Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did not shut them down, but did a far more respectable job on defense than we did. Matty Ice, who reminded me of another down south QB, threw the game away with turnovers. The clutching of the injured shoulder produced flashbacks of another guy that would wince in pain for all to see right after he threw away a game.

2 tds by gore were done by the read option..Kap didnt keep it but gave to gore..

The DE for Atl was fooled just like Walden and Clay were..

1st time he was fooled, you figured their coach would tell them how to scheme it..But no matter what his coach said, he got fooled a second time.

So they didnt stop the issue of being fooled like us)

Niners are GOOD

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ravens vs 49ers....

Do you know, both teams defenses pitched 2nd half shutouts today?
At New England and at Altanta.
At 2 "great" offenses.

Emotional defenses.
Physical.
Hard hitting.
Good tackling.
Intimidating.
Bone-jarring.

Capers should go down on the field for the Super Bowl and bring his DL, LB, and DBs especially.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that TT, MM and Capers sit down with a bowl of popcorn and watch the NE-BALT game over and over again in which a soft Patriots' team got got manhandled by a very physical defense, and then take a look in the mirror.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A top 5 or even top 10 offense can get you to the playoffs but you also need a top-3 defense to win it all, most of the time anyway. We would not have won it all in 2010 or 1996 without a great defense. That said, it is not too easy to simply discard a D-coordinator that helped us win it all just 2 years ago.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I've chastised people many times for the "fire everybody" thinking when the Packers lose.
But clearly Thompson and McCarthy have to say, "we can't win the Super Bowl with this defense". This is the second season in a row this defense has let the Packers down in the playoffs.
Before anyone says injury as an excuse, all teams have injuries, especially late in the year.
Capers has put together a defense that has worked, at times. But the loss of Cullen Jenkins a couple of seasons ago started a downward trend. After he left they never had a pass rush that was comparable. Raji is good and Pickett can play, but gets worn down by larger o-lines. Because the opposite linebacker never performed to the same level, teams many times could take out Clay Matthews with double teams. Hawk has proven to be an adequate inside linebacker, but as was shown Saturday, can be overpowered by a larger man. The loss of Desmond Bishop hurt. Compare Hawk and the rest of the Packers linebackers to Patrick Willis. The secondary has an aging Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams has not played to his Super Bowl level, and some rookies, a couple show promise.
But I think the overall speed at linebacker isn't there.
But Colin K. and RGIII represent the new breed of NFL QB: (it's actually a throwback to the 1940's)...a QB that is at least a double threat: run or pass. The Packers defensive scheme has been proven to be wholly inadequate to handle the 49'ers. They lost to them twice this year. So until the Packers can face the reality that they will continue down this road with the same scheme and personnel, they will continue to lose to the 49'ers.
As in college, you need a wide-split defensive end to begin to contain a wide-running offense. A wide-split DE means a 4-3 defense. The first time around with the 3-4 defense in the 70's and 80's the demise of that scheme was that teams could exploit the edges of the defense. Teams went back to the 4-3. So lets face reality: it's time for a change. Remember the adage that doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the mark of insanity. It will take the Packers a year or two to adjust. Given the fairly large turnover in personnel expected this year, next year could be down year. But it will be worth it to build a defense that doesn't routinely give up record-setting amounts of yardage. If the Packers didn't have an offense that is as good as it is, this team would be 4-12.
Some old truths about football still hold true:
1)If they can't score, they can't beat you.
2)It all begins with the offensive line(look at the 49'ers offensive line.)
3)Fundamental blocking and tackling wins.
4)Running the ball successfully.
The 49'ers are ahead of the Packers and probably the rest of the NFC. The first step to remedy that is to find a new defensive coordinator with another approach and build the league's best defense. With a potential Hall of Fame QB at offense, good things will return.
Hopefully MM is not thinking- 1and done, 2and done, just give up on the 2013 season with 3and done, and the 4th try is a Super Bowl (Maybe)?

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its been two years of bad defense. Thats enough to warrant a replacement.
I think another dismal year would get Capers sacked. But you just watch: We will get almost half way through 2013 season with a mediocre to bad defense and there will be rumors of Capers getting sacked. Then he will turn things around, like he did in 2010. Some people (actually most of us) just need a fire under their butt to get things done.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I need a fire under me to get things done that I don't want to do. I feel like Capers should want to coach a good defense. Lol

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me Capers needs to be fired. He did more with a lot less 2 years ago, than this year. This year at times throughout the season, and against Frisco the defense was at best S***! Kapernick should not have been able to run roughshod on the Defense like he was. The team was under-prepared and that's coaching. Yes Green Bay wins of some of the other things I've read here happened, but you can IF in one hand, and you can take a big ****** dump in the other one, and you can tell me which hand gets filled first.

I will add something to what wxman2005 said in early September after the first game. San Francisco is for Aaron what Dallas was throughout Favre's career, and what the Metrodome was for the first 10 years of his career. It's a place that has a hex on Aaron of some kind. Whether it's the home town kid playing at home that's getting him, or if he's putting to much pressure on himself to shove it down Alex Smith's throat, or if it's a case of Aaron not doing well in a pressure situation period...who knows, I just know he's 0-3 (Including pre and post-season) at Candlestick, and he's had 3 of his lousiest games there.

Reaction score
Dom arrives in 09 - converts a lot of veterans to a 3-4/we acquire 3 rookies (Raji/Clay/Brad) - our defense is pretty good til Al & Kampman go down - Cards exploit our holes.

2010 - Another offseason to fully convert the vets. We get more depth at dline and in the secondary - nice combo of veterans and youngsters - injuries happen - Dom strings together a no.2 ranked defense.

2011 - ...I think we drafted an OLB ? Davon and Lawrence Guy didn't play. We let Cullen and a couple vets go - acquire no one to compliment Matthews - Collins and Tramon get injured - 1 pass rusher/along with bad coverage... 32nd ranked D, doesn't matter what the schemes were, we didn't have depth or the guys to get it done.

2012: We acquire a ton of rookies - develop 'em - injuries strike again, we get man handled by a team loaded with all pros and 1st round picks on their oline along with a good runningback and QB.

2013: - I say we have another Defense heavy Draft - Get Pickett's Replacement/An actual 3-4 DE/another OLB/etc. - We get some guys back (perry/worthy/bishop/dj) - if the defense doesn't get it done - can everybody.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its been two years of bad defense. Thats enough to warrant a replacement.

The defense did play better this year during the season but against largely inferior opponents. When we faced the big guys not so well. The playoffs were a repeat of last year.

btw, for those who think defense doesn't matter anymore tell me about the two teams in the Super Bowl. Play pretty good defense don't they?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
To me Capers needs to be fired. He did more with a lot less 2 years ago, than this year.
Wrong: Two years ago he had a playmaking, difference making Woodson, a fantastic Nick Collins at safety, a pass rushing complement to Matthews in Cullen Jenkins and Matthews. This year he had Matthews. He did more with more.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wrong: Two years ago he had a playmaking, difference making Woodson, a fantastic Nick Collins at safety, a pass rushing complement to Matthews in Cullen Jenkins and Matthews. This year he had Matthews. He did more with more.

Yup. But we have way more talent as far as personnel then most of the teams ranked ahead of us as far as defense. No way we should be as bad as we are. Even with no Collins or Jenkins we should finish top 10 year in year out. I can imagine what a **** Labeau, or Romeo Crennel, or Wade Phillips could do with this defense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup. But we have way more talent as far as personnel then most of the teams ranked ahead of us as far as defense. No way we should be as bad as we are. Even with no Collins or Jenkins we should finish top 10 year in year out. I can imagine what a **** Labeau, or Romeo Crennel, or Wade Phillips could do with this defense.

****'s def didnt make playoffs this year with all those players

Romeo's def was horrible this year

Wade's team was was sent home same round as us and how did that def do vs us?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yup. But we have way more talent as far as personnel then most of the teams ranked ahead of us as far as defense. No way we should be as bad as we are. Even with no Collins or Jenkins we should finish top 10 year in year out.
I look forward to your posting the results of your in depth analysis that led you to that conclusion. “Most” of the teams ranked ahead of the Packers means you must have analyzed the personnel of at least 6 of the 10 teams that finished ahead of the Packers in scoring D. Just for the heck of it, try comparing the pressures the Packers’ D got in 2010 vs. this season. And let us know which pass rusher opposite (or to compliment) Clay Capers had at his disposal he chose not to use.

BTW, I got a kick out of you mentioning Wade Phillips. He was the DC who wouldn’t change his one-deep scheme for an entire game against the Packers even though it’s obvious to many fans the Packers struggle against two deep schemes.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure that we have better talent on defense than teams ahead of us. I do think the talent we have could have and should have played better.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score

WRONG! 2 years ago, in the Superbowl year defensively he had EVERY starter miss at least one game with injury except for AJ Hawk who missed the Philly game because Capers didn't have him in the game plan. Woodson missed the superbowl, Matthews had hamstring issues, Jenkins broke his hand, I think Raji had an ankle. Barnett had his wrist, we were what 5 deep at one outside linebacker position? My post is correct and still stands. 2 years ago Capers did more with LESS!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
WRONG! 2 years ago, in the Superbowl year defensively he had EVERY starter miss at least one game with injury except for AJ Hawk who missed the Philly game because Capers didn't have him in the game plan. Woodson missed the superbowl, Matthews had hamstring issues, Jenkins broke his hand, I think Raji had an ankle. Barnett had his wrist, we were what 5 deep at one outside linebacker position? My post is correct and still stands. 2 years ago Capers did more with LESS!

No one has still replaced Jenkins or Collins..If we still had them our def would be a lot better...

Woodson missed the 2nd half of the SB, not entire SB

Jenkins played with the broken hand-- he had a club on, missed some games tho..

In GENERAL Capers had more to work with in terms of talent in 2010 then he did now..

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make the point of my original post in your final line longtimefan. THANK YOU for that. That line right there is why Capers has GOT to go

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You make the point of my original post in your final line longtimefan. THANK YOU for that. That line right there is why Capers has GOT to go

Less talent is your reason to fire Dom, but I think that's Ted's job

If a chef only has old eggs, not enough milk, and not enough flour can he still make the perfect cake? Nope

But it doesnt matter..Dom isnt going anywhere

Might as well get used to it

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Havent been here in a while but im going to just shed my thoughts on the game i feel i have to because it still frustrates me.. I believe the solution to that san fran game was obvious from the beginning.. ive coached before played semi pro ball so i know a bit about the game.. it just comes natural to me but i didnt think it took a rocket scienctist to figure it out.. rush 3 and have clay and charles spy him all game.. that whole blitzing 5 with clay and walden trying to blow up the edge wasn't working and that was apparent from their first drive..when they came out after half time and lined up a 5 man front, i called it then that the game was over.. i know jerron, ive balled with him a few times and we'd train occasionally, and i run into his father every saturday at my job.. his father told he said they never game planned for it the entire week and in half time had no adjustments ready..needless to say i was ****ing esstatic when he was drafted by us for not only the obvious but to get little info like this.. i knew it already but that opened my eyes even more..capers may in fact be the problem

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Havent been here in a while but im going to just shed my thoughts on the game i feel i have to because it still frustrates me.. I believe the solution to that san fran game was obvious from the beginning.. ive coached before played semi pro ball so i know a bit about the game.. it just comes natural to me but i didnt think it took a rocket scienctist to figure it out.. rush 3 and have clay and charles spy him all game.. that whole blitzing 5 with clay and walden trying to blow up the edge wasn't working and that was apparent from their first drive..when they came out after half time and lined up a 5 man front, i called it then that the game was over.. i know jerron, ive balled with him a few times and we'd train occasionally, and i run into his father every saturday at my job.. his father told he said they never game planned for it the entire week and in half time had no adjustments ready..needless to say i was ******* esstatic when he was drafted by us for not only the obvious but to get little info like this.. i knew it already but that opened my eyes even more..capers may in fact be the problem
Then Jerron's father is a moron and a clueless fan like most on here. Of course they game planned. I don't care if his father was "esstatic" or not. To suggest the Packers had no clue, made no adjustments and let the game come to them is stupid. Seriously stupid.
So you called the game after the 5 man rush after half? Maybe you should be coaching instead of "ballin'" in semi-pro.
I'm not jamming on you Spanish as much as all negative fans. I can't even come and read here anymore. People make me sick, there is no team spirit, it's all the wringing of the hands and how this is all over for the Packers. It's the most ridiculous bunch of crap I've read in years.
Seriously, the younger fans are the biggest bunch of sucks I've ever read. They seem like Lions fans. Bunch of cry babies for heaven's sake. They lost to the Conference champs, ask any other team in the NFC how their year was. Ask Atlanta how sucky it is to win the first playoff game in forever and fall to the 9ers.
Grow the hell up. Teams lose, the Packers are great and will contend next year. Capers is an excellent and capable coach and he's not going anywhere. No new DC is going to come in here and make a powerhouse D with all the rookies and new guys. Just stupid how you all fold on the coach. Give him this year and talk to me then!

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
No one has still replaced Jenkins or Collins..If we still had them our def would be a lot better...

Woodson missed the 2nd half of the SB, not entire SB

Jenkins played with the broken hand-- he had a club on, missed some games tho..

In GENERAL Capers had more to work with in terms of talent in 2010 then he did now..

I can respect and agree on this to a certain degree, but at the same time someone that some of us around here like to label as a "genius" and "cerebral" who loses two players should be able to coach and prepare his team to overcome.

And these players weren't lost recently, they were lost almost two years ago.

Now granted we've been plagued with injuries and that has to be addressed more than anything. But if after this year, there is still no improvement, a change needs to be made or at the very least explored. Because with how many holes we have on our team, we can't keep mortgaging our entire draft on defense every year until it gets figured out. Our backfield lacks talent and depth, our offensive line is bad, and we're probably going to want to look into another receiver when and if Jennings hits the bricks.

It's times like this where we need to get active in Free Agency.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
People make me sick, there is no team spirit, it's all the wringing of the hands and how this is all over for the Packers. It's the most ridiculous bunch of crap I've read in years.

You can have team spirit and still support your team without being a blind homer. Which is what you and a lot of others seem to be. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with that, but there is nothing wrong either with being passionate and critical when the team fails.

The oh well, we'll be back next year for sure, Capers is Einstein and we just had some back luck, may be an easy justification for you to make, but not for everyone.

People like you are like nationalistic flag worshipping Americans. Who think we can do no wrong, we're the best out there and if you disagree otherwise you're a terrorist or Un-American. And that's even more annoying than someone who isn't afraid to be realistic and critical while still remaining a supportive citizen of the country

Nobody is saying it's all over. That's far from the case, but if you can't come to terms with the fact that there are issues with our team, then I'm sorry but you need to have your head examined.

Grow the hell up. Teams lose, the Packers are great and will contend next year.

How can you say that? Nobody can stay at the top forever. Teams change every year, some get better, some get worse, some do neither. There is absolutely no way in hell that you can say we will contend or we WILL be here or there. That fact is what bothers a lot of people, the fact there is a chance that we may not be back in contention for a long period of time. While it's not realistic at all to expect to go all the way every year, it is bothersome to a lot of people get as close as we've gotten and to have blown it both times.

Everyone is frustrated about the way the season ended, but not everyone is as cavalier or happy go lucky about it as you.

Your banter is even more juvenile that the people you are berating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts