Free Agency

H

HardRightEdge

Why? I think top= the highest priced

And when are the highest priced FA signed?

Not necessarily, and not all of them. The point being, who or when doesn't matter...it's the $$$ that count. There are players out there now who have yet to be signed who will get sizable contracts...Jennings and Huff, just to name a couple. It think there are some top name OTs still on the board as well. 48 hours is irrelevant.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not necessarily, and not all of them. The point being, who or when doesn't matter...it's the $$$ that count. There are players out there now who have yet to be signed who will get sizable contracts...Jennings and Huff, just to name a couple. It think there are some top name OTs still on the board as well. 48 hours is irrelevant.

Again it is how I perceive it

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie bush signed for 4 million a season? Is that really too much? I think that is a steal considering how well has has played the last 2-3 years.

Deals are there to be made and sometimes on the cheap. Ted just isn't willing to make them. It is really that simple.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie bush signed for 4 million a season? Is that really too much? I think that is a steal considering how well has has played the last 2-3 years.

Deals are there to be made and sometimes on the cheap. Ted just isn't willing to make them. It is really that simple.

Yep, Lions hit a home run on that one. We sure could have used Reggie Bush.

H

HardRightEdge

It's sad that TT can't find a player he likes in this buyer's market. He's stuck, like a skipping record, in 2009...Jackson, Canty, Jennings...skreeeech...Jackson, Canty, Jennings....skreeeech....

I'm being too harsh. As the days go by TT will find some outstanding bargain basement deals in vet players with one foot out of the league looking for one last paycheck.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Last year TT had an epic fail in the FA market imo. None of the guys he signed were worth a crap and either got cut or released early. He took some real garage sale guys that didn't pan out in the least little bit.

I give him credit for being on the safe side, but this year there were several that we passed on that were chomping at the bit to be on a good team and now they have been snatched up. We have need at many positions that a rookie with zero NFL time could just step into and have a certain upside impact. Sometimes it takes a crafty veteran to make some noise.

H

HardRightEdge

Last year TT had an epic fail in the FA market imo. None of the guys he signed were worth a crap and either got cut or released early. He took some real garage sale guys that didn't pan out in the least little bit.

I give him credit for being on the safe side, but this year there were several that we passed on that were chomping at the bit to be on a good team and now they have been snatched up. We have need at many positions that a rookie with zero NFL time could just step into and have a certain upside impact. Sometimes it takes a crafty veteran to make some noise.

We can look on the bright side. The other GMs in the division have not demonstrated any special eye for talent, their roster imbalances are worse than ours, and they don't manage their caps particularly well.

TT might not be a top 10 GM, but he's certainly #1 in the NFC North. Thank goodness we're not competing directly against the new blood running the NFC West.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key word in that tweet is "big name" free agents. Nobody is asking for the most expensive in demand FA, but we have a lot of issues that need addressing and so far, there doesn't seem much interest is doing anything to change that.

Then why is it every time someone with name recognition hits the trading block or the open market, he winds up with his own thread here?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In spite of not being a big player in UFA since 2006, Thompson heads a front office that many, if not most NFL observers would rank in the top 5. That's why I think the criticism that he won't outrageously overpay a UFA in the first 48 hours of UFA unfounded.

Our record during that time speaks for it self. Playoff appearances in 5 of the last 6 years, one Super Bowl championship and 3 division titles. Yet we're still going to criticize the method we've employed to obtain long term, sustained success.

H

HardRightEdge

Our record during that time speaks for it self. Playoff appearances in 5 of the last 6 years, one Super Bowl championship and 3 division titles. Yet we're still going to criticize the method we've employed to obtain long term, sustained success.

If you have a winning formula, and the circumstances that allow that formula to work persist, then you can keep doing what you're doing and will likely continue to be successful.

When circumstances change...repeated low draft order, a couple of poor drafts, a raft of injuries that matter [unlike 2010], a few FA departures...then pounding the same formula is not likely to yield the same results.

We might be too ******* TT. We don't if, how often and how much of a premium over market he has to offer to get players to come to GB. I guess we'll have to wait for the memoir, lol.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
We can look on the bright side. The other GMs in the division have not demonstrated any special eye for talent, their roster imbalances are worse than ours, and they don't manage their caps particularly well.

TT might not be a top 10 GM, but he's certainly #1 in the NFC North. Thank goodness we're not competing directly against the new blood running the NFC West.

I damn sure didn't look at it from that point of view, thanks. Yes indeed the Lions made a small move in getting reggie bush, but that dont scare me. The bears aint done jack squat, they got crappy LT that wont help them and a turd of a TE. The vikings gave away their best receiving threat.....so yeah, division wise, we look good.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If you have a winning formula, and the circumstances that allow that formula to work persist, then you can keep doing what you're doing and will likely continue to be successful.

When circumstances change...repeated low draft order, a couple of poor drafts, a raft of injuries that matter [unlike 2010], a few FA departures...then pounding the same formula is not likely to yield the same results.

We might be too ******* TT. We don't if, how often and how much of a premium over market he has to offer to get players to come to GB. I guess we'll have to wait for the memoir, lol.
IMO Thompson has adjusted to changing circumstances. After spending a lot of money in free agency in 2006, except for extending or re-signing current Packers, he virtually ignored it until 2010 and he was rewarded for those actions that season. In 2011 he didn’t sign a single UFA. Then last off season he signed Benson, Saturday, Hargrove, Merling, and Muir. None were big money signings but two started immediately and IMO if Benson hadn’t gotten hurt, the running game would have been more consistent between Benson going on IR and Harris emerging. He signed those three vets on the DL to at least provide competition and of course drafted two more. (I remember thinking it was very likely one of the vet free agents on the DL would make the team.) My guess is it came down to a coaching staff decision (as opposed to Thompson). We all saw the problems on D in 2011 and with the DL. Thompson reacted to those problems by dipping into UFA more than usual and provided 5 new bodies on DL to his coaching staff. IMO that, and using the top 6 picks in the draft on defense represented a change in his MO.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like repeating myself so I gave up answering in the Ted debate.. He has put in a successful formula for winning and with all things constant, you don't deviate from it but this is the nfl and its an ever changing league.. While we might not be getting worse, and we are certainly nothing to cough at, other teams are certainly Improving. The good get better. It's just how this game is played and that's why we watch it. Ted is a smart man but almost to a fault. He believes in his formula so much that it hurts him to deviate from it.. I believe it hurts his ego to grab players that weren't his. He essentially ignores an entire separate pool of talent.. Why? Name me starters that weren't his draftees.. Or what's the percentage of players on our roster that weren't his draftees or udfa? I don't know off hand but I'd bet its low. And I believe his philosophy has rubbed off on his past staff.. Look at Murphy and philibin.. Why are they so adamant about not signing past packer players?.. Flynn would've no doubt helped the raiders and probly the dolphins.. Or Jennings this year.. We all know he's a superior receiver to Wallace and the amount of money they gave him almost made a statement.. Maybe I'm digging too much there but they seem pretty forward about having no ties to the packer organization. It seems they want to start their own legacy and never have to hear " well they grabbed so and so from their former teams" because they would always have their named tied to something else and I believe that frame of mind stems from teddy.. I believe he ignores that entire pool of talent because he didn't find them.. They wouldn't be his "gems" they would alway have their names tied to their past organization in his eyes.. Other than Woodson and Pickett what other fa signing even attempted to look like he was trying.? And that was his second year as gm.. He attempted some small fa signings last year but the only one that even seemed genuine to me was the one that stayed and it was benson.. Merling and Muir showed promise on the dl but the only one that stuck was the one that was suspended and the one he knew all along he was never keeping in Hagrove.. So what were we left with on our dl? Every player was a Teddy draft picks or udfa and his one gem in Pickett. Teds a good gm and I've said it before I'd want him over most. But he has that one quality (stubborness) that might prevent him from being great. He's allowed the benefit of the doubt and we should give him that, but some feel he should NEVER be questioned and that's bologna.. Yea there's a reason he's the gm and we aren't but those jobs are very scarce and theres a few hundred million people that live in America..if you don't think there's someone bigger and better out there that's bologna too..Look how fast it went from us being the talk of the town and having the cream of the crop roster to being considered still a top 10 team but not the powerhouse we were thought to be.. and there wasnt much turnover in our roster its just that there were 31 other teams that knew they had to catch up and some succeeded. Now its our turn for the counterpuch and im not sure ted knows or wants to throw one if it doesn't involve "his own"..I don't need to know somebody to get a sense of how they are based on their actions, it's kinda what I do for a living. Some go to the extreme and honestly sound like children wanting a new toy..sign so and so because they know the name..no it doesn't work like but there's talent out there to be had even if its for borrowed time .. You can structure contracts to take the hit this year or delay that hit till the 2nd or 3rd year with bigger signing bonuses. If that's what you have to do for your counterpunch then you do it.. And when it comes time they are expendable and you release them and then what are we still left with you ask? A very solid core waiting for the next punch your goin to throw and the circle continues.. It just seems like Ted doesn't know how to complete the circle and come back around it.. Jenkins Canty and Jackson were had for good prices.. Rodgers has stated he intends to play out his contract and we aren't obligated to give him an extension till the seasons over. So even if we have to "borrow" some of those players for a year if you think it'll get you over the hump now, you do it because we have the cap too.. And if it doesn't work, you release those players and give Rodgers his money and you continue to build.. It's not always him or him, sometimes you can have him AND him even if its for borrowed time..discuss

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as we win the North who cares right?? :rolleyes: smh . Teams who wanna win a SB will spend the money to get the players they need to increase their chances...at least it seems that way.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as we win the North who cares right?? :rolleyes: smh . Teams who wanna win a SB will spend the money to get the players they need to increase their chances...at least it seems that way.

From the past 10 SBs, what players from the first 2 days of FA were added to take teams over the hump?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'll agree with everything Rose just said with only a few exceptions.

Thompson IS great, and while there are better guys out there, they are VERY few in number. Thompson is a scout at heart and trusts his staff literally to a fault. He has even said FA is nothing but a temp fix for a draft bust.

Neal was second in sacks, let's not be too critical of that decision. Hargrove never stuck, that was Merling. I liked Muir over Merling because of his athleticism, but Merling made the roster because he was a better fit (we all knew he was getting cut when Neal came back)

Dorsey just signed Muir. Who Ted drafted. Who we just cut last year after bringing him back for camp. Since it was brought up, Flynn was signed by Schneider. Who also used to work for Thompson here in GB. Raiders signed Ross off our practice squad. Ross started for them. We'll just call those exceptions.

I don't like back loading a deal (you'd think players would realize that they'll never see that money), especially since it tends to make people complain near the end that said player makes too much money. Static contracts are much healthier for your cap, front loaded are pointless since they get renegotiated after 2-3 years anyway. Also the signing bonus is evenly prorated throughout the length of the contract. Big signing bonuses on back loaded contracts make dead money. Not good. Make it all roster bonus and incentives (players don't like to do that for the very reason it makes it easy to cut them)

TT only brought in FA back in 06 to train his picks until they were ready to take over. Let's be real about that.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about before training camp starts? It's the only date that really matters.

There's a HUGE difference in the compensation for players signed in the first week of free agency vs. those signed after the draft and during training camp. Using free agency to complement your roster is fine. Using it to BUILD your roster is a sign of **** poor scouting and desperation.

H

HardRightEdge

IMO Thompson has adjusted to changing circumstances. After spending a lot of money in free agency in 2006, except for extending or re-signing current Packers, he virtually ignored it until 2010 and he was rewarded for those actions that season. In 2011 he didn’t sign a single UFA. Then last off season he signed Benson, Saturday, Hargrove, Merling, and Muir. None were big money signings but two started immediately and IMO if Benson hadn’t gotten hurt, the running game would have been more consistent between Benson going on IR and Harris emerging. He signed those three vets on the DL to at least provide competition and of course drafted two more. (I remember thinking it was very likely one of the vet free agents on the DL would make the team.) My guess is it came down to a coaching staff decision (as opposed to Thompson). We all saw the problems on D in 2011 and with the DL. Thompson reacted to those problems by dipping into UFA more than usual and provided 5 new bodies on DL to his coaching staff. IMO that, and using the top 6 picks in the draft on defense represented a change in his MO.

Point taken on Saturday. But he's an exception that proves the rule. Saturday is the first FA signing since 2006 where the FA was brought in as the presumptive starter. Benson was a late desperation grab...not within the plan. Those D-Line guys from last year were either troubled or career underachievers...basically shots in the dark. The only cost were spots on the training camp roster so there's no begrudging that.

I'll amend my earlier statement. Thompson should adjust to changing circumstances by looking back to his personnel approach in 2005/2006, if that's now possible without Schneider, McKenzie and Dorsey.

Members online

Latest posts