Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good call on Walden, but that is why Ted Thompson invested his 1st round pick in OLB Nick Perry. I believe he was prepared to select Bruce Irvin had Seattle not "reached" for Irvin earlier, surprising everyone. I like Perry.

Our ILB play sucks, but remember we were missing the best one Bishop, and his adequate backup DJ Smith. Still, you need better backups than Brad Jones because he's not instinctive at all, is really an edge pass rusher, who failed there too.
And Hawk? Well, I've tried to support him for a long time, because he's at least durable unlike the rest of the defense. And that is worth a lot.
But not enough for a guy picked #5 overall with Vernon Davis and Haloti Ngata available at that pick. Dang.

Capers, I agree, needs to be held accountable. Too many huge failures from him. He's wasted 3 MVP-like years off of the Rodgers dynasty possibility.
Is Capers too old?
No intensity from the cerebral book worm.
I'm sure I am in the minority here, but I'd rather have the bravado and intensity of Rob Ryan than Capers, and keep the 3-4.

Jennings is very good WR and is our best at the moment.

BJ Raji... any DL, did any of them even SMELL Kaepernick last night? Why can't we ever get sacks from the DL like the Texans and Niners do?
Were Bishop and Smith playing that well before their injuries?

You might be on to something with this Capers too old theory. He doesn't seem ready or prepared for this "new age" of running, dual threat, option style quarterbacking.

I would prefer not to have anyone with the last name of Ryan on our team.

And here's what I posted on another thread I'll copy over:

Oh, and finally when it comes to pressure up the middle. I saw Raji just standing there in the middle of the play on more than one occasion last night. Kaepernick is dropped back and Raji just stands not even attempting to rush after his initial move was blocked. I know it's tough for these big guys who play a lot of snaps. But when does it come to a point where we have to say "fu*k it" This guy is just lazy....?

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I'd like to trade Capers for whoever the Rams DC is because they slowed down Kaepernick and the 49ers offense TWICE this year, with less talent on defense.

I might be wrong but wasn't Jeff Fisher running the defense and calling their plays due to Gregg Williams being suspended?

Speaking of which...Gregg Williams will be needing a job ;)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I agree you can't just say "fire his sorry ***" without an alternative solution under the premise that it couldn't be any worse. The idea is to improve, not to just make an angry knee jerk reaction -- that's how Ed Donatell got replaced with Bob Slowik.

That said, I do agree with the crowd that believes that Capers doesn't seem to have the ability to adjust to a changing NFL. His defensive schemes have not caught up to evolving offenses, and I think his time has passed.

I wouldn't just want another 3-4 D-coordinator retread, but I'd be okay with Keith Butler if we could get him.

I wouldn't be opposed to Greene getting a shot, who might be able to bring some more modern ideas to the game. We do need more speed in the middle.

NC_Cheese_Fan_100

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's probably been said, but one of the adjustments Capers should have made was to contain Kaepernick even if that meant dialing back the feeble attempt to get pressure on him, which kept opening up lanes to run and throw.

The packers have to upgrade the defensive end positions. The 49ers ran at Mike Neal and CJ Wilson with way too much success. And neither Neal or Wilson were able to put any pressure on Kapernick, they were completely outmatched by the 49er's offensive line and not even double teamed generally. I thought Picket and Raji had fairly good games. I'm sure they were winded by the 3rd quarter. I thought Mike Daniels had a decent game too for a rookie, at least he was able to push the pocket back, something Neal and Wilson didn't seem to be able to do.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After last night my opinion on Capers has completely changed. Maybe I am just upset about the loss still...but Kaepernick should NOT have been able to run like he did.

I think Kevin Greene may be a good solution. He might be able to draw up some schemes that really confuse the offenses like SF, Seattle, Washington, etc.

Also, on a side note...what do you people think of Kaepernick? I mean..is it just me or does it seem like a cop-out to use plays that are clearly designed QB runs? I mean, it just looks like Kaepernick drops back, looks to see if anyone is IMMEDIATELY open, and if not he just runs.I know Rodgers also runs but as a last resort. Kaep just does it no matter what.

Call it a strength of theirs, and it is our D's responsibility to stop it but I still think it is a cop out. I am NOT a huge fan of Russell Wilson but he can play, and play well. He has his own running plays too, must most of the time he looks to pass first. I can respect that. Kaepernick? He's just gonna run and run and run. I hope his legs break.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After last night my opinion on Capers has completely changed. Maybe I am just upset about the loss still...but Kaepernick should NOT have been able to run like he did.

I think Kevin Greene may be a good solution. He might be able to draw up some schemes that really confuse the offenses like SF, Seattle, Washington, etc.

Also, on a side note...what do you people think of Kaepernick? I mean..is it just me or does it seem like a cop-out to use plays that are clearly designed QB runs? I mean, it just looks like Kaepernick drops back, looks to see if anyone is IMMEDIATELY open, and if not he just runs.I know Rodgers also runs but as a last resort. Kaep just does it no matter what.

Call it a strength of theirs, and it is our D's responsibility to stop it but I still think it is a cop out. I am NOT a huge fan of Russell Wilson but he can play, and play well. He has his own running plays too, must most of the time he looks to pass first. I can respect that. Kaepernick? He's just gonna run and run and run. I hope his legs break.

He's definitely good at it. I noticed on 3rd and longs he runs pretty much every time. Sad thing was no one did anything about it. He had a few good throws against us and looked good when they stomped the Bears. Those are the only two games I watched of him. I think Russell and Griffin can throw the ball a lot better than him so they can afford to look for more passes.

Reaction score
How about we trade Dom for the 49ers defensive coordinator ...
Then, after their D is ranked top 5 (again) and ours is "above average" - don't whine about wanting a new defensive coordinator ... players - not plays, any D with Hawk and Walden as fixtures is basically a one armed defense.
We get Bishop and Perry back - continue developing the young players on Defense - they continue to get more comfortable in the scheme - begin playing faster - they'll make Dom(or any D coordinator) look like a genius.

Bristo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about hiring Lovie Smith for DC? He built himself a really tough defence, he might be able to put something together with the parts we have here.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about hiring Lovie Smith for DC? He built himself a really tough defence, he might be able to put something together with the parts we have here.
He doesn't coach a 3-4 he coaches a cover 2 D. We don't have the players for that.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had hoped that Capers blew the "good for three years, then falls apart" trend a lot of people have pointed at him with past defenses by this point, but there are too many indicators that we're not the swarming, confusing, befuddling force we were on the way to the Super Bowl two seasons ago.

Last year we were a mess against the pass, and this season it seemed like we were soft against the run, which created extended drives where we couldn't get off the field consistently.

I don't know who's out there that's an upgrade over Dom. While he's one of the innovators of the 34 Zone Blitz scheme, I think **** Lebeau consistently gets better performance out of his team, and I don't know that the Steelers have defensive talent that's light years superior to what we currently have on the field.

Rob Ryan just got whacked in Dallas, but I don't see him as a step up over Dom. Lovie Smith's bread and butter is the Tampa 2, so I don't think he's remotely a good fit for the talent we have.

I will agree that our LB corps needs upgrading, as does our D line. I like the secondary talent we have overall, but we lack a dominant player at DE. No one expects to find a second JJ Watt, but for all the praise about Justin Smith with the 49ers, he far more fits the mold of the traditional 34 DE like Brett Keisel did in Pittsburgh in terms of stat production. I know you don't just draft guys based on physical attributes, but our DEs lack the length optimally effective 34 DE's have. We could use some serious upgrades there, or perhaps we transition to more of a Patriots look where we have 4 down linemen more often.

In any case, there are some coaching and scheme issues that continue to be exposed- people know what we're doing now, and they're exploiting our normal. We either innovate and adapt, or you go a different direction. I just know sticking with things as they are isn't going to work after getting smoked twice in the last two playoffs when it matters most...

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had hoped that Capers blew the "good for three years, then falls apart" trend a lot of people have pointed at him with past defenses by this point
I was looking at his resume. This is the 2nd longest run he has had with a team and i think 4 years is the most he has been anywhere as a HC or DC.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my problem with the "Who could expect Capers to win with guys like Moses, Walden, and Jones" argument?

Early in the season, Walden was having a career year. He was still seeing the field a lot more than Perry, despite his deficiencies in run defense.

A few weeks ago, Moses earned high praise, many wondered how he could have slipped through the cracks to us as a UDFA.

There's no doubt that Bishop to Brad Jones is a big downgrade at MLB, but it's not like, for the most part, that Brad Jones has been a complete albatross if you look at the entire body of work this year.

Then after last night, all of the sudden these guys are bums who couldn't be expected to be relied on at all defensively? Last night wasn't the first time any of them saw a running QB.

Fact is, in 2010 we relied on two undrafted rookies on defense for significant contributions -- Shields and Zombo, and we went on to win it all. If we hadn't -- if the defense had faltered in the playoffs the way they did yesterday, and last year, and 2009, would the excuse have been that of course we needed better players than counting on undrafted free agents as our nickel and OLB?

I am not saying that any of Walden, Jones, and Moses should be starting on a healthy team, but injuries happen, and the staff clearly felt and has felt they were good enough to execute the gameplan. At the very least, the defensive coaching staff severely overestimated what they had there.

There have been less talented defenses that have done much better jobs against the 49ers offense and Colin Kaepernick. Knowing that, it's pretty difficult not to hold the coaching staff responsible for the kind of performance we saw last night.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

No. He's a 4-3 guy. "...might be able to put something together..." isn't good enough. We don't want to completely rebuild the defenSe.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Stop with the LOVIE crap

Even if we had the players to run his style....Why would he go for a demotion

Think people!!

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Stop with the LOVIE crap

Think people!!

Same reason Dom Capers did. Same reason Ray "Mumbles" Rhodes did.

He'll make the circuit for HC jobs and if he doesn't get an offer he wants, he'll start the DC circuit.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same reason Dom Capers did. Same reason Ray "Mumbles" Rhodes did.

He'll make the circuit for HC jobs and if he doesn't get an offer he wants, he'll start the DC circuit.
.....and we want him to succeed. if he were the DC and if he succeeds he will be gone in 1 year to another HC job. Its just not going to work.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop with the LOVIE crap

Think people!!

Because if no one will hire him to be a head coach, that's his next best job. Happens every year.

With that said, I agree that he's not the right fit here.

12theTruth

Its sad how many apologists reside in the local Packer media.

"Capers deserves criticism, but he shouldn't lose his job, as some fans have suggested." -- K. Copeland

Capers should get the benefit of the doubt because the Packers... won a Super Bowl and 2 NFC North titles??? Ha!

So I guess we should give Capers a free pass so we can burned next season against mauling offensive lines and mobile QB's?

I THINK NOT!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Its sad how many apologists reside in the local Packer media.

"Capers deserves criticism, but he shouldn't lose his job, as some fans have suggested." -- K. Copeland

Capers should get the benefit of the doubt because the Packers... won a Super Bowl and 2 NFC North titles??? Ha!

So I guess we should give Capers a free pass so we can burned next season against mauling offensive lines and mobile QB's?

I THINK NOT!
Bishop says its not Capers.

12theTruth

Bishop says its not Capers.

What does Bishop think it is then? Sounds like loyalty not unlike we had heard from countless Bears players speaking up for recently fired Lovie Smith who incidentally had a 10-6 record.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
What does Bishop think it is then? Sounds like loyalty not unlike we had heard from countless Bears players speaking up for recently fired Lovie Smith who incidentally had a 10-6 record.
Bish seemed to put it on the players. Said we needed a new mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts