Favre wasn't Romo's Idol

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greetings GB fans. I thought I'd post this to dispell some of the media's hyping the Favre/Romo stuff. Good luck Thursday.

Head to Head
Romo Downplays Personal Match-up With Favre

Nick Eatman - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
November 25, 2007 7:04 PM Change Font Size A A A A

Tony Romo grew up in Wisconsin, but said Brett Favre wasn't his favorite NFL quarterback.

IRVING, Texas - Tony Romo did his best on Sunday.

For the reporters huddled around his locker, he tried to give them exactly what they wanted.

But he just couldn't.

Sure, he grew up in Wisconsin and watched many of Green Bay Packers games featuring Brett Favre. And yes, Romo's style of play, his arm strength, elusiveness in the pocket - all resemble that of Favre.

But to say Thursday's matchup between two 10-1 teams, possibly for home-field advantage throughout out of the NFC playoffs, will be about one quarterback who idolized the other, is a bit of a stretch.

Romo has all the respect in the world for Favre, who has been the Packers' starting quarterback since the 1992 season. But Romo, who grew up in Burlington, Wisc., said he didn't have Favre posters hanging all over his walls as a kid, nor did he own a Packers No. 4 jersey.

"No, I was a basketball fan," said Romo, who was 12 years old when Favre first joined the Packers. "Michael Jordan was my idol."

In fact, when it came to actually watching the game's top quarterbacks, Romo said he was more of a John Elway fan, and even rooted against Favre and the home-state Packers when they played Denver in Super Bowl XXXII.

So all these stories about Romo trying to pattern his entire game after Favre just aren't accurate.

But that won't take anything away from Thursday night's game at Texas Stadium.

Because regardless if Romo was wearing an Elway, Favre or Jordan jersey as a kid, he knows gray hair or not, Favre is the main person standing in his team's way of getting to 11-1.

"I know what you guys are trying to get at it, and it's nice and it's fun . . . but I have to beat the guy this week," Romo said. "I root for him on every other game, but I hope he plays just OK this week."

While Romo said he's only met Favre once and for a short conversation at that, Favre seems to know exactly what the 27-year-old starter is going through.

The first question of Favre's conference call Sunday with the Dallas-Fort Worth media was about comparing his style of play with Romo's.

"I'm sure he's about tired of answering this question or talking about it," Favre said. "I think he's his own player. The fact that he's from Wisconsin and younger than me and watched me play and was a Packers fan, it enhances this whole scenario. But in a nutshell, his creativity with his legs ? when I see him play, it reminds me of myself. Making something out of nothing.

"He's not going to rush for 500 yards, but his creativity to bail himself out is very good. And without being in his head, he probably has the same mentality as I had in that there's never a bad play - which can get you in trouble, but for the most part, it's worked out for him."

And it's more than worked out for Favre, who seems to be getting better with age. The 38-year old quarterback already has 3,356 passing yards and 22 touchdowns for a 101.5 quarterback rating in his 17th pro season.

Favre is the primary reason the Packers are 10-1 this year, and despite all of the great seasons of his career, he admitted this has been his best so far.

"I think I'm playing as good as football as I've ever played up to this point," Favre said.

Romo would agree, but doesn't sound surprised at all.

"That's who he is. He's always been a guy who can get the job done," Romo said. "He's got some good players around him now and their defense is playing well. But I don't think Brett ever lost anything. He's been great for so long and that's why he's one of the best to ever play."

Favre's career numbers suggest nothing different.

He passed Dan Marino earlier this season for the NFL's all-time lead in touchdown passes, and currently has 436. Favre needs just 506 passing yards to break Marino's record of 61,361 career yards.

Quarterbacks are judged in different ways. Some go by stats, others go by Super Bowl victories. Favre won a Super Bowl in 1996 and is closing in on having the best stats of any other quarterback in league history.

So heading into Thursday's game, the Cowboys know what they're in for with Favre. Head coach Wade Phillips has faced him enough times to know Favre will make his share of big plays. It's his job to make sure the defense keeps them to a minimum.

"You just have to play out the play every play with him," Phillips said. "Brett, we've seen him do it year after year and some of the things are amazing. Some of the plays Brett makes, you (have to) go to the next play. You can't get discouraged and they will throw the ball a whole lot. That's what we expect. You have to keep going to the next play."

There aren't many quarterbacks in the NFL playing better than Favre right now, and it's debatable whether Romo or Favre is having the better season. But you won't get many, including those two - who wouldn't put New England's Tom Brady ahead of them both.

When asked if he was having an MVP season, Favre said he couldn't imagine the award not going to Brady.

"I think the only one who beats the Patriots is the Patriots themselves," Favre said. "And I don't see that happening. I may be wrong. I think (Brady's) play period, regardless who he's throwing to, is as good as anyone who has played the game."

But Brady isn't playing head and shoulders above Favre. And if Brady could come into Texas Stadium back in October and throw for a career-high five touchdown passes and 388 yards, there has to be some kind of fear Favre and his Packers could do the same.

"We can't really worry about that," linebacker Bradie James said. "We have to put that behind us. We've done that. We have to go to work and prepare for them in their own way. Favre is really good. But we've got to be smart about we do and figure out a way to stop him."

Favre is the crafty veteran with all the records, but the Packers will be facing the same challenges against Romo, who apparently has caught their attention - not just with his arm.

"His playmaking ability - he's very instinctive," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "Tony sees the field very well and he can make all the throws. But he makes a lot of plays with his feet. He's very impressive."

Given the seasons Romo and Favre are having, neither side could come up with anything negative to say about the other, even if they wanted to.

It's clearly a matchup featuring two of the best teams in the NFL. And two of the very best quarterbacks in the NFL.

Regardless if one of them grew up idolizing the other or not

OP
OP
B

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a big game. Believe me we've had quite a few Pack fans visit our forum. Some very knowledgeable and courteous and some just wanting to talk smack. I think it's interesting to get opposing fan's insight and don't care for all the trash talk. I think it's going to be a great game.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense. I just haven't seen this many opponents fans on the regular board before.

Anyway...welcome.

PS
Favre is every QBs idol.

OP
OP
B

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense. I just haven't seen this many opponents fans on the regular board before.

Anyway...welcome.

PS
Favre is every QBs idol.
We are many, LOL.

Hey we're just excited that we are 10-1 for the 1st time in franchise history. I've been a fan through the glory days of Staubach and through the dark times of the past decade. It's just nice to be doing well again.

Anyway, I've visited here a few times and found your forum to be good with a lot of quality fans so I thought I'd post some. I really like the way your team is built with a good mix of veteran leaders and promising young players. I don't think this year is a fluke for GB. The only question is is Rogers going to be capable of taking over when Favre decides it's time to call it quits.

Rios39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is making it awful hard for QB's like Brady, Romo and Manning to catch his records when he's performing like this at the age of 38.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DGB454 said:

Anyway...welcome.

PS
Favre is every QBs idol.
We are many, LOL.

Hey we're just excited that we are 10-1 for the 1st time in franchise history. I've been a fan through the glory days of Staubach and through the dark times of the past decade. It's just nice to be doing well again.

Anyway, I've visited here a few times and found your forum to be good with a lot of quality fans so I thought I'd post some. I really like the way your team is built with a good mix of veteran leaders and promising young players. I don't think this year is a fluke for GB. The only question is is Rogers going to be capable of taking over when Favre decides it's time to call it quits.

Hopefully he will be around for 2 or more years yet.

In all honesty I think the game will be close. Cowboys have put together a great team and having a homefield advantage doesn't help.

I keep hearing how Favre has never won in Texas stadium but that doesn't worry me. At the beginning of the season there were only 2 teams Favre hadn't beaten. Now there are none. He did that while on the road too.

Anyway...

Hope it's an exciting game with no injuries. (I don't think we can afford any more)

DGB

slowsinistermo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is making it awful hard for QB's like Brady, Romo and Manning to catch his records when he's performing like this at the age of 38.

LOL dont get ahead of yourself Romo has played about 1.5 seasons

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rios39 said:

LOL dont get ahead of yourself Romo has played about 1.5 seasons

Give him another 15.5 and then you can consider him.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So.....Romo cheered for Elway in SB 32.
That gives me an "official" reason to hate him!!! :wink: :lol:

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo is great, but he rooted for Elway? I mean, horse face the prima donna, himself? Ack. Oh well, we all made stupid mistakes when we were young.

Here's hoping for a great game. Romo is the man, so is Favre. But I'd like to see Romo sitting in the stands rooting for Favre during this year's superbowl. ;)

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares who Romo idolized. Romo is good, but I am sick of the comparisons to Brett. Romo needs to put in his tenure before that is even discussed.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
n a recent interview with ESPN, Romo said he idolized Favre when he was young so most of this article is bogus.

And here you claim to be a knowledgeable Cowboys fan...

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
right after the interview in question, he was asked by a reporter if that was what he really thought, and Romo responded (paraphrasing) "I am trying to beat this guy, what do you want me to say?"

no link, sorry. heard it on sportscenter this morning

OP
OP
B

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
n a recent interview with ESPN, Romo said he idolized Favre when he was young so most of this article is bogus.

And here you claim to be a knowledgeable Cowboys fan...
From the Milwaukee Journal (And you claim to be a knowledgeable Packer fan . . .):

Romo says he's no fawning fan

Though he grew up in state, Dallas QB didn't idolize Favre

By GARY D'AMATO
[email protected]

Posted: Nov. 26, 2007

Irving, Texas - It's an irresistible, made-for-TV storyline: Kid from small-town Wisconsin grows up idolizing Brett Favre and winds up facing his hero in an epic battle between two 10-1 teams with Super Bowl aspirations.
Packers/NFL
Photo/Journal Sentinel
Although Tony Romo didn't grow up idolizing Brett Favre, the two do have a lot in common.

Packers-Cowboys Pre-game Talk

Cue the violin music and the baritone voice-over.

In reality, however, there's a hole in the two-hankie tale bigger than the one in the Texas Stadium roof.

See, Tony Romo grew up idolizing Michael Jordan. He rooted for John Elway in Super Bowl XXXII. At Burlington (Wis.) High School in the mid-1990s, when Favre fever was sweeping Wisconsin, he picked No. 16 as his football jersey number in honor of Joe Montana.

"I was probably the outcast," Romo said.

His all-time favorite sports moment? No, it's not Favre sprinting around the Superdome after throwing a touchdown pass to Andre Rison in Super Bowl XXXI. It's not a grieving Favre going off for 399 yards and four touchdowns against the Oakland Raiders one day after his father died.

It's Jack Nicklaus, then 58, contending at the 1998 Masters.

"I come home from church on that Sunday morning in '98, and I can't wait," Romo said. "And the first thing (CBS announcer) Jim Nantz says when he comes on the screen is, 'You're not going to believe this.' And they show Jack.

"I jumped so high my head hit the ceiling."

Romo is sorry to burst your bubble, but he barely knows Favre. They chatted for a few minutes at Favre's charity golf tournament in Mississippi a couple years ago. That's it. They don't even exchange text messages.

So when he leads the Dallas Cowboys onto the field Thursday night to face Favre and the Green Bay Packers in a National Football Conference mega-showdown, Romo won't be trembling in his spikes in the presence of his boyhood idol.

"I enjoyed watching Brett play, but it wasn't like that," he said. "I know it's difficult for (the media) to understand that. I know what you guys are trying to get at. I can understand the angle and it's nice and it's fun.

"But I've got to beat the guy this week."

QB commonalities

However, even Romo can't deny that his blue-collar background, his meteoric rise to NFL stardom - he went from the bench to the Pro Bowl in a 10-game span last year - and his aggressive-impulsive style of play are eerily reminiscent of a future Hall of Fame quarterback.
"I guess the neat thing is that people think in some small way that you resemble him, and that's a huge compliment, obviously," Romo said. "It's probably a disservice to him because of how unbelievable he's been throughout his career.

"We both play with a passion when we're out there, and we both enjoy winning. I know he'll compete, and I know I will, too."

Elusive in the pocket and dangerous on the run, Romo plays with an enthusiasm that rubs off on teammates. Like Favre, his impish grin masks an off-the-charts competitiveness. And the truth is Romo did try to incorporate some of Favre's quirky mannerisms into his own game.

"Tony would tape his favorite players, and he would try to emulate them," said Steve Berezowitz, Romo's high school basketball coach. "He would practice moves that Jordan did.

Favre and (Dan) Marino and Elway, too.

"I remember Favre used to do that handoff and then jump up in the air. Tony did that a couple times in high school. He came off the field and I was like, 'What are you thinking?' He was just laughing."

In Dallas, the comparisons to Favre were inevitable, and Romo did little to discourage them. He'd improvise in practice and the coaches would get on him, telling him to knock off the Favre stuff. He perfected a "Favre walk" that Cowboys tight end Jason Witten said was a dead-on imitation.

Perhaps it's not surprising that Favre - who famously copied Elway's pigeon-toed strut - sees a lot of himself, circa 1995, in the 27-year-old Romo.

"When I see him play, it reminds me of myself," Favre said in a conference call with the Dallas-Fort Worth media. "He's not going to rush for 500 yards, but his creativity to bail himself out is very good.

"And without being in his head, he probably has the same mentality I had in that there's never a bad play, which can get you in trouble but for the most part it's worked out for him."

Has it ever. Romo leads the NFC in touchdowns (29), average gain per attempt (8.64 yards) and quarterback rating (105.3). After just 21 career starts, he's thrown for more yards (5,946) than all but six quarterbacks in franchise history.

More importantly, the Cowboys have the No. 2-ranked offense in the NFL and are 10-1 for the first time in team history.

"I think his game management, besides his playing, has really come along," first-year Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said. "He obviously did a lot of great things last year. But he seems to be more consistent overall."

It's impossible to overstate Romo's popularity in this part of the country, or among Cowboys fans nationwide. His No. 9 jersey is the NFL's hottest seller and every aspect of his personal life is scrutinized, especially given the celebrity company he has kept (Jessica Simpson, Carrie Underwood).

He's become a larger-than-life hero in the Dallas-area Hispanic community, which is crazy about the Cowboys. When Romo signed a six-year, $67.5 million contract extension recently, his Latino fans rejoiced.

"A lot of it has to do with his personality," said Larry Rodriguez, who has covered the Cowboys for 19 years for the Fox affiliate in Dallas. "He's very approachable. Even when he was a backup, you wanted to get to know him. When he signed that big contract, the Hispanic community was like, 'Yes!' "

Now, Romo finds himself in the biggest game of his life, a game that probably will determine home-field advantage for the NFC playoffs.

On the other side of the field will be Favre, a man he admires and respects but does not worship. Romo never owned a No. 4 Packers jersey. He never wore a cheesehead. He wants to play well, but not to impress Favre.

"I don't think it's a matter of Tony trying to go out there and impress anyone," Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens said. "I think Tony is going to go out there with the mind-set of winning the ball game.

"And if that impresses Brett, so be it."

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is this so important to anyone whether he Idolized Brett or not?

I seriously doubt it matters one way or the other to Favre.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what are you saying??? The two beat writers know each other well? Or that they plagiarized each other?

Members online

Latest posts