Favre Will Stick To His Guns In 2006.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get ready, Wisconsin. Brett Favre has no intention, either, of going out in a shy way if the 2006 season does indeed turn out to be the 16th and final rendition of his one-of-a-kind quarterbacking career.

Telling his story for the first time since deciding April 25 to play another year, Favre was even more defiant than usual Saturday when the subject of his 29 interceptions was brought up in a non-accusatory fashion.

"I don't regret the way I play or the way I approach it," Favre said during a 30-minute session with reporters at the Packers' minicamp. "I don't feel like I should change. For me to change now, it would be time for me to leave."

According to Favre, his career-low passer rating of 70.9 (58.0 in the last 10 games), which ranked 31st in the National Football League, was more a reflection of circumstances and the personnel around him than slippage in his own level of performance.

"Throwing 20 touchdowns and 29 interceptions, all the experts out there have their opinions and theories," Favre said. "To be honest with you, I don't think I played any differently than any other year. When you're down, I'm not going to sit there and throw 3-yard check-downs and let the clock run out. I'm going to take chances.

"There will be people that agree with that and people who don't agree with that. I really don't care."

Green Bay's 4-12 performance last season was plagued by a league-leading 45 giveaways. Favre's total of 29 picks was 12 more than any other NFL quarterback. He also lost seven fumbles, his most since 1993.

New coach Mike McCarthy knows that if his quarterback turns the ball over 36 times in 2006, his tenure in Green Bay could be as abbreviated as Ray Rhodes'.

"I think the way he worded it, I don't see it that way," McCarthy said four hours after Favre made his remarks. "I think you want him to play aggressive the way he has throughout his whole career. But to sit there and say he had 29 interceptions, he's not going to change his style, I don't think that's the message he was sending."

Favre appeared to be as coachable now to McCarthy as in 1999, when he was serving as one of Favre's eight quarterbacks coaches in the NFL. McCarthy chalked up some of that to being the son of a coach.

For his part, Favre pledged to give his all in return for $10 million in compensation.

"The Packers still want me," he said. "I want to be back. Whatever happens, happens. I will always be competitive. I'm going to try to enjoy it as much as I can."

Some popular theories for his return, such as money, the chance to break all-time passing records and a desire not to go out with a horrible season, weren't factors in his decision.

"Ultimately, I still wanted to play," Favre said. "I wondered what it would be like at home on Sundays next year. It was a long and difficult decision, but basically what it came down to was I still think I can be doing that and still believe I want to do that."

In the next breath, Favre admitted he has had second thoughts in the last 11 days.

"I'm not going to lie," he said. "I wonder if it's the right decision. There's times I go, 'I hope I made the right decision.' Yeah, I wonder what my attitude would be like if we lose six in a row. I hope it's still good."

Favre also sought to distance himself from a remark he made to the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald in late March in which he said that if he played in 2006 there was no doubt it would be his final season.

"I know I said that," Favre said. "I'm going to play this year and give it my best and not talk about it. I'm sure it will come up. It's been a distraction, not only for me but for the guys I played with. I'm just not going to talk about it this year."

Last month, an unscientific Journal Sentinel online poll of more than 6,000 revealed that 81% thought the Packers should trade Favre. Yet, the idea of playing for another team, even a Super Bowl contender, remained anathema to Favre.

"I know there was a lot of talk about being traded or wanting to play for another team," he said. "I told you guys over and over again that I didn't want to play for another team, and that's the truth. This is where I wanted to be the whole time."

Favre also didn't second-guess his decision to rip Javon Walker in March 2005 shortly after the wide receiver threatened to hold out if not given a new contract. People close to Walker said his animosity toward Favre was a major reason why he demanded out of Green Bay.

"I don't regret anything I said," Favre said. "I stand by that. I think the world of Javon. I'm sure he'll help Denver. The situation is what it is. We could sure use him. Any team could."

The longer Favre answered questions, the more he rambled. Late in the briefing, he offered almost a soliloquy about how he has played the game.

"My will to win is probably why I'm still standing here," he said. "Not my footwork, not my mechanics, not arm strength or decision-making. It's my desire to win. I want to win more than anyone else and am willing to do whatever it takes. There's been a lot of guys out there prettier than me who are out of the league now."

No record means more to Favre than his consecutive start streak of 241 games, including 20 in the playoffs. But with his 37th birthday approaching in October, more and more of his friends and family members have expressed concerns about his chances of suffering a major injury.

Still, Favre revealed that an unofficial vote of family members on whether he should play was unanimous to play.

Favre took a few snaps in the first practice Friday, sat out team drills Saturday morning and then took a few more snaps in the afternoon. McCarthy expects that Favre will begin a football-oriented workout regimen this month back in Mississippi.

While Favre said he sensed "renewed optimism" in the locker room, he also knows the Packers aren't what they used to be.

"I know there's a risk of being 4-12 again," he said. "I'm also well aware we lost five games by just a few (12) points. With all the injuries we had and the fact these guys can come back healthy, there's always a chance."

Favre's demeanor seemed to be along the lines of just getting through another minicamp. Asked about McCarthy's version of the West Coast offense, Favre spoke without apparent enthusiasm of more "check with me" chances at the line, increased downfield passing, a streamlined playbook and the new zone-blocked running game.

"We're going to do some more things that can help us," Favre said. "I think we were pretty good here in the past with Mike Sherman. I have a lot of respect for him and what he did for this team. We say we're not going to let the defense dictate to us. It's easier said than done."

In late January, Favre told ESPN that he wasn't sure anymore if he wanted the ball in crunch time. Last season, he had six chances to win close games on the final possession and delivered just once.

"When Chris Mortensen asked me that question I wasn't here," said Favre. "Now I'm here. If I didn't want the ball, believe me, I wouldn't be here."

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts