Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they were to fire Capers I would like to see them hire someone who puts in a more physical play style. So sick of watching our defense get ***** slapped by sub par competition.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Walden/Perry is a wash. Perry is definitely more talented, but at this point in his career, production-wise, he's no better than Walden.

What Perry brought to the table was good run defense, which is what Walden did a bad job of. It might have been enough.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am baffled that some people think the defensive problems are from a lack of talent defensively.

He has four recent pro-bowl players, a few above average players, and a couple fringe players.

They spent this entire last draft on D, Hayward has turned into a heck of a gem, and Shields has emerged into an upper-tier DB.

I don't know what to tell you. They can't give you an all-pro at every position. Every team has role players. Play the injury angle if you'd like, but every anticipated opening day starter besides Bishop was out there tonight.

Yes, there is a difference between scheme and execution. I don't blame Shawn Slocum for Ross booting the ball in the 2nd quarter leading to a 49er TD. But when you've been completely embarrassed in your last 3 playoff losses defensively, I can't see how that isn't at least partially attributed to a combination of very poor game planning and preparation.

Translation is lost...

I never once said they need all pro..Not sure why this is tossed around..I never once said that all possible true starters and everything would be cured..

I only wanted to know what would HAVE BEEN if all starters never missed a down..

Every projected starter was there tonight? Wilson, Jones, Walden, Moses, were projected starters? I find that hard to believe

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Translation is lost...

I never once said they need all pro..Not sure why this is tossed around..I never once said that all possible true starters and everything would be cured..

I only wanted to know what would HAVE BEEN if all starters never missed a down..

Every projected starter was there tonight? Wilson, Jones, Walden, Moses, were projected starters? I find that hard to believe

Wilson actually was, iirc. He's actually a pretty good run stuffing 3-4 end, so yeah.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Woodson said after the game that the defense made no halftime adjustments.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson said after the game that the defense made no halftime adjustments.

Well then, I almost have to blame some of the veteran players as well for not saying SOMETHING. They had to recognize what they were doing wasn't working. I know you're supposed to trust the coaches but jesus christ when my mom knows they need to do something different it must be pretty obvious.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well then, I almost have to blame some of the veteran players as well for not saying SOMETHING.

I'm sure he did everything he could within his role as a player. But he's not a coach. It's even harder when the other team's WRs are grabbing you by the jersey while you're trying to make a damn tackle. The downfield holding on their part was beyond anything I'd ever seen.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
What it means: The Packers' season ended exactly as it began: With a mismatch against the San Francisco 49ers. The Packers sent 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick into the NFL record books with a porous defensive showing that should rekindle an offseason discussion about their approach on that side of the ball.

What I didn't like: The Packers had no answer for Kaepernick. Worse, it wasn't clear what -- if any -- plan they had for stopping him on the read-option play. Kaepernick didn't just have an eye-popping game. He set an NFL record for rushing yards by a quarterback in a game (183), averaging 13.1 yards per carry and scoring touchdowns on dashes of 56 and 20 yards. The Packers' defense didn't so much as touch him on either run. Linebacker Clay Matthews served as a spy on Kaepernick on a couple plays, but for the most part the Packers relied on a base look that has been scorched on outside runs this season. Watching Matthews and fellow outside linebacker Erik Walden fooled on the option was disconcerting to say the least.

What could happen: It is more than fair to scrutinize the job performance of defensive coordinator Dom Capers, and not just because the 49ers put up a stunning 579 yards of offense. The Packers didn't look sharp against the read option last weekend against the Minnesota Vikings, and it's clear they didn't clean up the confusion thereafter in practice. When you put Kaepernick's performance together with the 409 yards that Vikings tailback Adrian Petersongained in two regular season games, you have an issue that cropped up all season, was never fully corrected and ultimately ended the Packers' season. Were the Packers just mismatched physically in those situations? Or should Capers have found a solution? That's a question coach Mike McCarthy must address in the coming weeks.
we were handed a country butt wuppin the 9er's cuould only be stoppedby the 9er's MM &Capers should had watched a little NE film....

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Then I want to know if the players felt the right schemes were called but they just failed to execute them

Judging by his tone, it sounded like he was saying they should have made some changes, so I think he's passively putting a lot of blame on Capers.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he did everything he could within his role as a player. But he's not a coach. It's even harder when the other team's WRs are grabbing you by the jersey while you're trying to make a damn tackle. The downfield holding on their part was beyond anything I'd ever seen.

I saw that as well. At that point the no call wasn't really that surprising.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stubborn arrogance. That is why Kap ran for damn near 200. He will never rush for more yards in an NFL game than he did tonight.

The stubbornness of all the coaches really grinds my gears to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if nothing is done about this.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Was Ryan Grant hurt? the way the game was going putting him in may or may not have givin GB some light, and as for the DB's THANKS,.........THANKS for making a top notch jerk like Randy Moss still look relevant against us..2013 sounds like (1) No more hype (2) better tackling (3)sound running game(4) better protection (5) discipline (6) sound COACHING (7) well we have done 1 and done , now 2 and done I would like skip 3 and done and win a SB.......

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What Perry brought to the table was good run defense, which is what Walden did a bad job of. It might have been enough.

We wont know..Perry would have had lot of time to get better...So maybe Perry would have really came on..But couldnt have done worse than Walden

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Ryan Grant hurt? the way the game was going putting him in may or may not have givin GB some light, and as for the DB's THANKS,.........THANKS for making a top notch jerk like Randy Moss still look relevant against us..2013 sounds like (1) No more hype (2) better tackling (3)sound running game(4) better protection (5) discipline (6) sound COACHING (7) well we have done 1 and done , now 2 and done I would like skip 3 and done and win a SB.......

I agree with pretty much everything except Grant. That guy gets hit and goes down like a hooker. Most of Harris' yards were after initial contact and they even stopped using him.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Just a question here but given we have used a 3-4 defence here for what, four, five years ??? wont the players we have need time to adjust to a 4-3 if Capers goes ?? Something needs to change obviously but wont we have the same problems the other way ? Just asking is all.

I

Why do we have to say our defence MADE Kaepernick look good tonight ?? The guy was every bit as good as our guy tonight, and Aaron is a pro-bowler. Credit where credit is due guys, Kaepernick served us our butts on a plate to us tonight. Game over.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a question here but given we have used a 3-4 defence here for what, four, five years ??? wont the players we have need time to adjust to a 4-3 if Capers goes ?? Something needs to change obviously but wont we have the same problems the other way ? Just asking is all.

Not only adjust..some players would have to be replaced some how due to they wouldn't fit the 4-3 scheme. That's why if they replace Capers it should be with someone who runs the 3-4 so the defense can transition without major problems. Otherwise Rodgers' prime years would be wasted rebuilding a defense again.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
1st of all Welcome, just visited England and maybe you can send us another kicker,and the 4-3 gives the D-line more pressure up front,to pass rush, and run stop,it will leave one less defender for the pass D but it will force QB's like a Kapernick from free zones up the middle, and chase a QB to the outside of a comfort zone because of more pressure up front SF used that quite effectively during the season and tonight.....

I

1st of all Welcome, just visited England and maybe you can send us another kicker,and the 4-3 gives the D-line more pressure up front,to pass rush, and run stop,it will leave one less defender for the pass D but it will force QB's like a Kapernick from free zones up the middle, and chase a QB to the outside of a comfort zone because of more pressure up front SF used that quite effectively during the season and tonight.....
:tup:

I

racking my brain here trying to think of a kicker to send....lol David Beckham might be looking for a job ?

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stubborn arrogance. That is why Kap ran for damn near 200. He will never rush for more yards in an NFL game than he did tonight.
Well, that's probably too easy of a prediction, given that no quarterback in NFL history ever ran for this many yards in a game before! That's how bad this defense was. It managed to set a NFL record in this game. Not just playoff record, an all-time record.

I can't believe there were no halftime adjustments. I can't believe it. Why are MM and Capers so stubborn?

By the way, this is the 3rd time in 4 years the defense has been utterly lit up in a playoff game. There's a pattern here.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to sum up why I think Dom Capers should be fired:

2 years straight and 3 of the last 4 years this defense has been utterly embarrassed in a playoff game which has robbed the Packers of any realistic chance of winning. There is one and only one year that this defense has put together a run under Capers. That 'defensive capital' has been used up. There is none left.

If MM stubbornly remains committed to Capers I will question his qualifications as a HC as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts