Final 53 predictions

H

HardRightEdge

I understand this, HRE. The cap savings breakdown was in response to DH's talk of cutting Bush from a money angle, but thanks for outlining the big picture.

As TT has done pretty much every year the team will stay young. A more senior veteran is almost never replaced with an older, more expensive player... so most discussions regarding salary cap go into the "savings" category. To summarize, DH's comments about cutting Bush (cap savings of $1.7Mil) would have him replaced on ST (and the roster) by a younger, cheaper player ($420K-$645K??)... resulting in a cap savings of $1+Mil. My stance was that it's worth the $1+Mil to keep Bush for the coach's peace of mind and versatility.

I agree with your general point. But I don't believe MM keeps Bush around for his game play...I think it's about helping to maintain a constructive locker room and to illustrate to young players the value of special teams. Let's face it...most of these guys don't like doing it and would like to think it's a medicine required to reach the greater goal.

H

HardRightEdge

I've seen every game in the last 10+ years except for 3 or 4 and I've never seen him disappear for multiple games at a time. He is widely considered one of the best gunners in the game and he has experience in Capers' defense. He's also not nearly as bad as a DB as some make him out to be. If you recall, he played a lot of nickle and dime during our last SB run.
I believe it was the first 5 or 6 games of 2012, though it might have been 2011, but I distinctly remember him not being a factor at all as a gunner. I remember this because I commented on it on this board (or the old GBPG board if it was 2011) and the following week he surprisingly woke up.

If he happens to be one of the best gunners in the league, that might be because he's one of the few who's making a career out of it. This is a spot typically assigned to speedy reserves who either move up or move out over the first few years of a career. For example, Lee's a case of a guy who moved out; House looks like a guy who'll move up.

Bush is lauded for work ethic and treating the special teams job professionally, which is why he's been a captain. I believe he's valued as much for what he represents as for what he actually does. "Representation" can be a highly fungible commodity in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
My 53 Man Roster Prediction:
Offense (23):
QB (2): Rodgers, Tolzien
OL (8): Bakhtiari, Lang, Linsley, Sitton, Bulaga, Sherrod, Taylor, Tretter
WR (5): Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Janis
TE (4): Rodgers, Bostick, Quarless, Taylor
RB (4): Lacy, Kuhn, Starks, Harris

Defense (27):
DL (6): Daniels, Guion, D. Jones, Boyd, Pennel, Robinson
LB (10): Matthews, Hawk, B. Jones, Peppers, Perry, Neal, Bradford, Lattimore, Barrington, Mulumba
DB (11): Shields, Williams, Hayward, Burnett, Hyde, House, Bush, Rolle, HHCD, Richardson, Banjo

Special Teams (3):
LS: Goode
K: Crosby
P: Masthay

I really didn't want to keep Robinson, but I thought another DL was necessary. I really think we need to bring a guy in. I was considering going down to 5 DL's, but that is one of those positions where the team really needs 6 guys for a rotation IMO, especially when Guion is a starter and a rookie as a backup. There needs to be more of a rotation. Datone Jones won't be sitting this year like he was last year. I also find Boyd to be very average.

I left Tretter on the team. It was said he was to be out for "multiple weeks". He'll have already been out for 2 weeks, so even if he's out for 6 weeks he is only missing 4 games. On top of that, the Packers tend to only dress 7 OL's anyways. They can afford to let him sit on the inactive list until he gets healthy. Make no mistake, though, Tretter lost his job. All Linsley has to do is go in and perform well and Tretter will be stuck in the backup position.

One of my final cuts was Stoneburner. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the roster, but I feel like he's safe on the PS and I don't see the team being very interested in him. They simply don't give him many opportunities. 5 WR's was pretty easy for me. White and Gillett are unimpressive to me and don't seem to be growing. Dorsey has been too inconsistent at both WR and ST's. Put a WR or two on the PS and let Abby come back next year to be that 6th WR next year.

I am not a 3 QB person, and the Packers haven't been historically, either. It's hard to give 3 QB's reps in practice so I don't really see the point. Heck, it's hard to give 2 QB's reps. That's why I kept 11 DB's. I think Bush should get cut, but for now I'm sticking with the Packers won't feel that way.

Overall, I hope TT pulls off something big at the NT position. Maybe trade for a guy like Phil Taylor. The Browns may be interested in dumping him as he's in the last year of his contract and the Browns are rebuilding. They could use draft picks (although they did pick up a 1st and 4th). Otherwise, maybe there are other NT's around the NFL. We would also benefit from bringing in a NT in regards to leverage against Raji, and if we end up signing Raji I wouldn't complain about having 2 good NT's to rotate and use in goal line situations.

I think your right on point. That's the best 53 guys IMO. White should clear waivers I would think and hopefully make it to practice squad. It's a gamble I think you gotta take. The only one on there I don't like that got there by default IMO is Robinson as well. They could also keep Gray there instead. Thornton is a loss but has he even really played that well? Not IMO. I think were a D-lineman short from having a "Sweet" 53.

Edit: I take that back. I took another look at it and see you left Elliot off? How can you have Bradford and Mulamba on there over Elliot? IMO Bradford is not gonna make it.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I think your right on point. That's the best 53 guys. White should clear waivers I would think and hopefully make it to practice squad. It's a gamble I think you gotta take. The only one on there I don't like that got there by default IMO is Robinson as well. They could also keep Gray there instead. Thornton is a loss but has he even really played that well? Not IMO. I think were a D-lineman short from having a "Sweet" 53.
I highly doubt Myles White would make it to the PS. Slot receivers are concussions-in-waiting; teams that rely on one would value him as a backup. He's also one those guys who's been getting incrementally better as time goes on...his short and intermediate route running has been quite good this preseason and he does not show fear over the middle (which is something I wish I could say about Quarless). And then there's his long speed and the vertical jump. Silly as it may sound, his hops were evident in that Lambeau leap. Call me crazy, but I also have a particular fondness for players who look like they're having fun out there. Love of the game is a well to be drawn from in often surprising ways.

I'm not saying he's some kind of budding superstar, but he looks on track to be a solid player on plane with Boykin in terms of potential productivity, though he's a different kind of player.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I highly doubt Myles White would make to the PS. Slot receivers are concussions-in-waiting; teams that rely on one would value him as a backup. He's also one those guys who's been getting incrementally better as time goes on...his short and intermediate route running has been quite good this preseason and he does not show fear over the middle (which is something I wish I could say about Quarless). And then there's his long speed. Call me crazy, but I also have a particular fondness for players who look like they're having fun out there. Love of the game is a well to be drawn from in often surprising ways.

I'm not saying he's some kind of budding superstar, but he looks on track to be a solid player on plane with Boykin in terms of potential productivity, though he's a different kind of player.

I like White as well. I would hate to lose him to another team. Unfortunately for him Janis appears to have more "long speed" and can return kicks and punts. I see Banjo, Bush as better special teams players the other way. Rolle looks like a nice young corner that you don't want to lose. There is simply no room for him IMO.

Unless you get rid of Mulumba or go even thinner on D-line I don't see how you can fit him in. And this is all assuming they cut there 4th round pick Bradford.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I like White as well. I would hate to lose him to another team. Unfortunately for him Janis appears to have more "long speed" and can return kicks and punts. I see Banjo, Bush as better special teams players the other way. Rolle looks like a nice young corner that you don't want to lose. There is simply no room for him IMO.

Unless you get rid of Mulumba or go even thinner on D-line I don't see how you can fit him in.
I think it does come down to Rolle or White for the last spot. I think Rolle has a better chance of squeeking by to PS; a lot of teams will let him pass as a rookie from Catawba who was not their radar out of college. The PS signings happen in what...24 hours?...with not even an interview. White is a second year guy with some regular season NFL tape

Rolle looks good against second and third stringers, but he's not had the splash plays that draw attention like Janis and Elliott. And there a ton of teams that would not even look at him based on his physical dimensions. We, however, might be in a unique positions to see a somewhat slower but acceptably fast Sam Shields, albeit without Shields' insane hops, but with better tackling skills.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has a knack for finding good/very good WR's (late in the draft or UDFA), whereas NFL-caliber CB's are tougher to find (even in top 4 rounds). If having to choose between White @ WR OR Rolle @ CB I'd go with the CB. Just my $.02.

And answering Pike's question below ~ teams are being very tight-lipped about recent injuries and/or personnel issues, GB included. :mad:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder ifThompson has received any trade offers for our backup QB's? Anybody hear any news on other teams injuries from last nights games?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think it does come down to Rolle or White for the last spot. I think Rolle has a better chance of squeeking by to PS; a lot of teams will let him pass as a rookie from Catawba who was not their radar out of college. The PS signings happen in what...24 hours?...with not even an interview. White a second year guy with some regular season NFL tape. Rolle looks good against second and third stringers, but he's not had the splash plays that draw attention like Janis and Elliott. And there a ton of teams that would not even look at him based on his physical dimensions.

He had a nice "strip sack" against the Titans. That pick he made last night looked pretty impressive. He has consistently showed real good coverage skills and is very smooth. I think he could also play the slot.

I wouldn't count on him making it. I can think of one team that is looking for a nickle slot corner really bad. Like really bad where I would cringe if he ended up there.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
TT has a knack for finding good/very good WR's (late in the draft or UDFA), whereas NFL-caliber CB's are tougher to find (even in top 4 rounds). If having to choose between White @ WR OR Rolle @ CB I'd go with the CB. Just my $.02.

Young good corners are a "premium"

H

HardRightEdge

Young, fast receivers who can run routes are at a premium. There's a least one $10 million/year receiver who's disappointed by not perfecting his craft.
He had a nice "strip sack" against the Titans. That pick he made last night looked pretty impressive. He has consistently showed real good coverage skills and is very smooth. I think he could also play the slot.

I wouldn't count on him making it. I can think of one team that is looking for a nickle slot corner really bad. Like really bad where I would cringe if he ended up there.
I'm not sure penalty plays make the tape.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Young, fast receivers who can run routes are at a premium. There's a least one $10 million/year receiver who's disappointed by not perfecting his craft.

I'm not sure penalty plays make the tape.

Well Mulumba hit the QB in the head after the ball was thrown which did not affect the flow of the play. You can still evaluate the coverage and ball skills. House and Williams might not be with the team next year. I think it's a no-brainer to keep Rolle.

We got Adams, Janis and Abby coming back next year.

H

HardRightEdge

It's a copycat league. Everybody wants tall corners now. There are lot of teams who screen out guys who are 6'0", 190 lbs. on dimensions alone.

There are a lot of teams who will look skeptically at a guy out of Catawba who's only tape is against small college players and NFL second and third stringers.

There are a lot of teams who did not have him anywhere on their board and who's research might be sketchy.

Thompson probably has gentlemen's agreements with some GMs that if you don't touch mine I won't touch yours, further narrowing the field.

And I don't think we can say he's a "young good corner". We can say he's looked good and has that potential.

It boils down to whether a team, without benefit of an interview, perhaps sketchy research and working in a tight signing window, open a spot on their 53 man roster for a small college player who had some good preseason tape against backups (or worse) while not caring if they p*ss of Thompson.

Teams have a 24 hour window to make decisions on PS, with a smorgasbord of options before them...hundreds of names suddenly available, some predictable, some not, with a natural disposition toward signing their own cuts who they now know thoroughly.

So the question is not whether Rolle has value in his potential; the question is whether some team will want him for their 53 man roster.

H

HardRightEdge

Well Mulumba hit the QB in the head after the ball was thrown which did not affect the flow of the play. You can still evaluate the coverage and ball skills. House and Williams might not be with the team next year. I think it's a no-brainer to keep Rolle.

That's not what I meant. Will it be on the tape that other teams look at in determining if they want to put him on their 53 man roster? That's the issue, right? Which PS eligible cuts are most likely to get stolen.

H

HardRightEdge

Frankly, the first 2 have to demonstrate they will be polished route runners just as the $10 million man never seemed to get the hang of it. "Abby" showed up without an NFL body and we don't know if he don't know what, if anything, he can do.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That's not what I meant. Will it be on the tape that other teams look at in determining if they want to put him on their 53 man roster?

I don't know. It's a tough decision either way. Like I have posted I have always been for Myles White even early on when a lot of posters were writing him off. I really think he hurt his chances not being able to help in return game.

When your that low on the depth chart it seems you gotta contribute on special teams. Maybe it comes down to who they think will contribute more on special teams. Rolle or White?

H

HardRightEdge

:confused: I wouldn't say there are lots of teams who won't even look at a 6'0" CB. That's pretty decent size for a CB. It's not like he's 5'10".
As one example, Ron Wolf had a 6' cutoff, and that was before the mad dash for big men. 6'0" coupled with the 190 lbs. are surely a put off to some GMs. There are surely GMs who don't mind a 6 footer, but would not want them at both covers corner spots, further limiting demand.

I did not say all teams screen them out; some do and it's a growing number. I said it's one factor in limiting the number of teams who might be interested in Rolle.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't know. It's a tough decision either way. Like I have posted I have always been for Myles White even early on when a lot of posters were writing him off. I really think he hurt his chances not being able to help in return game.

When your that low on the depth chart it seems you gotta contribute on special teams. Maybe it comes down to who they think will contribute more on special teams. Rolle or White?
Or maybe it comes down to who can play the slot without fear if Cobb gets injured again?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
As one example, Ron Wolf had a 6' cutoff, and that was before the mad dash for big men. 6'0" coupled with the 190 lbs. are surely a put off to some GMs. There are surely GMs who don't mind a 6 footer, but would not want them at both covers corner spots, further limiting demand.

I did not say all teams screen them out; some do and it's a growing number. I said it's one factor in limiting the number of teams who might be interested in Rolle.

Not in the slot. Rolle appears to have the skill set to develop into a "nickle slot" db IMO.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Or maybe it comes down to who can play the slot without fear if Cobb gets injured again?

Well I guess that's the question. Do you tie up a roster spot for a guy to sit on the bench in case Cobb gets hurt? They don't just put small fast receivers in the slot either.

Hey, maybe they get rid of Mulumba and keep both of them. Well see.

H

HardRightEdge

I'd like to see some stats on how many cut rookies get signed to a different team's opening day 53 man roster? I bet it's darn few.

I'm assuming Rolle would pick our PS over a comparable PS offer from another team.

H

HardRightEdge

Well I guess that's the question. Do you tie up a roster spot for a guy to sit on the bench in case Cobb gets hurt? They don't just put small fast receivers in the slot either.

Hey, maybe they get rid of Mulumba and keep both of them. Well see.
Do you keep Rolle to sit 3 deep on the depth chart?

The need for White to play is more likely than it is for Rolle this season.

By the way, White has been playing in kick coverage as an inside speed man. I would expect that to continue.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well this is what I like as it points to how talented of a secondary we have and overall roster. I can only imagine how difficult this would be if some guys didn't get injured/traded.

Members online

Latest posts