Free Agency Theory

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a theory about Ted Thompson dipping into free agency and possibly adding one or two players along the defensive line. Maybe Thompson likes a player near the top/middle of the draft enough to trade up. He realizes that this will cost a 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd. Without the extra pick, the Packers wouldn't be able to address all needs.

Any thoughts?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Pick #28 - 660 points
Pick #59 - 310 points
--------
970 points = 16th or 17th pick

Might work?
I think they might have to pay a premium. Eagles, Jets, bungles, and Chargers in that area currently.
EDIT: since the Saints forfeit #58, does that give the Packers the value of pick #58?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think these signings are because they expect the roster limits to increase and they want to have stiffer competition for the defensive side of the ball come training camp, though I won't rule out your theory either. It's possible he's stocking up on depth/veteran talent in order to trade up.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a theory about Ted Thompson dipping into free agency and possibly adding one or two players along the defensive line. Maybe Thompson likes a player near the top/middle of the draft enough to trade up. He realizes that this will cost a 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd. Without the extra pick, the Packers wouldn't be able to address all needs.

Any thoughts?

I think its bc he thinks most players he drafts will need 2 years to develop

Reaction score
I think TT is active in free agency because he doesn't want to use his top picks on replacing Scott Wells and other problems. He wants his top picks to fix the defense. As far as I look at it, we need at least 2 D-Linemen(terrible D-line depth) and Center(Someone to fill in after Saturday), an OLB(Pass rush opposite of Clay), an OT (Clifton possibly gone, Sherrod still a ?) and possibly a Safety if Nick Collins has to retire. That is 6 picks right there. If he picks up free agents, that is solving a short term problem. This is why he got Saturday, and is going after Anthony Hargrove, Dave Tollefson, and possibly Demetraius Bell. He realizes he has to get big guys early in the draft and needs to fix the defense quickly. I don't think TT will trade up unless he picks up a bit more free agents because of all the needs.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

Any thoughts?

Any chance that Ted finally got fed up with the fan's griping and said "You want free agents? Fine, I'll give you free agents. See how this turns out!" No? I didn't think so either. Your idea could possibly be the case, but my personal opinion is that he is just bringing in depth.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet Ted doesn't know for sure what he will do just yet. If he sees things developing in a certain way he may jump or things may dictate that it's better to just sit tight. How about that for a prediction? ;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I bet Ted doesn't know for sure what he will do just yet. If he sees things developing in a certain way he may jump or things may dictate that it's better to just sit tight. How about that for a prediction? ;)

Sheesh, I can't believe how much I'm agreeing with you lately. I think I better go see a doc.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not exactly like Ted has gone crazy here..the only guy of note he brought in is Jeff Saturday. Manny Lawson re-signed with Cinci and it looks like The Hargrove thing aint happening.

I don't see a trade up in the first happening much more than #20.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I see this as a potentially frustrating draft for Ted but he will still come out good however it falls.

I say this because it looks like there will be a lot of good players through around #45 or #50 but that presents a problem for him finding a partner to trade down with. A lot of good players at different positions early on in the 2nd round. Who is going to be at 28 that some team has to have?
If a really good player drops then shouldn't Ted just take him rather than get ahold of more picks?

It looks like the talent level from #28 to about middle second round is pretty darn close together. I see it hard for Ted to find a team to bite. I could see him trade UP possibly if he could get a Hightower or Cox around #20 although that's not what he likes to do.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I've said before, I LOVE the idea of competition. Make the guys on the team feel less comfortable... that they're guaranteed a spot. Competition brings out the best in people.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I've said before, I LOVE the idea of competition. Make the guys on the team feel less comfortable... that they're guaranteed a spot. Competition brings out the best in people.

Let's face it, this front seven needs a lot more than competition...they need a serious infusion of talent.

I was actually kind of liking the idea of getting Hargrove, then trading up for a guy like Fletcher Cox. That would give us CM3, Raji, Hargrove and Cox in passing situations. I know it's not the ideal 3-4 ...but I think that combo could bring the heat! (though not looking like Hargrove is happening)

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all the talk about free agent signings we have only Saturday to date. That won't do it in my opinion. Like the previous poster said our needs won't be addresssed entirely in this draft.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this notion that somehow our team has a ton of holes to fill. No, we really don't. We need someone on the defensive line who can help bring pressure, and an outside linebacker who can get to the quarterback. For all we know, those guys may already be on the roster. Only time, OTA's and training camp will tell. Oh, and depending on Nick Collins, we might need a new safety. That's it. Two holes to fill, maybe three. Since that's not a lot of holes to fill, I see no reason why we can't fill them through the draft.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Was hoping we'd focus on a starting D-lineman in FA to bring an immediate impact, the draft doesn't usually produce talent that can start right out of the proverbial gate.

Good thing TT has forgotten more about acquiring players than we'll ever know! :)

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was hoping we'd focus on a starting D-lineman in FA to bring an immediate impact, the draft doesn't usually produce talent that can start right out of the proverbial gate.

:)
Agree. I don't see the upcoming draft paying ALL the immediate dividends needed to make the necessary improvement in the defense in the 2012 season.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this notion that somehow our team has a ton of holes to fill. No, we really don't. We need someone on the defensive line who can help bring pressure, and an outside linebacker who can get to the quarterback. For all we know, those guys may already be on the roster. Only time, OTA's and training camp will tell. Oh, and depending on Nick Collins, we might need a new safety. That's it. Two holes to fill, maybe three. Since that's not a lot of holes to fill, I see no reason why we can't fill them through the draft.

Totally agree OLB, DL and Safety are needs to be addressed. Also, Hawk is a liability at ILB. Maybe Smith can step in there but with Hawk on the field it's a weakness. Whether that's a ton or not( ??) to me it is critical they be taken care of.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Sure we can fill them through the draft, but unless we get a starting caliber safety in the draft we're stuck with Charlie Peprah :poop: as the starter again for another year should Collins not return.

Members online

Latest posts