First 53 prediction

D

Deleted member 6794

I think this exercise is so dependant on pre-season injuries that it is almost futile to even guess. I think it's very possible that we'll again start the season with 7 offensive lineman and 3 RB's with Franklin on PUP. That would leave room for 6 Wr's , 5 TE's/FB and 3 QB's for total of 24 on offense. That leaves 26 for defense. It may come down to who they think they can cut and hide on practice squad. Guys like Goodson, Janus, Lyerla may fall into this category.

I agree Goodson and Janis are practice squad candidates, can´t see the Packers putting Lyerla on it though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Janis could be #5 on the depth chart at WR. To me he's another Jordy Nelson.

There are a lot of possible scenarios how the WR depth chart could work out after the top 4. Comparing a guy who played Division II football to a guy like Nelson is waaaaay premature.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Janis is about the same size as Nelson and coming out is faster and a better jumper. But the biggest knocks on him I've read are inconsistent hands - not a hands catcher - and division II competition. I don't think the competition he faced is nearly as important as his ability to consistently catch the ball. Could he earn the #5 spot? Certainly, but that prediction is coming from someone who is also predicting Davante Adams won't make the team. BTW, Janis' reported weakness is a main strength of Adams, who led division I in receptions last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Janis is about the same size as Nelson and coming out is faster and a better jumper. But the biggest knocks on him I've read are inconsistent hands - not a hands catcher - and division II competition. I don't think the competition he faced is nearly as important as his ability to consistently catch the ball. Could he earn the #5 spot? Certainly, but that prediction is coming from someone who is also predicting Davante Adams won't make the team. BTW, Janis' reported weakness is a main strength of Adams, who led division I in receptions last season.

I think the competition he faced is something to consider as well, especially after he got shut down by the only NFL caliber CB he faced last year (Brandon Dixon, sixth round pick by the Jets).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO, Janis is a very good developmental project similar to the Johnson kid we drafted in the 7th round last year. The question is, can he be hidden on the practice squad without being claimed?

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO, Janis is a very good developmental project similar to the Johnson kid we drafted in the 7th round last year. The question is, can he be hidden on the practice squad without being claimed?

It´s tough to predict if a team in need of a receiver would claim him. The Packers will have to get rid of some talented guys at the position as I think there are nine WR on the roster capable of making an NFL team.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Myles white, chris Harper, the 3 draft picks and Cobb, Nelson, Boykin. Who am I forgetting? I can see Goodson making it through to the ps but no way on Lyerla and Janis unless Janis can't catch in preseason.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis is like 6'3 215 (If I remember correctly) and runs in the 4.2s you can NOT risk him on practice squad. I think he takes the final roster spot at receiver.

D

Deleted member 6794

Janis is like 6'3 215 (If I remember correctly) and runs in the 4.2s you can NOT risk him on practice squad. I think he takes the final roster spot at receiver.

Janis ran a 4.42 at the combine. Nobody´s doubting his speed but he has to prove he can get open vs. NFL corners and catch the ball at this level.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a waste of a draft pick to let him go onto the PS. However, you can only probably keep 6 WR's this year at the most. I trust they will take the 6 best receivers, not necessarily the 6 most NFL ready. Time will tell, it's a good problem to have.

D

Deleted member 6794

It would be a waste of a draft pick to let him go onto the PS. However, you can only probably keep 6 WR's this year at the most. I trust they will take the 6 best receivers, not necessarily the 6 most NFL ready. Time will tell, it's a good problem to have.

Not all draft picks make a team's 53 on opening day, especially late rounders. Last year neither Charles Johnson nor Kevin Dorsey made it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
6th and 7th round draft picks are almost definitely developmental type players for a roster as deep as the Packers. Strange thing is that part of the reason we are this deep in roster talent is because of the way we've been beaten up by injuries the last four years. Lot of guys have had a chance to play meaningful amounts of minutes because we had no choice but baptism by fire. The scouts and staff have done a terrific job of keeping the ship afloat and prospering. Naysayers will be quick to point out the failures at backup QB and safety, but the potential for disasters like Houston, Arizona, Giants and Falcons have been averted and we've been very competitive through tough times. We're the class of the NFC North and I don't think anyone in the league views us as an easy mark. Some good luck for a change on the injury front I think would improve everyones outlook.

D

Deleted member 6794

Strange thing is that part of the reason we are this deep in roster talent is because of the way we've been beaten up by injuries the last four years. Lot of guys have had a chance to play meaningful amounts of minutes because we had no choice but baptism by fire. The scouts and staff have done a terrific job of keeping the ship afloat and prospering.

A lot of late rounds picks and undrafted guys got way more playing time than expected because of injuries over the last few seasons which helped their development. It´s possible though that some of them won´t even make the team if injuries don´t hit again during the preseason. To make things even tougher those guys mostly aren´t practice squad eligible anymore.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of late rounds picks and undrafted guys got way more playing time than expected because of injuries over the last few seasons which helped their development. It´s possible though that some of them won´t even make the team if injuries don´t hit again during the preseason. To make things even tougher those guys mostly aren´t practice squad eligible anymore.
Yep, competition is going to be fierce in August for those 53 slots. Would be great to see the team play well in preseason games. Ted might be able to trade a couple of them for late round draft picks in 15. There are going to be a lot of NFL team scouts watching the Packers. It's no secret that we have a loaded roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yep, competition is going to be fierce in August for those 53 slots. Would be great to see the team play well in preseason games. Ted might be able to trade a couple of them for late round draft picks in 15. There are going to be a lot of NFL team scouts watching the Packers. It's no secret that we have a loaded roster.

I think WR is the only position the Packers are extremely deep at and a lot of those guys are still unproven. It´s possible the team will have to cut a RB, CB or DL other teams are interested in, but I don´t expect a lot of players not making the Packers 53 being picked up by other teams.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franklin is all but certain to start the season on pup. So that means running backs will be Lacy, Starks, Harris, Kuhn with Neal as insurance on the ps. TE Quarless, Lyerla, Rodgers, Bostick. WR Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Janis/aberderius /Harper. 2 of those 3 make it as #4 and 5 WR.

D

Deleted member 6794

Franklin is all but certain to start the season on pup. So that means running backs will be Lacy, Starks, Harris, Kuhn with Neal as insurance on the ps.

Although it seems the Packers are concerned Franklin´s injury is career threating it is premature to assume Franklin will start the season on the PUP list. We´ll have to wait until the start of camp to find out what´s going on.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franklin is all but certain to start the season on pup. So that means running backs will be Lacy, Starks, Harris, Kuhn with Neal as insurance on the ps. TE Quarless, Lyerla, Rodgers, Bostick. WR Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Janis/aberderius /Harper. 2 of those 3 make it as #4 and 5 WR.

You mean make it as 5 and 6? You have Nelson, Cobb, Boykin and Adams listed before them. IMO those 4 are shoe ins for roster spots. Do we keep 6 WRs this seasons? Otherwise, if we only keep 5, I say the Badger rookie makes the team.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah we will 100% keep 6 WR on opening day 53. So of theses four, two make the team Janis, Aberdarius, Harper, Dorsey. I think White is as good as gone as he got a chance to play last season and did nothing impressive with that opportunity. And I don't think its early to realize Franklin will be starting on pup. The packers are known to be one of the most careful teams when it comes to neck injuries. And on top of that it benefits them by saving a roster spot while keeping Franklin for injury insurance later in the season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah we will 100% keep 6 WR on opening day 53. So of theses four, two make the team Janis, Aberdarius, Harper, Dorsey. I think White is as good as gone as he got a chance to play last season and did nothing impressive with that opportunity. And I don't think its early to realize Franklin will be starting on pup. The packers are known to be one of the most careful teams when it comes to neck injuries. And on top of that it benefits them by saving a roster spot while keeping Franklin for injury insurance later in the season.
100%???? Wow, you must be clairvoyant. I would bet that Thompson isn't even 50% sure of that yet.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think WR is the only position the Packers are extremely deep at and a lot of those guys are still unproven. It´s possible the team will have to cut a RB, CB or DL other teams are interested in, but I don´t expect a lot of players not making the Packers 53 being picked up by other teams.
We could be pretty deep on OL barring camp injuries. I wouldn't be surprised to see Thompson start the season with 7 OL again. Especially if Bulaga wins back his starting spot. Although I think it is more likely they'll start the season with 8.

Members online

Latest posts