Favre says Rodgers will "shatter everything I ever did"

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't simply it like that. Sounds nice in a discussion but it's not the full truth.

They begged Favre to come back even though he didn't want to. They flew a plane down there with his teammates. They threw a pile of cash at him. I think that you'd be lying if you were still an elite ball player, a team threw a millions of dollars at you, they begged you to play for them, and you'd say "no." The guy did what 99.9% of us all would have done - played a final season for the money. He didn't only come back for the money.

"First of all, the money was too good," the record-setting quarterback told NFL Network analyst and former Atlanta Falcons teammate Deion Sanders, who immediately responded: "Thank you for being honest, I like that."

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't simply it like that. Sounds nice in a discussion but it's not the full truth.

They begged Favre to come back even though he didn't want to. They flew a plane down there with his teammates. They threw a pile of cash at him. I think that you'd be lying if you were still an elite ball player, a team threw a millions of dollars at you, they begged you to play for them, and you'd say "no." The guy did what 99.9% of us all would have done - played a final season for the money. He didn't only come back for the money.

"I hate to say it's about money. But I felt the money was a lot -- great," reiterated Favre.

In case he wasn't clear the first time

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score

They begged Favre to come back even though he didn't want to. They flew a plane down there with his teammates.

The Favre convinced his supporters he did not want to come back. This was not the case. The Favre was simply awaiting the arrival of the three supplicants. They paid the necessary and due homage to The Favre and The Favre was pleased.

Ted Thompson did not pay such homage in 2008, so The Favre was displeased.

Ego stroked: check
Coffers filled: check
Training camp skipped: check

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marketing deal...

20 million if not more..Or did you forget in 08 how Brett said "the Packers bribed him with 20 mill"

Interesting thought- I just have a hard time thinking anyone signs Favre to a $20 million marketing deal at this point.

What can Favre possibly market that will yield enough additional revenue to justify that kind of outlay in 2013? -Maybe I should talk to the folks over at Wrangler, but you can call me skeptical at this point. I doubt Sketchers paid that kind of money for Montana and Joe hasn't damaged his image like Favre has these past several years or so. Did the Montana ads deliver real value to Sketchers by pushing enough additional shoe sales to cover the expenditure? -Without being able to look at the books, again I'm skeptical...

It does seem like one could come up with some pretty funny Super Bowl ads involving Brett but I'm not sure whether the guy is willing to be self-deprecating, which seems like the only way to make a decent ad with him. (Maybe a product like Snickers or Doritos, but it won't be funny unless they're poking some fun at Bert.)

Do people really find it that unbelievable that someone who demanded the biggest contract in nfl history and only came back his last season for money would say a few nice words for more money?

It's more like, how many people are lining up to pay Favre for an endorsement?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting thought- I just have a hard time thinking anyone signs Favre to a $20 million marketing deal at this point.

What can Favre possibly market that will yield enough additional revenue to justify that kind of outlay in 2013? -Maybe I should talk to the folks over at Wrangler, but you can call me skeptical at this point. I doubt Sketchers paid that kind of money for Montana and Joe hasn't damaged his image like Favre has these past several years or so.

It does seem like one could come up with some pretty funny Super Bowl ads involving Brett but I'm not sure whether the guy is willing to be self-deprecating, which seems like the only way to make a decent ad with him. Maybe a product like Snickers or something.

It's more like, how many people are lining up to pay Favre for an endorsement?

Players do appearances for the team....Packers will have the rights to his name and number..

Really can't believe you didnt know about this before..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3536995

The Green Bay Packers' proposed $20 million marketing deal for Brett Favre included a merchandise line, autographs, personal appearances and even a blog, according to a report in The Sporting News' online newsletter Friday.

According to a draft of the agreement obtained by Sporting News Today and its sister publication, The Business Journal Serving Greater Milwaukee, the Packers' proposed 10-year deal for Favre included a line of clothing, merchandise and collectibles.

The Packers Pro Shop would have become the exclusive distributor of autographed Favre memorabilia, and Favre would sign 300 items a year for the team's use.

Favre also would have been required to make 10 personal appearances each year -- including two private hunting or golfing trips -- and a blog would have been created for Favre on the team's Web site.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players do appearances for the team....Packers will have the rights to his name and number..

Really can't believe you didnt know about this before..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3536995

Sure- but that was five years ago. With everything that's happened since then, do you think such a deal carries the same value today? -If you believe so, I think you're nuts.

There just isn't the same market for Favre-related merchandise today...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure- but that was five years ago. With everything that's happened since then, do you think such a deal carries the same value today? -If you believe so, I think you're nuts.

There just isn't the same market for Favre-related merchandise today...

Then I am nutts..So when he goes to Canton we will see no increase of fans

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thus the effort to get back in good graces...

Maybe. I guess I'm just not convinced that getting back in the Packers' good graces fundamentally rehabilitates Favre's brand. Nationally, the guy is as widely remembered for waffling over retirement and texting photos of his junk to massage therapists as he is for his exploits on the field. Companies will find better representatives for their products.

Then I am nutts..So when he goes to Canton we will see no increase of fans

There may be a rise in interest in Favre at the point he goes to Canton- I just think it's pretty short-lived and the revenue opportunities are limited.

The Packers won't roll out anything approaching the marketing blitz contemplated back in 2008 (per your link above). That was a different time: a lot has happened to sour fans on #4 since then and the public's interest in athletes that no longer play tends to wane. I think you're overrating the revenue opportunity here but I guess we'll see how it shakes out.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a real iffy scenario, as far as how many cheers there would be for him, as opposed to how many boos. We've seen this before, in other sports. Chris Chelios was an idolized, revered player for the Chicago Blackhawks for years. Then, he played for the rival Red Wings. The Blackhawks brought him back too soon, because when they brought him out to give him a tribute, he pretty much got booed off the ice. It wasn't pretty.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre's current net worth is estimated by various sources to be anywhere from $40 to $100 million. In other words he ain't hurtin for money.

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-brett-favres-net-worth

http://celebnetworth.org/brett-favre-net-worth-salary-contracts

If its speculated from 40 mil to 100 mil it really means no one has a clue.

Those sites just use limited public info to put together a number. They have no idea.

Again, money doesn't just motivate poor people, it motivates rich people too. So either way, his motivation of money should not be dismissed by his fans

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe. I guess I'm just not convinced that getting back in the Packers' good graces fundamentally rehabilitates Favre's brand. Nationally, the guy is as widely remembered for waffling over retirement and texting photos of his junk to massage therapists as he is for his exploits on the field. Companies will find better representatives for their products.

There may be a rise in interest in Favre at the point he goes to Canton- I just think it's pretty short-lived and the revenue opportunities are limited.

The Packers won't roll out anything approaching the marketing blitz contemplated back in 2008 (per your link above). That was a different time: a lot has happened to sour fans on #4 since then and the public's interest in athletes that no longer play tends to wane. I think you're overrating the revenue opportunity here but I guess we'll see how it shakes out.

We will wait and see :)

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does that link have to do with Brett's motivation? I mean really ... We have already established he is motivated by money.

(1) Marginal utility is a pretty intuitive concept: the value (or "importance") of money to a rich person is less than the value of the same amount of money to a poor person. What does an extra $10 million dollars mean to Bill Gates? -Not much: it won't have a significant impact on what he can afford to buy or his lifestyle. But that same $10 million dollars has a much greater impact on the lifestyle of someone like you or I. With that kind of cash, we're probably looking at new homes, new cars, new tax brackets...

Similarly, while I might jump at the chance to film a commercial endorsing some crap like Icy Hot in exchange for $500,000, that offer is far less persuasive to someone worth $40+ million. (Keep in mind, you're going to lose a healthy portion of that $500,000 in taxes.)

This is part of the reason I'm skeptical of the idea that Favre's reconciliation with the Packers is motivated by greed: the sum of money that's out there to be made (and I don't think we're talking about more than few million in revenue- not profits, mind you) has little marginal utility for the parties involved (the Packers organization and Brett Favre).

(2) If you mean to say we've established that Favre is motivated exclusively by money, I would have to disagree.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
(1) Marginal utility is a pretty intuitive concept: the value (or "importance") of money to a rich person is less than the value of the same amount of money to a poor person. What does an extra $10 million dollars mean to Bill Gates? -Not much: it won't have a significant impact on what he can afford to buy or his lifestyle. But that same $10 million dollars has a much greater impact on the lifestyle of someone like you or I. With that kind of cash, we're probably looking at new homes, new cars, new tax brackets...

Similarly, while I might jump at the chance to film a commercial endorsing some crap like Icy Hot for $500,000, that offer is far less persuasive to someone worth $40+ million. (Keep in mind, you're going to lose a healthy portion of that $500,000 in taxes.)

This is part of the reason I'm skeptical of the idea that Favre's reconciliation with the Packers is motivated by greed: the sum of money that's out there to be made (and I don't think we're talking about more than few million in revenue- not profits, mind you) has little marginal utility for the parties involved (the Packers organization and Brett Favre).

(2) If you mean to say we've established that Favre is motivated exclusively by money, I would have to disagree. People are more complicated than that.

So Brett can't be excited to get millions?? Even if he passes off a good portion to his charities?

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he does. Value is subjective. It just doesn't make a lot of sense for Favre to get excited over an amount of money that is relatively small compared to his net worth.

I don't stop to pick up pennies in a parking lot for the same reason: not worth the time and effort to me.

Also, I doubt that Favre stands to make more than $1 million combined in merchandise, appearance, or endorsement deals as a result of his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. How many recent Hall of Fame inductees have significantly capitalized on the honor? Does reconciling with the Packers organization dramatically affect that amount for Favre?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(2) If you mean to say we've established that Favre is motivated exclusively by money, I would have to disagree.

You disagree with something I didn't say or mean?

I think I'll leave you to argue with things I didn't say.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts