Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO our D will be much better this year. When they do fire him or he retires the Packers may promote from w/in.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say give the guy 1 more yr. then go from there

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is a guy that coached the 11th best defense last season (according to points against) a terrible defensive coordinator? I mean, 2011 sucked (being a record-setting terrible defense isn't good) but even that year we were the middle of the road in points allowed. 2010 we were second in scoring defense and 7th in 2009.

The above is hardly the portait of a poor defensive coordinator.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is a guy that coached the 11th best defense last season (according to points against) a terrible defensive coordinator? I mean, 2011 sucked (being a record-setting terrible defense isn't good) but even that year we were the middle of the road in points allowed. 2010 we were second in scoring defense and 7th in 2009.

So how did you like his last two playoff efforts? Those numbers belie what we have seen with our own eyes.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
So how did you like his last two playoff efforts? Those numbers belie what we have seen with our own eyes.
You do realize that Capers isn't responsible for scouting the opponent offense right? I blame McCurley. He should have informed Capers better.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How is judging a coach on two games a strong argument? The Giants game, well, that defense sucked. Last year, players were in the right spots, they just stunk all around. All the coach can do is get players in the right spot and tell them what to do, at some point the blame goes on the players.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is judging a coach on two games a strong argument? The Giants game, well, that defense sucked. Last year, players were in the right spots, they just stunk all around. All the coach can do is get players in the right spot and tell them what to do, at some point the blame goes on the players.
It is not a two game evaluation. Capers defense (the numbers you posted) makes its hay against the weak and succumbs against the strong. It has been that way since 2010.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is not a two game evaluation. Capers defense (the numbers you posted) makes its hay against the weak and succumbs against the strong. It has been that way since 2010.

Hate to break it to you but any defense will give up points to a strong offense (which you tend to see in the playoffs). I think we'd all agree that San Fran's defense is pretty good. However, they gave up a lot of points to us and the Ravens in the playoffs, should they fire their defensive coordinator?

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally care less about the points scored against and more about yardage allowed. Keep that down and there is a strong correlation with having a better chance of holding the opponent's score low, even for "High Powered Offences". Our D for the last two years has not been able to play competitively, consistently, against good teams. As well that stretch of not being able to stop a 3rd down to save their life last December was ineptitude at its finest.

D

Dan115

Crosby can not kick--- Get rid of Slocum. Capers needs to go and so does Campen. Who else?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to break it to you but any defense will give up points to a strong offense (which you tend to see in the playoffs). I think we'd all agree that San Fran's defense is pretty good. However, they gave up a lot of points to us and the Ravens in the playoffs, should they fire their defensive coordinator?

Not really. When you look at the points we scored against them in the two losses, 7 came on a punt return with questionable blocking in the back, 7 came on a Shields INT return, and the last 7 came in garbage time with the game already over.

D

Dan115

Not really. When you look at the points we scored against them in the two losses, 7 came on a punt return with questionable blocking in the back, 7 came on a Shields INT return, and the last 7 came in garbage time with the game already over.

Sounds like O coach needs to go also.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I never followed this thread, and I never heard how much we extended Dom. Any answers?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I personally care less about the points scored against and more about yardage allowed. Keep that down and there is a strong correlation with having a better chance of holding the opponent's score low, even for "High Powered Offences". Our D for the last two years has not been able to play competitively, consistently, against good teams. As well that stretch of not being able to stop a 3rd down to save their life last December was ineptitude at its finest.
So you are saying you care less about actual points surrendered by the Packers defense and more about yardage allowed because if it keeps the yardage down there is a strong correlation to the first stat you mentioned that you “care less” about? IOW, yards surrendered are more important than points surrendered because if you keep the opponent’s yardage down, you surrender fewer points. Yikes.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you are saying you care less about actual points surrendered by the Packers defense and more about yardage allowed because if it keeps the yardage down there is a strong correlation to the first stat you mentioned that you “care less” about? IOW, yards surrendered are more important than points surrendered because if you keep the opponent’s yardage down, you surrender fewer points. Yikes.
Yeah I'm not seeing the fault in my thought process of evaluating a defense. Thought sure it was delivered in an overly simplistic fashion. Sunshinepacker's position focuses on "points scored against" as the sole determining factor of how good or bad a defensive unit is preforming. I agree that it is an important statistic but hardly the primary in my view. Obviously if you are able to hold down the yardage an opponent is able to gain they will have less opportunities to score, not really rocket science there. For the last few years the Packers have been pretty poor vs the run; read surrendered a lot of yardage. As a whole and all the perennial playoff teams over the last decade, with few exceptions, that go deep have really good run games. And while we're on the general subject, our pass D hasn't looked so hot the last few years as well.

Total "Yikes" there, glad you called me out for being a moron. Way to fix me bro, *high five*. Maybe next time employ some actual tact.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
. I think we'd all agree that San Fran's defense is pretty good. However, they gave up a lot of points to us

Gave up a lot of points to the Packers?

Same Shields got an int td return take that away, you got 24 points from the Pack offense

One min left the Pack got a Td, cant really count garbage time scores..It was 45 to 24 in 4th q with 3:30 left..

That is 17 points our off scored..That isnt a lot of points.

12theTruth

Capers has got his butt handed to him and our Packers got thumped out of the playoffs in three out of the last 4 seasons. Overall, Statistically the Packers D was indeed better last season. But against smash mouth football teams and teams with very mobile QB's Capers really struggled. Capers had better hope that his defense doesn't give up 40+ points in a Packers playoff loss this year or it will likely be his last game with the Pack!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must have turned the game off after the first quarter. Wilson started 6-6 for 92 yards. After the second sack, he was 5-11 for 34 yards with 2 INTs. Are you aware that Wilson recorded 0 runs in that game, planned or otherwise?
I don't believe Wilson ran a single read-option play.

This will be the trend with the running franchise QBs. RGIII incurring a concussion and a knee last season should have been the wake up call. There's just too much at stake.

That's not to say QBs won't scramble, though Wilson did not. As far a Capers in concerned, I would hope he has something up his sleeve besides man-to-man D all day, with the secondary's backs to the play.
I am very grateful that this was a pre-season game where the record has nothing to do with reg. season.
So it is impossible to say if the Packers would have won even with A-Rod and co. playing all 4.

Whenever Wilson ran, there was just too much open space for him similar to the 49ers play off game.
Apples to oranges but I want to see our D-fence learning and stopping those running QBs earlier or by keeping them in the pocket.

BTW: I just hope that letting Chuck go won't come back to bite us in the rear later on.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I noticed about Capers; Everytime I log onto this site I see a "Fire Capers" thread with dozens of pages of replies claiming how bad he is.

Alternatively, everytime I tune into watch the game I hear the announcers gush about how great of a "defensive mastermind" Capers is.
The announcers are only human.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts