Favre of old emerges, torches Texans on MNF

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
That's the headline on NBCSports.com regarding the game recap for tonight's game.

Probably overstating it a bit, huh?

The Favre I saw tonight was pretty mortal. Lots of short **** and dunk throws, outside of one bomb attempt. It was very safe, which I suppose is enough when you have All Day running like the beast he is.

I just think it's funny how obviously in love with Favre the media is. I told my Dad tonight that after hearing Jon Gruden for 3 hours, i'm pretty sure he'd marry Favre if given the chance.

Not to mention, I don't think the Favre of old ever endangered another player's career like Brett did tonight with that really dirty block he threw on the Wildcat play. I thought Tirico summed that up nicely, "Brett Favre or not, that's not cool". If he isn't fined, there's obvious some preferential treatment going on (speaking of that, don't get me started on the roughing the passer call earlier in the game. Somehow, it's roughing the passer if you take him down as he's throwing the ball).

And those are my Favre observations for the week.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Those grapes are sour..."

QB rating of 114 isn't too bad, eh? Should have had 2 TD passes but WR dropped a gift in the endzone.

Hyp-o-crites..thought the old man was washed up, didn't ya'...

Was hoping for a bad game from Favre? I'm sure Teddy was, as well....

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Favre completed 13 of 18 passes for 142 yards with a touchdown, no interceptions and a 113.7 passer rating...not too shaby for two weeks work, eh?

Sorry to disappoint you guys...:happy0005:

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
With all the weapons on the Vikings roster and they say this is torching the competition? This is Favre's big Viking coming out party? 148 yards, 1 TD? LOL Talk about a Yawner.

Favre looked average. Good for him, I'm surprised he could even muster that at his age. I felt bad for Brett cause he looked a little bewildered out there sometimes. Vikings looked pretty average other than AP. So much for Chilly's "Kick *** Offense!"

Yawn

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
now back on topic..

I say he did very good last night...Showed some good moves to step up and complete passes,the dropped td in corner was a good throw.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fine.

Awfully big of you to admit that, LT...i'm impressed!

I will ALWAYS give anyone credit when it is due..I also will blame anyone when credit is due,like Rodgers blowing 2 games last year and Brett blowing the Giants game

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you guys watch the game? it's exactly what Jess said, Favre did what everyone knew he could do, but didn't what everyone knew he couldn't do anymore. Passing balls to Rbs and Tes is fine. He was more mobile than I expected him to be. But he missed the blitz way too often, and only threw the ball downfield once (a good pass, I admit. The wr couldn't catch. but then again, everybody knew they don't have any wrs...). I've allways said he's an improvement over anything they had, 40 old or not. But he's not going to win games alone for them, as he did to us. And they'll be fine if he doesn't try to. But he will, eventually...
-
And BTW, what a cheap block. If he was a DT, he would be suspended in the minute.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Did you guys watch the game? it's exactly what Jess said, Favre did what everyone knew he could do, but didn't what everyone knew he couldn't do anymore. Passing balls to Rbs and Tes is fine. He was more mobile than I expected him to be. But he missed the blitz way too often, and only threw the ball downfield once (a good pass, I admit. The wr couldn't catch. but then again, everybody knew they don't have any wrs...). I've allways said he's an improvement over anything they had, 40 old or not. But he's not going to win games alone for them, as he did to us. And they'll be fine if he doesn't try to. But he will, eventually...
-
And BTW, what a cheap block. If he was a DT, he would be suspended in the minute.
Exactly. It's not often you can use the term "Game Manager" to describe Favre, but that's exactly what he was last night. He didn't do anything spectacular, but he didn't do anything to hurt the Vikings either. It was almost like watching Trent Dilfer again. And that's not an insult, Dilfer was good when he didn't try to do too much. As long as Favre stays within himself, doesn't force balls, and is willing to hand to All Day 25 times a game, the Vikings will be pretty darn good. Just don't expect him to put your team on his back and win games for you, because he's not that guy anymore. Luckily, there's enough talent around him that he doesn't have to be that guy anymore.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score

Yeah, that was a nasty block and deserves a fine. I'll give old Brett the benefit of the doubt though. It's not like he gets a lot of instruction/practice on proper blocking technique. Dumb on the Vikings part to even put a 40 year old QB in a blocking situation in a preseason game.

What was up with him just looking at Wilson and walking off. Not even apologizing or checking to see if he was ok.

Stay classy Brett.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett didnt look bad ,, but he didnt look great eighter ... he will def. have to step it up if they want to go to the big show ... IMO he better get on the same page as the WR or vice versa ...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Brett didnt look bad ,, but he didnt look great eighter ... he will def. have to step it up if they want to go to the big show ... IMO he better get on the same page as the WR or vice versa ...

He was just good enough..didnt hurt them but didnt really do anything that said WOW..

I have a feeling that that is the Brett we will see amajority of the time this season, just a game manager

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That block was dirty. I think that when you look at the Pack/Vike rivalry I have never seen a play where you could judge people's bias or homerism just by how they describe it. I'm a Vike fan, not a Favre fan though, and that block was dirty. Not malicious, but dirty.

I've seen Vikings fans do everything they can to shift the blame from Favre for that block. And I'm sure Favre hating Packer fans will say it was dirty. But the question is whether or not any of those guys would be singing the same tune if this was 2006 and Brett was still in Green Bay.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I saw, Favre looked good. Good enough to win a few games for the Vikes and give us a run for our money.

Just depends if he can take the punishment of the entire season. Other was TJack will have to come back in and that is no good for Vikes but good for us. :)

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah..when he manages a game after only being there 2 weeks, the Favre haters come out in force because he wasn't "gunslingin'", meanwhile that's what they criticized him for in GB when that was the only option he had for being on such **** poor teams.

Talk about hypocrisy, eh?:victory:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah..when he manages a game after only being there 2 weeks, the Favre haters come out in force because he wasn't "gunslingin'", meanwhile that's what they criticized him for in GB when that was the only option he had for being on such **** poor teams.

Talk about hypocrisy, eh?:victory:

LOL at being on **** poor teams, only one I recall like that was 2005

Last year he wasnt on a **** poor team and he still was gunslinin

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Jets sucked.

It is well know in the NFL that teams figured out that the Jet WR's had no speed, so the defenses gambled and taking away the short passing game, and won...

The OC should have run more to soften them up, but for some inexplicable reason didn't. The Jets defense totally collapsed, and the O-Line was horrible at pass blocking.

By saying that they were a good team you are either biased against Favre or didn't watch the Jets last year.

2006 Packers still sucked. 2007 sucked for about 1/2 year and Favre carried them with a horrible O-Line and running game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Jets sucked.

It is well know in the NFL that teams figured out that the Jet WR's had no speed, so the defenses gambled and taking away the short passing game, and won...

The OC should have run more to soften them up, but for some inexplicable reason didn't. The Jets defense totally collapsed, and the O-Line was horrible at pass blocking.

By saying that they were a good team you are either biased against Favre or didn't watch the Jets last year.

2006 Packers still sucked. 2007 sucked for about 1/2 year and Favre carried them with a horrible O-Line and running game.

So when they beat the only undefeated team last year they sucked? what about beating the Pats, or the cards, all 3 games they sucked?

Favre carried them in 2007? Look at the Philly and Washington games for who carried who..Keep in mind those 2 games Brett had 0 tds and 3 or 4 ints..not to mention if the D in the Denver game doesnt make Cutler fumble Denver wins that game..Those are 3 wins if not for the D they would been losses..Still 10-6 tho with division crown

but yeah continue on saying Brett carried the team

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
and now you get a better understanding on why I have issues with Favre *** slobbers...Its either Brett did GREAT is why they won, or the OTHER members of the team sucked and let the team lose..

Give me a effing break..

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you factor in his two sacks, he average about 6.5 yards/dropback.....in contrast to APs 10.5 yards/carry.

Although statistically Favre throws a little more than 1 interception/game, he threw none against Houston so you can pretty much count on that evening out with a multi-pick effort that'll pretty much end any hope the Vikings have of winning.

And I love Dorsal Levity's view of the 2006 season. Favre had critical....and stupid....goal line turnovers against the Saints, Rams, and Bills......all games we lost by a TD or less.....and we missed the playoffs by one game. Favre's 72.5 passer rating was the second lowest of his career. But Levity sees a crappy team that was carried. Hilarious. This is freakin' comedy gold. I basically only visit this site to laugh at his hysterical rants and he hasn't disappointed me yet.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I basically only visit this site to laugh at his hysterical rants and he hasn't disappointed me yet.

Try Brett Favre Message Board :: Index for that...

D.L is VERY tame compared to the ones there

Take a look at this gem of knowledge :jester: when trying to explain why Brett was traded...

he was talking to the packers hoping to work out something.
The commissioner stepped in to help with the negotiations. he filed his papers on a sunday and flew to green bay, day of the scrimmage which is July. he wasn't traded for another few weeks, the first preseason game.
Denver did the same with plummer. plummer retired and they traded his rights to tampa. tampa still holds them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts