1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fellow gun owners: hide your property

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by GreenBlood, Jan 10, 2013.

1. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    TPB, you can argue that anything is possible, but what happens when we speak in terms of likelihood?
  2. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you kidding? Insurance companies are subject to all kinds of regulations. The worst is the inability to sell insurance plans to customers across state lines. It's an asinine rule which is anti-competitive and is the single largest factor in the inflated rates we pay. It's easy for 2 - 4 companies to collude within a state. But open the restriction and get 300 companies competing for the business of each customer and rates would drop like a rock.
  3. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    I believe you're right about the prices. Found an interesting article that talks about the problem that, at least on the surface, reads in a fairly, (but not totally), unbiased manner.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-mri-costs-1080-in-america-and-280-in-france/
  4. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    Out of state competition is a great idea, competition could really help drive costs down. There are challenges involved however. Here's an excerpt:

Has there been any research done toward asking the insurance companies if they're willing to try building networks in other states? If so, and they're able to do so, I say open them borders up and let the competition begin!
  5. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,167 / 16 / -7
    I have argued in the past, and still do that Commonwealth members or rather EX Commonwealth members have a right to own a British passport because of what Britain did to these countries in the name of the Empire. My BEEF is with the Europeans who as members of the Common Market come to MY Country to collect benefits that OUR government freely give at the expense of hard working Britains. So I guess I am more American than I thought....lol The Pakistani pipe bombers you mention are in some cases misguided Brits themselves, and I have no answer to that one.
  6. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58 / 12 / -7
    As for "Pakistani pipe bombers", I was actually allowing myself a little bit of alliteration there. I meant Muslim terrorists in general hahaha - many of whom, I guess, are able to enter because of the Commonwealth thing. I'm very surprised to read "what Britain did TO these countries". The way I understand history, Britain brought civilization and civility to MANY places in the world which would have been much worse places if they were never part of the British Empire.Wasn't this same sort of thing the cause of those big riots in France several years ago?

As for the benefits thing, this is the first I heard that was a problem, but isn't it reciprocal? Couldn't Brits go to wherever in the Common Market and collect health care and other benefits there also - maybe somewhere with a nicer climate hahaha like Italy of the French Riviera? And aren't these countries all about the same in terms of socialized medicine? So why don't those nasty "Europeans" stay home and use their own?
  7. texaspackerbacker

Ratings:
    +58 / 12 / -7
    I would like to say the good people get a large majority in Congress in '14 and win the presidency in '16, and we REPEAL the damn Obamacare legislation, BUT you want "likelihood"? It is likely that this program will settle in as an entitlement; Many people will become kinda addicted to it; It will become popular like Social Security; It will do for the Democrat Party and the liberals what Social Security did for a generation - give them a voting majority, allow them to control Congress most of the time, and let them ram through a whole agenda of horrors to drag the country downward - just like they have done my whole lifetime. I'm not sure if you are "one of them"; I think from your post you might be "one of us"; Either way, I think we got outmaneuvered politically on this issue.

As for the thing being a long term mess OR the bugs and flaws being worked out, 50/50 on that in terms of likelihood. There are some liberals who are goodhearted and genuinely want to improve the lives of people - misguided and naive as they often are, and there are those community organizer types who IMO really want to CHANGE America from the top dog in the world to no better than everybody else. It very much depends on who gets control of the health care system and the country in general in the future.
  8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    If I use a in network provider (dr, lab tests, mri's etc) they have a negotiated price set...On my bills it will say what the original charge was and then the negotiated price they charge.

For instance...If I had a mri done and they charged 3000...Since they are in network for my insurance co. they reduced the charge to 1000.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. texaspackerbacker

Ratings:
    +58 / 12 / -7
    That sounds like a good thing, but regardless, negotiating is a lot different from dictating.
  10. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,167 / 16 / -7
    It would appear that as more Eastern European countries like Romania, Bulgaria etc join the EU, they are allowed to come into Britain looking for work, and so the families get the benefit of our health service. If we travel to their country we are expected to buy insurance. Damn those Commies....lol ;)
  11. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    ObamaCare is the law of the land. It will be fully in effect in eight short months and the gears of the machine are fully in motion.

Having said that I'm for letting it stay and working out the bugs. We need SOMETHING in place to help those who do not have insurance and right now this is all we've got, imperfect as it is.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    Damn so the EU opens the borders up for work? That's f**ked up.
  13. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,167 / 16 / -7
    Sarcasm doesn`t suit you. When our unemployment is nearly 2500,000 to 3000,000, said migrant workers are taking British jobs. AND quite a few million Brits do not want to even be in the EU anyway. AND the migrant workers frequently do not pay into the system but get the benefits of our health and Benefit systems. I have no problem with migrant workers who contribute to our system, they are more than welcome.
  14. texaspackerbacker

Ratings:
    +58 / 12 / -7
    I don't think he was being sarcastic, Bill - just saying the same as you, but with surprise it is like that.
  15. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,167 / 16 / -7
    then if that is the case, I apologise for the misunderstanding if there was one.
  16. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    That wasn't sarcasm, it was literally news to me. I'd heard about the EU of course but never considered those aspects of the agreement. I thought it was more like our NAFTA.

I was stationed in Germany from 85-88 and after the fall of communism many of my friends over there talked about how, in fear for the walls going back up, there was a mass exodus of East Germans into West Germany. The Westerners were challenged because suddenly these "foreigners" were once again their countrymen, but the conditions in the East were so bad that the West was saddled with the responsibility of not only surviving the influx of people, but also finding a way to make the country financially stable and rehabilitating the East.
  17. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,167 / 16 / -7
    I think the problem is there is a minimum wage structure in the U.K., but some less scrupulous employers are using foreign labour and sometimes with a "cash in hand" way to save money which I understand, but unfair as it keeps Britains (those who can be bothered) out of the job market. And once again I`m sorry for the misunderstanding. A lot of Britains feel we contribute more to the EU than we get out of it.
  18. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    We get that on our Southern border with those (scumbag) employers who hire foreign labor in the country illegally.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Poppa San

Poppa San Pray daily and take the plunge for Eli Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +857 / 29 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    Didn't realize Wisconsin was on the southern border. Scumbag employers with under the table payments to illegals is a nationwide issue.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    lol touche'. I meant the southern border of the US.

Oh, and I don't live in Wisconsin, I'm in Illinois, hence the forum name.
  21. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Obamacare doesn't help those who don't have insurance. It criminalizes them by imposing a fine on them.
  22. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    It does that too, but it IS making insurance cheaper for some of my friends and family.
  23. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    By what mechanism? What is it, specifically, about Obamacare that has made their insurance cheaper? Mine has gone up the past 2 years. Maybe Obamacare did that too.
  24. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    I definitely don't know all the details but from what I understand, Families making less than 133 percent of the poverty line — that’s about $29,000 for a family of four — will be covered through Medicaid. Between 133 percent and 400 percent of the poverty line — $88,000 for a family of four – families will get tax credits on a sliding scale to help pay for private insurance.

For families making less than 400 percent of the poverty line, premiums are capped. So, between 150% and 200% of the poverty line, for instance, families won’t have to pay more than 6.3 percent of their income in premiums. Between 300 percent and 400 percent, they won’t have to pay more than 9.5 percent. This calculatorfrom the Kaiser Family Foundation will let you see the subsidies and the caps for different families at different income levels.
  25. Poppa San

Poppa San Pray daily and take the plunge for Eli Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +857 / 29 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    Since my existing premium is less than the cap with the difference made up by my employer, why do I get the feeling my premiums are going to rise again? Or is my employers portion included in the cap?
    EDIT: OK, I see I am not eligible for this after following the link.. I get a feeling though my employer may decide to drop coverage seeing it is cheaper to pay the fine than to pay the premiums.