Fox Sports "Power Ranking"

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter Schrager of FoxSports has Packers ranked 22.

Fox Sports Power Rankings

Packers Nation collectively held its breath when star receiver Donald Driver went down badly with a foot injury in the third preseason game. As it turns out, Driver only sprained it and should be fine for the season opener September 9th against Philadelphia. With Vernand Morency already out, the Packers offense could not afford the loss of Driver. Rookie Brandon Jackson should get the bulk of the carries until Morency returns — but is he ready to carry the load for an NFL team? The Packers are very young. But they were very young last year and won their final four games of the season. Mike McCarthy worked some miracles in ’06, getting his team to .500. He’ll try to pull a few more rabbits out of his hat in ’07. With the NFC pretty wide open, don’t be shocked to see the Pack right in the thick of things come December.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't.

Ahead of the Bills and Cardinals maybe. But not the Cowboys or 49ers.

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with agopackgo I think the cowboys have alot more question marks than the packers, new head coach, no QB , T.O. and mediocre defense just to name a few

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All GB has to do to move up is win a few of their early season games. They will prove they are better than their 22nd placed ranking.
If not, it will be another long season.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're going to be low until we can show either that we can run the football or that our lack of a running game will not be a hindrance to us winning.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Baltimore, Seattle, Jacksonville, Kansas City, NY Giants, Buffalo and Arizona are all too high. I think Seattle with likely win their division, but possibly with 9 or 10 wins. Baltimore lost a lot and is getting older on defense and has never had much on offense, although they are probably a borderline playoff team. I can see both of these ahead of GB - but definately not KC, NY, Buffalo or Arizona.

I will say, however, that after you take out the top 6-8 and the bottom 4-6, the rest are all pretty much the same and could really surprise or disappoint.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with agopackgo I think the cowboys have alot more question marks than the packers, new head coach, no QB , T.O. and mediocre defense just to name a few

Let me try to understand this... the Cowboys have more question marks than the Packers based on their having a veteran playoff-caliber defensive (3-4 expert) coach, a Pro-Bowl QB, a WR who lead the league in TD catches, and a "mediocre" defense?

Dallas' defense has to rate above the Packers, as of now. They have a butt-ton of aggressive LBs, Terrance Newman, and Roy Williams to boot (and yes, I understand some of those guys are overrated). If this pre-season is any indication of their defensive potential, they should be much improved this year. That's Wade Phillips for ya.

Dallas has a better team than Green Bay as of now. Hard to argue otherwise.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're going to be low until we can show either that we can run the football or that our lack of a running game will not be a hindrance to us winning.
And this, my friends, is the voice of reason.

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey evad I think your in the wrong forum, I think you want cowboy lover.com All i am saying is there is always a transition period for new coaches, Romo only made it to the pro bowl because Bledsoe was so bad plus it didn't hurt he was dating carrie underwood, and no matter what T.O. will become a distraction. that my friend is what I call question marks.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey evad I think your in the wrong forum, I think you want cowboy lover.com All i am saying is there is always a transition period for new coaches, Romo only made it to the pro bowl because Bledsoe was so bad plus it didn't hurt he was dating carrie underwood, and no matter what T.O. will become a distraction. that my friend is what I call question marks.
Hey packer4ever I think you belong on BlindHomerPackFans.com

All I am saying is that the Cowboys have a better team than Green Bay, and I give reasons to boot. I could keep a little back and forth banter going, but after seeing your sophisticated analysis of Romo's Pro-Bowl birth, I clearly have no chance of winning.

P.S. The Packers are my favorite team... ever, and I hate the Cowboys. I just like to live in the real world.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboy's have a better team. I'll admit that they probably have a better offense, and still a good defense, but no way are they better then the packers D. Especially with our depth to keep our front guys fresh and going strong the whole game, when most defensives start to wear down.

And it's hard to argue with that.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only legitimate reason we could be rated worse than how we finished up last year (16th) is because of the schedule.

Our "O" line is better and our defense is going to be way better.

I'm not sure how much thought has gone into the fact that we finished 12th in defense last year. That's 12th coming down from darn near dead *** last.
I would like to see when another team made a move to finish this high on either side of the ball after being a disaster in the first half of the year.

If, in fact, defense does win championships than I can not see anyway we finish 22nd. If we had played defense in the first half of the year like we finished we would have easily been a playoff team.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboy's have a better team. I'll admit that they probably have a better offense, and still a good defense, but no way are they better then the packers D. Especially with our depth to keep our front guys fresh and going strong the whole game, when most defensives start to wear down.

The Cowboys "probably" have a better offense? Wow. You're well equipped for this debate. Let's take a look:
1.) improved offensive line
2.) Julius Jones/Marion Barber
3.) T.O., Terry Glenn, and Patrick Crayton
4.) Jason Witten at TE

The offense is CONSIDERABLY better than Green Bay's.

On defense it is far closer than you think.

All of this talk is worthless... the season hasn't started yet. But don't be surprised when Dallas' attack-first style defense under Phillips unleashes. Oddly enough, they've been held back defensively by Parcells the last few years; they have the speed and blitzing ability to generate a lot of big plays and to this point, hadn't been playing to their strengths. Now they shored up their defensive backfield and have a coach who's not afraid to be aggressive.

I just don't know how some people on here come up with "Green Bay's defense is WAYYYYY better!!" Last year the Packers were 12th overall, with the Cowboys at 13th. The Packers were a wopping 2 yards better per game. Considering the Cowboys played in a division with 2 other playoff teams (and Westbrook, and Tiki, and McNabb for the first part of the year) I'd say they did pretty well.

I'm willing to accept, "Green Bay is a better defense because [... list actual reasons why...]" before I'll roll over on the notion that they're simply WAYYYYY better.

Silly.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:

The Cowboys "probably" have a better offense? Wow. You're well equipped for this debate. Let's take a look:
1.) improved offensive line
2.) Julius Jones/Marion Barber
3.) T.O., Terry Glenn, and Patrick Crayton
4.) Jason Witten at TE

The offense is CONSIDERABLY better than Green Bay's.

Favre > TO, Glenn, Witten, Good O line, Julius, Jesus, Moses, Budha, Godzilla, Tom Cruise, Owen Wilson's Nose

Who cares about power rankings before week 1?

Members online

Latest posts