[FLASHBACK] Packers sign Thompson to five-year deal as GM

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: [FLASHBACK] Packers sign Thompson to five-year deal as G

tromadz said:
is 8-8 a sacrifice bunt?

That would probably be a question for Ray Rhodes. I assume he would think it's more on the order of a "sacrificial lamb".

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Lare said:
tromadz said:
is 8-8 a sacrifice bunt?

That would probably be a question for Ray Rhodes. I assume he would think it's more on the order of a "sacrificial lamb".

It wasn't the record that got Ray fired, it was his method of coaching that got him fired.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
It wasn't the record that got Ray fired, it was his method of coaching that got him fired.

Probably true. But his method of coachng may have had something to do with his record.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Lare said:
Zero2Cool said:

Probably true. But his method of coachng may have had something to do with his record.

Obviously, that's what triggered Wolf to realize he made a mistake and acted quickly to fix it. Well, tried to fix it lol

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm on the record many times thinking Ted Thompson has lost his mind. I'm also on the record thinking Ted has regained some of his sanity.

I think Ted's plan was to acquire and destroy, then rebuild.

What happened was the Packer brass and the fans told him to slow down. So he did, to a point. Instead of booting Brett Favre, he allowed him to play one more year, regardless of all the public butt-smooching he and McCarthy did.

One of the websites I had alot of trust in said Ted wanted a scorched earth policy, get rid of the underperformers and high-priced do nothings and establish NOW a young team and a young coach. He's basically done that, but he's invited a few of Holmgren/Sherman's vets aboard one more time to ease the transition. I look for a few of them(Henderson and Ferguson come to mind) to be jettisoned during training camp. This website(now defunct) said he kept the cap space he did because he was going to use it to UNLOAD vets contracts. That's an interesting twist and one reason he didn't go whole hog into free agency.

Right now I give Ted a D+, C-. Another bad season with little improvement might begin the distant drums on him too, and he knows it.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
I'm on the record many times thinking Ted Thompson has lost his mind. I'm also on the record thinking Ted has regained some of his sanity.

I think Ted's plan was to acquire and destroy, then rebuild.

What happened was the Packer brass and the fans told him to slow down. So he did, to a point. Instead of booting Brett Favre, he allowed him to play one more year, regardless of all the public butt-smooching he and McCarthy did.

One of the websites I had alot of trust in said Ted wanted a scorched earth policy, get rid of the underperformers and high-priced do nothings and establish NOW a young team and a young coach. He's basically done that, but he's invited a few of Holmgren/Sherman's vets aboard one more time to ease the transition. I look for a few of them(Henderson and Ferguson come to mind) to be jettisoned during training camp. This website(now defunct) said he kept the cap space he did because he was going to use it to UNLOAD vets contracts. That's an interesting twist and one reason he didn't go whole hog into free agency.

Right now I give Ted a D+, C-. Another bad season with little improvement might begin the distant drums on him too, and he knows it.
Very interesting read Net. You mention Fergy and Henderson as camp cuts, but do you think we have guys in place to allow this. I'll go along with Ferguson, only because we have Gardner, but the Packers have been trying to dump Henderson for a few years now, and nobody brought in can outplay him.

I would say until these young guys step up in a big way, both players have a job. But the cap scheme you speak of is very interesting and something to keep an eye on.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I say yes it is..Some might look at it as " TOLD YOU SO" but i think its interesting to look back and see if your opinion has no changed

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

I say yes it is..Some might look at it as " TOLD YOU SO" but i think its interesting to look back and see if your opinion has no changed

I hope no one see this as a told you so thread because its no way near that in any aspect.

This is Ted's third year as a GM and some of us gave our opinion's as what to expect in his third year.

Members online

Latest posts