Favre to meet with Childress, discuss return

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Oh Lord.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Brett Favre to talk to Brad Childress about playing - ESPN

"Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre plan to meet at an undisclosed location later this week to discuss the possibility of the former Packers and Jets quarterback renouncing his retirement from the NFL to play the 2009 season with the Vikings, according to a source with direct knowledge of discussions between the two parties.

There is a mutual understanding that sometime soon thereafter Favre will decide whether to sign with the Vikings. The team would expect him to participate fully in offseason minicamps and training camps, which he missed last year with the Jets.
Favre has not been working out and declined to have surgery to repair the torn biceps tendon that plagued him the final month of last season.

Favre may believe the injury can heal on its own as did a similar problem with his left shoulder while he played in Green Bay. Favre wanted to play for the Vikings last season, but the Packers specifically eliminated their NFC North rivals as a potential destination for the Green Bay icon.

While Favre had been emphatic about not returning next season, he never anticipated the Jets would release him after drafting Mark Sanchez in the first round and could see the Vikings as the opportunity to fulfill the goal he was deprived of last season -- winning a Super Bowl.

Favre admitted to ESPN that he was motivated to play in 2008 largely because of his resentment toward Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

The Vikings had planned to have Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels compete for the starting quarterback position in training camp. With Jackson battling injuries last season, journeyman Gus Frerotte started 11 games and led the Vikes in passing.

Minnesota finished 10-6 to capture the NFC North but lost to the Eagles in the first round of the playoffs in a game started by Jackson.

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well. I for one will boo the hell out of my TV when he comes running out onto the Lambeau soil. I sort of understood last year, but he always said that if his play reached a point where it was hurting the team he'd stay gone. Last year he almost singlehandedly played the Jets out of the playoffs. Blah blah blah he won us a Super Bowl I don't care. I always got the feeling when he was here that Favre was different than all the self absorbed athletes around him. Turns out he might be the most self absorbed of them all.

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God I despise that man rofl, Just retire already. Hes already tarnished his Packers legacy imo just let it go and enjoy retirement.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh Lord.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Brett Favre to talk to Brad Childress about playing - ESPN

"Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre plan to meet at an undisclosed location later this week to discuss the possibility of the former Packers and Jets quarterback renouncing his retirement from the NFL to play the 2009 season with the Vikings, according to a source with direct knowledge of discussions between the two parties.

There is a mutual understanding that sometime soon thereafter Favre will decide whether to sign with the Vikings. The team would expect him to participate fully in offseason minicamps and training camps, which he missed last year with the Jets.
Favre has not been working out and declined to have surgery to repair the torn biceps tendon that plagued him the final month of last season.

Favre may believe the injury can heal on its own as did a similar problem with his left shoulder while he played in Green Bay. Favre wanted to play for the Vikings last season, but the Packers specifically eliminated their NFC North rivals as a potential destination for the Green Bay icon.

While Favre had been emphatic about not returning next season, he never anticipated the Jets would release him after drafting Mark Sanchez in the first round and could see the Vikings as the opportunity to fulfill the goal he was deprived of last season -- winning a Super Bowl.

Favre admitted to ESPN that he was motivated to play in 2008 largely because of his resentment toward Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

The Vikings had planned to have Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels compete for the starting quarterback position in training camp. With Jackson battling injuries last season, journeyman Gus Frerotte started 11 games and led the Vikes in passing.

Minnesota finished 10-6 to capture the NFC North but lost to the Eagles in the first round of the playoffs in a game started by Jackson.

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well. I for one will boo the hell out of my TV when he comes running out onto the Lambeau soil. I sort of understood last year, but he always said that if his play reached a point where it was hurting the team he'd stay gone. Last year he almost singlehandedly played the Jets out of the playoffs. Blah blah blah he won us a Super Bowl I don't care. I always got the feeling when he was here that Favre was different than all the self absorbed athletes around him. Turns out he might be the most self absorbed of them all.

If he plays for them, I hope he tarnishes himself with another Vikings boat party.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Official Website of Brett Favre » News » Brett Favre: I'll stay retired, even if I get the urge'

Brett Favre still says he is retired and that his career is over.

However, come July and August, Favre admits he will undoubtedly get the urge to play again. This time, though, Favre says he will not return to play out of respect for the Jets and GM Mike Tannenbaum.

"I foresee getting the impulse to play," Favre told Sports Illustrated's Peter King. "But as good as Mike Tannenbaum has been to me, I could never bring myself to do it. I know I won't do it. If I did, I'd be putting the Jets in a tough spot, because I know they can't release me."

Lies

Dizzle498

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole thing is infuriating. I am tired of the wishy washy ness (Is that a word?). I am tired of him trying to stick it to us at every turn. Let me ask you guys (and gals) this, does this hurt his status for us retiring his jersey number eventually? What if he comes back and kicks our but 2 times? To me it will just prolong the retirement of this number until enough people have forgiven and forgotten.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF he plays for the queens, IF, it pretty much erases all the history he had with us. I wouldn't like to retire a jersey from a player that worn purple, or navy blue and orange for that matter... Again, IF...
BTW, I'm so naive, I'm still hoping he signs a one-day contract to retire with us this year...

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me ask you guys (and gals) this, does this hurt his status for us retiring his jersey number eventually? What if he comes back and kicks our but 2 times? To me it will just prolong the retirement of this number until enough people have forgiven and forgotten.

Let's wait 40 years...

Now I'm REALLY hoping that A-Rod led us to 2 SB titles. It would be great to retire his jersey before Judas.

(Of course...only IF Favre really goes to the queens).

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
"IF" Favre signs with the Queens, man I dunno about him anymore. To me it just feels like betrayal of the Packer fans that gave him so much and vice versa don't get me wrong.

Favre took his legacy and threw it in the mud when he went to the jets. Now he is urinating on it just to get back at Packer Management!? Not real bright, but then Favre was never the brightest bulb imo.

Dallas radio loves the idea of him signing with the Queens. They feel like that takes the Queens out of contention this year. They might have a point.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all said goodbye to #4 last year, twice. Who cares if he plays anymore? Does it matter which team, if in fact he does play again? Are you scared? Does he strike fear into the depth of your being throwing passes wearing purple?

Apparently it does 'cause the backlash over A RUMOR has most of you ready to malign him again.

He's just doing what any man (or woman) would do at a stage in life where one is holding onto the past & putting off the inevitable. He has the right to work out his crises any way he sees fit. For people to criticize him for doing what he desires shows the real nature of their disdain: selfishness.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
We all said goodbye to #4 last year, twice. Who cares if he plays anymore? Does it matter which team, if in fact he does play again? Are you scared? Does he strike fear into the depth of your being throwing passes wearing purple?

Apparently it does 'cause the backlash over A RUMOR has most of you ready to malign him again.

He's just doing what any man (or woman) would do at a stage in life where one is holding onto the past & putting off the inevitable. He has the right to work out his crises any way he sees fit. For people to criticize him for doing what he desires shows the real nature of their disdain: selfishness.
My opinion: If he wanted to play, he should've gotten his shoulder fixed and went back to the Jets. Solid on D, solid running game, they'd have had just as much of a shot at a Super Bowl as Minni. Selfishness, to me anyways, is going to a team and playing another year specifically to stick it to one person.

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF he plays for the queens, IF, it pretty much erases all the history he had with us. I wouldn't like to retire a jersey from a player that worn purple, or navy blue and orange for that matter... Again, IF...
BTW, I'm so naive, I'm still hoping he signs a one-day contract to retire with us this year...

I say we don't retire his jersey and make Aaron change his # to 4:D

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just makes me laugh at all the sheep that worshiped his every move in Packer Nation, and the sheep that made up half of this site back before it went kaput. The guy is and has always been a fraud.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That!
No, but seriously, Aaron deserves his own mark. I hope someday we retire #12 as well.
And nelanator, what? I mean, you are honestly saying that all those records, the SB ring, and the 3 times MVP awards are all fake?

Of course not. I'm saying that his "everyman" and "good 'ol boy" images were fake. He played the media like a fiddle for his entire time in Green Bay and the fans bought into it. He only cared about himself, and his wanting to play for the Vikes only proves that he doesn't give 2 s***s about the fans that worshiped him all of those years.

Even when he refused to mentor Rogers, his obvious eventual replacement, he was praised by some. He's not a team guy, and his time with the Jets is a testament to that. He is a phony as a person and the Packer faithful have every right to despise him every bit as much as they loved him just a couple of years ago.

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not a team guy, and his time with the Jets is a testament to that. He is a phony as a person and the Packer faithful have every right to despise him every bit as much as they loved him just a couple of years ago.

I have no Idea why I'm defending Favre but maybe.. just maybe he didn't have a connection with the guys in NY because he was older then all of them by about 15 years, and he only had 1 year to get to know everyone.

In GB he had alot of time to get to know the guys and you saw how great a teammate he was in GB, but tryin to connect with younger guys ( haha ) in NY on such a short period of time was probably difficult.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.
I honestly think he changed with time. I think that he used to be all about the team and the game. But yeah, in his last years, asking for coaches and players (!) and whatnot were a proof that he didn't understand his role anymore, that he saw himself above the organization. I can understand that, given all he's done for us. But when he sees himself above the fans, then I can no longer be complacent...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no Idea why I'm defending Favre but maybe.. just maybe he didn't have a connection with the guys in NY because he was older then all of them by about 15 years, and he only had 1 year to get to know everyone.

In GB he had alot of time to get to know the guys and you saw how great a teammate he was in GB, but tryin to connect with younger guys ( haha ) in NY on such a short period of time was probably difficult.
It's not that he didn't connect with NY guys, it's just that he didn't care for the Jets. His reasons were all wrong. He only cared about revenge, and his teammates saw it, and reacted to it...

Members online

Latest posts