Franks and Rodgers are only no-shows

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only players who have yet to report were tight end Bubba Franks and quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Neither has a contract and can

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really understand why rookie contracts are so difficult. They seem to be fairly systematic based off of last year's rookie contracts.

Walker was roughly drafted around Lossman's position, and now Rodgers is fairly close to Lossman's situation...

Last year, Buffalo quarterback J.P. Losman, the 22nd pick overall, signed a five-year, $7.7 million deal that included $5.586 million in guaranteed money

So again, I think it'd be in this ballpark, and it wouldn't take that long.

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
I don't really understand why rookie contracts are so difficult. They seem to be fairly systematic based off of last year's rookie contracts.

Walker was roughly drafted around Lossman's position, and now Rodgers is fairly close to Lossman's situation...

Last year, Buffalo quarterback J.P. Losman, the 22nd pick overall, signed a five-year, $7.7 million deal that included $5.586 million in guaranteed money

So again, I think it'd be in this ballpark, and it wouldn't take that long.

I think Aaron Rodgers wants more money.

He was expected to be drafted in the top 10 and I think he wants that kind of money.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Rogers deal is more complicated, as mentioned in other threads. Rogers will not get big time starting QB money because everyone knows that he's going to be a backup as long as Favre plays. Once Favre retires, then Rogers would be seeking incentive pay, based on playing time and meeting certain goals.

Now how is that to be built into the contract? Most of the time, incentive pay is based on a particular year of the contract -- i.e. meet this goal in your 1st year, get this bonus; meet a higher goal in your 2nd year, get this higher bonus. Of course the problem here becomes, is Favre going to retire in 1 or 3 years. How much should Rogers get while he's just waiting to play? When he gets a chance, how much should he get at that time? Then there's also the length of the contract and the signing bonus to work out.

This is all well explained here:
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul05/342179.asp

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are few incentives that can be met and financially rewarded for clipboard work. I think the big point is whether the contract is 5 years or 4.

His agent hasn't realized that Rogers was not a top 5, top 10, top 20 pick.
It was a down year for QB's and he was the second one picked. He is going to be the third string rookie QB.

There is no pressure to sign the guy. He is not going to contribute.

It is interesting to go back and look at what he said after the draft about being in on time.

This is minor.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see Rodgers getting a big-time contract either as stated on a prior post he is going to carrying a clipboard for a year or two. He should have incentives loaded should he get some playing time the first two years but, really the $$ will come later when he contributes.

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Actually Rogers deal is more complicated, as mentioned in other threads. Rogers will not get big time starting QB money because everyone knows that he's going to be a backup as long as Favre plays. Once Favre retires, then Rogers would be seeking incentive pay, based on playing time and meeting certain goals.

Now how is that to be built into the contract? Most of the time, incentive pay is based on a particular year of the contract -- i.e. meet this goal in your 1st year, get this bonus; meet a higher goal in your 2nd year, get this higher bonus. Of course the problem here becomes, is Favre going to retire in 1 or 3 years. How much should Rogers get while he's just waiting to play? When he gets a chance, how much should he get at that time? Then there's also the length of the contract and the signing bonus to work out.

This is all well explained here:
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul05/342179.asp

Actually the bottom line of the article is that the Packers should pay Aaron Rodgers similar numbers that Buffalo payed 1st round QB J.P. Losman and Chicago payed 1st round QB Rex Grossman.

"Buffalo took J.P. Losman with the 22nd overall pick in 2004 and signed him to a five-year, $7.7 million deal that included a $5.6 million signing bonus. The contract could pay Losman as much as $24.5 million, though, if he reaches all of its incentives."

"In 2003, Chicago took Rex Grossman at No. 22 and gave him a five-year, $7.6 million deal with a $5 million signing bonus. The Bears hold the option for the fifth year, but if Grossman reached all of the incentives, he could make between $17-$18 million."

The problem is the Packers don't have the money.

"Green Bay has $4,483,150 allotted for its 11 draft choices. Five have already signed."

The problem is not how long that Brett Favre will be around. Paying a 1st round QB for sitting on the bench goes along with the territory. The Packers selected Rodgers in the 1st round before knowing the final fate of Brett Favre. Now they have to pay Rodgers for taking the ride.

faninOz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have obviously worked out the problems with Rodgers as there are now reports that they have agreed to terms.

Great news.

Now only Bubba to go, or have I missed something there

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[/quote]I think Aaron Rodgers wants more money.

He was expected to be drafted in the top 10 and I think he wants that kind of money.[/quote]
I still think that the Packers are going to use Aaron for trade bait. And I would be happy if they did.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts