Favre was cold

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good summary Roy. The thing that concerns me is not Brett, the WR'S or even the punt blocking. My concern lies in the fact that the Def. and O-Line was pretty crappy today.

The weather should effect Brett throwing a football, Ryan catching a longsnap, the WR dropping balls, etc. The Weather SHOULD NOT effect the O-line blocking or the DB's covering or the Middle being gashed.

This O-line is just not very good and it's going to pose a problem in the playoffs if we get into bad conditions. We need to run the ball like the Bears did. Our Def. was pretty soft today and gave up way to many yards for the conditions. MM's gameplan was also very poor. We should have done everything to plug up the middle and in passing situations better defended the screen. Instead MM was worried about getting beat by the long ball, for whatever reason. I think MM neglected to change the gameplan based on the weather.

All in all this game was determined in the 1st quarter. The Bears set the tempo by going on a 10 minute drive, converting first down after first down and putting points on the board. There is no doubt had the weather been better we would have had the Offensive firepower to score right with them. The Def. failed to win the battle and the O-line failed to give us any chance to compete today in the conditions.

Not the end of the world but it is that time of the year where weather conditions are not ideal. We need to perform better in bad weather, but today was extreme. That being said we are the GREEN BAY Packers and using weather SHOULD NEVER be an excuse, no matter how severe

Nice write-up. This game was lost at the lines.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We just had a horrible game all around. But if it happens now, at least it wasn't during the playoffs. Hopefully "Eminem" rides them this week, and makes them watch the game film over and over and over........and then burns it.
We stunk on ALL levels. We still HAD a shot at homefield throughout.
Now that that is gone, hopefully they will rest some of the starters, and not chance an injury.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
They let the cold beat them today, it's that simple. Favre looked cold and he looked like he didn't want to be out there. All the Packers looked that way. This team needs to toughen up. You know where we'd be practicing if I were the coach, we'd be outside the rest of the week.

It's not a matter of the team needing to get tougher IMO.

Like trom said, and a few of the sports writers echoed the exact same thing, these conditions were horrid. There is playing in the cold, then there is playing in the weather today which was beyond cold and had wind/snow to boot.

Like Cdn said, when Favre said it's cold, it's beyond the normal cold of Lambeau. A few times, I saw Driver standing in front of the heater, and you're going to tell me Driver isn't tough?

These football players, especially at skill positions, have extremely low body fat, less than 10%. In weather like this, they cramp up because of it, and if you cramp up then you can't exactly play at 100%.
So the Bears skill players don't have low body fat? The weather didnt seem to bother them at all.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
midwest...you're right. Bottom line, the packers were a bunch of absolute wimps out there today that did not prepare themselves mentally to play in that weather.

Do 40 mph winds and all that jazz suck...yes, but c'mon.. the bears punted, covered, and passed just fine.

MM gave no thought to us having a shot at a passing game until we saw the bears execute just fine. Favre was a wimp and I was so discouraged seeing him sprint off the field at half w/ 30 sec left on the clock. No effort on ST, no focus, o-line laid an egg.

This is not a doomsday prophesy at all...it was just painfully obvious to me that this team didn't give a darn about this game even before it started.

Reaction score
So the Bears skill players don't have low body fat? The weather didnt seem to bother them at all.

True, and looking back that looks like a stupid comment, not sure why I said it (possibly because I had just woken up after deciding sleep was better then watching the end of the game).

Cramping up is no excuse. I'm guessing the players cramped up, and on top of that it seemed like things just weren't going our way with a blowout staring them in the face. That led them to pack it in, take the easy route and play with little effort.

Looking at the replays, Brett took a damn pounding. Terrible pass pro as someone before highlighted.

As for the D, I'm still not understanding why our LBs and Safties weren't playing closer to the LOS. D-Line did them no favor, but come on we're playing a running team, not the Pats.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Stop implying someone in the organization said weather was the reason why we lost. The wold is not coming to end.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop implying someone in the organization said weather was the reason why we lost. The wold is not coming to end.

Again, where did I state that SOMEONE in the organization sad weather was an excuse. Also please find where anyone said the world is coming to an end.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Let's just stop already. The wold is going to be okay. No one used the weather as an excuse so lets just stop implying these weird things.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
They let the cold beat them today, it's that simple. Favre looked cold and he looked like he didn't want to be out there. All the Packers looked that way. This team needs to toughen up. You know where we'd be practicing if I were the coach, we'd be outside the rest of the week.

Like trom said, and a few of the sports writers echoed the exact same thing, these conditions were horrid. There is playing in the cold, then there is playing in the weather today which was beyond cold and had wind/snow to boot.

Like Cdn said, when Favre said it's cold, it's beyond the normal cold of Lambeau. A few times, I saw Driver standing in front of the heater, and you're going to tell me Driver isn't tough?

These football players, especially at skill positions, have extremely low body fat, less than 10%. In weather like this, they cramp up because of it, and if you cramp up then you can't exactly play at 100%.

the bears had it much easier.

they were on the home sideline. the wind barely touched them. if you watch the replay... the entire side behind the green bay bench left for halftime to get out of the weather. it was blowing in off the water and hitting that side of the stadium. So the pack had to take the beating on the sideline while the other side of the fans and the bears team got to sit in cold weather without wind. much more like a normal cold weather game.
The chain gang moved to the other side of the field after the first quarter because the conditions were too harsh on the packers side of the field. If you go back and watch the tape, you can tell... one side of the stadium and the packers are hunched down trying to stay alive... then the bears and the fans on that side are cheering and moving around.

it was an honest to god anamoly... and likely wont ever happen again. just a freak game. and we played like we wanted to leave.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Exactly Packnic. It was like two different stadiums inside one. Throw in the 22 to 7 minute time of advantage after the 10+ minute first drive and it is amazing the O did not freeze to death.

May be it was because the sun is entering the sign of Capricorn, and the moon will be entering the seventh solar house.

Not mention that Jupiter has aligned with Mars. :p

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Exactly Packnic. It was like two different stadiums inside one. Throw in the 22 to 7 minute time of advantage after the 10+ minute first drive and it is amazing the O did not freeze to death.

May be it was because the sun is entering the sign of Capricorn, and the moon will be entering the seventh solar house.

Heh. I knew you'd take that quote. That was the thing I was fearing when the 2nd half started, worse than losing the game. :roll:

But as any decent gambler knows - there's only one thing you can be certain of in life. It's you're gonna die. Everything else is a gamble, and there's no such thing as a sure bet. :(

Lexstein

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quit making excuses for Favre....he sucked it up....he's done it many times before, the guy is not a God, he's just another football player who doesn't play well sometimes. When he's bad, he's BAD, but more often then not he's great.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quit making excuses for Favre....he sucked it up....he's done it many times before, the guy is not a God, he's just another football player who doesn't play well sometimes. When he's bad, he's BAD, but more often then not he's great.

Yeah..it's all Favre's fault...don't you know? :roll:

The O-Line didn't suck yesterday... :roll:

The special teams were special... :roll:

and the Defense was the "Death Squad" not the "Suck Squad".... :roll:

Right!

(Don't you know it's always that Evil Favre's fault when they lose?) :roll:

Oh..and the receivers didn't drop any passes either yesterday.... :roll:

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Lexstein said:

Yeah..it's all Favre's fault...don't you know? :roll:

The O-Line didn't suck yesterday... :roll:

The special teams were special... :roll:

and the Defense was the "Death Squad" not the "Suck Squad".... :roll:

Right!

(Don't you know it's always that Evil Favre's fault when they lose?) :roll:

Oh..and the receivers didn't drop any passes either yesterday.... :roll:

Oh you know it, everyone played their best yesterday... except of course... well... Favre... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
packedhouse01 said:

they were on the home sideline. the wind barely touched them. if you watch the replay... the entire side behind the green bay bench left for halftime to get out of the weather. it was blowing in off the water and hitting that side of the stadium. So the pack had to take the beating on the sideline while the other side of the fans and the bears team got to sit in cold weather without wind. much more like a normal cold weather game.
The chain gang moved to the other side of the field after the first quarter because the conditions were too harsh on the packers side of the field. If you go back and watch the tape, you can tell... one side of the stadium and the packers are hunched down trying to stay alive... then the bears and the fans on that side are cheering and moving around.

it was an honest to god anamoly... and likely wont ever happen again. just a freak game. and we played like we wanted to leave.

Packnic ;

This is one excellent observation that I had never even thought of. Up until now I just assumed the Bears were better prepared overall but this gives me a new perspective ( not that I was looking for an excuse for the team ).

I did notice MM's face on the post game interview and the man's face seriously looked one massive case of frost bite. Living up here in Canada we have the opportunity of seeing some "freaky weather type" games a little more than the coldest cities in the states and do know that stadium winds, when they get really bad; are not always fair to both teams.

Again,

Thanks for the insight !!

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
packedhouse01 said:

IF the wind was just blowing in from the water, or from the East, that is the side of the field that the Packers bench is on. Therefore, the Pac bench would have been the 'protected' one. The wind was swirling and hitting everywhere.

Also, I believe that the east side of the stadium has access to the indoor Cadillac Club. It is heated. Those fans were taking advantage of that.

Body fat, wind protected sidelines, what else???

I think that the Bears won that game because...they were better on that day.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF the wind was just blowing in from the water, or from the East, that is the side of the field that the Packers bench is on. Therefore, the Pac bench would have been the 'protected' one. The wind was swirling and hitting everywhere.

Also, I believe that the east side of the stadium has access to the indoor Cadillac Club. It is heated. Those fans were taking advantage of that.

Body fat, wind protected sidelines, what else???

That gives the Bears too much credit. Bears better than anyone is too much credit. They won because we were worse than them that day.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

And Mars is aligned with "Uranus!!!!" :lol: 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Body fat, wind protected sidelines, what else???\

Agreed 4th...the prevailing wind theory is nice, and all this weather anomoly talk is splendid, but the bottom line is that the packers were much bigger wimps in the wind and snow, and the bears came prepared to kick some butt regardless of the weather conditions.

Members online

Latest posts