Free Agency and Draft Info

uwbadger12000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On The Streets
March 11, 2008
Written by Joe Arrigo - PackerChatters Staff

I was told that Quinn Gray is the leading candidate to be Aaron Rodgers back up. He had a great visit (from what I was told) and the Packers seem to think a deal could get done by the end of the weekend. Gray leads the list, followed by Brunell, Rattay, Culpepper, and Harrington.

I got a message from a friend saying he heard Koren Robinson was NOT going to be a Packers next year. I talked to a few people and they said they haven't heard anything that pointed to a Robinson release.

Ted Thompson was at the University of Wisconsin's Pro Day yesterday. I heard that the Packers have requested coaches film on Jack Ikegwuonu, who still hasn't had his surgery on that knee he injured working out.

I heard that J.D. Booty, Josh Johnson, Erik Ainge, Andre Woodson and John Flacco are looked upon highly by the Packers scouts.

The Packers expect an answer by Brandon Chillar by the end of the week. He had a great visit, and the coaching staff hit it off with him (especially Moss). Chillar knows Nick Barnett fairly well (from their days in the PAC 10 and in Southern California) and Barnett is recruiting him hard.

The Packers are still working on a deal with Kris Wilson (the Chiefs TE). Both parties are high on each other from what I gathered now it is just making it happen. The perception is that the two sides should get a deal done soon.

The interest in Tab Perry is for his special teams play. He is a great special teams player and he would be one of the kick returners (along with Robinson/Tramon Williams) and also could battle for the punt return job (with Will Blackmon).

Speaking of Blackmon, the Packers (coaches and Ted Thompson) still are high on him as a player and think he can be a good one, IF he can stay injury free.

I heard the Packers are considering Rick DeMulling as a possible candidate to be a back up OG.

I heard that the Packers have expressed interest in DB Gary Baxter. He has been hurt the last couple years in Cleveland but can play bot CB and S spots.

Again I heard the Packers talking to Atlanta about DeAngelo Hall. With the extra cap space the Packers can afford to pay him, but the questions are how will the addition of Hall (and presumably his new deal) go over with Al Harris and Charles Woodson and how
would they use Hall (as a nickel back or starter)? Another thing to keep in mind is the relationship with Joe Whitt Jr. who was named defensive quality control coach and was Hall's position coach last year in Atlanta.

The Packers have no plans on bringing in Shawn Alexander if he is released by Seattle.

Also, the packers and Steelers are bidding for Tracy White's services and it looks like the Packers are offering slightly more money over 2 years.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Free Agency and Draft Info From Packer Chatters

-Sign Quinn Gray. I think it's a can't lose situation for the next 2-3 years.

-Keep Koren, unless you can get something absurd for him . . such as a good young player or a couple of draft picks.

-Draft a good quarterback project in the 4-5th rounds.

-Don't know much about Kris Wilson, but we need some depth. If you like him, do what it takes to get him. We'll need him.

-Bring in Tab Perry. He can't really hurt, and competition is always a good thing. He sounds like a hell of an athlete as well.

-If Blackmon can stay healthy consistently, he could be starting at the cornerback position in the next couple of years. That's a big if though.

-Bring in some more competition at guard. SOMETHING needs to be done there and the play out of our guard positions will significantly affect Rodger's play next season.

-More competition can't hurt at the cornerback position. We need to find some potential starters asap.

-I say bring in D. Hall if we don't have to give up draft picks for him (which we probably would). Ted Thompson is too good at drafting to give up draft picks. However, we have tons of money and Hall is a hell of a player. Could be a starter in the next year or so. Move Woodson to safety replacing Collins and our cornerbacks would be Harris and Hall. In the next 2 years or sooner, our starting safeties could potentially be Rouse and Bigby if no one else makes a name for themselves. Woodson could be a hell of a safety for a couple years, especially with the hard hitting Bigby floating around. Plus we'd still have great depth at each position.

-Keep Tracy White. We have nothing to lose for giving him a little extra money for two years for a special teams ace.

Just my quick two cents.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Free Agency and Draft Info From Packer Chatters

Again I heard the Packers talking to Atlanta about DeAngelo Hall. With the extra cap space the Packers can afford to pay him, but the questions are how will the addition of Hall (and presumably his new deal) go over with Al Harris and Charles Woodson and how would they use Hall (as a nickel back or starter)?

it's painfully clear to me that this guy just makes **** up from time to time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

dodd, did you forgoet that Woodson wants nothing to do with playing S..that is why he didnt got to Tamp, cuz they wanted him to play safety

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Quinn Gray should be signed probably one of the most important signings for us. Considering we do sign him indeed we wouldn't need to waste a pick to draft a QB.

Tab Perry = Im not to sold on him ... considering we have 3 possible candidates of punt / kick returners.

Robinson won't be released or traded cause if he would of been i doubt he would be seeing that much time last year and he is a reliable 3-4 WR ... and you dont fix something that's no broken on a team ... WR position.

Chillar would be a solid addition to this team. Hawk Barnett Chillar

Hall ... depending on the price his asking ... i wouldn't mind sending a draft for him probably our 2nd round late pick or something ... or even our first rounder for hall and their 2nd or 3 pick ??? ... something like that ... hey we need CB and we need fast ... I wouldn't mind not getting him at all either ... dont get me wrong

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh and one more things sorry for double post guys ... Tab perry only had 1 full season under his belt starting 16 games as a kick returner and his time has diminushed for i have no idea what reasons ... he hasn't started over 2-3 games in the past year so ... i don't know why we would want him ...

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh and one more things sorry for double post guys ... Tab perry only had 1 full season under his belt starting 16 games as a kick returner and his time has diminushed for i have no idea what reasons ... he hasn't started over 2-3 games in the past year so ... i don't know why we would want him ...

Why would we have wanted Ryan Grant either! TT is a genius, just trust in his mystery!

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh I hope they are blowing smoke on that one. Rick DeMulling doesn't have the tools. He was with the Lions, and picked up by Washington Last year. With all the Injuries on their O-Line. Having to Replace Dockery (FA-Buff) last year on the left side, and Thomas going down as their other OG, he couldn't beat out Fabini or Puccillo for Playing time, and both of those guys were okay backups, but not starting material. If they want a Guard that bad, draft a guy in the Late Third Round or possibly the 2nd. I'm always in favor of strengthening in the Trenches. I doubt that any 1st Round Tackles fall to us at #30, but if they did, do you think we should grab them? I sure would. Hopefully I'm wrong and it was Al Saunder's Scheme that Kept Rick from getting into the Line up, but on this one I have a bad feeling about DeMulling, even as a back up. If he was so good, why isn't washington trying to keep him? (Yeah there's the Cap issue, but I don't buy that when he wasn't a starter anyways).

That's my 2 cents. I hope they hang on to Koren for at least one more year. Harrington was just re-signed by Atlanta, so scratch his name off. Brunnel or Gray should be our choice as a Backup. Brunnel has been reported to have been really working hard to strengthen himself and his arm, and he can certainly come in and manage a game or two if A-Rod Goes down. I'd say no to Rattay and Culpepper though, The later because he'd want a chance to start, and I would not give him that.

Also is Kris Wilson (The TE from KC) Under contract or a FA... goes to see.

Yup ESPN says he is a UFA. If he's good enough for us, then we don't need to worry about TE come draft day.

DoddPower

Reaction score

dodd, did you forgoet that Woodson wants nothing to do with playing S..that is why he didnt got to Tamp, cuz they wanted him to play safety

I know that he originally wasn't wanting to, but age has it's way of changing things . . . possibly.

Just ask him to talk to Rod Woodson =)

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

longtimefan said:

I know that he originally wasn't wanting to, but age has it's way of changing things . . . possibly.

CWood's skills and athleticism havent diminished to the point where he cant handle playing CB. Hes doing fine.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

longtimefan said:

i agree doesnt hurt to ask..

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

agreed. it doens't hurt to ask. the fact that woodson is ballhawk is undeniable. there are certain intangible CB skills that he has, and he also has certain intangible S skills. If we had D hall and Al as our CB's with Atari "I'ma make you pee yourself" Bigby and Chuck "I dare you to throw the ball" Woodson as our S's... wow.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why would bringing in DHall mean that Harris or Woodson would need to move. 3 starting CB would simply allow a more solid Nickle and a rotation between them just like the DLine when agains 2 WR.

DLine is not the only area that wears down as the game progresses into the later 3rd and 4th quarters.

I would much rather give up a draft pick, and improve the top of the depth chart than use the pick to draft to fill the bottom.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

have woodson play S in the base D, then move him to CB and Dhall to the slot in the nickel package.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why would bringing in DHall mean that Harris or Woodson would need to move. 3 starting CB would simply allow a more solid Nickle and a rotation between them just like the DLine when agains 2 WR.

DLine is not the only area that wears down as the game progresses into the later 3rd and 4th quarters.

I would much rather give up a draft pick, and improve the top of the depth chart than use the pick to draft to fill the bottom.

i doubt Hall would enjoy a move to GB to sit on his *** most of the time and just be a nickelback.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have a feeling (just a feeling, don't take this like I have inside info) that KRob's career may be in jeopardy now that Favre is gone. Favre was KRob's biggest supporter.

It's too bad because I could see KRob having a solid season, and he's still young.

DoddPower

Reaction score

PackFanWithTwins said:

i doubt Hall would enjoy a move to GB to sit on his *** most of the time and just be a nickelback.

Yeah, I agree. This is probably all pipe dreams, but I think Hall could out preform one of our starting CB's this season. And to be honest, I don't think it would be Woodson. I think he would outplay Harris. I just mentioned moving woodson to safety cause I think he would excel there and the only option I would see with Harris would be moving him to the nickel job, which I don't think he would take well. Moving Woodson to safety still gives us good cornerbacks and great safeties. But who knows, if Hall did come in and beat out Harris, them maybe the coaching staff would just tell him to deal with it and earn back his starting job?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts