Finley should stay...and Packers should pay him his money!

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am literally laughing at all of the Packer fans that want to cut Jermichael Finley and "save" money. This is just another cheap move by the Packers FO who do not want to pay Finley is money. Why should Finley have to take a pay cut to stay on the team? He is definitely one of the few elite TE's left in the NFL and I think it would be foolish for him to leave. Thompson is driving this organization down the to the ground...I mean how do you expect to obtain great results when you invest in such cheap players.

Investing into cheap unknown players = cheap results
Investing into very well known NFL players who are best in the business = very good results, SB wins

This is a joke...

Lol, now we have useless Crabtree to replace Finley...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am literally laughing at all of the Packer fans that want to cut Jermichael Finley and "save" money. This is just another cheap move by the Packers FO who do not want to pay Finley is money. Why should Finley have to take a pay cut to stay on the team? He is definitely one of the few elite TE's left in the NFL and I think it would be foolish for him to leave. Thompson is driving this organization down the to the ground...I mean how do you expect to obtain great results when you invest in such cheap players.

Investing into very well known NFL players who are best in the business = very good results, SB wins

This is a joke...

I'm assuming that this entire post was joking? Hopefully?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because if you're not....Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez, Aaron Hernandez, Jason Witten, Owen Daniels...there's a few just off the top of my head that are better than Finley. He is not "one of the few elite TE's left in the NFL".

What was Finley up to when we got that Super Bowl win a couple years ago, btw?
"Also, Investing into very well known NFL players who are best in the business = very good results, SB wins "

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is a joke...

So, you are apparently not aware of this, but Packer Fans do not constitute the Front Office (FO). Although the Fans 'own' the Packers through 'worthless' stock - they are not in any way empowered to make personnel decisions.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The poster also made this statement. Which doesn't seem to lineup with this thread.

Uh...does Rodgers even deserve a new deal? If they do give him a new deal, he shouldn't make that much more. I don't think you should sign Rodgers to a new deal. I think it's apparent that he is getting older and the Pack should invest more into their draft picks and save money.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a top 10 TE who is getting drafted around top 5 in fantasy drafts. That must mean he's pretty good. Everybody likes to rag on Finley, but who is better? Maybe 5 guys in the whole league?

Personally, if I was building a team the only guys I would take over him would be: Gronk, Graham, Hernandez, Rudolph and maybe Davis if you factor in age.

I get it, he showed way to much talent and ability early and now that he hasn't lived up to it fans under-rate him even more. He's not that bad though guys. Not even that much overpaid.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is a joke...

I agree with your basic premise; I just wouldn't apply it to Finley. Yes, it does seem that the Packers have been cheap at times, preferring cheap second-rate players/projects/diamonds in the rough to proven stars. I'm sure others will point out that we have a wonderful long term winning record that way. I would come back that it could have been even better, but whatever.

As for Finley, I agree with the majority that he has not been elite. In addition to the guys mentioned above, almost every team has a big SURE-HANDED TE - which arguably, Finley is not. Yeah, he is a matchup problem, he can go deep, etc., but we just haven't seen him use his speed and size for very many big plays.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cutting Finley would be foolish. If TT decideds not to tag Jennings and we lose finley the offense would be average at best. Especially with no legit threat at RB.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cutting Finley would be foolish. If TT decideds not to tag Jennings and we lose finley the offense would be average at best. Especially with no legit threat at RB.

The offense will never be "avg at best" with Rodgers in his prime.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with your basic premise; I just wouldn't apply it to Finley. Yes, it does seem that the Packers have been cheap at times, preferring cheap second-rate players/projects/diamonds in the rough to proven stars. I'm sure others will point out that we have a wonderful long term winning record that way. I would come back that it could have been even better, but whatever.

As for Finley, I agree with the majority that he has not been elite. In addition to the guys mentioned above, almost every team has a big SURE-HANDED TE - which arguably, Finley is not. Yeah, he is a matchup problem, he can go deep, etc., but we just haven't seen him use his speed and size for very many big plays.

According to NBC Sports, Jimmy Graham had 13 drops. Finley had 7. And by way of a team comparison, Cobb had 9 and Nelson had 6.

On a per target basis:

Graham 9.6% on 135 targets
Finley 8.0% on 88 targets
Cobb: 8.7% on 104 targets
Nelson: 8.2% on 73 targets

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, if you're going to have a one-dimensional TE, then his one-dimensional ability needs to come in blocking. Otherwise, he's just another WR.

Packers aren't the only team with this problem. Titans have the same exact kind of TE (Jared Cook). For the most part, same exact problems.

Goodbye Finley.

Reaction score
Honestly, if you're going to have a one-dimensional TE, then his one-dimensional ability needs to come in blocking. Otherwise, he's just another WR.

Packers aren't the only team with this problem. Titans have the same exact kind of TE (Jared Cook). For the most part, same exact problems.

Goodbye Finley.
We already have 2 excellent blocking TE's... Why not have a threat that the defense needs to prepare for?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense will never be "avg at best" with Rodgers in his prime.

That's what i said and?? Jordy Nelson all of a sudden has hamstring issues and don't count on James Jones to score double digit TD's every season. Prime or no prime even the elite quarterbacks NEED weapons.. so yes. AVERAGE at best.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what i said and?? Jordy Nelson all of a sudden has hamstring issues and don't count on James Jones to score double digit TD's every season. Prime or no prime even the elite quarterbacks NEED weapons.. so yes. AVERAGE at best.

Jones is a guy that couldn't get a contract offer recently. He isn't a world killer.

Elite QBs need weapons? Sure it helps but Brady won 3 SBs without an elite WR.

Rodgers is too good and the position is too important in this league for the offense to be "avg"

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We already have 2 excellent blocking TE's... Why not have a threat that the defense needs to prepare for?

They have D.J. Williams. Besides, Finley isn't much of a threat. Two touchdowns + zero blocking + tons of baggage doesn't = $8.25 million TE.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I am literally laughing at all of the Packer fans that want to cut Jermichael Finley and "save" money. ...
I'd suggest redoing his contract, 4 years $30 (numbers in millions). $8 signing bonus (this years salary) and $1 salary year one. 2 years salary about $2 each with about a $2 and $4 roster bonus. Year four voidable based on performance about $6 roster bonus and $5 salary. Cap hit this year drops to $3, next year $5 and $9 year three [estimated]. He'll probably get more but dropping his cap number for a few years to buy more development time by guaranteeing this years salary should help.

Reaction score
They have D.J. Williams. Besides, Finley isn't much of a threat. Two touchdowns + zero blocking + tons of baggage doesn't = $8.25 million TE.
and zero blocking?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
He chip blocked someone to the ground.. that's at least 2 more blocks than claimed

Members online

Latest posts