[FLASHBACK] Packers sign Thompson to five-year deal as GM

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: [FLASHBACK] Packers sign Thompson to five-year deal as G

DePack said:
Go back and look at my original argument. I don't think the DRAFT class of 2005 was "very promising". That's all. It p1ssed off porky to the point of Bill Clintonlike defense just because I disagreed.

Really??

I said the class looked promising. You said it didn't. I brought facts to why I think it looks promising. You said I think TT's crap don't stink. That just because a post is long doesn't mean it's great. (I didn't say anything about it being great but Zero did) You said Dakota and I can suck off TT and make it Sherman vs TT. You said I'm an idiot. :roll:

I don't think I'm the one typing in fury.. I seem the be the only one bringing packer related discussion...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
DePack said:
Go back and look at my original argument. I don't think the DRAFT class of 2005 was "very promising". That's all. It p1ssed off porky to the point of Bill Clintonlike defense just because I disagreed.

Really??

I said the class looked promising. You said it didn't. I brought facts to why I think it looks promising. You said I think TT's crap don't stink. That just because a post is long doesn't mean it's great. (I didn't say anything about it being great but Zero did) You said Dakota and I can suck off TT and make it Sherman vs TT. You said I'm an idiot. :roll:

I don't think I'm the one typing in fury.. I seem the be the only one bringing packer related discussion...

NO you said DRAFT class and that is what you meant. Don't back down once you've been embarassed. Oh and that "typing fury" thing was even funnier the second time :roll: . Where'd you read that one from ESPN.com's boards?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

+3 for potentially blowing porky up

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

porky88 said:

Umm, say hello to the person who started this threada bout the Packers k thx :)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:

Umm, say hello to the person who started this threada bout the Packers k thx :)

I was saying between me and depack.. :lol:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack said:
porky88 said:
DePack said:

Really??

NO you said DRAFT class and that is what you meant. Don't back down once you've been embarassed. Oh and that "typing fury" thing was even funnier the second time :roll: . Where'd you read that one from ESPN.com's boards?

I don't go to espn.com boards. Actually I saw someone post it on this site about the joker typing in fury and since all you've done is insult me for my post on an opinion about the Packers, I figured that's what your doing right now. You seem to think I was angry at you for disagreeing when if you would of read my posts you would of seen the part where I said “Don’t take this so personal just because we disagreeâ€

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have absolutely no idea why I'm doing this (and will probably regret it) but Porky you are simply wrong.

For a player to be part of a "draft class" he has to be drafted. If not, he is an undrafted free agent (UFA) and is part of the class of free agents. Look at any publication and even the Packers roster and you'll see players designated by either their draft position or by thier free agency year.

That's it, it doesn't go both ways. Gado and Manning are undrafted free agents and are not part of any draft class because they were never drafted.

If you want to insist on calling them that anyways, well, go ahead and knock yourself out. You'll be the only one on the planet doing so, but if it makes you feel better you go right ahead. I'm sure the rest of mankind will understand.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

all about da packers said:
Lare, was the last part really necessary?

Part of the draft class or not, the fact is that TT added a lot of rookies, and they need time to develop.

That is the main point. TT brought them in.

Also they are apart of the Rookie Class. So like stated is it sketched in stone that they aren't from the 2005 class? Unless I'm mistaken and Manning and Gado were signed in 2004 by another team but I'm pretty sure they were rookies.

I consider a Draft Class and Rookie Class pretty much the same thing. Who brought the players in? Ted Thompson. So what's the big deal in considering them in the discussion of that draft class when they were rookies a year ago.

I guess it's a big enough deal for everyone to think it's necessary for someone to go all childish and immature and say things like go suck off TT, you an idiot, and TT's crap don't stink in your opinion. Not just to me but to others as well for agreeing with me on the class and the job Ted Thompson has done… He's still hasn't responded to my orginal post on the analysis of the draft class and yet he's a "top" dog. ha.... :roll:

I'm pretty happy with myself for keeping my cool throughout this.

As for this site I'm thinking about completely leaving. The maturity level is horrible especially if the “topâ€

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky, I like you man, I really do, but DePack hit the nail on the head. All I hear is POTENTIAL from you and Dakota. I can say that some bum on the street has potential, that does not make him effective. The fact is all guys coming into this league had POTENTIAL. Cletidus Hunt had POTENTIAL. Ryan Leaf had POTENTIAL. Tony Mandarich had POTENTIAL. You base your argument on 'what could be vs what is"

TT's draft class was NOT anything special last year. This is based on what has been done at this point in time. DePack is right on. The only person to contribute anything to this team is Collins, out of all thier picks.

I keep hearing how Sherman screwed this team up BUT none of TT's SUPER DRAFT PICKS could start ahead of them on a regular basis.

As far as Gado and Manning go. this argument is nuts. First off Manning has not even been on the field very much. I hear good stuff about him but I'll wait til the guy gets 30 tackles in a season to even start talking about him. Gado did GREAT in the little time he had BUT you can't pat TT on the back for finding him UNLESS you consider all the Undrafted players that that didn't pan out. So here is a summary of who TT brought in last year

O'Dwyer
Little
Freeman
Newhouse
Garrison
Thompson
Butler
Johnese
Lindsay
Samp
Benekos
Curry
Woodfin
Humphrey
Byrd
Robertson
Marker
Jones
McNeil
Kight
Breeden
McBrien
Hayes
McMillan
Hamilton
Quinn
Sims
Lacey
Morgan
Franz
Klemm
White
Gado
Rodgers
Collins
Murphy
Underwood
Poppinga
Coston
Hawkins
Montgomery
Bragg
Whittacker
Campbell
Manning
Gardner

This is probably not even all of them. So give TT credit for Gado and Collins and perhaps Gardner and how many guys do you have left that did not pan out or are just POTENTIAL? How can anyone be happy with this? I just don't get it. It's purely based on blind optimism.

Potential,Potential,Potential but no Superstar, Superstar, Superstar or even major contributor outside of Collins. Before you start with the "these guys are young, give em time" thing I would like to point out that O'Dwyer,Thompson,Little,Freeman,etc were not Rookies. Where is the talent evaluation in these guys?

I'm sorry Porky and Dakota but I don't see the same thing as you, which is fine, but I am having a hard time understanding your logic. If it's optimism so be it, but don't trash DePack for basing his opinion on facts.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Porky, I like you man, I really do, but DePack hit the nail on the head. All I hear is POTENTIAL from you and Dakota. I can say that some bum on the street has potential, that does not make him effective. The fact is all guys coming into this league had POTENTIAL. Cletidus Hunt had POTENTIAL. Ryan Leaf had POTENTIAL. Tony Mandarich had POTENTIAL. You base your argument on 'what could be vs what is"

TT's draft class was NOT anything special last year. This is based on what has been done at this point in time. DePack is right on. The only person to contribute anything to this team is Collins, out of all thier picks.

I keep hearing how Sherman screwed this team up BUT none of TT's SUPER DRAFT PICKS could start ahead of them on a regular basis.

As far as Gado and Manning go. this argument is nuts. First off Manning has not even been on the field very much. I hear good stuff about him but I'll wait til the guy gets 30 tackles in a season to even start talking about him. Gado did GREAT in the little time he had BUT you can't pat TT on the back for finding him UNLESS you consider all the Undrafted players that that didn't pan out. So here is a summary of who TT brought in last year

O'Dwyer
Little
Freeman
Newhouse
Garrison
Thompson
Butler
Johnese
Lindsay
Samp
Benekos
Curry
Woodfin
Humphrey
Byrd
Robertson
Marker
Jones
McNeil
Kight
Breeden
McBrien
Hayes
McMillan
Hamilton
Quinn
Sims
Lacey
Morgan
Franz
Klemm
White
Gado
Rodgers
Collins
Murphy
Underwood
Poppinga
Coston
Hawkins
Montgomery
Bragg
Whittacker
Campbell
Manning
Gardner

This is probably not even all of them. So give TT credit for Gado and Collins and perhaps Gardner and how many guys do you have left that did not pan out or are just POTENTIAL? How can anyone be happy with this? I just don't get it. It's purely based on blind optimism.

Potential,Potential,Potential but no Superstar, Superstar, Superstar or even major contributor outside of Collins. Before you start with the "these guys are young, give em time" thing I would like to point out that O'Dwyer,Thompson,Little,Freeman,etc were not Rookies. Where is the talent evaluation in these guys?

I'm sorry Porky and Dakota but I don't see the same thing as you, which is fine, but I am having a hard time understanding your logic. If it's optimism so be it, but don't trash DePack for basing his opinion on facts.
What are these you facts you keep harping on Pyle? NFC north divisional champions 4 years in a row just doesn't get it done for me, and I'm sorry to you and Depack for that. The Sherman teams were just not championship material. And when I say championship material for clarity, I mean the Super Bowl.

Now we have a GM that is trying a different approach. Is he perfect, hell no, he drafts like Jimmy Johnson used to, bring in a whole slew of guys and hope you hit on a few. I'll take that over trading up in the draft and putting all the eggs in one basket hoping you find. Sherman, to his credit, hit on Barnett and Walker, great, but do you guys want to go through all the misses?

Now into the future, we are going to struggle this year Pyle, I'm on the same page with you, but I am excited to watch these young guys mature. I feel bad for Henderson, Green, and Favre though becasue they are in the twilight of their careers.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
pyledriver80 said:

O'Dwyer
Little
Freeman
Newhouse
Garrison
Thompson
Butler
Johnese
Lindsay
Samp
Benekos
Curry
Woodfin
Humphrey
Byrd
Robertson
Marker
Jones
McNeil
Kight
Breeden
McBrien
Hayes
McMillan
Hamilton
Quinn
Sims
Lacey
Morgan
Franz
Klemm
White
Gado
Rodgers
Collins
Murphy
Underwood
Poppinga
Coston
Hawkins
Montgomery
Bragg
Whittacker
Campbell
Manning
Gardner

What are these you facts you keep harping on Pyle? NFC north divisional champions 4 years in a row just doesn't get it done for me, and I'm sorry to you and Depack for that. The Sherman teams were just not championship material. And when I say championship material for clarity, I mean the Super Bowl.

Now we have a GM that is trying a different approach. Is he perfect, hell no, he drafts like Jimmy Johnson used to, bring in a whole slew of guys and hope you hit on a few. I'll take that over trading up in the draft and putting all the eggs in one basket hoping you find. Sherman, to his credit, hit on Barnett and Walker, great, but do you guys want to go through all the misses?

Now into the future, we are going to struggle this year Pyle, I'm on the same page with you, but I am excited to watch these young guys mature. I feel bad for Henderson, Green, and Favre though becasue they are in the twilight of their careers.

Why are you turning this into a Sherman vs TT thing? You stated the future looks bright for this team. I was simply trying to find out how you can be so optimistic? What have you seen from TT that makes you think he can be MORE effective than Sherman was? I am just not understanding the logic, thats all.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pyledriver80 said:

You need to re read the posts over and see who was trashing who. :roll: :roll: :roll:

One year and you believe a draft class a failure when it has produce over 10 players on the current roster. Draft classes are rated 3 or 4 years down the road. Currently the only thing you can rate on what Ted Thompson has done is potential and potentially I think the last draft class could turn out to be better than any of Sherman's in his 3 or 4 year tenure as the GM.

Like I stated just because a Class doesn't produce a starter with every pick doesn't mean it stinks. If a draft gives you one or two starters (which this one has and will) and quality depth players then you've come out solid. So far we have 2nd day picks and undrafted rookies from that class as the top backups heading into training camp. Roy Manning (LB), Junius Coston (OG), Marvel Underwood (SS), Aaron Rodgers (future starter at QB), Mike Hawkins (4th CB for a 6th round pick), and Mike Montgomery (DE). They're are some facts for you. We have an undrafted rookie possibly starting at tailback. They're is another fact you can take as well.

Name some Draft Classes from all over the NFL that have produced starters up and down the draft from? They’re aren’t many. Too expect that like some do is as ridiculous as the amount of childish comments in this thread.

Just another example on how if someone even tries to say that TT potentially had a nice draft, they have to trash it with "1 starter as a ROOKIE" The same people who would bash the offense right would be bashing the defense if TT added more to the offense instead of the defense. You know it, I know it, and the majority of the smarter members on this board know it. Packer fans have been spoiled to death with Brett Favre and Ron Wolf and things are changing and now they can't accept the fact that the team in rebuilding for the future. The fans have been so obsessed with winning one more for Favre (which we had our chances to do 4 out of the last 5 years) that they're willing to come up with conspiracies that Ted Thompson wants Favre gone. :roll:

Pyle we may disagree on some things but you are one of the better members of this site. You bring football related responses with your posts not potty humor like half of this thread is made up of.

Edit: You can't bash someone for saying it's too early to count the Draft class out but it does have great potential and then say those guys haven't been on the field enough. They're is no logic there one bit. :roll:

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
see - THIS is why the chicks don't give two ***** about the woulda coulda shoulda crap - nobody's right but everybody's wrong!!! wait, did that make sense?? i think it's time for my nap. zzzzzzzzzzz...

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle

I like the way TT drafts. He trades down and accumulates picks. Our former GM liked to swing for the fences and more often than not struck out. Do you remember the year he tried to fix the MLB problem with Hardy Nickerson?

I am optimistic on the zone blocking system. In past threads, you have stated that you don't feel College/Wells/Coston/Spitz are up to snuff. I am not disagreeing with you, but I'm not going to say they don't have the ability within them succeed. It's seems to me Marco and Wahle didn't exactly light it up right away either.

I am very optimistic in our defense. I feel we have a very good D-line rotation, a sudden linebacker depth that happened under TT tutilge, and depth in the secondary.

I'm not touching special teams with a ten foot pole.

We are a rebuilding team, I can accept that, but I don't think it will take us as long as it has Dallas and San Francisco. That is where my optimism lies.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:

You need to re read the posts over and see who was trashing who. :roll: :roll: :roll:

One year and you believe a draft class a failure when it has produce over 10 players on the current roster. Draft classes are rated 3 or 4 years down the road. Currently the only thing you can rate on what Ted Thompson has done is potential and potentially I think the last draft class could turn out to be better than any of Sherman's in his 3 or 4 year tenure as the GM.

Like I stated just because a Class doesn't produce a starter with every pick doesn't mean it stinks. If a draft gives you one or two starters (which this one has and will) and quality depth players then you've come out solid. So far we have 2nd day picks and undrafted rookies from that class as the top backups heading into training camp. Roy Manning (LB), Junius Coston (OG), Marvel Underwood (SS), Aaron Rodgers (future starter at QB), Mike Hawkins (4th CB for a 6th round pick), and Mike Montgomery (DE). They're are some facts for you. We have an undrafted rookie possibly starting at tailback. They're is another fact you can take as well.

Name some Draft Classes from all over the NFL that have produced starters up and down the draft from? They’re aren’t many. Too expect that like some do is as ridiculous as the amount of childish comments in this thread.

Just another example on how if someone even tries to say that TT potentially had a nice draft, they have to trash it with "1 starter as a ROOKIE" The same people who would bash the offense right would be bashing the defense if TT added more to the offense instead of the defense. You know it, I know it, and the majority of the smarter members on this board know it. Packer fans have been spoiled to death with Brett Favre and Ron Wolf and things are changing and now they can't accept the fact that the team in rebuilding for the future. The fans have been so obsessed with winning one more for Favre (which we had our chances to do 4 out of the last 5 years) that they're willing to come up with conspiracies that Ted Thompson wants Favre gone. :roll:

Pyle we may disagree on some things but you are one of the better members of this site. You bring football related responses with your posts not potty humor like half of this thread is made up of.

Edit: You can't bash someone for saying it's too early to count the Draft class out but it does have great potential and then say those guys haven't been on the field enough. They're is no logic there one bit. :roll:

Porky, thanks for the kind words. I feel the same about you.

I just cannot figure out the optimism. So according to your logic EVERY NFL TEAM at this point had a GREAT draft in 2005? If all we are going on is potential I would assume it's fair to say that. Sure we have 10 guys on the roster from TT's drafting and FA signings, but this team was 4-12 and only Gado and Collins really contributed. So if they make the final roster, they are instantly effective players?

Judge TT by what he has done. Throw potential out because thats way to broad. They could POTENTIALLY be bums as easy as they could POTENTIALLY be superstars. What have you seen on the field from Underwood,Hawkins,Poppinga,etc, that leads you to believe they will be starting for several years in a Packers uniform?

I am glad that you think TT is some great talent evaluator. I find it hard for me to trust his evaluation of young, inexperienced guys when I watched all the worthless FA veterans he brought in last year such as O'Dwyer,Thompson, Little, Freeman. At least he could watch NFL film on these guys, and they contributed nothing.

Just a different opinion Porky, no big deal. We can agree to disagree.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the way TT drafts. He trades down and accumulates picks. Our former GM liked to swing for the fences and more often than not struck out. Do you remember the year he tried to fix the MLB problem with Hardy Nickerson?

Yeah and I also remember when TT tried to replace Wahle with Klemm.
I don't get excited over TT trading all the picks for 20 6th and 7th rounders. So we draft 8 2nd day guys. If one pans out TT is a genuis? He could have probably got ONE contributor at the spot he traded away in the 2nd round.

I am optimistic on the zone blocking system. In past threads, you have stated that you don't feel College/Wells/Coston/Spitz are up to snuff. I am not disagreeing with you, but I'm not going to say they don't have the ability within them succeed. It's seems to me Marco and Wahle didn't exactly light it up right away either.

I also like the Zone Blocking Scheme but I don't expect it to be effective anytime soon. I don't feel like we have the guys to do it AND pass block effectively. TT was WAYYYYYYY late addressing this problem[/quote]

I am very optimistic in our defense. I feel we have a very good D-line rotation, a sudden linebacker depth that happened under TT tutilge, and depth in the secondary.

You are right it did happen under TT, so did a depletion of the O-line and an erosion of the WR's. The D-Line rotation is mainly a product of Sherman however.

I'm not touching special teams with a ten foot pole.

Good Choice. Maybe TT thinks is NOT IMPORTANT just like the OG spot.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I started all of this. I apologize for saying that the DRAFT CLASS of 2005 was not very promising. My God it's not like I ripped the left nut from TT. I like the way he has handled things this season so far, but I have found that there are a couple guys on this forum that will defend TT no matter what. I don't really see where he has earned this heroworshipping YET but hopefully he will in a couple years.

Maybe Ryan should start a category titled TT and ban a few guys from it so they don't pop that vein in their forehead.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I started all of this. I apologize for saying that the DRAFT CLASS of 2005 was not very promising. My God it's not like I ripped the left nut from TT. I like the way he has handled things this season so far, but I have found that there are a couple guys on this forum that will defend TT no matter what. I don't really see where he has earned this heroworshipping YET but hopefully he will in a couple years.

Maybe Ryan should start a category titled TT and ban a few guys from it so they don't pop that vein in their forehead.
De - I'll step up with you here, I do defend TT too much. I should allow you guys more latitude with your critiques.

If he started the TT thread, he would have to for Wolf and Sherman as well. The great Ron Wolf made his share of blunders too, fortunately he gets to credit Brett and Reggie which pretty much overides the mistakes.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dakota...I used to be the same way with Sherman. I defended everything he did. I learned my lesson. I do hope TT does as well the next couple years as it APPEARS he has done this draft.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Really, the bottom line in all of this is that TT will ultimately be judged by the Win/Loss record of the team.

If they go 4-12 for two or three more years no one is going to give a crap about the "potential" of any draft class or how good or bad any free agent moves are that he makes. He will be fired.

And if they go 12-4 and have a chance to make it into the Super Bowl everyone will be talking about how smart he is and will forget about his mistakes, much the same as they have for Wolf.

Rating draft classes and/or free agent acquisitions is a waste of time. TT has one job and that is to produce a winning team in Green Bay. Everything else is inconsequential. Win and he stays, lose and he's gone. That will be determined at some point by who he's brought in to play and coach.

Last year was strike one. We'll see if year two is another strike or a base hit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts