Favre's circle targets Thompson as fall guy

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
click me, ho:

Brett Favre's desire to return to the NFL has produced a new round of criticism directed at Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson.

The latest heat is coming from Favre family members and friends, who are suggesting the quarterback's retirement in March was not only welcomed, but encouraged.

"He has felt like that for the last couple of years, that the Packers didn't really want him back," his mother, Bonita Favre, told Milwaukee TV station WITI after it was reported Wednesday Favre was getting the itch to play again.

"But nothing has been said. You know it has just been bits and pieces throughout the last couple of years, things that would come up, and it just didn't seem like they went out of their way to keep him. It was kind of like, 'You're done.'"

Biloxi Sun Herald reporter Al Jones, a self-described friend of Favre's, added fuel to the fire in an interview on Milwaukee's WTMJ radio when he said Favre was forced into retirement by Thompson.

"It all comes down to Ted Thompson," Jones said. "The main thing is the man has shown no respect to perhaps the greatest quarterback in their franchise history. Brett's a little disappointed. He feels like he can still play. He knows he can still play."

Jones added that Favre has been working out, throwing passes every morning and doesn't want to play for any other team.

"When it's all said and done, Ted Thompson is the man to blame on all this," Jones said.

Thompson has been unavailable for comment since the latest Favre news broke. But in an interview before he left on vacation, I asked Thompson to respond to the perception the organization didn't do enough to talk Favre out of retiring.

"I never understood that, quite frankly," Thompson said. "We went about this offseason the way we have the last several, making sure Brett knew that Mike (McCarthy) and I both felt he's still a good player, can still play the game, can still win and that our team was going to be in a position to win.

"I think that's what a veteran looks for: Do we have a chance to win? And can I still play?

"Other than that, it's not my place to try to convince someone that they're making a bad decision or a good decision. It's my place to say, these are the facts as I see them, now it's up to you and Deanna to make your choice."

That suggests Thompson would have welcomed Favre back. Thus, it's puzzling that Bonita Favre and Jones are so critical of the Packers' general manager.

Was Thompson supposed to get down on his knees in March and beg Brett to return? That would be a ridiculous expectation.

Since when does a superstar quarterback need to be coddled? If Brett wanted to play but perceived he wasn't wanted, he should have drawn on his competitive nature to prove Thompson and the organization wrong.

It should be noted Favre went out of his way at his retirement press conference on March 6 to thank Thompson and absolve the Packers organization of playing a role in his departure.

"I know there's been comments and issues in the press lately about why I'm leaving," Favre said at the time, "whether or not the Packers did enough, whether or not Ted and Mike tried to convince me to stay. None of those things have anything to do with me retiring, and that's from the heart."

Jones admitted in his recent WTMJ interview that McCarthy tried to talk Favre into playing in March. So, if Favre had the full support of his coach, how can anyone make a credible claim that the organization forced the quarterback into retirement?

The landscape has changed over the past four months. After the Packers spent the offseason setting up their offense to highlight new starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers' strengths, it appears neither Thompson nor McCarthy is eager to see Favre return.

While we wait to see how this saga plays out, it's clear those closest to Favre are making Thompson out to be the fall guy. Whether Favre shares those sentiments remains to be seen.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Vandermause hit a homerun with this column.

PackerFreak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that TT shouldnt have to convince Brett not to retire. Brett was still under contract and im sure Teddy would have honored that contract. But I do think that TT should realize that peoples feelings do change and that its perfectly understandable that Brett realizes now that he can still play well and that bringing him back if he wanted to come back would be best for the Packers chances at a title.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldnt you ask your best QB to come back? It is our only chance at the title this year IMO, maybe Rodgers would surprise us all, but I just have a feeling that it will take Rodgers a few years to get to the Superbowl. Favre has been with the Packers for sooooo long, and its always nice to be wanted by someone. I dont mean that TT should kiss Favres feet, but I have a feeling that TT didnt even try and talk him into coming back. When you know a player can still play and might be our only chance this year in getting close to another title you try and do what it takes to get that person back on the field.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just an ugly situation. I cannot blame Brett for wanting to come back and play for the Packers. But it doesn't do any good for Favre's family to go public about Thompson like this.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Favre is a grown man and Thompson shouldn't have to convince him to come back, that's a decision Favre is old enough to take himself. Favre is just tarnishing his legacy in my eyes now.

Claymorespackersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Favre is a grown man and Thompson shouldn't have to convince him to come back, that's a decision Favre is old enough to take himself. Favre is just tarnishing his legacy in my eyes now.

That's a bit harsh--from what I've heard the only comment Favre has made was that any comments were "All rumour". Can't see how Favre is tarnishing his legacy and his circle are entitled to their opinions.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:

That's a bit harsh--from what I've heard the only comment Favre has made was that any comments were "All rumour". Can't see how Favre is tarnishing his legacy and his circle are entitled to their opinions.

Give me a break. I realize that Chris Mortensen has little credibility, but numerous sources have said that Favre contacted the team and even his "inner circle" is saying that he wants to come back. I don't care what Favre says, a person with half a brain and glasses that aren't rose-tinted can see that Favre is lying when he denies this. He has been paid millions and millions by the Packers, his fans have worshiped him like a God for years, and yet he has held the team and his fans over the coals for the past three offseasons. Now when he wants to return and he gets the big "F U!" from GB management he is embarrassed and tries to deny everything. And after all the Packers and fans have given Favre his family has the gall to act like he has been under appreciated? Give me a break and put a muzzle on this ****** reporter in Biloxi.

NormaL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:

Ok then, his family is tarnishing his legacy.
This whole thing is getting old and i can't wait for the season to begin.
Do other HOF players bring up this much crap from the media when they decide to retire?
Years of will he, won't he. Then when he finally does, it still doesn't end....
Let the guy retire in peace. Bring on A-rod

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Claymorespackersfan said:
Bertram said:

Give me a break. I realize that Chris Mortensen has little credibility, but numerous sources have said that Favre contacted the team and even his "inner circle" is saying that he wants to come back. I don't care what Favre says, a person with half a brain and glasses that aren't rose-tinted can see that Favre is lying when he denies this. He has been paid millions and millions by the Packers, his fans have worshiped him like a God for years, and yet he has held the team and his fans over the coals for the past three offseasons. Now when he wants to return and he gets the big "F U!" from GB management he is embarrassed and tries to deny everything. And after all the Packers and fans have given Favre his family has the gall to act like he has been under appreciated? Give me a break and put a muzzle on this ****** reporter in Biloxi.

I dont know Favre personally but IMO Brett is an honest guy, all he wants to do is play football and complete. He is still at the top of his game so why not??? I do care what Brett Favre says and always will, he has been someone that I have looked up to for so long, he has given us as fans the excitement, and the honesty every season. He has given us and the Packers 100%. And when you say "after all the Packers and fans have given Favre and his family they have the gall to act like he has been under appreciated"? This is just an untrue statement!!! What about all Brett has given us??? He has played hurt, he has played when knowing his father had just passed away, no he still played his heart out and had the best game of his career. So why dont you put a muzzle on it?? I usually am not a mean person but when I read something like this it makes me sad.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nelanator said:
Claymorespackersfan said:
Bertram said:

I dont know Favre personally but IMO Brett is an honest guy, all he wants to do is play football and complete. He is still at the top of his game so why not??? I do care what Brett Favre says and always will, he has been someone that I have looked up to for so long, he has given us as fans the excitement, and the honesty every season. He has given us and the Packers 100%. And when you say "after all the Packers and fans have given Favre and his family they have the gall to act like he has been under appreciated"? This is just an untrue statement!!! What about all Brett has given us??? He has played hurt, he has played when knowing his father had just passed away, no he still played his heart out and had the best game of his career. So why dont you put a muzzle on it?? I usually am not a mean person but when I read something like this it makes me sad.

I'm not mean, either. I am just looking at this at face value - which I realize is difficult for fans who have deified Favre. But the reality is that Favre has notoriously held the team and fans in limbo for several consecutive offseasons and TT and the rest of the Packers management have been wondering when they would finally have to move on. Favre announced his "official" retirement so the Pack had no choice but to move on and get comfortable with life without him. After this transition and all the dramatics of the teary-eyed retirement nobody can expect them to welcome #4 back with open arms. It is time for everyone to move on and TT and McCarthy are not the bad guy in this situation - if there is a bad guy.

But now this idiot reporter says things like "the man [Thompson] has shown no respect to perhaps the greatest quarterback in their franchise history" and "When it's all said and done, Ted Thompson is the man to blame on all this." But on what basis does he have to make these claims? IMO, the Packers management has been extremely patient and respectful with this situation - as have the fans. If anything, despite all that he has done for the team on the field, Favre has not respected the Packers' situation in the matter.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People need to understand that Brett Favre is a professional athlete and in the end all pro athletes have a similar quality. They want to be wanted. That's what it always is about. Favre wants to be wanted and pampered a little. I don't blame him for that. However, Thompson has to send the message that we want Favre back but we'll be good without him. It's a message the team needs to here. Not because it's true but because it boosts the other athletes on the teams morals and confidence.

In the end I think the Packers are going to have to have a long meeting when they return from vacation and make an organized decision on what they feel is best for the team. Regardless of the outcome I'm with the Packers all the way and if Favre wants to still play, I say go for it as long as it's not with the Vikings, Bears, or Lions. :D

Stroz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People need to understand that Brett Favre is a professional athlete and in the end all pro athletes have a similar quality. They want to be wanted. That's what it always is about. Favre wants to be wanted and pampered a little. I don't blame him for that. However, Thompson has to send the message that we want Favre back but we'll be good without him. It's a message the team needs to here. Not because it's true but because it boosts the other athletes on the teams morals and confidence.

In the end I think the Packers are going to have to have a long meeting when they return from vacation and make an organized decision on what they feel is best for the team. Regardless of the outcome I'm with the Packers all the way and if Favre wants to still play, I say go for it as long as it's not with the Vikings, Bears, or Lions. :D

I don't know why Favre wants to have permision to come back. He is great QB. His attitude should be, "I'm back. You like it or not." If he doesn't think he's great. TT will not give him any benefit. What does he want Favre to do, beg to come back?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

I don't know why Favre wants to have permision to come back. He is great QB. His attitude should be, "I'm back. You like it or not." If he doesn't think he's great. TT will not give him any benefit. What does he want Favre to do, beg to come back?

Favre and and Ted are both sitting at their desks, staring at their phone, waiting for the other to call. yawn.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's realistic that Brett Favre even can get in shape before the season starts because I think he hasn't a whole lot of training since he retired. He should dstay retired and not cause all this commotion around the team and Aaron Rodgers. Although if Rodgers fail as a starting QB, it is his own fault, but Brett Favre is sure enough not making it any easier for him.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

I read on PFW (I think) that the Packers thinking on this is if he wants too play then just show up. I think Favre wants to be asked.

Problem with that is he was asked back in March and he said no thank you. Asking him now would be a slap in the face too Aaron Rodgers and of course Favre can always say no this time around too. Then what do you say to Rodgers.

NFL_GEEK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if Farve wants to play he can just show up..there's nothing MM or TT can do about it and heck if TT doesn't want him...release him to the Vikings...although I am not a Vikings fan...reeasing him to the Vikings would be great...so that way I can see him play in Lambeau Field whooping TT's team. hahahaha that would be funny

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assumiong Brett wants to return, this is a test for Ted right here and right now. Part of being a GM is handling situations like this. I know what I would do but Ted's got that tough guy thing going on. In the end it will rear it's face in the next couple years for better or worse.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL_GEEK said:
if Farve wants to play he can just show up..there's nothing MM or TT can do about it and heck if TT doesn't want him...release him to the Vikings...although I am not a Vikings fan...reeasing him to the Vikings would be great...so that way I can see him play in Lambeau Field whooping TT's team. hahahaha that would be funny

****Definition of a Favre-firster****

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
NFL_GEEK said:

Am I the only one that is amazed that after numerous NFL records, TV commercials, millions of football cards, heroic game finishes and all the attention he gets from ESPN, that some people STILL can not spell his name correctly??

[align=center]F A V R E[/align]

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL_GEEK said:

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three offseasons worth of wondering and waiting for Favre to decide whether or not to retire has given me the attitude of actual relief when he finally retired. I thought all the drama was finally over, and we can get back to football and away from the soap opera. Nope. Its worse.

Stroz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stroz said:
porky88 said:

I read on PFW (I think) that the Packers thinking on this is if he wants too play then just show up. I think Favre wants to be asked.

Problem with that is he was asked back in March and he said no thank you. Asking him now would be a slap in the face too Aaron Rodgers and of course Favre can always say no this time around too. Then what do you say to Rodgers.

That is true I have little understanding about the politics. But you're right. It would be slapping Rodgers' face.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three offseasons worth of wondering and waiting for Favre to decide whether or not to retire has given me the attitude of actual relief when he finally retired. I thought all the drama was finally over, and we can get back to football and away from the soap opera. Nope. Its worse.

I couldn't agree more.

Stroz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL_GEEK said:

If he doesn't get to rejoin Packers, I would want to see him on some team I don't care about. God no! Not the Vikings! It could come to bite us!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nathaniel said:

I couldn't agree more.
I know what you are saying. To me, this was the one year i was almost certain he WAS coming back. An overtime away from the SB, and you decide to walk NOW?
Now.....his friends and family are spouting off......yet he says there's no truth to it. Who's telling the truth?
He said at his retirement no one is forcing him out. Now they are? I don't get it. Which statement is true?
MM tells Favre they want him back.......yet he quits. Now he wants to -unquit..........but he quit in the first place because he didn't feel wanted? MM telling him "We want you back" isn't being wanted?
Someone's telling the truth, someone is not.
I never wanted Favre to retire. I wanted him here this coming year.
But man, is this screwed up or what?

Members online

Latest posts