Favre Requires Surgery

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I turned on ESPN Radio while I was cleaning and heard that Favre requires ankle surgery to play this season. He is currently undecided whether he wants to get it and play or just retire.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is just breaking so not to much info...

But this MIGHT be a huge issue for this reason..

Say its a long rehab, more than likely he will need extra time to get in shape..

Will he still try to skip out on all the training camp?

OP
OP
CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just breaking so not to much info...

But this MIGHT be a huge issue for this reason..

Say its a long rehab, more than likely he will need extra time to get in shape..

Will he still try to skip out on all the training camp?

Part of me says he's a diva, wants attention, and is just saying this to make himself look like an even bigger "Iron Man." Am I being too ******* Favre?

I agree with what you said. If he actually needs the surgery, I doubt he could skip training camp and come back and be effective. Also, if this forces him to retire...the Vikings are doomed!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YOU DON'T SAY!!!!

Favre has an issue that will require him to miss most offseason??? WOW, what a shock...

Lemme guess... He's gonna come back by the 3rd or last preseason game? WOW what a shock...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, he built in an excuse to miss all of training camp. My guess is he'll return right around mid to late August.

I sepecially loved this quote:

"We have spoken,'' Favre said in an e-mail to Werder. "To play again, I would need the surgery, as I suspected. This decision would be easy if not for my teammates and the fans and the entire Vikings staff. One year truly felt like 10 -- much like Green Bay for many years. That's what I was missing in my heart I suppose, a [sense] of belonging.''

So after being worshipped by fans for more than a decade, he didn't feel like he belonged? Seriously, what an *******!

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The drama starts again! Brett Favre!

Maybe he will be back maybe he won't be back

ESPN and Yahoo sports are both reporting that he needs to have ankle surgery to play next year!

Can somebody post a link for me as I still don't have the 10 min threads required to post links!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, he built in an excuse to miss all of training camp. My guess is he'll return right around mid to late August.

"We have spoken,'' Favre said in an e-mail to Werder. "To play again, I would need the surgery, as I suspected. This decision would be easy if not for my teammates and the fans and the entire Vikings staff. One year truly felt like 10 -- much like Green Bay for many years. That's what I was missing in my heart I suppose, a [sense] of belonging.''

So after being worshipped by fans for more than a decade, he didn't feel like he belonged? Seriously, what an *******!
I think he meant as a Jet.

But, still, he felt AS comfortable with the Queens AS with us? 1 year, and 15 years? Are you freaking kidding me?

Well, you can stay in that SBless dump, for all I care.

OP
OP
CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Your probably right. Afterall, he needs an excuse to skip "dreaded" training camp.

Of course he's an *******. The guy is a spoiled pampered little brat in the body of a 40 year old.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
is going to post something on his web site??

got this in an email about 10 minutes ago

I suspect it came from his friend who owns the site

Just spoke with Brett. He will issue a statement today through the web site. He could play without surgery but would have to put up with the pain. His ankle is fine doing lawn work and things around his property. Just certain things he does bothers it.

He is shooting a new wrangler commercial today in South Hattiesburg.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
From Bretts web site

I want to add to the information provided in the article that was published this morning on ESPN’s website. Given the reaction to the article, and the typical conclusion jumping, I thought I’d clarify a few things.

While my ankle has been bothering me, the injury is not debilitating. For example, I’m able to work around my property without any problems. Sure – certain exercises cause some ankle pain, but it’s nothing that I haven’t experienced (or played with) before. In fact, many people don’t realize that I injured my ankle before the NFC Championship game. I’ve had surgery on this ankle twice before, and I’ve played with the pain before. The hits I took throughout the 2009 season, including the Saints game, just added to the ankle pain and likely caused some bone spurs.

I don’t believe major surgery on the ankle would be required for me to return in 2010. I’ve consulted with Dr. Andrews on the phone, and a relatively minor procedure could be done to improve the dexterity of the ankle, and to relieve the pain. I’ve put up with pain worse than this in my career, and I didn’t want anyone to assume that the possibility of surgery was the sole factor that would determine whether I return or not. Some people reacting to the ESPN story have made this assumption. I don’t blame them for doing so, given that the term “surgery” often covers a variety of procedures, some more complex than others.

The ankle pain is a factor, but one of many factors that I’ll need to consider in making my decision. Other factors include the input of my family, and the wonderful experience that I had last year with the Vikings.

-- Brett Favre

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Bretts web site
Oh, so he injuried the ankle BEFORE the NFCC game! That's why he threw that int, and couldn't run for extra yardage!!!

See!! It's all explained! What a warrior! What a hero! He's an inspiration to all of us!

What a freaking bum. Glad we got rid of him and his **** poor excuses for failure. Rodgers didn't evoke ONCE the blalant facemask...

OP
OP
CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, so he injuried the ankle BEFORE the NFCC game! That's why he threw that int, and couldn't run for extra yardage!!!

See!! It's all explained! What a warrior! What a hero! He's an inspiration to all of us!

What a freaking bum. Glad we got rid of him and his **** poor excuses for failure. Rodgers didn't evoke ONCE the blalant facemask...

Rodgers has class and dignity. Favre, well... You can only say "Stay Classy" in the usual sarcastic tone.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He doesn't need an excuse to miss training camp. Childress has already told him he can come in whenever he wants to. And he said today that he's played with an ankle that bothered him as much as this one does. So this is all about keeping Brett in the news, and stringing his latest team along. Come late July, he'll tell the Yikes that he wants to play, but his incentive contract needs to be torn up for a new guaranteed contract for a modest raise to, say, 18 or 20 million. They'll cave into him since they have no other option at that late date.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ESPN injury analyst said something about the bones in his upper ankle spreading too far apart as a result of a bad high ankle sprain (the injury Favre sustained right before the NFC championship). In his statement from his website he calls the surgery minor and that he is able to work around his property fine, but some exercises cause pain.

His statement is part true and part bs.

I'm sure he has played through pain that is worse, I don't doubt that. That is the true part.

The BS is that the procedure is minor and that he would be able to play without surgery.

I'm assuming it is his tibia and fibula that are spreading. He damaged his syndesmotic ligament. Regardless it really affects mobility, the ability to support weight, and to change direction while supporting that weight.

Sure, he could play without surgery but he would be less mobile than Dan Marino on his worst day, LoL. But more than likely he will have to have surgery, and that surgery isn't minor. They put in at least one but usually 2 or 3 screws and sometimes a plate to stabilize the joint. There is always the risk of the body rejecting the foreign material, and the risk of infection.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hes playing everyone dont worry. this is just his excuse to get out of training camp. we knew it was coming sooner or later

Yea no doubt. I think hes gone through alot harder injuries...so hes probably gonna come in after preseasons over... after he sees how good tjack and sage do. imo Tjack and Sage < brady quinn..anyday. The Vikings fail of the year is not drafting clausen...

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been reading up on the Ankle Syndesmosis Repair surgery and it states that the patient can begin to resume athletic activities after 8-12 post-op but a full recovery can take up to 6 months. A full recovery sounds like it may cut into the beginning of the season doesn't it?? LoL

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its Dr James Andrews. He is the best in the world at this stuff. He will get his 3rd ankle surgery and the press will just eat it up and talk about how tough he is for 3 months until they talk about how he chokes.

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
boy i sure am glad he is the queens problem now and we dont have to worry about it anymore. i think its funny how the queens missed out on clausen because favre cant make up his mind and then this story comes out a week after.

GBpackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Favre said that his one year with the Vikes felt like ten and he had a sense of belonging....well what a slap in the face huh? I wonder if he forgot where he came from. I believe when he finally retires he will realize that he should of retired a Packer and stayed a hero instead of having unsuccessful seasons with other teams.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
We went through this song and dance last year with the shoulder. Eventually he'll have the surgery and he'll show up in Minny around the 2nd preseason game.

Members online

Latest posts