Finley update

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/9963/finleys-meeting-with-packers-a-formality

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Tight end Jermichael Finley is scheduled to meet with the Green Bay Packers' team doctors on Wednesday, but it is not an indication that he is on the verge receiving medical clearance or signing a new contract. According to a source familiar with the situation, Finley had previous plans to travel to Green Bay with his family, and while in town will check in with Dr. Pat McKenzie and the team's medical staff because he has not seen them recently. "It's a formality, no testing," the source said. "Nothing more, nothing less."

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope there will be good news after the tests and Packers will bring him back.
I don't understand why people continuously wish more concussions on Finley. FFS he was almost paralyzed last year! I really hope he retires. His health is more important than football.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree, i'd be happiest to see him retire. even if the fusion does allow him to play without risk of reinjury, we'll see him in the league for a handlful of years more, at most. I'm worried about his mobility and pain ten, twenty, thirty years down the road. I'm friends with several former NFL players who are disabled because of injury and repeated attempts to keep playing. They're in their 30's and 40's and move around like they're 80. I do not want to see Finley crippled with arhtritis because of continued to NFL wear-and-tear on his body.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why people continuously wish more concussions on Finley. FFS he was almost paralyzed last year! I really hope he retires. His health is more important than football.
Just because they want him to play, me included, does not mean they wish concussions on him!

Every player is at risk on every play. Just because we want Rodgers to play doesn't mean we want him to get a concussion either.

I have no problem with giving people the right to choose for themselves. Now if its an idiot who wants to jump off a bridge with a pillow for protection, yeah, put a helmet on that guy an lock him up. But if the docs say he can play without too significant chance at reinjury, treat him like a man and let him make his own decisions.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because they want him to play, me included, does not mean they wish concussions on him!

Every player is at risk on every play. Just because we want Rodgers to play doesn't mean we want him to get a concussion either.

I have no problem with giving people the right to choose for themselves. Now if its an idiot who wants to jump off a bridge with a pillow for protection, yeah, put a helmet on that guy an lock him up. But if the docs say he can play without too significant chance at reinjury, treat him like a man and let him make his own decisions.
I'm not blind to football being an sport with a high probability of injury. You're missing the distinction here though. I haven't seen Rodgers lose motor control and equilibrium at the severe scale that Finley has immediately following being concussed. I think it is an incredibly selfish position to want to see him play again.

I want to see him okay again and still able to walk 10-15 years down the road. And no, adults don't always make the right decisions in a situation when faced with having to walk away from a multi million dollar "career". Heck just look at Nick Collins for a case in point. No one is going to touch him because the risk of further severe injury is too great regardless of him being cleared for play or not, but he still wants to play.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not blind to football being an sport with a high probability of injury. You're missing the distinction here though. I haven't seen Rodgers lose motor control and equilibrium at the severe scale that Finley has immediately following being concussed. I think it is an incredibly selfish position to want to see him play again.

I want to see him okay again and still able to walk 10-15 years down the road. And no, adults don't always make the right decisions in a situation when faced with having to walk away from a multi million dollar "career". Heck just look at Nick Barnett for a case in point. No one is going to touch him because the risk of further severe injury is too great regardless of him being cleared for play or not, but he still wants to play.

The concussion isn´t the injury teams are concerned about, it´s the spinal fusion surgery. I assume you´re talking about Nick Collins, who had the same surgery as Finley 3 1/2 years ago and hasn´t been cleared so far. I don´t expect any team to clear Finley either, no matter what he wants to make us think on Twitter.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I want to see him okay again and still able to walk 10-15 years down the road. And no, adults don't always make the right decisions in a situation when faced with having to walk away from a multi million dollar "career". Heck just look at Nick Barnett for a case in point. No one is going to touch him because the risk of further severe injury is too great regardless of him being cleared for play or not, but he still wants to play.
I want him to be healthy as well.

I want you to be healthy as well. Therefore, I don't think you should be allowed to "Ride Dirtbikes/ski/mountain bike/hang glide/mountain climb/etc" anymore as well. Insert whatever you enjoy in there because people die from those activities all the time. Why should I be making the decision about something you like based upon an assumed risk? Why can't Jermichael Finley be allowed to weigh his own heart and desires and decide what he wants to do? What right do you have to tell him he can't do something he enjoys?

Recall that I started this saying that he gets medical clearance from the doctors and he doesn't have a significant increase in re-injury.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want him to be healthy as well.

I want you to be healthy as well. Therefore, I don't think you should be allowed to "Ride Dirtbikes/ski/mountain bike/hang glide/mountain climb/etc" anymore as well. Insert whatever you enjoy in there because people die from those activities all the time. Why should I be making the decision about something you like based upon an assumed risk? Why can't Jermichael Finley be allowed to weigh his own heart and desires and decide what he wants to do? What right do you have to tell him he can't do something he enjoys?

Recall that I started this saying that he gets medical clearance from the doctors and he doesn't have a significant increase in re-injury.
Okay, I'm not making the decision for him I'm just expressing an opinion; let's get that straight right off the bat. And no, that analogy doesn't work. Me, as a 100% healthy non-injured person, has a lower probability to incur an injury than does someone that is not 100% healthy. Finley falls into the later category and actually his concussion history and the severity of them is more my concern than the spinal fusion that so many professional athletes, including the acrobats of the "pro" wrestling scene, have repeatedly come back from to little to no ill effects. Everything in life is a risk analysis and some people have a greater probability to compound previous injuries be continuing to do the same activities that caused the previous ones. Please realize that I'm talking about someone like TT and the other GM's deciding not to sign him if he is cleared for play of something like that. Not this ridiculous notion you're trying to smear my POV with, having some random stranger with nothing vested in, and zero understanding of, the situation to make the call on something such as this.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not making the decision for him I'm just expressing an opinion; let's get that straight right off the bat. And no, that analogy doesn't work. Me, as a 100% healthy non-injured person, has a lower probability to incur an injury than does someone that is not 100% healthy. Finley falls into the later category and actually his concussion history and the severity of them is more my concern than the spinal fusion that so many professional athletes, including the acrobats of the "pro" wrestling scene, have repeatedly come back from to little to no ill effects. Everything in life is a risk analysis and some people have a greater probability to compound previous injuries be continuing to do the same activities that caused the previous ones. Please realize that I'm talking about someone like TT and the other GM's deciding not to sign him if he is cleared for play of something like that. Not this ridiculous notion you're trying to smear my POV with, having some random stranger with nothing vested in, and zero understanding of, the situation to make the call on something such as this.
Oh, but you have a probability of injury. Riding a motorcycle even with a helmet elevates your risk whether you are injured or not. It matters not what the levels of risk are - it is apparently not the individuals right to choose his level of risk, but opinions of others that is important. And my opinion is that you should not be allowed to ride your motorcycle because I want you to be healthy in 20 years.

You are the one who thinks I am selfish because I want Finley hurt. That is a straw man if I ever saw one.

At issue, to me, is personal freedom and responsibility. I am not sure why you feel that someone should not have the freedom to decide for themselves what is an acceptable risk. I would feel awful if Finley were to become paralyzed from a football injury. But I respect him enough to allow him to make the choice he feels he needs to. Again, I stated that he checks out medically and he is not an elevated risk factor but there is always a risk. Even for every GB Packer who has not previously been injured - its the nature of the game.

And that makes the analogy perfectly fine.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, but you have a probability of injury. Riding a motorcycle even with a helmet elevates your risk whether you are injured or not. It matters not what the levels of risk are - it is apparently not the individuals right to choose his level of risk, but opinions of others that is important. And my opinion is that you should not be allowed to ride your motorcycle because I want you to be healthy in 20 years.

You are the one who thinks I am selfish because I want Finley hurt. That is a straw man if I ever saw one.

At issue, to me, is personal freedom and responsibility. I am not sure why you feel that someone should not have the freedom to decide for themselves what is an acceptable risk. I would feel awful if Finley were to become paralyzed from a football injury. But I respect him enough to allow him to make the choice he feels he needs to. Again, I stated that he checks out medically and he is not an elevated risk factor but there is always a risk. Even for every GB Packer who has not previously been injured - its the nature of the game.

And that makes the analogy perfectly fine.
Amish, stop being stupid. The relation to the heightened injury probability and your personal healthfulness is in addition to the general riskiness of the activity, not disregarding it. Likewise I never straw manned you. All I did was say "this" is what I think of your opinion. I didn't take your position and juxtapose it against some ridiculous hypotheticals and half-baked logical reasoning like you are with my POV, there is a HUGE difference between the two instances. All I said was that I think the "please play again Finley" crowd is being selfish by wanting him on the field again so that they can indulge in the satisfaction of seeing him play. He has not been cleared by NFL doctors as of yet. That's it. I'm not weaving some crazy web, I'm stating an opinion. As for the wanting him concussed part, I didn't mean directly, but it is an parallel thought to wanting him to play because it is going to happen and he's already had some severe ones, they compound and never fully go away. The more you have the more likely you are to have more at an exponentially greater severity.

Sorry you don't recognize the dissimilarity. For example I could have taken your personal freedom context and taken it to an extreme such as saying: "What if I'd decided to jump out of a plane without a parachute when I was in the Army? I weighed the risks and I think I can survive. Sure I may break a leg or die, but that could happen with a chute too so **** it. No one in my command should step in and intervene because I'm an adult and can make my own dang decisions if I please. See, that's just ridiculous and not anything close to what you're talking about, likewise with how you're interpreting what I'm saying.

Also you sort of contradict yourself:
Where do we draw the line? Why do you think we think we have a right to draw that line when you're arguing so vehemently against any sort of intervention?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry you don't recognize the dissimilarity. For example I could have taken your personal freedom context and taken it to an extreme such as saying: "What if I'd decided to jump out of a plane without a parachute when I was in the Army? I weighed the risks and I think I can survive. Sure I may break a leg or die, but that could happen with a chute too so **** it. No one in my command should step in and intervene because I'm an adult and can make my own dang decisions if I please. See, that's just ridiculous and not anything close to what you're talking about, likewise with how you're interpreting what I'm saying.

Also you sort of contradict yourself:

Where do we draw the line? Why do you think we think we have a right to draw that line when you're arguing so vehemently against any sort of intervention?
Nope. You don't get it. You want to jump out a plane without a chute you are a dumba$$. Happy landings!

There is no contradiction. An idiot is a person with 80% mental capacity and not able to comprehend the meaning of his decisions. If a functioning intelligent adult wants to make lifestyle and activity decisions who the hell do you think you are to tell him he can't do something because you are worried he may get hurt? Honestly, are you his mom?

PS: These to paragraphs are not a contradiction. I assume from your diction you are a functioning intelligent person. If you want advice I would tell you not to jump out of an airplane without a chute. But if you are determined to do it - you have that right to do it.

Where does it end? At what point can you dictate someone's life because of your concerns about their well-being? Should homosexuality be outlawed because of the increased risk of aids? How about about motorcycles? Far more dangerous than cars. Should they be banned?

Look, I didn't mean to take this so far. I am done. I respect your opinion and I probably reacted because I took offense to your claim I wanted Finley to get a concussion. You didn't mean it in the way I took it - so I will just move on.

Damn, when does the season start?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

HE wants to play again, so as long as he's medically cleared, I don't follow your logic.

And he's never been medically cleared either.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. You don't get it. You want to jump out a plane without a chute you are a dumba$$. Happy landings!

There is no contradiction. An idiot is a person with 80% mental capacity and not able to comprehend the meaning of his decisions. If a functioning intelligent adult wants to make lifestyle and activity decisions who the hell do you think you are to tell him he can't do something because you are worried he may get hurt? Honestly, are you his mom?

PS: These to paragraphs are not a contradiction. I assume from your diction you are a functioning intelligent person. If you want advice I would tell you not to jump out of an airplane without a chute. But if you are determined to do it - you have that right to do it.

Where does it end? At what point can you dictate someone's life because of your concerns about their well-being? Should homosexuality be outlawed because of the increased risk of aids? How about about motorcycles? Far more dangerous than cars. Should they be banned?

Look, I didn't mean to take this so far. I am done. I respect your opinion and I probably reacted because I took offense to your claim I wanted Finley to get a concussion. You didn't mean it in the way I took it - so I will just move on.

Damn, when does the season start?

98 days and 22 hours till the regular season kickoff. xD

I have only ever stated what I wish to be the outcome of this situation and the reasons for that position, I don't think I'm anyone to be dictating what should and shouldn't be. But that doesn't mean that there are people without the capacity to exercise some sort of intervention if the situation calls for it. It's cool man, I understand where you were coming from; sorry bout that.

Last edited:

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HE wants to play again, so as long as he's medically cleared, I don't follow your logic.

And he's never been medically cleared either.

They both want(ed) to play and have yet to be medically cleared to play at this point. What point are you trying to make? :confused:

The point I was making with Collins was that he got an independent doctor to say he could play then tried to get back on a team with that. It didn't work because other people, NFL GM's/ Owners, realized he wasn't making a good call with respect to his future.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They both want(ed) to play and have yet to be medically cleared to play at this point. What point are you trying to make? :confused:

The point I was making with Barnett was that he got an independent doctor to say he could play then tried to get back on a team with that. It didn't work because other people, NFL GM's/ Owners, realized he wasn't making a good call with respect to his future.
My point is if an NFL team doctor clears him to play, then what business is it to anyone else if he decides to do so or not?:rolleyes:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley knows the risk trust me..if he was told hey hang it up or get a wheelchair he would retire. Obviously someone is still telling him he an still play otherwise he wouldn't keep this up. If he gets cleared bring him back. He knows the risk.

D

Deleted member 6794

The point I was making with Barnett was that he got an independent doctor to say he could play then tried to get back on a team with that. It didn't work because other people, NFL GM's/ Owners, realized he wasn't making a good call with respect to his future.

Nick Collins!!!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Finley should take his $10 million tax free in insurance and get on with his life. Eliminating football would protect him from that risk of re-injury; but life without football is not risk-free for him, or for anyone. For instance, the risk for injury- including head and neck injury- from auto accidents is greater than that for football: http://www.carinsurancecalculatoronline.com/raising-concussion-awareness/

Few people would advise him to stop getting in a car for the rest of his life.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I don`t believe Nessie mean`t it that way bud. I think the feeling is it would be fantastic to see him be able to return to health and pull on his jersey and helmet for us, the reality is its a shame that he`s finished. I can`t believe ANYBODY wants to see him paralyzed.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously someone is still telling him he an still play otherwise he wouldn't keep this up.
That could be his agent, who we know is also an idiot.

Almost as interesting as Finley is Jonathan Franklin's situation. There hasn't been much reported about his season-ending neck injury. Hopefully that means it's not as serious but we'll find out soon.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don`t believe Nessie mean`t it that way bud. I think the feeling is it would be fantastic to see him be able to return to health and pull on his jersey and helmet for us, the reality is its a shame that he`s finished. I can`t believe ANYBODY wants to see him paralyzed.
OK **** the whole want him to get injured part was hyperbole, I've explained that already. Can we stop fixating on that? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Blake Baratz, Finley´s agent, has told Pro Football Talk that Dr. Maroon (Jermichael´s neurosurgeon) has given him full medical clearence.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts