Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need more talent at corner.

Won't be surprised if we acquire a mid priced FA next season for that position.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers is a 3-4 defensive coach. There have only been a few successful 3-4 teams defenses in the history of the league. It takes a special set of players. Pittsburgh is one of those teams that always plays the 3-4 very well. They get to the passer and they stop the run. They always have linebackers with versatility as well as talent. Capers had his roots back there. If Capers goes expect to see a 4-3 formation and a whole revamp of our defense.
In fairness to Capers he does not have all the players to succeed. The last defensive coach we had that helped to bring us a SB was Fritz Shurmur. Fritz had guys like Eugene Robinson, Doug Evans, LeRoy Butler,and Gilbert Brown. And....a guy named Reggie White.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ive showed my frustration with him. This game showed how horrible he is. Put your input
Point back at it at the end of the season. I'm willing to give him until then to prove himself. My question is, who would you replace him with?

Tackling was still a problem, but I for one was impressed by DJ Smith, even with the mistakes. LOTS OF GUYS trying to just push the guy with the ball down instead of actually tackling him. Also, this is the NFL, batting the guys legs doesn't work either. That was something I saw being practiced, something that I don't like.

Please tell me why in the blue blaze was Perry in coverage? We already established he isn't ready for that yet, keep the kid on the rush. Lots of miscommunications (the Moss TD comes to mind) and players out of place.

Play calling wasn't great on either side of the ball, and even the refs had a bad night too. I saw a lot of sloppy play on our part, too many penalties.

The offense was just as bad as the Defense in the first half. Somebody said that the receivers did their job tonight, last time I checked their job was to run their routes and catch the ball. Under that definition, the only one who did their job consistently was Cobb. Benson had little help against a superb run defense, and I for one applaud him for at least not fumbling. Rodgers tried to force too much tonight, not that he had time or options.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I can't even read through all of these posts. I'm shocked to see everyone thinks the D is horrible.
This is a very young defense. Lots of young players at important positions/responsibilities. No question they looked out of sync but it was the first game. We took our first six draft picks on D and you all are expecting them to look like all pros?
We have UDFAs and rookies and second year players at key positions too. I thought we looked darned good on D. The 9ers coached a masterful job on offense. Nobody in the NFL was ready for the stuff they played. Well thought out game plan by the San Fran coaches. Seriously, the Packers are in good shape IMHO.
The Vikings are rebuilding, the Lions could be said to be rebuilding. The Bears are getting older and older. The Packers are a very young team and they looked good against the 2nd best team in the NFC. They rebuild and still are strong. All kinds of new pieces in the D, many not past that 2nd year "jump" and the one that was... House gets injured.
Not drinking the Koolaid folks, I like this team. Personally I"m giving Dom Capers a pass on this game. Let's get ready for the NFCN and the Bears.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I checked their job was to run their routes and catch the ball. Under that definition, the only one who did their job consistently was Cobb. Benson had little help against a superb run defense, and I for one applaud him for at least not fumbling. Rodgers tried to force too much tonight, not that he had time or options.

Cobb was not the only guy to do his job consistently. Nelson and Jones played well as well.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 9ers have a good defense, yes, but the Saints scored 32 points against the 9ers in their playoff game last season. Our offense is supposed to be as good as the Saints', but it looks like they left off right where they did against the Giants last season. :(

Also I think it's too early to say "Fire Capers", but if this keeps up, then that will mean the Packers defense has stunk in 3 out of the 4 years he's been here. If this keeps up, then the 2010 defense was a fluke. Maybe there's a reason Capers couldn't find a head coaching job after 2010...

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Cobb was not the only guy to do his job consistently. Nelson and Jones played well as well.
Jones did an excellent job just not catching the ball, and I'm going to give him a hard time over that interference call. Nelson gets flack for the Culliver play, granted it really wasn't his fault, timing was a bit of an issue. They did admittedly do pretty well, but I would have liked to have seen a bit more separation from Nelson. then again I didn get a chance to see much of him with the camera angles focused on AR.

Irate Genius

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not Capers' fault, young D felt they could play this game with their hands tied behind their backs. For some reason I don't know. However, the blitz was good, would like to see Perry and Matthews switch sides alot more. Also see a lot of Woodson and Bush blitz since they can't cover(not that Woodson can't, just that it for some reason seems cool for him to not be a corner, WTF!!!??)

Also, first post, Soo.....
Go Easy On Me Guys!!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Capers is a 3-4 defensive coach. There have only been a few successful 3-4 teams defenses in the history of the league. It takes a special set of players. Pittsburgh is one of those teams that always plays the 3-4 very well. They get to the passer and they stop the run. They always have linebackers with versatility as well as talent. Capers had his roots back there. If Capers goes expect to see a 4-3 formation and a whole revamp of our defense.
In fairness to Capers he does not have all the players to succeed. The last defensive coach we had that helped to bring us a SB was Fritz Shurmur. Fritz had guys like Eugene Robinson, Doug Evans, LeRoy Butler,and Gilbert Brown. And....a guy named Reggie White.

You're spot on about the defensive personnel being better back then, but I believe Capers defense brought us a Super Bowl a couple years ago. That defense had Big Ben wondering what the heck was going on out there. They weren't the caliber of Reggie and company, but they had their heads on straight.

Reaction score
San Fran did look good. Fresh and ready to rock. The Packers looked like it was the 1st game in preseason.
They a lot of film to watch and hopefully they make corrections accordingly. I have never seen so many receivers pitch a tent in our secondary and wait for the ball to be thrown to them because they were sooooooo wide open! Now I have to listen to "the Vikings are tied for first place!":poop:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't look like the loss of Collins has been adequately addressed and the Niner receivers were open all over the place. Bush couldn't cover a picnic table with a checkered cloth. Send him back to special teams and bring in some real talent.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
It does seem that some of the problems that plagued the defense last year have not been addressed. Still seeing blown assignments and poor tackling. I hope House can play soon as I agree that Bush is not starting quality.

Reaction score
Ive showed my frustration with him. This game showed how horrible he is. Put your input
Even last year I didn't think Capers was much of a defensive genius or an effective coach. There's still not much of a pass rush and the secondary has way too many blown assignments and instances of poor communication. That's a fundamental coaching issue/shortcoming. The entire secondary and some of the rest of the defense needs to watch and practice with some Pop Warner team of 9 year-olds to learn how to tackle. It was awful last year and just as bad yesterday. How to you get to the NFL and not know how to wrap up a runner/receiver with one's arms when tackling? There's a girl scout troop in Two Rivers that tackles better than the Packer D-backs.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
seems like every time we get the other team on a 3rd and long, and you know they are going to pass, we only RUSH 3 D LINEMEN.....WTF??? That never works dropping everyone back into coverage. The other QB still seems to find that gap and pick us apart. GET SOME DAMN PRESSURE. You see other teams rush 5 on a 3rd and long and make that QB run out of the pocket and try to make a play. This crap allignments that capers has installed are a joke. Also, it is clear that Perry is not ready to be dropped back into coverage. His sole job should be to rush the passer. I say install him at certain times only. To many people missed blocking assignments and too many DB's looked lost at times....Like when moss split 4 DAMN DB's and went untouched into the endzone for a freebee of a touchdown. That play alone helped us look like a bunch of clowns and gave SF the mojo to start off hardcore.

Next game: Bears 31- packers 17. Bears defense OWNS our ***. Marshall and culter= huge day

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we start 0-2 at home then we will be fortunate to end the month at 1-3 because the Saints can score and their defense looks better then ours even tho they looked bad yesterday as well and Seattle won't be a push over at their place. PPL we could be looking at an 0-4 start unless these guy's get it together on BOTH sides of the ball. Who needs a RB. put Randle Cobb back there and let him go to work.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're spot on about the defensive personnel being better back then, but I believe Capers defense brought us a Super Bowl a couple years ago. That defense had Big Ben wondering what the heck was going on out there. They weren't the caliber of Reggie and company, but they had their heads on straight.

The 2012 defense is missing two key pieces that the 2010 defense had. Cullen Jenkins and Nick Collins. You can't help but notice we have had communication problems in the secondary ever since Nick hasn't played.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2012 defense is missing two key pieces that the 2010 defense had. Cullen Jenkins and Nick Collins. You can't help but notice we have had communication problems in the secondary ever since Nick hasn't played.

Can't keep using that as an excuse tho. Collins has been gone a while now and all the guy's we have back there have been on the roster for at least a yr or so now minus McMillen so cumminication shouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
A

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get how TT doesn't hesitate to get rid of players who are not performing. Yet he is keeping Capers around when he is showing mediocre coaching. This defense has talent, but is lacking fundamentals badly. He is over complicating the defense for them and are constantly being caught in the wrong place or blown coverages. Collins and Jenkins helped make Capers in 2010. Now that he has to coach up some new players , this defense is a joke. Get Capers out now while the season is young and we can make something out of it or it will be a long year. Other offenses in our division only got better. We need to go back to the 4-3 defense and toughen this defense up, make other players hurt and think twice before running it up the middle

Reaction score
I don't get how TT doesn't hesitate to get rid of players who are not performing. Yet he is keeping Capers around when he is showing mediocre coaching. This defense has talent, but is lacking fundamentals badly. He is over complicating the defense for them and are constantly being caught in the wrong place or blown coverages. Collins and Jenkins helped make Capers in 2010. Now that he has to coach up some new players , this defense is a joke. Get Capers out now while the season is young and we can make something out of it or it will be a long year. Other offenses in our division only got better. We need to go back to the 4-3 defense and toughen this defense up, make other players hurt and think twice before running it up the middle
Well Said. I don't know if the the 3-4 needs to be abandoned, but they need much better coaching of defensive fundamentals and preparation. The defense was completely outclassed yesterday by a team that is not an offensive powerhouse. They made Alex Smith look like a pro-bowler. How many time has that happened in his career?

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
The Capers defense does not work. At least not with our players. He is a little blitz happy IMO. A blitz should be a surprise not the norm. He always leaves plenty of holes in the secondary. There was not one pass they couldn't complete. It is looking like another year of dread every time the defense is on the field. They always say they will improve but from what I see there was no improvement from last year until now. I did think that Hawk stepped up his game a little but it didn't make much of a difference.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Defense as we knew it would be, is a work in progress with all the new guys. Doesn't mean they don't suck, but I'm hoping they improve and we can survive the learning curve and still make the playoffs.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tooo many zone blitzes. That garbage doesn't work so try something else please. Every darn blitz was a zone blitz just about and if it didn't hit home Smith was able to exploit wide open holes that's why he looked all pro. Why is Capers so scared to man up more? this was a mediocre qb we were playing against. If sombody can't cover man to man get them out and find sombody who can. The d-line cannot get pressure and are big bellys who really don't eat up blockers because teams constantly run all over us. I really think we need to scrap the 3-4...we DO NOT have the personal to play this defense anymore. We made a change before and it worked in yr 2 but we have gone backwards in a bad way but it's run it's course.....change is ok and it's time for a change.

DocSkittles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, the defense is having some issue and hope we do't see a repeat of last years performance. Wasn't the defense under Capers when they won the Super Bowl a couple of years ago?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
What worked best was when they disguised the blitz packages. They would let Clay come from anywhere, almost like he had free range to do what he wanted and rush from wherever. I agree that the zone blitz over and over is getting predictable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts