Finley update

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
and that's the rub. we have free agents to re-sign and the franchise tag don't come cheap.

Yep, but what's more realistic? Sign Finley to short term deal and if everyone stays somewhat healthy have the best offense in NFL and contend for Super Bowl? or not resign him and hope TT can hit every draft pick out of the park and have a top 5 defense while not losing any offensive production? I think that puts it in perspective.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
And let's remember one more thing. McCarthy thought this would be his best offense ever in 2013 before the injuries. Now with Sherrod and Bulaga coming back and a year under Lacy's belt I really hope they keep it together with Finley and give it another shot.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it's going to come down to being realistic about money. Do we pay our offensive free agents and hope the offensive juggernaut carries us? Or do we pay our core defensive free agents, knowing how bad the D was this year and hoping we don't take a step back next year?

We have LOTS of FAs -- it's "pick your poison", we won't be able to retain all of them.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't say he was Jimmie Graham but his numbers were heading in that direction and I do think he is better after the catch then Graham. So let Finley go?Let James Jones go? Let Kuhn go? Hmmmm, looks like our offense is taking steps "Backwards", all so we can throw everything on this "3-4" defense that breaks everyone's heart it seems every year. Were not the Seattle Seahawks or the Niners with a 750k dollar qb and can build a 40 million dollar D-line. Never gonna happen. Not with Rodger or Matthews contracts. We're gonna have to score points and IMO that's keeping at least Finley.

You have to realize you can't keep everyone under the current CBA. If you like it or not Finley won't play for the green and gold next season. The Packers have "only" $28 million in cap space for next season and Nelson's and Cobb's contracts expire after next season, so TT will have to invest a huge amount of money re-signing them.

Right now the defense needs major upgrades and I'm fine with letting go Jones and Kuhn (if he asks for way more than the vets minimum) as well.

Draft a WR and a TE and keep developing Boykin and Bostick. The offense will be fine with Rodgers at QB.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Under the CBA, when a player is franchise tagged, he has to be payed either the average of the top 5 paid players at his position, or 120% of his previous year salary, whichever is greater. In Finley's case, that would be $10M.

Finley will not be tagged.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It is at least a good sign IMO. Working out to bulk up to 260 LBS and 10% body fat is a good sign that he can "bring it" in the weight room.....just a positive outlook is all.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is at least a good sign IMO. Working out to bulk up to 260 LBS and 10% body fat is a good sign that he can "bring it" in the weight room.....just a positive outlook is all.

If he is healthy and our medical staff gives him the green light, I would be 100% ok with bringing him back. I have always been a huge Finley supporter and want nothing more then for him to contribute to this team. It's hard for me to watch someone with his physical ability struggle like he has. I really thought that he was going to be something special after the 2nd half of the 2009 season but he just hasn't been able to put it all together. He's still young and determined to be great, and I would be all for giving him that chance IF he's healthy.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw the title to the thread and initially thought some legendary poster was coming back to the forum. Never heard that nickname used for Finley.

It’s unclear if Finley’s decision to bulk up is related to his neck injury. He had fusion surgery on Nov. 14 and missed the rest of the season. He’s scheduled to be a free agent next month, but his agent, Blake Baratz, is expected to meet with the Packers late this week or early next week at the combine in Indianapolis.
While Baratz said he expects Finley’s surgeon, Dr. Joseph Maroon, to clear him soon, it remains unclear whether the Packers will do the same.

Not sure why the agent is meeting with the Packers at the combine. It seems like the logical next step is to have Jermichael checked out by the Packers medical staff. The Packers aren't going to start negotiating without knowing his status.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will he be physically able to play? Hurdle one. I just have a gut feeling he will be. Will we be able to pay what he wants? This is where I have doubts.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will he be physically able to play? Hurdle one. I just have a gut feeling he will be. Will we be able to pay what he wants? This is where I have doubts.

Him being physically able to play and the Packers medical staff clearing him are 2 VERY different things. He can be as ready as he wants but I have serious serious doubts that he will ever be cleared by anyone in the Packers organization

D

Deleted member 6794

Him being physically able to play and the Packers medical staff clearing him are 2 VERY different things. He can be as ready as he wants but I have serious serious doubts that he will ever be cleared by anyone in the Packers organization

I have serious doubts he will be cleared by anyone in the entire league.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have serious doubts he will be cleared by anyone in the entire league.

That's true too. Didn't Collins say that the Packers doctors were the only ones to not clear him? If that's the case, why hasn't he gotten a call from any of the other 31 teams? I understand the Packers stance on this and I respect them for it. They are willing to sacrafice losing a potentially great player for his own well being and that's comendable. It's just crazy that in TT's time here this is the 4th (possible 5th) time this has happened. Terrance Murphy, Collins, Richardson, Finley, and didn't Jeremy Thompsons career get cut short because of a neck injury?

D

Deleted member 6794

That's true too. Didn't Collins say that the Packers doctors were the only ones to not clear him? If that's the case, why hasn't he gotten a call from any of the other 31 teams? I understand the Packers stance on this and I respect them for it. They are willing to sacrafice losing a potentially great player for his own well being and that's comendable.

Don´t fool yourself, they´re not doing that because they care about the player, but because of the fear of a lawsuit.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don´t fool yourself, they´re not doing that because they care about the player, but because of the fear of a lawsuit.

No you're probably right but there has to be some thought into having a paralyzed player wearing your uniform on the field because you decided to clear him to play

D

Deleted member 6794

No you're probably right but there has to be some thought into having a paralyzed player wearing your uniform on the field because you decided to clear him to play

Of course they don´t want that to happen to any player. That´s exactly why I don´t think Finley will be cleared by a team.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I doubt bulking up and being in great shape is going to affect the Packers doctors evaluations. If it would, they could have told Collins to get in great shape and bulk up.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope he comes back. Constant teasing of a very special and dominating player is frustrating. Would love to see him one full injury free season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packer insider on WSSP this morning stated that he isnt sure Finley comes back to the Packers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts