First 53 prediction

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taller, faster, drafted (again, projected higher in a deep draft) obviously someone Ted wanted.

White is shorter, slot guy, UDFA that was a small surprise last year. (Keep another UD over a pick?)

Harper a bust at this point...3rd team...talk about not wanted. Not sure where his place is given the position changes.

If you are sold on these two and last years 7th, why draft another WR?

Tell me something I'm not seeing?

Harper was also drafted. I don't want to list off all the busts at WR and how route running is a main reason for a lot of the busts. But you can't say Janis is any better before you've seen him on the field in the pros. You know white was good enough to make the team last year, automatically giving him the edge. Janis could bust out, never know. White has proven himself more at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he was...4th round and again, 3rd team. Don't see him making it. White was PS and called up due to Cobb injury. No one else to bring up.

So IMO, Janis the 6th WR behind Jordy. Boykin/Adams on the other side. Cobb and JAbbs in the slot.

Put Janis on the PS. Jax, Miami, Oak, somebody grabs him off. White/Harper, not as much a concern. I give ya White has a yr exp but his best yr in college was 56 for 700ish. Nothing eye popping. Janis's bio, tho lower college level, is more than impressive and again, someone Ted wanted and drafted. He may have hands of stone, numbers don't show that and there's a fella named ARod throwing him the ball. Nothing but upside in my eyes.

So better? Yeah that's what I digest from all the reads. (Don't see White in too much conversation either).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I’d guess they’ll keep 3 QBs. Both Tolzien and Flynn are free agents in 2015 and Thompson and McCarthy, in addition to wanting the security of having both of them this season, may want to see if Tolzien can handle backup duties in 2015 and beyond as he’d be the cheaper, 2-years younger alternative with the stronger arm.

As to how many players at each position will be kept we should probably keep in mind Thompson and McCarthy don’t know. There’s an obvious range at each one, but that’s it IMO.

I hope Janis becomes a force at WR. His measurables are fantastic. But realistically, he does have some negatives to overcome – obviously that’s why he was a seventh rounder. Here are his negatives from the nfl.com combine profiles:
Has very small, inconsistent hands -- will cradle the ball and use his body. Is not a nuanced route runner. Does not attack the ball in the air and will give up some break points. Not strong after the catch and will look for a soft landing spot. Can be fazed by traffic. Regularly faced Division II competition. Not a consistent blocker -- does not play to his size.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jeff-janis?id=2543750

The thing that jumps out at me and IMO will most likely determine his fate is his ability/inability to consistently catch the ball. If his hands are inconsistent he’s not making the 53. Will they be able to “hide” him on the practice squad? That depends upon how well/poorly he does in TC and preseason games.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he was...4th round and again, 3rd team. Don't see him making it. White was PS and called up due to Cobb injury. No one else to bring up.

So IMO, Janis the 6th WR behind Jordy. Boykin/Adams on the other side. Cobb and JAbbs in the slot.

Put Janis on the PS. Jax, Miami, Oak, somebody grabs him off. White/Harper, not as much a concern. I give ya White has a yr exp but his best yr in college was 56 for 700ish. Nothing eye popping. Janis's bio, tho lower college level, is more than impressive and again, someone Ted wanted and drafted. He may have hands of stone, numbers don't show that and there's a fella named ARod throwing him the ball. Nothing but upside in my eyes.

So better? Yeah that's what I digest from all the reads. (Don't see White in too much conversation either).

Okay... Jon Baldwin. Former 1st round pick projected MUCH better of a receiver than Janis. Complete bust. Has done nothing in the league. That could happen with anyone. We know Myles White is worthy of being on our 53. Just because he was brought up from the PS doesn't mean there weren't any free agent options, and it doesn't mean there weren't 30 other PS receivers from other teams they could have grabbed. They liked white. Yes, ted wanted Janis or he wouldn't have drafted him. He also wanted all the busts we've had.

Aaron Andrews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I have watched tons of film on Janis for a long time. He will be on the team guaranteed! Also so will Abby and Adams. Janis I could see on the practice squad for a few weeks until something goes down with the starters. I honestly still feel with contract negotiations with Nelson and Cobb there are reasons for these guys being drafted. Look at Adams...he reminds me so much of Greg Jennings. Then you have Abby who could very well end up being a Randall Cobb type of player. Then you have Janis who plays a similar game to Nelson. Only time will tell, but Green Bay fans should be realistic and think maybe one of these guys won't be signed or both. As much as we all want Cobb and Nelson back Ted is protecting himself from possible disaster later.

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay... Jon Baldwin. Former 1st round pick projected MUCH better of a receiver than Janis. Complete bust. Has done nothing in the league. That could happen with anyone. We know Myles White is worthy of being on our 53. Just because he was brought up from the PS doesn't mean there weren't any free agent options, and it doesn't mean there weren't 30 other PS receivers from other teams they could have grabbed. They liked white. Yes, ted wanted Janis or he wouldn't have drafted him. He also wanted all the busts we've had.

There were no other options when called up. Cobb went down, Jones was doubtful. Then IR end of year...

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I’d guess they’ll keep 3 QBs. Both Tolzien and Flynn are free agents in 2015 and Thompson and McCarthy, in addition to wanting the security of having both of them this season, may want to see if Tolzien can handle backup duties in 2015 and beyond as he’d be the cheaper, 2-years younger alternative with the stronger arm.

As to how many players at each position will be kept we should probably keep in mind Thompson and McCarthy don’t know. There’s an obvious range at each one, but that’s it IMO.

I hope Janis becomes a force at WR. His measurables are fantastic. But realistically, he does have some negatives to overcome – obviously that’s why he was a seventh rounder. Here are his negatives from the nfl.com combine profiles: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jeff-janis?id=2543750

The thing that jumps out at me and IMO will most likely determine his fate is his ability/inability to consistently catch the ball. If his hands are inconsistent he’s not making the 53. Will they be able to “hide” him on the practice squad? That depends upon how well/poorly he does in TC and preseason games.

Agreed on some negatives. But gotta love the upside he brings. Doubt he hides from the others

D

Deleted member 6794

And I hope Worthy makes it! Too many wasted picks on D to not hope otherwise. Be the 53rd! But that would mean who doesn't make the cut on the line...Boyd, Guion, Jones? Good comp! Someone please step up to your expectations.

There´s no chance Datone Jones won´t make the team.

Honestly I have watched tons of film on Janis for a long time. He will be on the team guaranteed! Also so will Abby and Adams. Janis I could see on the practice squad for a few weeks until something goes down with the starters. I honestly still feel with contract negotiations with Nelson and Cobb there are reasons for these guys being drafted. Look at Adams...he reminds me so much of Greg Jennings. Then you have Abby who could very well end up being a Randall Cobb type of player. Then you have Janis who plays a similar game to Nelson. Only time will tell, but Green Bay fans should be realistic and think maybe one of these guys won't be signed or both. As much as we all want Cobb and Nelson back Ted is protecting himself from possible disaster later.

It´s possible one of Nelson and Cobb won´t be back in 2015. I don´t see any scenario in which the Packers let both of them walk away after next season though.

Janis is an exceptional athlete and he had great production at the Division II level. There´s no way to tell how that success will translate to the NFL level though. In addition I´m a little bit worried about his production against the only top-notch corner he faced last season in Brandon Dixon (6th round pick) when he was held to only three catches for 49 yards.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers really like Tolzien and I expect him to make the team. While he produced too many turnovers last season he has better arm strength than Flynn and should be able to be a solid backup when he´s up to speed with the system.

Keep in mind that two of his INTs were the result of WRs not catching the ball and tipping it up in the air. Another one was a batted ball at the LOS. Those happen to everyone at times.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were no other options when called up. Cobb went down, Jones was doubtful. Then IR end of year...

Out of all the other teams practice squads in the league and the free agents left, there were no other options? So Myles white was our only option whatsoever? Wow, that's need to me. :eek:

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nelson and Janis are very different. Jennings isn't much like Adams either. Adams is the only rookie I could compare to Nelson and he isn't even like Nelson in any respect really except back shoulder catches maybe.

Aaron Andrews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson and Janis are very different. Jennings isn't much like Adams either. Adams is the only rookie I could compare to Nelson and he isn't even like Nelson in any respect really except back shoulder catches maybe.

Well I guess we differ then haha.

D

Deleted member 6794

Keep in mind that two of his INTs were the result of WRs not catching the ball and tipping it up in the air. Another one was a batted ball at the LOS. Those happen to everyone at times.

None of Tolzien´s interceptions were the result of a WR tipping the ball up in the air or being deflected at the LOS. Take a look at the plays.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion should make the team just didn't know who to exclude. Maybe Kuhn because apparently Lyerla has experience at fullback. If he can pass protect/lead block? He is a much better option running the ball or catching it out of the backfield than Kuhn. Plus he would save a roster spot allowing Guion or Worthy to make the team as the 7th dlinemen. I think you gotta keep the 4 running backs. They all bring something different to the team. If your down on Harris go back and watch the playoff game v sf he was the best player on the team in that game til they stopped giving him the ball. He's so quick.

D

Deleted member 6794

Guion should make the team just didn't know who to exclude. Maybe Kuhn because apparently Lyerla has experience at fullback. If he can pass protect/lead block? He is a much better option running the ball or catching it out of the backfield than Kuhn. Plus he would save a roster spot allowing Guion or Worthy to make the team as the 7th dlinemen. I think you gotta keep the 4 running backs. They all bring something different to the team. If your down on Harris go back and watch the playoff game v sf he was the best player on the team in that game til they stopped giving him the ball. He's so quick.

Lyerla won´t play fullback in the NFL. I don´t think the Packers will keep all four RBs and with Lacy and Starks being a lock to make it that leaves Franklin and Harris battling for the last spot. While Harris was the best RB on the team late in 2012 I think a lot of people tend to exaggerate what he can really do. Take a look at the Cincy game last year and tell me Franklin can´t do the same stuff.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True Franklin had a good game at cincy and showed hes worth keeping and developing but he doesn't run the same as Harris he not nearly as quick or decisive or powerful. Harris picks up that 4th down while Franklin had no chance cause he's more of a shifty guy which is not what you need in short yardage. Not saying it was franklins fault saying that's not his game and they would have been better off running a QB sneak or the old Kuhn or even Raji. Think you gotta keep both of them. My bet is Franklin starts on the pup due to the neck issue we've heard so little about. I also like the idea of signing jolly and stashing him on pup for line depth mid season in case of injury. And I believe if healthy jolly top 3 DL on the packers he can't play.now if Datone jones makes that year two jump, and I think he will he would knock jolly out of top 3 other two being Daniels and peppers. I really think that ankle injury hampered jones the whole season reminds me of Jennings first season suffered early ankle injury was never the same and had an ok season came back year two and broke out.

D

Deleted member 6794

True Franklin had a good game at cincy and showed hes worth keeping and developing but he doesn't run the same as Harris he not nearly as quick or decisive or powerful. Harris picks up that 4th down while Franklin had no chance cause he's more of a shifty guy which is not what you need in short yardage. Not saying it was franklins fault saying that's not his game and they would have been better off running a QB sneak or the old Kuhn or even Raji. Think you gotta keep both of them. My bet is Franklin starts on the pup due to the neck issue we've heard so little about. I also like the idea of signing jolly and stashing him on pup for line depth mid season in case of injury. And I believe if healthy jolly top 3 DL on the packers he can't play.now if Datone jones makes that year two jump, and I think he will he would knock jolly out of top 3 other two being Daniels and peppers. I really think that ankle injury hampered jones the whole season reminds me of Jennings first season suffered early ankle injury was never the same and had an ok season came back year two and broke out.

Franklin will make the team as long as the neck injury he suffered last season allows him to. We´ll probably will know more about the severity of it next week when OTAs get underway. I would like to bring Jolly back as well, but first he has to be medically cleared.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonna disagree with the O.P. in some areas

QB: Perfect

RB: I don't see DuJuan Harris making the team, but if he does it's at Starks' expense, Packers won't keep 4.

FB: Something tells me it won't JUST be Kuhn here, cause what happens if he gets hurt?

WR: While yes I agree on the number here, I'm not sure it's gonna be Davante Adams in the mix.

TE: Without Finley this position is a total mess, I like Lyerla's size, but can he impress and keep his nose clean. If so I'll agree here, though I think Bostick is either the starter or back not #3. If Lyerla can't we keep the other 3.

OL: I think Sherrod doesn't make it, and if Bulaga is healthy maybe Barclay doesn't either. If Tretter can't play guard he may also go, cause I think Linsley will be the starter at C.

DBs: I'll agree here cause I think either Hyde or Heyward are gonna add depth at Safety.

OLB: Admittedly I haven't seen Bradford and Crawford play, but of the other 3, Matthews is the only one I trust. Neal and Perry could go or stay, not sure.

ILB: If Brad Jones makes this team my head will EXPLODE! This is the worst linebacker in the league!

DL: I'll keep 5 of your 6 guys, I think Raji is on the bubble because of his production over the last 2 years and the cap number. Still would've rather had Nix instead of Thornton, but I'll at least look at Thornton before I send him packing.

Special Teams: You hit this perfectly.

Practice Squad: Hard to say, I think Lyerla could land here, maybe Davante Adams as well.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Brad Jones will make the team and likely start. Can we get pictures of your head exploding? :D

Davante Adams will absolutely positively make the team. If he gets injured he goes on IR. The chance of him going to the PS are so small it may as well be zero.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was the 26 yard td run v sf in that playoff game at candle stick Harris jukes the safety i believe it was witner who as a result tackles the defender pursuing Harris from behind. That is not an exaggeration of what Harris can do and that is something no other back on the team can do. Harris is the perfect 1-2 with Lacy and don't get me wrong i really like Starks too. In my eyes Starks is the backup to Lacy ie a bigger back and Franklin is a backup to Harris. Maybe this udrfa Perkins can do what Harris did so well but I have not seen him play in the nfl yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

RB: I don't see DuJuan Harris making the team, but if he does it's at Starks' expense, Packers won't keep 4.

If the Packers keep only three RBs and Harris makes the team it will be at the expense of Franklin.

FB: Something tells me it won't JUST be Kuhn here, cause what happens if he gets hurt?

There´s no chance the Packers will keep two FBs. If Kuhn gets injured and the team feels the need to bring in another I´m quite sure Liaina won´t be signed by anyone else.

WR: While yes I agree on the number here, I'm not sure it's gonna be Davante Adams in the mix.

Adams was a second round pick two weeks ago, he´ll make the team for sure.

OL: I think Sherrod doesn't make it, and if Bulaga is healthy maybe Barclay doesn't either. If Tretter can't play guard he may also go, cause I think Linsley will be the starter at C.

At least one of Barclay or Sherrod will make the team, otherwise the Packers wouldn´t have a backup tackle on the roster. If you want to get rid of Tretter as well that would leave the team with five OL.

DBs: I'll agree here cause I think either Hyde or Heyward are gonna add depth at Safety.

Hayward won´t move to safety.

OLB: Admittedly I haven't seen Bradford and Crawford play, but of the other 3, Matthews is the only one I trust. Neal and Perry could go or stay, not sure.

None of us has ever seen Crawford play. Actually I believe even Thompson hasn´t, probably that´s why he´s not the roster.

ILB: If Brad Jones makes this team my head will EXPLODE! This is the worst linebacker in the league!

Jones will make the team and probably will be the starter opposite Hawk.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think it was the 26 yard td run v sf in that playoff game at candle stick Harris jukes the safety i believe it was witner who as a result tackles the defender pursuing Harris from behind. That is not an exaggeration of what Harris can do and that is something no other back on the team can do. Harris is the perfect 1-2 with Lacy and don't get me wrong i really like Starks too. In my eyes Starks is the backup to Lacy ie a bigger back and Franklin is a backup to Harris. Maybe this udrfa Perkins can do what Harris did so well but I have not seen him play in the nfl yet.

Harris made a great cut to make Whitner miss, but the blocking was great on that run and he entered the endzone untouched. I´m totally sure Franklin could have made that play as well.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Both Harris and Franklin are coming off of injuries. How will each respond? McCarthy really liked Harris and so did I. Will Harris start up where he left off before the injury? Will he regress? Will Franklin take a big step forward in his sophomore season? Will he be the same, or regress?

I expected this to be a much easier decision and then they brought Starks back. If they all stay healthy, I think they're going to release a good RB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I expected this to be a much easier decision and then they brought Starks back. If they all stay healthy, I think they're going to release a good RB.

I was surprised as well when they re-signed Starks. To me, that means they´re concerned about Harris and Franklin being able to bounce back from their respective injuries. I´m curious if any of them will be participating in next week´s OTAs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts