Freak of Nature

H

HardRightEdge

Here's a guy to watch at the Combine: Margus Hunt, DE, SMU

6'8", 275 lb, 82" wingspan
4.75 40 yd. dash
36" vertical
35 reps at 225 lbs.

Estonian field man (discus, shot, hammer) who held the world junior record in discus (good hips). He switched to football when SMU dropped track his freshman year. He had not played any football previously.

His ex-track coach thinks he could go 4.60 / 45 reps at the Combine.

I don't know if he has a nickname yet...how about "Drago" (see Rocky IV).

I've seen him projected anywhere from 2nd. round on down.

I guess you could call him the prototype for the prototype 3-4 DE. He sure looks likes he could add a few lbs. if need be. From what I've seen, if somebody screams in his ear to finish plays, and he gets it, he could be a very interesting player.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Here's a guy to watch at the Combine: Margus Hunt, DE, SMU

6'8", 275 lb, 82" wingspan
4.75 40 yd. dash
36" vertical
35 reps at 225 lbs.

Estonian field man (discus, shot, hammer) who held the world junior record in discus (good hips). He switched to football when SMU dropped track his freshman year. He had not played any football previously.

His ex-track coach thinks he could go 4.60 / 45 reps at the Combine.

I don't know if he has a nickname yet...how about "Drago" (see Rocky IV).

I've seen him projected anywhere from 2nd. round on down.

I guess you could call him the prototype for the prototype 3-4 DE. He sure looks likes he could add a few lbs. if need be. From what I've seen, if somebody screams in his ear to finish plays, and he gets it, he could be a very interesting player.
I call him Houdini, if that helps.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree with this take. He was featured by JSOnline and I've seen his name otherwise mentioned with the Packers. He's far from polished, having not played the sport for more than a couple years. But he's improved dramatically and obviously has a ton of upside still. With his measurables, he could be a beast and perfect 3-4 end. Given the crap-shoot that is the end of the draft, I'd love the Packers taking a shot with him. Because we desperately need a 3-4 end that can create pressure while also staying solid in the run game. Hunt may have that ability to go along with just unreal measurables.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Unfortunately, most of the guys I target at this stage, sometimes ahead of the Pack writers as in this case, climb after the Combine. With a good showing in the agility drills (demonstrating he's not just a straight line player), Hunt will climb to the first round.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

If he washes out at DE, you could always ask him to trim up 15 lbs and make him a TE lol

Edit: YOU KILLED APOLLO CREED!

The thought crossed my mind. He wouldn't even need to drop weight. But does he have hands? Probably not. Could he run routes? It would probably take 2 years to find out.

You have to remember, this guy has not played that much football. And the perspective you get on the subtleties of game from the D-Line is pretty limited. Put a guy like this on the other side of the ball, while asking him to work the whole field...it would be like learning an entirely different game...again.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

You know, it occurs to me that when you look at the hip work, foot work and balance that goes into shot, discus and hammer, and the differences between them, you'd think he'll do very well in the agility drills. These disciplines also scream of leverage and explosiveness.

There's a chance he'll come out the Combine with Megatron or Transformer (Kaepernick) level measurables for the DE position.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We already have enough risky developmental projects on our DL to not work out, why do we need another? He's not worth the pick, I'd much rather take Kruger or Steinkuhler in the later rounds. The guy dominated subpar competition and disappeared half the time while doing so. He's all style no substance. He's not JPP, he's not even Ansah.

I completely agree with this take. He was featured by JSOnline and I've seen his name otherwise mentioned with the Packers. He's far from polished, having not played the sport for more than a couple years. But he's improved dramatically and obviously has a ton of upside still. With his measurables, he could be a beast and perfect 3-4 end. Given the crap-shoot that is the end of the draft, I'd love the Packers taking a shot with him. Because we desperately need a 3-4 end that can create pressure while also staying solid in the run game. Hunt may have that ability to go along with just unreal measurables.

34 End is actually pretty stacked this year. He has explosiveness from his shot put training, but that's really it for his ability. Give me a guy who can play.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

We already have enough risky developmental projects on our DL to not work out.

I see the current cast of characters less as developmental projects and more as poor picks or players miscast in the 3-4 scheme. In that sense, we'd not be adding to a developmental to-do list.

I agree a 1st. round pick would be tough to swallow. 2nd. round? Perhaps. We'll see how the Combine works out.

smuggler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal actually looks like a player (when healthy, granted). I still have Daniels and Worthy with incompletes, and I would not be shocked at all to see Daniels be a Cullen-Jenkins-like player for us at some point in the next few years.

As for Hunt, I like his raw ability, but I don't think he has a great motor or mean streak. By this point in his life, he is who he is, so I don't think that's likely to change.

Somebody will take a flier on him, but it won't be us, I'd guess. He'll never be more than a tease as a DL.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We already have enough risky developmental projects on our DL to not work out, why do we need another? He's not worth the pick, I'd much rather take Kruger or Steinkuhler in the later rounds. The guy dominated subpar competition and disappeared half the time while doing so. He's all style no substance. He's not JPP, he's not even Ansah.

34 End is actually pretty stacked this year. He has explosiveness from his shot put training, but that's really it for his ability. Give me a guy who can play.

Ted drafts not for this year, but the year after the upcoming draft which is what you have to do when you are picking 24-32 in every round just about every year which is what the Packers do. That makes everyone a developmental prospect. Due to injuries and the 2011 lockout we are still looking at guys like Neal, Sherrod, Perry, DJ Williams, Quarless, DJ Smith, House, Worthy, Daniels, Bulaga, Green, Manning who we really have no idea yet, whether they are busts, role-players, or future stars for this franchise. We'll know more by the end of 2013 training camp but quite honestly, we've got four guys (Pickett,Raji,Wilson,Neal) who's contract expires after next season so I expect we'll see at least DL pick early in this draft and one late.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ted drafts not for this year, but the year after the upcoming draft which is what you have to do when you are picking 24-32 in every round just about every year which is what the Packers do. That makes everyone a developmental prospect. Due to injuries and the 2011 lockout we are still looking at guys like Neal, Sherrod, Perry, DJ Williams, Quarless, DJ Smith, House, Worthy, Daniels, Bulaga, Green, Manning who we really have no idea yet, whether they are busts, role-players, or future stars for this franchise. We'll know more by the end of 2013 training camp but quite honestly, we've got four guys (Pickett,Raji,Wilson,Neal) who's contract expires after next season so I expect we'll see at least DL pick early in this draft and one late.
... And that has to do with my post how?

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

It escaped my attention until watching some of the Combine that Hunt will be 26 years old in July. That could knock him down to our spot in the 2nd. round. The strength, athleticism and agility were on full display at the Combine.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how ppl forget how raw JPP was when he came out. Now look at the guy:eek: straight beast. Sometimes you have to look past the "experience' aspect and just trust that you have guy's in place that can coach him up. Athlectic ability is something you can't coach a guy into having. If he's a freak athlete like JPP all you can hope for is that it translates on the football field.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
... And that has to do with my post how?

You said,
We already have enough risky developmental projects on our DL to not work out, why do we need another

My point was that just about anyone we draft is risky to some extent and certainly a developmental prospect.
That said, I don't think Thompson would burn the 26th pick on a guy like Hunt, or Teo for that matter.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Funny how ppl forget how raw JPP was when he came out. Now look at the guy:eek: straight beast. Sometimes you have to look past the "experience' aspect and just trust that you have guy's in place that can coach him up. Athlectic ability is something you can't coach a guy into having. If he's a freak athlete like JPP all you can hope for is that it translates on the football field.
JPP was WAAAAY farther along than Hunt. JPP>Ansah>>>Hunt

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts