Fergueson's time in GB over, says Coach McCarthy

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Either way, his $1.8 million base salary will be wiped off the books, so the Packers will actually gain salary cap room once he is off the roster."

Now that's good stuff.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd gladly take a 7th rounder for Fergy at this point, but I'll be surprised if anyone offers anything for him. I'd much rather absorb that remaining 700,000 on this years cap while we still have plenty of room instead of pushing it to next season. But if we have to cut him, so be it.

It's to bad though. It seemed like he had a lot of potential early in his career. It just never worked out with all those injuries he had.

Wish him luck where ever he winds up.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Either way, his $1.8 million base salary will be wiped off the books, so the Packers will actually gain salary cap room once he is off the roster."

Now that's good stuff.

Agreed Tro, but what scares me is your avatar. It' like John Waye Gacyesque.

Every year I pulled for Ferguson to put it together, but it is time to let the younger guys play.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Interesting note:

The Packers will gain about 1 million in cap space by trading Ferggy.

Source. (6th paragraph from the bottom)

Most excellent! So we'll have 14.3 million to NOT spend instead of 13.3!!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fergie blew it. With Favre having to build chemistry with the new receivers, Fergie and DD had the most experience with him. When Favre chooses not to throw to a 4 yr teammate it's time to go. Great message to the up and coming guys, no one is safe. Play or pay.
I'd love for Fergie to be traded for someones TE. What team has alot of depth at TE but needs WR's? The Houston Packers are probably full!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just call him SPLENDA.... cause all he can do now is sweeten a deal for a RB, or TE.

Both San Diego and KC need WR's... and both have RBs that have been rumor hotbeds the past 4 months.

I know im in the minority, but id rather go after a TE than another RB.

I just think that adding a very good TE would bolster our recieving corp and add to the run game if he is any good at blocking. so instead of going for one need why not help out both.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F**k Ferguson. :cheerleader: :rotflmao:

What do you have against the guy? Why so hostile? I think he always played hard, and he was absolutely fearless before he got clotheslined by Donovan Darius. His fearlessness is one reason he had so many injury problems. There are better things to cheer than a hardworking player getting booted off his team.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Now that's good stuff.

It excites me.

Bring on The Dark Knight!!!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
tromadz said:

Now that's good stuff.

It excites me.

I always thought Ledger was kind of a Steisand, but he looks like he might rock the **** in this one. big shoes to fill though.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well it is official... we got nothing in return for Ferg. Released :(

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=8/17/2007&id=27938

Green Bay - Unable to work out a trade, the Green Bay Packers released wide receiver Robert Ferguson Friday morning.

Ferguson's agent, Brian Overstreet, said that he was informed that the Packers had cut Ferguson after conducting talks with at least three teams. The Packers have not announced the move, but on Thursday evening coach Mike McCarthy said that releasing Ferguson was an option if they couldn't trade him.

Overstreet said he was hopeful Ferguson would find a team where he would fit in and have a shot at winning a regular-season roster spot. Because he is a vested veteran, Ferguson was not subject to waivers and automatically becomes a free agent.

Were he subject to waivers, the team that claimed him and was granted his rights would have been responsible for his $1.8 million base salary. Now he'll be able to pick a spot where he feels most comfortable.

"I guess as far as making the best of a bad situation, this is it," Overstreet said. "Obviously, he wanted to retire as a Packer. I'm hoping there are (teams interested)."

Overstreet said that he was told the Packers had discussions with the Houston Texans, Washington Redskins and Buffalo Bills about a trade. However, all of the three knew that Ferguson probably would be released and they would be able to negotiate a new deal with him as a free agent, thus being free of his $1.8 million salary.

Overstreet said he had not heard from any teams, but he had just been informed Ferguson had been cut.

The Packers parted ways with Ferguson because they felt younger receivers Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holiday were better options. Ferguson, a six-year veteran, missed most of last season with a serious foot injury and had been outperformed by Martin and Holiday on special teams during training camp.

Overstreet said that Ferguson was saddened by the Packers' decision to let him go, but he was not bitter.

"I think he kind of had mixed feelings," Overstreet said. "He was disappointed from the standpoint that he was accustomed to being there and loved his teammates. He had taken up roots there and owned a home. He's disappointed.

"But he feels like he disappointed them. He thinks about 'I didn't succeed with this or that.' He'll always point the finger at himself first regardless of the circumstances. He feels like 'I didn't get it done.' He's a different guy. He won't point the finger at anybody but himself."

There's a strong possibility Ferguson will wind up with the Texans, where former Packers coach and general manager Mike Sherman is assistant head coach. Sherman was influential in drafting Ferguson in the second round in 2001 and held a fondness for his toughness and no-nonsense approach.

Ferguson was born and raised in Houston and would be playing at home with the Texans. Overstreet said it would be important for him to find a team where he was given a good shot at earning a roster spot

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think we would get anything for him. Though being the wishful thinker I am, I was really hoping for a TE in return as compensation.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont really care that we got nothing for Ferguson because he did nothing for us so who is going to give up anything? Teams that were interested realized that he would just be cut if no one traded for him. we have alot of young talent at WR which is better the Ferg. He is going to Houston to join Mike Sherman so half of the Packer team will be there.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well now the recieving corp is:

Driver
Jennings
Jones
Holiday
Martin
Clowney
and upon return Krob

still too many to keep on the roster... who do yall think will make the cut.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ I don't think they keep Clowney. He's the next Cory Rodgers in my opinion. I really had high hopes for him as a deep threat but he's done nothing in my opinion to prove he deserves a roster spot. He should've past Shaun Bodiford by now.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
DakotaT said:
tromadz said:

Now that's good stuff.

It excites me.

I always thought Ledger was kind of a Steisand, but he looks like he might rock the **** in this one. big shoes to fill though.

I have supreme confidence in him, going by the tiny clips/pics I've seen & heard so far. I'm really excited.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would anyone trade for him when they know in a day he'd be cut? Makes no sense to me. The most interesting thing about the article at packersnews was the comment by Fergies agent Overstreet. He mentions that KRob will be back in the 4th week.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a strong possibility Ferguson will wind up with the Texans, where former Packers coach and general manager Mike Sherman is assistant head coach. Sherman was influential in drafting Ferguson in the second round in 2001 and held a fondness for his toughness and no-nonsense approach.

lol

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

lol

That will be funny as hell if it happens.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For whatever reason, sometimes it just doesn't work out for certain players. A few years from now we'll all be saying the same things about players TT has brought in (that didn't pan out in the long run) as we're saying about Ferguson now.

I wish the best for Robert Ferguson, but if you can't make it on a team that's 12-20 in the last 2 seasons it'll be hard to make it elsewhere.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For whatever reason, sometimes it just doesn't work out for certain players. A few years from now we'll all be saying the same things about players TT has brought in (that didn't pan out in the long run) as we're saying about Ferguson now.

I wish the best for Robert Ferguson, but if you can't make it on a team that's 12-20 in the last 2 seasons it'll be hard to make it elsewhere.

RF was not a bust, no matter what the PF experts think. I guess if you don't make the pro-bowl, you are deemed a bust.

Ferguson was never the same after being clotheslined, a change of teams might just be what he needs.

Good luck to him, he will be missed if for only the fact that he was an animal on special teams.

Most starting WR's are not asked to play on kickoff and punt return teams but Robert never complained and went out and did his job, the injury really hurt his progress.

BUT IN THE END WE ALL KNOW THAT IT IS ALL MIKE SHERMAN'S FAULT, HE SHOULD HAVE REALIZED THAT RF WAS GOING TO GET CLOTHESLINED AND WOULD NEVER FULLY RECOVER.
WHAT A DUMB--S

Members online

Latest posts