[FLASHBACK] Packers sign Thompson to five-year deal as GM

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ted Thompson's NFL career:
Houston Oilers, 1975-'84 - Linebacker.
Signed by Bum Phillips as non-drafted free agent out of Southern Methodist University.
Played in 146 of 147 games over 10-year NFL career.
Green Bay Packers, 1992-'99 - Assistant director of pro personnel (1992), director of pro personnel (1993-'97) and director of player personnel (1997-'99).
Seattle Seahawks, 2000-'04 - Vice president of football operations

Sherman backed decision, Harlan says
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]

Green Bay - If he wouldn't have been able to lure Ted Thompson to be his general manager, Green Bay Packers President Bob Harlan would have been staring at an empty seat in a luxurious new office inside Lambeau Field with no options to fill it.

Ted Thompson gets a five-year deal and becomes Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations.

That's how strongly Harlan felt he needed to separate the head coach's and general manager's duties in his front office and how strongly he felt Thompson should assume one of them.

Early Wednesday afternoon, after returning from a meeting in New York, Harlan met coach and general manager Mike Sherman in his office and informed him that he was splitting the duties. A few hours later, Harlan offered the general manager's position to Thompson, the Seattle Seahawks' vice president of football operations and the only man Harlan sought for the position.

Had Thompson turned him down, Harlan had no ready alternative to fill the GM spot and would have had to conduct a long search. But early Friday morning, after about nine hours of negotiations between lawyers for both parties, Thompson agreed to a five-year deal to become the team's 10th general manager.

"I knew it would have posed a problem if he said no," Harlan said. "I would really be concerned who I would turn to."

Harlan became convinced Thompson was the right man for the job in October after several National Football League sources he consulted confirmed the recommendation he received from former general manager Ron Wolf, a strong Thompson supporter. Wolf brought Thompson into the scouting business in 1992 with the Packers and kept him under his watchful eye until Thompson left to run his own scouting department in 2000 in Seattle.

And so Harlan focused his attention on someone he thought brought the same keen sense for talent that Wolf had and made a full-court press for his services once the Packers' season ended. When the Seahawks announced the firing of team President Bob Whitsitt on Friday, it opened up the possibility Thompson might be retained as general manager.

But Harlan's gamble wasn't that big because friends of Thompson's say he considers his new opportunity a dream job.

"He feels like he just got the best job in football," said former Packers and Seattle executive Mike Reinfeldt, a close friend of Thompson's. "It's a great fit for him."

Thompson, who turns 52 on Monday, did not attend a news conference announcing his hiring and was unavailable for comment. He will speak at a news conference scheduled for 11 a.m. today.

In hiring Thompson, Harlan made it clear that his new general manager has full authority over the football operation, including the right to fire the head coach. In fact, Harlan used the same written agreement the club had used to sign Wolf 13 years ago for the basis of Thompson's contract.

"Ted is the boss of the organization," Harlan said. "I put him at the top of the football operation."

Thompson is the fourth general manager in club history to serve solely in the front office, joining Wolf (1992-2001), Vince Lombardi (1968) and Verne Lewellen (1954-'58). His salary will be considerably less than the nearly $3 million a year Wolf received at the end of his tenure, but it's reasonable to think it's between $1 million and $1.5 million a year.

Four years ago, Wolf had a chance to recommend Thompson as his replacement, but Thompson was in Seattle and Harlan wanted to capture some of the life Sherman injected into the team after his first season as head coach. Harlan wanted to bring back a far more experienced personnel evaluator.

"I think Ted's matured a great deal in the last five years," Harlan said. "I think he's put together the scouting staff in Seattle, run the drafts, and I think he's become a much more efficient personnel guy in the last five years. He's grown in these 13 years. His career has progressed, and I think he's one of the better personnel people in the league.

"I tried to look at a lot and talk to people who knew a lot and his name came up frequently. I felt very fortunate to get him to say yes."

Said Wolf: "That's a great hire. He's the right man for the job."

Thompson takes over from Sherman, who inherited the general manager's duties from a retiring Wolf one full season into his tenure as head coach. Harlan said Sherman approved of the decision to hire Thompson.

Sherman's regular-season record of 53-27 is the fifth-best over the first five years of a coaching career since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, but his drafts and free-agent signings were fraught with mistakes. Harlan was concerned that the dual role was taking away from Sherman's ability to coach the team.

A meticulous and tireless worker, Sherman poured all his energy into his job, and Harlan said he started to sense that the head man was spreading himself too thin. Never a fan of the dual coach-general manager arrangement for one man, Harlan became concerned when a general manager from another team spoke of seeing Sherman at every off-season scouting event, regardless of its insignificance.

Harlan said he basically came to his decision to relieve Sherman of the general manager's duties when he saw him agonizing over the situation involving cornerback Mike McKenzie. A holdout all of training camp, McKenzie reported the second week of the season with the intention only of getting traded.

The weekend before the New York Giants game on Oct. 3, Sherman was dealing with a complicated McKenzie issue while preparing for the game. Harlan met with Sherman the day before the game and saw how distracted he was.

"All he talked about was the difficult situation he was having with McKenzie's agent and the difficult situation he was having with the New Orleans Saints trying to make a trade," Harlan said. "And I thought, 'You know, with a big game coming up tomorrow, we need to be focused in. Somebody else can do these things.' "

Harlan informed the team's executive committee in mid-October that he intended to strip Sherman of the general manager's duties and pursue Thompson. He insisted that his decision was not based on Sherman's performance as a general manager but rather the strain holding two jobs was putting on him.

"This move is not meant in any way to criticize any element of Mike," Harlan said.

There's no question, however, that Harlan wanted a new leader in the scouting department to minimize some of the draft mistakes that have taken place since Wolf left. Harlan said he didn't strongly consider elevating any of the team's three top personnel officials - John Schneider, Reggie McKenzie and John Dorsey - because he thought it would create an awkward situation for someone who had previously worked under Sherman to become his boss.

Even though Sherman has only one year left on his contract and might not be around beyond next season, Harlan said he wanted to bring in someone from outside who could provide a smooth transition.

When he first went out in search of a general manager, personnel men like New England's Scott Pioli, Philadelphia's Tom Heckert and Baltimore's Phil Savage were on his list. But none appealed to him as much as Thompson because they had not been part of the Packers' tradition.

"I didn't think any of them would be as smooth as this," Harlan said. "I thought this would be less of a jolt to Mike than the other way.

"When I would talk to people around the league, they would say there's not a lot of guys who can do this. Other people told me he (Thompson) was a real comer in this league and that they felt he would end up somewhere else."

Thompson's strength, according to Harlan, is his draft expertise. It is well known in league circles that Thompson disdains free agency and prefers to build a team through the draft.

Though he didn't have total control in Seattle, Thompson oversaw five drafts that included seven players who earned all-rookie, all-pro or Pro Bowl honors. Of the 47 players the Seahawks drafted in his tenure, 31 remain on the roster.

The Seahawks have not had the kind of success they thought they would have when Mike Holmgren was hired away from the Packers in 1999 and how much of that has to do with talent is an open debate. The Seahawks are 41-39 in the five regular seasons Thompson has been running the draft and finished 9-8 this season after a first-round playoff loss.

porky's questioning of the contract got me to look this up and I read a bit of it and thought I'd share it.
I question if Sherman still backs the decision of hiring Ted now?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
probably not. Who backs a decision that ended up with you getting fired?

Who says, "yeah, that was a good move." lol. Even if it was the right one. poor sherm.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay a 5 year deal. I would assume year 5 is an optional year for Green Bay too pickup. None the less 3-4 years is what a GM needs. If Thompson has this team winning, I bet he get an long term deal. If not then I could see him getting fired. Actually the guy who hired TT is no longer the team president. Ironic Thompson fires Sherman who he brought in and in 2 years, the same could be done too him.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: [FLASHBACK] Packers sign Thompson to five-year deal as G

porky88 said:
Okay a 5 year deal. I would assume year 5 is an optional year for Green Bay too pickup. None the less 3-4 years is what a GM needs. If Thompson has this team winning, I bet he get an long term deal. If not then I could see him getting fired. Actually the guy who hired TT is no longer the team president. Ironic Thompson fires Sherman who he brought in and in 2 years, the same could be done too him.

I didn't think they had 'option' years on GM's.

I address the same question in another thread about Ted having the same thing happen to him, POTENTIALLY.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:

They do for coaches and if coaches can be GM's so... I'm not sure. If this team is 4-12 in 2007 then I think he's gone. Once again TT better watch Rodgers carefully as his job is probably tied to him.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:

They do for coaches and if coaches can be GM's so... I'm not sure. If this team is 4-12 in 2007 then I think he's gone. Once again TT better watch Rodgers carefully as his job is probably tied to him.

If we can get Brady Quinn next years draft, what do you think we do? Draft'em? or pass because we have Rodgers.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

all about da packers said:
Pass.

I think a RB would be the choice if we get #1 pick.

Oh, I'm sorry AADP. I was asking knowledge Packer fans.

:p heh Got PM?

Reaction score
lol zero.

I honestly don't think from a specific standpoint that having Quinn and Hawk on the same team would be good. Sure Quinn and Hawk will be brother-in-laws, but the thing is if Hawk's marriage breaks apart and they get divorced, that would make things VERY wierd between the two.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

all about da packers said:
lol zero.

I honestly don't think from a specific standpoint that having Quinn and Hawk on the same team would be good. Sure Quinn and Hawk will be brother-in-laws, but the thing is if Hawk's marriage breaks apart and they get divorced, that would make things VERY wierd between the two.

Yep. I thought about that when I posted it and here's an article with similar situation.
JASON TAYLOR'S WIFE FILES FOR DIVORCE

In a development that could create a strange dynamic in the Miami Dolphins' locker room during the 2006 season, Greg Bedard of the Palm Beach Post reports that the wife of defensive end Jason Taylor has filed for divorce. Taylor's wife is also the sister of Dolphins middle linebacker Zach Thomas.

Bedard reports that Taylor has not responded to his wife's petition for divorce. Citing unnamed sources, Bedard also reports that the Taylors are attempting to reconcile. The couple has three young children.

"My wife and I love each other very much and with our focus being on our children, we would like to keep this as a personal matter," Jason Taylor said in a statement. "We appreciate everyone's respect for our privacy."

Thomas and Taylor have been teammates since 1997. Thomas is under contract through 2008, and Taylor through 2009.

It's got the potential to be a huge mess, in our view, if the Taylors can't reconcile and if the proceedings become contentious.

Think of it this way -- how awkward would it be this season in the Giants' locker room if Michael Strahan's estranged wife had a brother on the team?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:

If we can get Brady Quinn next years draft, what do you think we do? Draft'em? or pass because we have Rodgers.

It's hard to pass on a guy who was developed by Charlie Weis and Weis developed the best QB this decade has seen currently. If Thompson believes in Rodgers and has liked what he’s seen then you pass. If it was me, I’d probably take him. Rodgers never impressed me in college or any of his workouts. He hasn’t as a Packer yet either.

If I'm GB, I might be hard to pass Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson if they enter. I'd also think strong about Joe Thomas and move Tauscher inside to RG. I have a good hunch GB looks to add to the line and Running game next year with the Draft and Free Agency. D-Line could use some bulk too.

People realize TT has added over 20 players in 2 years with the Draft and he's added Pickett and Woodson and we still have money for next year. Young team with potential and a futuer HOF QB is what I see. That potential needs to step up if we're to win this season.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:

Draft him.

I am still in the "give Rodgers a chance" camp (after all, it is hard to judge a guy based on 4 preseason games behind a garbage o-line in his rookie year). However, I personally believe Quinn is going to have a phenomenal career in the NFL. Draft him, and let the best man lead the Pack.

Then again, I am probably biased being a Notre Dame fan. :wink:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
probably not. Who backs a decision that ended up with you getting fired?

Who says, "yeah, that was a good move." lol. Even if it was the right one. poor sherm.

Unless of course you get 6million + to go along with the firing :lol:

AADP.....yes you take Brady Quinn if you get a shot at him.

Reaction score

DePack said:
AADP.....yes you take Brady Quinn if you get a shot at him.

I'm not sure I pass up the RB's that have so much potential in next years draft. I think with Green on the downside of his career, Davenport not being able to stay healthy, and Gado not getting this new scheme fast enough for my liking, I would think a RB would be a need next year.

My choice would be Adrian Peterson. That guy had a sub par year because of the bad o-line and inexerienced QB he had to work with. He has all the tools to be a damn fine back, the speed, power, and field vision. IMO in a zone blocking system, AP would do great things with having to make one cut and then just letting it rip.

Taking nothing away from Quinn, but if we draft him and A-Rod does pan out, your stuck. Your surely not going to get anything close to fair value, because teams will always try to low ball you. And how long will you keep both QBs on the roster? A-Rod will earn his incentives and Quinn will command a high salary as a top pick. Eventually a trade will have to be made, and I think its impossible to get fair value in terms of trading Quinn a couple of years after drafting him.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Having two very capable QB's is not a bad thing. Yes, it is obvious you will let one loose (See San Diego Chargers) however you can get something for them as they are proven which is very important and it takes away some of the 'risk' you have from drafting a rookie high in a round.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had confidence that A-Rod was going to be a topnotch franchise QB I would agree. They only come around every so often. Obviously I think Quinn will be one.

If we do go with a back we should trade down because after 2 years working with Charlie Weis, teams are going to be creaming their pants to get Quinn.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you're rebuilding like the Packers are, you can never have too many young QB's. Draft Quinn, let him go at it with Rodgers and whichever one wins, keep and trade the other one. You can still get fair value. Probably a 1st day pick for Rodgers and Quinn probably higher because he's the most recent draftee.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With the OL, WRs, RBs and TEs we currently have, I don't think it's going to make too much difference who we have at QB. It may be better to look at quantity at the position moreso than quality.

As to TT's tenure in GB, I think it may be time for him to look into hiring someone who can assist him in evaluating offensive players, both free agents and the draft. IMO he's failed miserably in that area thus far.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lare said:
As to TT's tenure in GB, I think it may be time for him to look into hiring someone who can assist him in evaluating offensive players, both free agents and the draft. IMO he's failed miserably in that area thus far.

Here is where i strongly disagree. How has he faired. He hasn't even been here for 2 years and last years Draft Class looks very promising. This years Draft Class hasn't seen the field yet so it's a wait and see. As for the Free Agents. I think he had a very solid off season. Charles Woodson is the only gamble I believe we took. Ryan Pickett is a very solid signing. Ben Taylor for a year as well. Manuel is a solid run stopping safety.

The only flaw I see with Thompson thus far (still too early too judge) and that is he overvalues the talent on the offensive side of the ball. Ahman Green for example.

Would you rather have Ted spend all the money this year and screw the future just too win for Favre? If Favre retired a year ago after the Vikings game, I think a lot of opinions would be different. Fans think this team owes something to Favre. They don't and Favre doesn't owe anything too the team either.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
Lare said:

Here is where i strongly disagree. How has he faired. He hasn't even been here for 2 years and last years Draft Class looks very promising. This years Draft Class hasn't seen the field yet so it's a wait and see. As for the Free Agents. I think he had a very solid off season. Charles Woodson is the only gamble I believe we took. Ryan Pickett is a very solid signing. Ben Taylor for a year as well. Manuel is a solid run stopping safety.

The only flaw I see with Thompson thus far (still too early too judge) and that is he overvalues the talent on the offensive side of the ball. Ahman Green for example.

Would you rather have Ted spend all the money this year and screw the future just too win for Favre? If Favre retired a year ago after the Vikings game, I think a lot of opinions would be different. Fans think this team owes something to Favre. They don't and Favre doesn't owe anything too the team either.

C'mon porky we all want TT to succeed but "Last years draft class looks very promising"?

How so? I see one starter from that class, Nick Collins. That's on a 4-12 team. I see more value in this years draft but who knows. I think we may have 4 immediate starters from this class but alot of that is because of our lack of success in last year's draft, and our lack of replacing offensive linemen with any quality at all. Right now, if it weren't for Nick Collins, I would say that last season was a total waste of a year as far as the draft and free agency goes.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack said:
porky88 said:
Lare said:

C'mon porky we all want TT to succeed but "Last years draft class looks very promising"?

How so? I see one starter from that class, Nick Collins. That's on a 4-12 team. I see more value in this years draft but who knows. I think we may have 4 immediate starters from this class but alot of that is because of our lack of success in last year's draft, and our lack of replacing offensive linemen with any quality at all. Right now, if it weren't for Nick Collins, I would say that last season was a total waste of a year as far as the draft and free agency goes.

Anytime a team can have 14 rookies between Draft Picks and Undrafted Free Agents make a team, it's very promising.

Last years draft also appears too be producing Junius Coston as a starter as well. Whitticker did start (though I think he could be gone) Mike Hawkins is pushing for a nickel or dime role. Brady Poppinga could be the eventual starter at SLB. Collins is a given at FS. Rodgers is the wild card. If he's great, the that Draft could go down as one of the better Drafts GB has had in a while. If he fails (which I think he will) then it'll be average.

So to recap

Nick Collins
Junius Coston
Brady Poppinga
Aaron Rodgers
SamKon Gado

5 potential starters from one Draft is very successful. Add the fact that Marvel Underwood will be the top backup at safety in the coming years and Montgomery as the backup DE. Hawkins as a Dime Back. Yes that Class is very promising..

Last years team went 4-12 not because of the rookies but because of the previous Drafts that had no depth to them and the 2004 Draft might be the worse in the last 15 years.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins....that's it. If Coston was the answer we wouldn't have gone after Colledge AND Spitz, who apparently have the inside track at the starting positions. Poppinga is a special teams player if he stays healthy, borderline starter at best. We drafted two lb's in the first 3 rounds and went after Ben Taylor. Rodgers hasn't shown anything YET and Gado isn't even a member of that draft class. Underwood, Montgomery and Hawkins have shown nothing so far. Just because someone says they looked great at camp, last season means nothing. I think Murphy's injury really hurt this draft but it is what it is. If we could only get one starter out of that class in a year that I could've started I don't think you can call it very successful. Of the five you mentioned as starters only 1 will start this season.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

porky88 said:
Add the fact that Marvel Underwood will be the top backup at safety in the coming years and Montgomery as the backup DE. Hawkins as a Dime Back. Yes that Class is very promising.

I thought Roman would be the top back up. Collins, Manuel for starters and Roman and Underwood as backups with Romam obviously being the top.

Guess I'm curious as to how its fact and where it was printed or acknowledged.

I would have to agree that our Draft class is pretty decent. Last year and I think this year is going to be good as well.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:
Add the fact that Marvel Underwood will be the top backup at safety in the coming years and Montgomery as the backup DE. Hawkins as a Dime Back. Yes that Class is very promising.

I thought Roman would be the top back up. Collins, Manuel for starters and Roman and Underwood as backups with Romam obviously being the top.

Guess I'm curious as to how its fact and where it was printed or acknowledged.

I would have to agree that our Draft class is pretty decent. Last year and I think this year is going to be good as well.

I did put coming years for Underwood. Roman isn't going too be here probably after this year and I believe I also read (someone posted it on this board) that if GB feels strong about Underwood as the top backup, they'd release Roman.

Members online

Latest posts