, now lets hope this offseason they are fixed cause he can certainly ball.. I'm pretty pumped for this season bro
  16. 13 Times Champs

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    He missed tackles in 2012 before the second break as well. I don't have the numbers since JS Online has cut me off of free views for the month. But I know he missed a number. Yes, I agree the broken collar bone(s) may have made him more reluctant to stick his body in there.
  17. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +944 / 25 / -9
  18. J Mills

J Mills Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 1 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    I agree, I thought Woodson struggled at safety. I am also not sure he can hold up at safety for an entire season given his collarbone issues. However, if you can bring him back on a reasonable 1 year deal I think he can add a lot of value. If you limit his snaps and play him in the nickle as the slot and let him do what he does best, I think he still can have an impact and make plays. Plus his leadership in a still young secondary is very valuable.
  19. 13 Times Champs

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
  20. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,224 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    Al Davis created the greatest salary cap hell ever known to man. Forget Washington, forget Dallas...nothing touches this mess.

When you look around and see a dysfunctional organizational culture where the whole is less than the sum of the parts and the parts are egregiously overpaid, you can limp along, try to improve by increments, and spread out the pain over several years. Or you can take the medicine up front and blank slate the whole deal.

As a GM, you're given about 5 years to turn things around (less if ownership changes hands before the job is done). I think McKenzie is doing the right thing. He's had a year to assess his options and came to the conclusion that this hottest of messes requires bold action.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +3,427 / 81 / -25
    I don't know if I would have traded for Flynn... I might have just tanked the season.
  22. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,224 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    Somebody has to play QB. Flynn is only costing them $11.5 mil over 2 years, a 5th round pick and maybe another if he plays well.

If he works out, great. If he doesn't, the season (or maybe two) gets tanked anyway, there is no extended commitment, and Flynn gets tossed to career backup status while the team rebuilds at other positions.

Besides, what professional wouldn't find the idea of tanking a season before it starts to be repugnant? I can see tossing the last few games once the playoffs are a distant dream, and by "tossing" I mean playing young guys to evaluate potential. Otherwise it's chickensh*t and it sends a bad message throughout the organization.

Had somebody tanked last year to secure a high pick, he'd be holding his d*ck right now with little or no top 10 quality in this draft and no QB he'd want to hang his hat on. "Hack" would be an appropriate description.
  23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +3,427 / 81 / -25
    I would just hate to see Flynn be good enough for 7-8 wins. 40 mil in dead cap, that's pretty close to tanking the season to begin with. Indy tanked a season and that was one of the best things they could have done.

It's such a storied franchise that I hope the new leadership can restore it to its former glory. One of my fav teams in the league, mostly bc of al Davis tho.
  24. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,224 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    7-8 wins with 50 mil dead cap would be a resounding success. I doubt they'll do that well. Keep in mind that going all in with 50 mil dead cap this year means 50 mil free cap space next year. McKenzie will be able to pick and choose in the free agent market going into 2014.

Indy did not intentionally tank their season. Their quarterback was so astoundingly bad, beyond all reasonable expectation, they had no chance to win. The team could see this and laid down. Only then did any intentional tanking occur.
  25. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +3,427 / 81 / -25
    I think the quality of QB they had in Indy was on purpose. But that's a complete guess.

I agree 7 or 8 wins would be a success in the short term but would leave them with a mid round draft pick when they might need a QB still.

Do you see any impact FAs making it to the market in 14?