Franks

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah just cut him. Why don't we just cut everyone on the team and we will have a lot of cap room. Ridiculous. I like Bubba and what hes done for us in the past, he could have done better, but thats not the point. Sure, hes no Crumpler or Gates, but im sure he will do better next week. I call it.2 TD for franks next week.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this has been discused early on before, but should we dump a load of money in the off season to pick up tony g? We would have Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Robinson back, and Tony G. Brett would finally have places to throw the ball too besides to DD. And yeah, Bubba is gone in the off season, hopefully M Manual as well.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder what kind of cap hit they would take if they cut Bubba. That may be what it comes down to. McCarthy loves using his tight ends in different ways, but he sure hasn't gotten much production out of that position this season. Maybe he should give Zac Alcorn a chance to play in the final game of the year.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this has been discused early on before, but should we dump a load of money in the off season to pick up tony g? We would have Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Robinson back, and Tony G. Brett would finally have places to throw the ball too besides to DD. And yeah, Bubba is gone in the off season, hopefully M Manual as well.

Tony G is a FA after the 2007 season I believe

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I wonder what kind of cap hit they would take if they cut Bubba. That may be what it comes down to. McCarthy loves using his tight ends in different ways, but he sure hasn't gotten much production out of that position this season. Maybe he should give Zac Alcorn a chance to play in the final game of the year.

The guys that will possibly be cut for cap room are KGB, Manuel, and Ferguson; and I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over any of them.

Bubba should just fall down the minute he catches a pass. The guy has never been a yack man, and he seems to have a habit of fumbling when stretching out for extra yards. He is a very good blocking tight end, and those are needed. What the Packers should do is see if Tony Gonzalez is available. I have heard rumbles that his future in KC is suspect.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of me wants to cut him because of his cap figure. He signed a nice deal I believe in Ted Thompson's first year here.

With that said he's the best blocking TE we have. The best blocker not on the offensive line. He's good in that area and that's why McCarthy wouldn't pull him. He couldn't afford to especially with David Martin banged up.

TE is a need. Maybe in round 2 we can get Zach Miller from Arizona State and perhaps sign someone like Tony G or Daniel Graham. Then hang onto Bubba and use him for blocking only and goaline situations.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guys that will possibly be cut for cap room are KGB, Manuel, and Ferguson; and I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over any of them.

Bubba should just fall down the minute he catches a pass. The guy has never been a yack man, and he seems to have a habit of fumbling when stretching out for extra yards. He is a very good blocking tight end, and those are needed. What the Packers should do is see if Tony Gonzalez is available. I have heard rumbles that his future in KC is suspect.

Wow Ferguson... That's a name I haven't heard in a while.

Almost forgot about him.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Bubba has been invaluable for pass protection. Cutting him would be a big mistake.

However he needs to be gone from pass plays. I liked Yared-Yams suggestion.

It is a good suggestion but it also means that each block made is going to be very expensive.

If Franks new deal had been negotiated on the basis of pass protection alone, there's no way he would have got the numbers that he's getting. If he's only going to be kept for pass protection then he needs to take a pay cut.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel bad for Franks, he used to be such an explosive player and a great help for our team, but this season he has been aweful and they should replace him. I dont think he ever recovered from his last injury, seems like he has no confidence...but way to many mistakes this season...

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was having a hard time deciding who sucked more, Bubba or the Vikings.

I don't ever remember such a poor performance from one player!

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:cheerleader: Isn't this Bubba the same TE that all you fans were so ga-ga about a couple of years ago before he got hurt? Bubba had a terrible game and so did a certain number of other offensive players.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
:cheerleader: Isn't this Bubba the same TE that all you fans were so ga-ga about a couple of years ago before he got hurt? Bubba had a terrible game and so did a certain number of other offensive players.

Yeah thats him....and at THAT time he was the go to guy

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was SO mad at Franks.
After thinking about it, my feelings are: He stunk because he hasn't been used much. Lets face it, he's not used to being the "go to" TE anymore. MAYBE it was just a bad night for the guy and he will get his act together.....maybe this is what he is now.
I think they would take a BIG cap hit if they axe him.
Fact is, they don't have anyone to replace him right now.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Fact is, they don't have anyone to replace him right now.

That's what the draft's for and TE might have just joined Safety as the team's greatest need.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

That's what the draft's for and TE might have just joined Safety as the team's greatest need.

It has. We drive it to the 10 yard line, then fail to punch it in. Favre has a measly 37 TD passes in the past 31 games, with zero in the last two games. Remember when he used to throw 37 TDs in a season? We had good TEs back then. Makes a world of difference. Our style of West Coast Offense needs a TE who can catch the ball.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dxbfan said:
cheesey said:

It has. We drive it to the 10 yard line, then fail to punch it in. Favre has a measly 37 TD passes in the past 31 games, with zero in the last two games. Remember when he used to throw 37 TDs in a season? We had good TEs back then. Makes a world of difference. Our style of West Coast Offense needs a TE who can catch the ball.

I disagree, we have had Bubba for a while, and he has always been dependable and consistent(especially in the red zone)...

but then he signed the big contract last year....and his production has dropped bigtime. Coincidence? I hope so....cuz I hate players like that(cledius hunt, anyone?)

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
reen Bay - The Green Bay Packers used to rely on tight end Bubba Franks every time they got near the goal line.

Bubba Franks tries to get into the end zone, but ends up fumbling the ball after being hit by Minnesota LB Napoleon Harris near the goal line. The
Player index

Now they can't even afford to have him near it.

Franks had a big thanks to extend to teammate Dave Rayner after he saved the veteran's bacon with a 44-yard field goal in the final minutes at Lambeau Field, giving the Packers a 9-7 victory that should have been so much easier.

"He saved me at the end," said Franks, who came to Rayner after the game and thanked him for his heroics.

In a game where the slippery conditions and Minnesota's double coverage combined to keep quarterback Brett Favre's favorite receiver, Donald Driver, under wraps in the second half, the Packers desperately needed someone to pick up the slack. Receiver Greg Jennings played one of his poorest games, tight end Donald Lee contributed very little and receiver Ruvell Martin was a non-factor until the end because he hasn't gained Favre's full trust.

So the obvious target was Franks, once one of Favre's favorite receivers in the red zone. But compounding a season-long trend of dropping passes with the inability to hang onto the ones he did catch, Franks played probably the worst game of his career.

And it couldn't have come at a worse time.

"I have no idea," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said when asked what was wrong with Franks, who by subjective count now has 10 drops this season. "I wish had the answers."

Franks started out the game with a 19-yard reception down the middle, but it all went downhill from there. During the rest of the half, he had two dropped passes and arguably another if you're a tough grader, plus a fumble in which he was bailed out when Vikings linebacker E.J. Henderson was ruled to have a foot on the sideline when he recovered the ball.

It was midway through the fourth quarter, however, when Franks made his most egregious mistake, turning what should have been the game-clinching points into an opportunity for the Vikings to sit on their 7-6 lead and pull out a victory neither team seemed to deserve.

On third and 7 at the Minnesota 9, Favre felt some pressure from the Vikings' pass rush and had to pump fake to buy himself time. Stepping up in the pocket almost to the point of getting sacked, Favre flung a bullet to Franks, who had turned at the 5-yard line to face Favre.

After catching the ball, Franks turned and made a move for the end zone.

"I didn't know I was that close when I turned around," Franks said. "Once I saw it, I tried to make a good play. I was about to stretch out and he stripped the ball from me. I was trying to make a play."

The play literally sucked the wind out of the Packers at a time when they were frustrated at having driven to the Vikings' 20-yard line or beyond four times and managed just two field goals. Favre, who completed 26 of 50 passes for 285 yards but no touchdowns, bowed his head as he saw the officials signal Minnesota's ball.

The coaches couldn't believe what they saw.

"He was on the 1," Jagodzinski said. "It ends up coming out at the half-yard line. You have to be able to hang onto the ball. All year we've been saying stop fumbling and dropping balls. It kills drives."

Asked if he considered benching Franks earlier, Jagodzinski said, "We played a lot of different sets. We had guys coming in and out. It's something you see us practicing all the time. It's stressed. You can't turn the ball over."

Franks felt lucky that Rayner had saved the day for the Packers, but he also wasn't apologizing for trying to get into the end zone. He hinted several times that he wasn't thrilled with the referee's decision to call it a fumble, although he wouldn't say exactly what he disputed.

Replays showed he clearly fumbled the ball before his knee was down and before he got into the end zone.

"I was just trying to make a play," Franks said. "I wouldn't be mad even if we lost. It wasn't a pretty day, but you take what you can get and go with it. We got a win."

Early in the game, the Vikings played a lot of zone defense against the Packers and paid the price as Favre connected with Driver three times for 38 yards in the first quarter and three times for 40 yards in the second. But the Vikings finally decided they weren't going to let Driver do what he did to them at the Metrodome - six catches for 191 yards and a touchdown - and played him with a cornerback in his face and a safety over the top.

Favre began looking for other receivers but to no avail.

The drops began in the first quarter when Jennings beat nickel back Ronyell Whitaker on a deep corner route and let the ball skim off his hands. It continued when Franks failed to tuck the ball away on a third-down play in Vikings' territory and let safety Dwight Smith knock it out of his hands.

On the next series he dropped a pass right in the flat and a play later fumbled after Smith hit him following a 6-yard catch. The ball squirted out toward the Packers' sideline and Harris picked it up, but the tip of his heel was on the boundary, giving the Packers the recovery.

Coach Mike McCarthy was seen yelling at Franks as he walked back to the huddle and fans booed loudly.

The one player who did come through for Favre was Martin. On the winning drive, Martin put a juke on cornerback Antoine Winfield and beat him down field for a 36-yard gain, helping set up the winning kick.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franks wouldn't have been mad if we lost, which woulda been pretty much all his fault?

Cmon Mike, Cmon Ted, Cmon Jags(well not jags, ur leaving..jerk) someone straighten this guy out. And he is a 'leader' on the team. With leaders like that....ugh.....someone fix frankenstein.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those who have not seen
Tomadz' Video vikings at Packers
there is a great section on Bubba's recent accomplishments.

Bubba is going to need one heck of a training camp to be kept at his salary.
Donald Lee, a free agent at the end of the year, has a cap # 1/3 as high as Bubba.

Every yard, all 189, receiving by Franks cost $7936 and change. Is he worth 8 grand a yard?

Lee who has been snubbed and played very little has 94 yards. That $5319
a yard but has had fewer opportunities.

Yes, a lot of guys make money for being available on the bench. But Lee is better than Martin!! Thankfully Martin's contract expirea at the end of the year.

So at the end of the year the Packers have Bubba, and exclusive free agents Humphries and Alcorn. I expect Lee to be resigned and possibly a 5th or 6th round pick spent on a TE.

I will pop the cork on champagne the day David Martin(aka Tyrone Davis Jr.) loads up his car and leaves Green Bay.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy is horrible. He has never been consitent or dependable. He has never been a good receiving threat.

His best year was in 2002(5 years ago) and he had 54 catches for 442 yards. This is his BEST season ever.

There are 13 or 14 guys in the NFL this years who will have more yards that. There are 10 or 11 guys this year who will have more catches than that.

Bottom line, this offense hasnt been all that great since we has Chumura and Keith Jackson. We need to get a Keith Jackson type tight end. He was fast, great at catching, and was dependable. He could make a big play after the catch. Chumura had those qualities on a smaller level. These are qualities that Bubba does not have, and really has never had as evidenced by his statistics.
year g ca yar avg tds
2000 gnb | 16 | 34 363 10.7 1 Weak
| 2001 gnb | 16 | 36 322 8.9 9 Weak besides td's
| 2002 gnb | 16 | 54 442 8.2 7 Average
| 2003 gnb | 16 | 30 241 8.0 4 Very weak
| 2004 gnb | 16 | 34 361 10.6 7 Weak
| 2005 gnb | 10 | 25 207 8.3 1 Horrible
| 2006 gnb | 14 | 20 189 9.4 0 Horrible

I wish i had the stats for drops & fumbles.

Just look at it, pathetic. Other than his fluke TD's, he has done nothing that 25 - 30 other tight ends couldnt do. And by the way, he got all those touchdowns at the 1 yard line. Insert any other tight end in there, and they would have had the same if not more touchdowns. Brett Favre and the offense had more to do with it then bubbas "talent".

Like i said before:

CUT HIS *** NOW

We dont have 2 or 3 great wide receivers so we need to have a great tight end. What the hell is wrong with management. It just makes me wonder, how the hell did these people ever get their jobs. Go into a season with Driver, a rookie, Bubba. WTF is wrong with them. Drops, fumbles, wrong routes. Its just so sad to see Favres last years wasted like this.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts