Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
● IMO Capers biggest mistake in the game was not going to zone coverage so the DBs and LBs in coverage would be facing the running QB instead of running away from him. That, and as I mentioned before, not having the OLBs play the QB on running plays and ignoring the RB. At the very least, Gore would have been easier to catch than Kapernick.

● I was addressing the idea of Clay going to DE in the 4-3. I think that's a bad idea. Changing him to a 4-3 LB would be better but IMO Clay was made to play WOLB in the 3-4.

● When the replays would display it, what I was seeing too often on offense was receivers not getting open. Also, I understand even when the Packers were down by 3 and 7 it felt like it was more than that, but I think McCarthy went away from the running game too much in the second half. Keeping drives alive and running the ball helps the D by keeping them on the sideline.

● No comments about Darren Perry possibly being Capers' replacement?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
● IMO Capers biggest mistake in the game was not going to zone coverage so the DBs and LBs in coverage would be facing the running QB instead of running away from him. That, and as I mentioned before, not having the OLBs play the QB on running plays and ignoring the RB. At the very least, Gore would have been easier to catch than Kapernick.

● I was addressing the idea of Clay going to DE in the 4-3. I think that's a bad idea. Changing him to a 4-3 LB would be better but IMO Clay was made to play WOLB in the 3-4.

● When the replays would display it, what I was seeing too often on offense was receivers not getting open. Also, I understand even when the Packers were down by 3 and 7 it felt like it was more than that, but I think McCarthy went away from the running game too much in the second half. Keeping drives alive and running the ball helps the D by keeping them on the sideline.

● No comments about Darren Perry possibly being Capers' replacement?
I agree with everything said, even though our CB don't exactly excell at Zone.

Also, For the record, We don't have to fire Capers. Various sources indicate his contract is up.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with everything said, even though our CB don't exactly excell at Zone.

Also, For the record, We don't have to fire Capers. Various sources indicate his contract is up.
Dude you just wrote the Football Information version of 'Stairway to Heaven'. :laugh:

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My only thing about Perry is I'm very apprehensive about hiring from within a failed system. That's how we ended up with Slowik. But I'm all ears as to specifics why he should be the guy to take our defense to championship level before our offense falls off.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By my count 21 teams run a 4-3 defense. I read one post, can't remember who, that said a 4-3 would be more effective against the read option. I know the Giants run a 4-3 and had trouble with RG III. I truly don't know which is the best. Any bigger brains know which would be best? :confused:

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By my count 21 teams run a 4-3 defense. I read one post, can't remember who, that said a 4-3 would be more effective against the read option. I know the Giants run a 4-3 and had trouble with RG III. I truly don't know which is the best. Any bigger brains know which would be best? :confused:

Seattle runs a 4-3 and they ate Kaepernick alive when they played at CenturyLink. They didn't do to shabby vs RG3 either. Granted he got hurt, but they were already getting their feet under them on that second drive in the red zone.

I didn't watch the Giants v Redskins games so I'm not really sure what the issue was there, but it could have just been their inconsistencies as a team. Or it could have been a SB hangover, or they didn't take RG3 seriously - could have been a number of things really.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle runs a 4-3 and they ate Kaepernick alive when they played at CenturyLink. They didn't do to shabby vs RG3 either. Granted he got hurt, but they were already getting their feet under them on that second drive in the red zone.

I didn't watch the Giants v Redskins games so I'm not really sure what the issue was there, but it could have just been their inconsistencies as a team. Or it could have been a SB hangover, or they didn't take RG3 seriously - could have been a number of things really.

They played them twice. Giants barely won the first and lost the second. RG III gave them fits both times. Like I said I don't know the answer. Maybe this question deserves a separate thread?

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
20 pages of fire Capers. The Guy takes us to a Superbowl win, what was it, a whole 2 years ago. Last year Def was 32nd in league he starts retooling and brings it up to the 11th in the league. While making this improvement his linebacking corp is gutted with injuries, he is starting a bunch of rookies, Wood goes out for half the season and only makes it back to the playoffs with no time to get back up to speed, House is playing injured, we are only one season removed from losing our version of paloamalo and I am sure I am missing some other things.

Capers is one of the greatest defensive minds to coach this game. I don't disagree that there was a major let down Saturday but there seems to be a lack of long term perspective. The Defense is on the way back to a top 10 if not a top 5. A little luck on the injury front, and some additions and to the D line and we are there.

Why would you expect a new D coordinator with a new scheme to install to show better results next year. In my very very humble opinion we are on the right track.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My problem with him is not the scheme. It's the "you prepare well enough and it doesn't matter if they know exactly what you're gonna do" and "we dictate our gameplan, they don't dictate our gameplan" mentalities. He just doesn adjust. It seems like the more an adjustment is needed, the harder he digs in. That just doesn't work anymore. The league today is ALL about how flexible you are, not about how stubborn you are. And THAT is what Capers is all about; trying to force the opposing O to adjust to him. That's Parcells, Ryan, Martz, Singletary, Schottenheimer, SHERMAN!

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
20 pages of fire Capers. The Guy takes us to a Superbowl win, what was it, a whole 2 years ago. Last year Def was 32nd in league he starts retooling and brings it up to the 11th in the league. While making this improvement his linebacking corp is gutted with injuries, he is starting a bunch of rookies, Wood goes out for half the season and only makes it back to the playoffs with no time to get back up to speed, House is playing injured, we are only one season removed from losing our version of paloamalo and I am sure I am missing some other things.

Capers is one of the greatest defensive minds to coach this game. I don't disagree that there was a major let down Saturday but there seems to be a lack of long term perspective. The Defense is on the way back to a top 10 if not a top 5. A little luck on the injury front, and some additions and to the D line and we are there.

Why would you expect a new D coordinator with a new scheme to install to show better results next year. In my very very humble opinion we are on the right track.

I think the issue is his inability to adapt as the game changes. Players have indicated that no adjustments were made at halftime Saturday night. Really???

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Whether or not you support Capers, I can't understand the argument that he deserves to stay because he improved on the 32nd ranked defense from last year, when HE was the one responsible for the 32nd ranked defense. It's not like he took over for a terrible coordinator, he WAS the guy who took the defense from top 5 to 32nd last year. It would be like the Packers going 2-14 next year and then 7-9 the following year and saying MM deserves to stay because he oversaw the improvement.

The defensive performances in the playoffs the last 4 years, 2010-11 season aside, have been beyond atrocious under Capers' watch. There's no injury excuse to fall back on for last year or the Arizona debacle.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It would be like the Packers going 2-14 next year and then 7-9 the following year and saying MM deserves to stay because he oversaw the improvement.

That's kind of an over-generalization. Too many factors. If we went 2-14 because Rodgers had a season-ending injury, I wouldn't be calling for MM to be fired at all.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's kind of an over-generalization. Too many factors. If we went 2-14 because Rodgers had a season-ending injury, I wouldn't be calling for MM to be fired at all.

Well, yeah. The point is that giving kudos for improvement doesn't really fly, IMO, when the one you're giving kudos to is the one responsible for the nosedive that necessitated the improvement in the first place.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop hit it on the head when he said it's up to the players to play. Doesn't matter what the scheme is. Our front 7 is the weak link of the defense.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop hit it on the head when he said it's up to the players to play. Doesn't matter what the scheme is. Our front 7 is the weak link of the defense.

This is under the watch of the DC. Too many players lack basic fundamentals, mental understanding and discipline. It is the 18th game of the season and there are blown assignments. I don't care what talent level the players are at physically, all 3 of those things are coachable and are not acceptable at the current level.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I fully expect Bishop to say that. He's not going to throw Capers under the bus (though Woodson somewhat did).

It does matter what the scheme is. It also matters if you're not adjusting to what the offense is doing. If it doesn't matter, there was no reason to get rid of Bob Sanders in the first place.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If "guts" can be displayed on a mostly anonymous forum, IMO realcaliforniacheese's post qualifies. To adambr2, you're right it was Capers' D that fell to 19th in scoring D last season. (Since they keep score using points, I prefer that metric to yards surrendered per game.) IMO Capers should get credit for good performance of the D and blame for poor perfromance so let's look at his record as Packers' DC. The year before Capers arrived in Green Bay the Packers were 22nd in the league surrendering 23.8 ppg. Here is how the Packers finished each regular season since Capers took over:

'09: 7th at 18.6 ppg
'10: 2nd at 15.0 ppg
'11: 19th at 22.4 ppg
'12: 11th at 21.0 ppg

I do agree with those who say Capers' lack of adjustments is very concerning. And frankly since every member of the team from the last guy on the active roster to Aaron Rodgers and from the assistant coach with the least responsibility to Mike McCarthy lives football 24/7 during the season, I've always wondered why, when they do make adjustments, they wait until halftime. They should be able to adjust series to series IMO. So I will not be upset if Capers isn't re-signed and/or decides to retire: some new blood and new ideas could reinvigorate the D. BTW, I mentioned Perry as my top choice among the current staff because I think it's more likely McCarthy will promote from within rather than bring in another DC. I would prefer he look at all available candidates if Capers is leaving but I don't think that's likely. And while I wouldn't be upset if Capers is replaced, that would certainly involve some risk. Obviously "change" does not automatically mean "improvement".

BTW, I think it would be a huge mistake to change the scheme to deal with read option plays as I expect that will not be a long lasting trend in the league. Someone on sports radio this morning echoed what I posted about NFL D's probably making the adjustment next season that on every read option play, the QB gets hit. Also the 3-4 is supposed to be a good scheme against the run - but I agree with those who say the players are more important than the scheme.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
BTW, I think it would be a huge mistake to change the scheme to deal with read option plays as I expect that will not be a long lasting trend in the league. Someone on sports radio this morning echoed what I posted about NFL D's probably making the adjustment next season that on every read option play, the QB gets hit. Also the 3-4 is supposed to be a good scheme against the run - but I agree with those who say the players are more important than the scheme.

Agree 100% with this. We have already seen RG3 go down with a major knee injury. Defenses will adjust, more of these option QBs will go out to injury and the read option in the NFL will have run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts