Finally some improvement in our problem areas

gbforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the things that made last night's game great to watch (besides the fact that Favre and the vikes got served) is the fact that a lot of the problems that had us frustrated so far this season seemed to be non-factors or even strenghs at times.

1. penalties: The packers were only called for 2 penalties for 20 yards during the game, one of which was the questionable late hit call on Nick Collins.

2. coaching and challenges: Remember a few weeks ago when many were calling MM a moron and wanted to take away his red flag? This clearly was not the cases as MM decisively out-coached Chilly (yes i know half of us on this forum could out coach chilly, but still). Both of MM's challenges took away Minn TDs including the very bold challenge of the Shancoe TD. Chilly failed to callenge a Packers TD that likely would have been overturned and that could very well have been the difference.

3. Special teams: apart from one long run back by Harvin the special teams played pretty well, HarVin was stopped behind the 20 on another return and didn't get past the 30 on any other KR. and of course no ST penalties:kawaii:

4.Injuries: you never would have been able to tell the Packers were missing that many starters by watching this game, with the whole team playing good and one of the back-ups making a big play (Bishop pick 6)

5. Pass protection: 0 sacks on AR. Allen and the vikes d-line was completely shut down by our "swiss cheese" o-line. They completely gave up on the pass rush and tried to tip passes.

6. close games: The D finally came up with that clutch stop to win a 4-point game

This game could very well be our turning point due to the improvements made in our problem areas. If the Pack can build off of these improvements, the sky's the limit.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree with you about our special teams. I think MM has lost so much confidence in our special teams that he keeps doing crazy things on 4th and some 3rd downs. I am not a fan of fake punts and squib kicks, those are signs that you dont trust your special teams to get the job done.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with TheGiftedApe on this. I also think our defense has played pretty well all season so far. Our offense can't sustain drives or score points late to put games out of reach when given the opportunity. We have a banged up defense and many of our defensive players, especially the lineman, are playing very nearly every defensive snap. That stuff adds up fast and I'm sure they are gassed before the 4th quarter even starts. Yet they go balls to the wall every snap until the very end. I think a time consuming drive or a touchdown scoring drive late in the 4th would take a lot of pressure off of them and allow them to get some more rest so they could be fresher when they had to take the field again. Better yet, a time consuming drive that ends in 6 would be preferred late in the 4th for our offense. Aside from the final possession with 20 seconds left in the game, Green Bay got the ball with 9:18 left in the fourth quarter. They punted with just over 6 minutes left in the game. If the Packers were able to take 5 or 6 minutes off the clock instead of 3, or better yet, if they took the ball down the field and scored a touchdown even if it only took 3 minutes, the entire game would be changed.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our special teams is still a huge worry of mine. The next 3 games are going to be tough for us in that department

Members online

Latest posts