First Visit to Green Bay!

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my first trip to Green Bay and I’m extremely excited! I’m flying in Monday morning for the Dec. 7th game against the ravens. I’m actually from Baltimore but I’ve always been a Green Bay fan, so while my buddy who’s coming out with me will be wearing his Flacco or Reed jersey, I’ll be wearing my number 12 Aaron Rodgers jersey and my cheesehead that I’ve not had a chance to wear yet! I’ve had a lot of my questions answered by reading some of the previous topics. I do have a couple questions however.

• Staying warm, Lambeau in December…! How do the local’s week in and week out stay warm for the entire game? What would you recommend I wear besides lots of layers? Any other tricks of the trade?

• We will be getting into Milwaukee around 9 or so in the morning. Making the 2hr trek to title town most likely will catch a nap then start our day. Where are all the good places (must go) for food and to begin our pregame? What are the good bars to go celebrate post game?

• Tailgating. It’s a must! Can non-season ticket holders park on any of the stadium lots? If so where are good lots to party it up? Would you recommend tailgating on the lot or somewhere else like title-town tickets? How friendly are the fellow tailgators? Could we just walk up with some beer and join the party or will they turn us away because my buddy, who sadly enough, is a ravens fan?

• Any other info you think would be helpful to us ?

Thanks guys, I cant wait!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is my first trip to Green Bay and I’m extremely excited! I’m flying in Monday morning for the Dec. 7th game against the ravens. I’m actually from Baltimore but I’ve always been a Green Bay fan, so while my buddy who’s coming out with me will be wearing his Flacco or Reed jersey, I’ll be wearing my number 12 Aaron Rodgers jersey and my cheesehead that I’ve not had a chance to wear yet! I’ve had a lot of my questions answered by reading some of the previous topics. I do have a couple questions however.

• Staying warm, Lambeau in December…! How do the local’s week in and week out stay warm for the entire game? What would you recommend I wear besides lots of layers? Any other tricks of the trade?

• We will be getting into Milwaukee around 9 or so in the morning. Making the 2hr trek to title town most likely will catch a nap then start our day. Where are all the good places (must go) for food and to begin our pregame? What are the good bars to go celebrate post game?

• Tailgating. It’s a must! Can non-season ticket holders park on any of the stadium lots? If so where are good lots to party it up? Would you recommend tailgating on the lot or somewhere else like title-town tickets? How friendly are the fellow tailgators? Could we just walk up with some beer and join the party or will they turn us away because my buddy, who sadly enough, is a ravens fan?

• Any other info you think would be helpful to us ?

Thanks guys, I cant wait!

You can "rent" a seat that has a back to it while you sit on the benches during the game and leave it there when game is over...That will help with being comfortable..There all also hand warmers that are little packs about size of a playing card..Has some ingredients that produce warmth..People put them inside mittens (mittens keep hands warmer than gloves do packets wont fit in gloves) People put those packets in their boots as well to help toes..

If you start to get cold, drink some hot chocolate, or coffee it does help..

Packers.com » Gameday » Parking

Non season ticket holder can park in the lots yes..You can even park on the lawns of houses in the neighborhood, as the stadium is smack tab in the middle of a residential neighborhood...Gates open 4 hours before kick off

Just to clarify...I forgot to add that people with handicap access are ALLOWED to park in the lots..That is how I get to park in the lots with my brother

There is a tail gating zone on the parking lot..

Packers.com » Gameday » Tundra Tailgate Zone

Brett Favres steak house has a good tailgating option too..for $25 you can get all the food and drink you want

Packer Fan Tours > Official PFT Tailgate Party [ The Official Tour Company of the Green Bay Packers ]

I wouldnt think you would have trouble even with an opposing teams jersey..Just dont be a d*ick and people should treat you great..

Enjoy the game!

UtahPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple more tips

If it's really cold you'll see people carrying pieces of styrofoam. Like the bottom of a cheap cooler. They put their feet on it to insulate the cold from the concrete under their feet. I went to the NFC championship game against the Giants and wished I had known about that one!

Nothing like Lambeau for a tailgate...people are very welcoming. It's a great party.

OP
OP
liljohn5115

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sweet deal, I heard of the styrofoam trick from one of my buddies I think. I thought it was a joke. Have to keep that in mind. It shouldn't be a problem meeting random people and tailgating with them, Half of the fans down here are rude and I still manage to find the good ones in the group.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sweet deal, I heard of the styrofoam trick from one of my buddies I think. I thought it was a joke. Have to keep that in mind. It shouldn't be a problem meeting random people and tailgating with them, Half of the fans down here are rude and I still manage to find the good ones in the group.

Or just about anything to keep your feet off the concrete..Piece of rug, cardboard etc..

but yes I would think styrofoam would be best

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
December 7 should be pretty warm yet. Up here in NE Wisconsin, we start to thinkin' about MAYBE closing windows and stuff about that time...so, you should be ok.

Now, the styrofoam is a MUST, particularly depending on where you're sitting in Lambeau. If on the East side of the stadium, particularly the NE side ... you're open to winds coming in from the southwest corner of the stadium that doesn't have full enclosure (future expansion you know). In addition to the styrofoam ... make darn sure that you've got more than one pair of socks on...and I'm talking real socks - sweat socks are 'second' best.

When I used to hit the cold weather games, I had a pair of battery operated hunting socks that ran off a "D" cell battery for each sock - and I'd take an extra battery along for each sock.

I only bring it up because (take it from a grizzled Lambeau veteran) once your feet get cold ... you're not going to be able to enjoy the experience.

Words of advice #2 -- don't think for one minute that alcohol acts as anti-freeze ... hahahaha.... it makes you colder.

Game day parking: No ... the stadium lots are sold to season ticket holders. If you're driving your own vehicle, there is a ton of parking available at a price of course. People plow out their back yards along almost all of the side streets surrounding the stadium. If you get there early enough or get lucky, you might even find an open spot on one of the side streets that won't cost you.
Rule of thumb ... the closer you get to the stadium with your vehicle, the more it will cost you to park, and the longer it will take you to get out after the game.

Suggestion: Marty's Boston Crab on Lombardi Ave (East of the stadium). $35 per all you can eat (and it's GOOD stuff!! they don't hold nothing back) and drink, including a Bloody Mary bar, parking and ride to and from the stadium.

Tailgating ... I've advised this here before ... you tell any Packer tailgater where you're from and that it's your first visit to Lambeau and 200:1 you're going to get force-fed by these people...your buddy in his Ravens jersey will be treated royally if he doesn't talk ****, ya know?
There is also a HUGE tailgate area constructed now in the East Lambeau parking lot .. it is put on by the Packers so... my guess is, it'll 'cost' - never been in it but they have live music and the whole schtick from what I understand.

After the game... the spots on Holmgren Way ... you can essentially walk from bar to bar.

OP
OP
liljohn5115

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Helpful advice! I was thinking about borrowing my dads electric hunting socks anyway. I get more excited about the 7th every passing day!

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Liljohn, I hope you guys have a blast! (Well I hope you have a little more fun than your friend. ;) )

Excellent advice so far from everyone. As LTF said there are several tailgating options that offer all you can eat/drink for around $25. I usually attend the titletowntickets.com tailgate party. But the Brett Favre Steakhouse one is good as well.

The reason I like the titletown tickets tailgate when its cold, is because you can go inside (In the Resch Center) and warm up if you want. There are tables set up inside and outside, but no chairs. The only restrooms are the portable restrooms outside. And believe me, the food and drinks truly are unlimited. I have tested it with the drinks. LOL

Its a nice way to get your belly full, and get a nice buzz before the game, saving money on stadium concessions.

Or for $50, there is the titletown tickets VIP party which is in the same location. With the VIP tailgate you get:

• Upgraded menu - including grilled chicken and ribs
  • UNLIMITED bloody Mary's and screwdrivers
  • Seating for all attendees
  • Climate controlled environment
  • Private indoor restrooms
  • Spectacular 2nd floor view of Lambeau Field
  • Plasma TV's to view the pre-game show or early NFL games
  • Access to the Standard Tailgate Party
More info here: http://titletowntickets.com/p/tailgate-party

The Stadium View Bar and Grill is a pretty cool place to hangout after the game. It is just a few blocks East of the Stadium on Holmgren Way. Curley's Pub in the Lambeau Field Atrium is also a good place to hang out.

Bentley's has really good food as does Kroll's West. Kroll's is located just west of Lambeau, and Bentley's is about 2 miles from Lambeau on 2571 Packerland Dr.

And just in case you didn't see it the first time LTF posted it; when you get to Lambeau for the game, make sure you rent one of the cushioned clip on seats with seat backs. All the bowl seating in Lambeau is metal bleachers and they will be very cold. The clip on seats are only $6 and you just leave it there after the game.

Here is what they look like. (Me and a friend at the Packers/Lions game last year)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
liljohn5115

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good deal. Would you recommend spending the extra $25 bucks and getting the VIP tailgate at titletown tickets? We figure it's gonna be a once in a very long time (lifetime for him, I hope to be back again.) opportunity so we want to make sure we do it right!

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good deal. Would you recommend spending the extra $25 bucks and getting the VIP tailgate at titletown tickets? We figure it's gonna be a once in a very long time (lifetime for him, I hope to be back again.) opportunity so we want to make sure we do it right!

If you have the money, go for it! I have done both. The main reason I got the VIP one last time, was I wanted a place to sit down and eat, rather than standing for a 2+ hours. Plus, I just kind of wanted to treat myself.

BOTH will be indoors, (there will be tables/music outside as well) so you will be out of the cold either way. Its starts 3 hours prior to kickoff.

OP
OP
liljohn5115

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good deal, i'll talk to my buddy about it. With all expenses included the trip is just a little over $600 bucks not counting booze, tailgating, food and what not. I have the money, but not to just go crazy with. But we did agree we would go all out since this is something you do not do on any given day.

OP
OP
liljohn5115

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I was thinking, Would anyone be interested in meeting up with us and tailgating for this game? I figure it would be best to be shown by a local how to do it up right in green bay. And why not someone i've been chatting on here with for the last few weeks. So let me know it's my buddy and I and then there is another guy I know who has 4 or 5 people with him. We are all looking to meet up and party with some the folks in green bay!

green bay uk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry lol but I have to ask this - " electric hunting socks " ?

Enjoy your trip liljohn, I am sure it will be amazing everyone's first trip always is going by the fans I have spoke to.

Would you say the majority at Lambeau rent these seats? on the pic it looks like the back of the seat might dig into people's knees behind you.

OP
OP
liljohn5115

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, they're sock that have a battery pack that operate if im not mistaken similar to how an electric blanket does. Either way,I decided not to go with the socks, just bought some toe warmers instead. 3 days away!

ndandrea91

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am from Pennsylvania and considering making my first traveling expirence to Lambeau either this year or next year. How great is it there

OP
OP
liljohn5115

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So how did it go?

Amazingly! Everyone was friendly as could be, ran into alot of random **** like the rental car in Milwaukee wouldnt give us the car, only to be saved by a fellow baltimorian, and his limo! The trip pretty much was like that movie the hangover... lol but a long story short, we had a blast and are definitely planning on doin it again soon.

Members online