Finley update

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been over this already but Finley is not getting tagged. Even if the franchise tag is $6.5M and he gets tagged as a TE that means nothing because of the 120% rule, meaning that if 120% of last year's salary is higher we have to pay him that instead. That would be around $10M. There is a 0% chance of Finley getting a franchise tag.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been over this already but Finley is not getting tagged. Even if the franchise tag is $6.5M and he gets tagged as a TE that means nothing because of the 120% rule, meaning that if 120% of last year's salary is higher we have to pay him that instead. That would be around $10M. There is a 0% chance of Finley getting a franchise tag.
I was not aware of the 120% rule, so that rules that out.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is correct.

This seems to only be an issue when it comes to the whole WR or TE debate. Possibly with 4-3 DE vs 3-4 OLB. I can't really think of many other scenarios where what position a player is tagged at becomes an issue

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he has a TE as his BPA then he absolutely should take one. Softens the blow of losing a couple receiving threats

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ebron has a chance of being there at No. 21. There's a couple defensive guys I like more, but if he is there and we take him, I'm not complaining. He could be something really special.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
he still would get a 10 mill pay day if he cant play again...I think he had a disability policy for 10 mill

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed we can talk Gonzalez out of retirement for at least a yr. if not Ebron if Pryor isn't there and TT doesn't sign a safety.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed we can talk Gonzalez out of retirement for at least a yr. if not Ebron if Pryor isn't there and TT doesn't sign a safety.
If he signs I would expect it to be a couple weeks into training camp as he wants to skip as much of it as possible.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be fine by me. I think older guys should always have that option. Especially first ballet HOF guys.

Mixed feelings on it personally. I get it. For someone like Favre in his later years the younger guys benefit more from the reps. Then again with the amount they get paid I expect them to show up to work

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mixed feelings on it personally. I get it. For someone like Favre in his later years the younger guys benefit more from the reps. Then again with the amount they get paid I expect them to show up to work

True. I would for that very reason but not I'm that position.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF he's cleared to pay, it all comes down to what it would cost. I think the Pack should make every effort to resign Finley. He's improved from his inconsistent ways and was proving to be a key cog in this offense before his injury. And it'd be foolish to let a talent like JMike walk away. TE's that are as versatile as JMike - think about how he lines up nearly everywhere in the formation - are hard to come by. And his presence on the field absolutely forces teams to account for him. And remember, he's only 26 years old still! I'd hate to lose him because TE's like him make a huge difference for offenses.

I realize our cap situation. But, I really hope the Pack can somehow fit him in, even if it's only short-term.

The latest news makes me very doubtful about the Pack re-signing him, and if the Seahags do sign him away from us they're taking a huge risk. Word is that he failed the physical in Seattle.

Sadly, it may be time to move on from JMike. He's a talent and will be missed, but it's deja-vu all over again a la Nick Collins.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

If he signs I would expect it to be a couple weeks into training camp as he wants to skip as much of it as possible.

That would be fine by me.

I don't think that would be good for the chemistry within the locker room. If the best player in the league shows up for OTAs you better do the same as well. If you don't want to, no thanks.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that would be good for the chemistry within the locker room. If the best player in the league shows up for OTAs you better do the same as well. If you don't want to, no thanks.[/quot

Farse did it for yrs. am I ok with it? Not for everyone but vets? May make some exceptions

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Has there even been an unsubstantiated rumor the Packers are talking to Gonzalez?

Players should show up for TC. The Packers are good at monitoring the reps of older players and you can’t help build team chemistry if you aren’t in the locker room and on the field.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually prefer the vets that show up to training camp in great shape, bust their rears and push the younger guys.

I'm not sure what's to be gained from the ones that want to just show up on Sundays and play.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wondering if maybe the Packers plan to hold some wiggle room in cap space with the thought that they'd have the option of re-signing Finley if/when he gets cleared to play. Not so much that they'd keep enough cap space specifically for this reason, but rather that this would be an option. Personally I'm ready for him to move on; he drives me nuts. This is just a thought that occurred to me.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wondering if maybe the Packers plan to hold some wiggle room in cap space with the thought that they'd have the option of re-signing Finley if/when he gets cleared to play. Not so much that they'd keep enough cap space specifically for this reason, but rather that this would be an option. Personally I'm ready for him to move on; he drives me nuts. This is just a thought that occurred to me.
Me too. I've seen and heard enough. Wish him well in a different locale.

Members online

Latest posts