For those worried about our running game

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
bozz_2006 said:
Jackson would probably be back in the lineup and get a few carries,

Well I hope Brandon does something w/the opportunity, or eventually he may get a certain label.

DH - I have a feeling he'll get that certain label.

However, I'm happy with Grant. If Wynn stays healthy, we'll have 2 good backs. That's the big "if" I'm concerned about.

Are you guys talking about the 'bust' label?

Cause if you are, I don't understand how a late-second round pick can earn that label by not being the starter in his first year??

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we only had like 73 yards rushing today......touch front 7 for Kansas City, and it isnt going to get any easier next week vs. Minnesotas front 4

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we'll have to rely on our D, and Brett & the WR's next week, just like we did in week 4. let's keep AP in check, holy **** he's a stud!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno, Grant looked like he was 1 move away from breaking a couple very very long ones.

Keep running it 19 times with him per game, and you shall be rewarded.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno, Grant looked like he was 1 move away from breaking a couple very very long ones.

I don't at all put the blame on Grant. He looked good. I only saw about 2 or 3 holes large enough for a full-grown man to run through all day.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
dhpackr said:
bozz_2006 said:
Jackson would probably be back in the lineup and get a few carries,

Well I hope Brandon does something w/the opportunity, or eventually he may get a certain label.

DH - I have a feeling he'll get that certain label.

However, I'm happy with Grant. If Wynn stays healthy, we'll have 2 good backs. That's the big "if" I'm concerned about.

Are you guys talking about the 'bust' label?

Cause if you are, I don't understand how a late-second round pick can earn that label by not being the starter in his first year??

Because a 7th-round draft pick and a 1st year player acquired through a trade are obviously better.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hes a bust as far as he will never be a every down back in the league.....its that simple

Reaction score
hes a bust as far as he will never be a every down back in the league.....its that simple

And how exactly can you say that with certainty?

Favre never once looked like a starting QB in his time with the Falcons... look at what he became.

Mike Whale didn't look like he'd every be a starting LG in the NFL in his first season, and look at what he has become.

B-Jack has started a total of 14 games in college AND the NFL combined. I'd hardly call that a good enough sample to accurately judge B-Jack as lacking every down back abilities/qualities.

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think that Deshawn Wynn comes back and IF he remains healthy, wins the starting job for years to come.

This is a huge IF though. I like our chances with Grant at the moment though, he's hitting the hole hard when it's there and is a downhill runner. As much as I don't want to judge B-Jack, I do have to say that I have been very unimpressed with the results of him in the games, which I'm still not sure if it's a lack of talent thing or just youth and inexperience. Only time will tell.

Overall I like the way that the running game is developing, we have a tough task next sunday with the Vikings front four though. Maybe running the ball more to the outside would be to our advantage next week.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
B-Jack looked to be hitting the holes the best I've seen of him yet.

Agreed, hopefully Grant is pushing him. Jackson looked like he upped his intensity a bit today.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Most were draw plays though on 3rd along against Dime Defense of the Kansas City Chiefs. Jackson looks like a 3rd down back to me and even then I wonder.

Last year I wanted Lynch and we missed out. This year I'm counting down to Jonathan Stewart of Oregon if he declares. :pop:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

I agree.. a little better blocking downfield by the wideouts and he probably got a big one or two.. He got past the first and second layer a couple of times but the safeties for the Chiefs are a little more on the run support side than the coverage at this point in their careers..

He looks to have the most north south potential on the roster..

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Most were draw plays though on 3rd along against Dime Defense of the Kansas City Chiefs. Jackson looks like a 3rd down back to me and even then I wonder.

Last year I wanted Lynch and we missed out. This year I'm counting down to Jonathan Stewart of Oregon if he declares. :pop:

dude im totally with you on johnathon stewart did you see how versatile he was against az state. that kids got a bright future

Reaction score

Porky you probably know that I'm a huge B-Jack fan, and as thus I've followed him closely this season, and I've listened to every interview B-Jack has done this season.

This past week, I'd say he looked the most comfortable and relaxed I've seen him. Previous weeks, he'd get asked a question and answer in such a way that would leave you wondering if he even understood the question in the first place.

This week, he seemed more relaxed, more informed about his role and exactly what he was supposed to do / say with reporters.

I hope this is the beginning of B-Jack showing himself to get more comfortable this year.

If he can find a comfort zone, it'd really help this team late in teh season to have a back-up RB that can still do some things.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

dude im totally with you on johnathon stewart did you see how versatile he was against az state. that kids got a bright future

I've been watching him for some time now but I never expected him to develop like this. He's really going to be a special player. Big, Fast, downhill runner, and amazing hands out of the backfield.

After McFadden this RB class is weak so Stewart could go a lot higher than expected. In fact I could see him going in the top 15. Hopefully not though. Maybe he'll fall or Steve Slaton will just blow people away with his speed at the combine if he declares as well.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we get johnathon stewart.....ill be incrediblt happy

ps i think slaton is over rated and not suitable for zone blocking scheme

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Porky you probably know that I'm a huge B-Jack fan, and as thus I've followed him closely this season, and I've listened to every interview B-Jack has done this season.

This past week, I'd say he looked the most comfortable and relaxed I've seen him. Previous weeks, he'd get asked a question and answer in such a way that would leave you wondering if he even understood the question in the first place.

This week, he seemed more relaxed, more informed about his role and exactly what he was supposed to do / say with reporters.

I hope this is the beginning of B-Jack showing himself to get more comfortable this year.

If he can find a comfort zone, it'd really help this team late in teh season to have a back-up RB that can still do some things.

why are you a big fan of Brandon Jackson? What is it you see about him that makes think he will be a good RB?

you said in another post he was hitting holes, I saw him get crushed a few times.

let's see what MR. Jackson has to offer the Packers this week.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why are you a big fan of Brandon Jackson? What is it you see about him that makes think he will be a good RB?

you said in another post he was hitting holes, I saw him get crushed a few times.

DH - Don't worry, we'll only see him for 3 or 4 carries at the most.
Grant will be getting over 90% of the carries.

I think B-Jack is a disappointment. Some people said that's cruel to say that to a rookie, but a 7th-round draft pick and a 1st year guy are both outplaying him.

I wish the guy the best, but I'm being realistic.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the replay from last weeks game and what we did the previous week I think the theme "somethings wrong with the running game" is not nearly the concern it was before.

I know we didn't gain 296 yards in the second half Sunday but there were plenty of positive running plays. Certainly enough to help this offense function the way it needs to.

I thought Grant did a very good job against a good seven at their house. Not exactly the place you find opposing teams pumping out 100 yard runners.

darkslayer2249

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was with B-Jax also just when wynn came in after he got injured everyone thought wynn was the better back but i believe that it was the lines improved play so i still believe in B-Jax.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score

His feet. He has incredible feet. Serious wiggle.

Its shown in the passing game when he's consistently made the first guy look silly trying to tackle him. He just needs to get more reps and become more comfortable using that ability in the running game in the NFL. I think he could be very successful on stretch plays and off tackle plays with his ability to change direction so quickly, much like Addai in Indy.

Blocking would help as well.

OP
OP
C

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BUMP I was getting a chucklke out of all our threads worried about the runnning game. All that matters is that it's going in January. At that time though Grant was hardly known yet

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BUMP I was getting a chucklke out of all our threads worried about the runnning game. All that matters is that it's going in January. At that time though Grant was hardly known yet

Yeah I would've never guess he'd have this big of an impact on the team. He saves us from taking a back in the Draft. At the time I felt we needed a RB badly but now I don't think I'd trade Ryan Grant for Darren McFadden. Actually without even 2nd guessing myself, I can say absolutely not.

Members online

Latest posts