Favre Has Surgery

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I thought the Favre drama was done, he should just stay retired.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YAWN. ESPN flips more than Favre on their stories about him. The question nobody ever asks or answers is does Favre have the Vikings playbook with him?

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Are you gonna comeback, Brett?"
"I can't put the Jets organization into this whole drama and fo the immense respect I have for (Jets GM) I now I'm done and I'm going to enjoy my retirement"

Ok, he didn't said exactly that, but it was something A LOT LIKE THAT.
Two-faced bastard. The guy who caught us all playing with the joy of a kid now acts like a really spoile one. Now I really want him to sign with the queens so we can kick is drugaddict ***! (Yeah, I'm a little bit angy now)

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Peter King, SI.com MMQ

"
The meaning of the Brett Favre surgery -- per an ESPN report last night claiming he had his damaged right biceps tendon repaired recently by detaching it -- is simple: The man wants to play football for the Vikings, and they Vikings have obviously given him enough of an indication that if he's healthy and ready to throw full-throttle by early July that they'll be interested in signing him.
My guess is Favre had the surgery 10 to 12 days ago. An NFL medical source told me if Favre's biceps tendon was indeed "hanging by a thread,'' as I heard it was, that Favre would be able to throw a football in about two weeks and should be able to throw without pain in about four weeks.
The reason Favre could go to the Vikings late in the game, theoretically, is that it's the same offense with the same language that he ran in Green Bay. But there are a couple of X factors that could stand in the way. All indications are the Vikings haven't agreed to a contract yet with Favre; what do you pay a man who will turn 40 and is coming off shoulder surgery two months before the start of training camp? Minnesota can't guarantee him $12 million -- or shouldn't. More likely the contract would have to be for a year at $8 million to $10 million, max, with some incentives. Then there's the matter of how Favre feels. I believe if he's throwing in early July with pain, or with impingement, he won't go through with it.
It's hard to imagine Favre getting the surgery done by renowned orthopedist James Andrews if he didn't think he could be healthy and ready to go within a month or six weeks at the outside.
It'll be an upset if Favre doesn't attempt a comeback with Minnesota now."

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man he is really pushing to get back into the game and onto the Vikings. This is not going to go over very well at the Packers home game against the Vikings.

gbpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a crap town in Illinois, I was in Rice Lake WI
So as Packer fans we are now to hate Farve?

It's that as bad as someone who jumps on a teams bandwagon when they are winning?

I have thought a lot about how I feel about this and I think that it is OK is he does this. It should not change how we feel about him and his legacy.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So as Packer fans we are now to hate Farve?

It's that as bad as someone who jumps on a teams bandwagon when they are winning?

I have thought a lot about how I feel about this and I think that it is OK is he does this. It should not change how we feel about him and his legacy.

Disagree. Some think that Favre just recently decided to be a selfish A-Hole, but if he signs with the Vikes and tries to smite the team and fanbase that deified him for so many years I am inclined to believe that he was a selfish A-Hole all along - but with his media savvy and media-driven image we were not made aware of it in the past. He did some selfish things, like his unwillingness to mentor Rodgers from the day that he was brought in, but was even inexplicably lauded for those actions by some. In that case, the team and fanbase were wrong in the first place to have him on that pedestal. To continue to hold him there after all of this would just be pure, blind idiocy.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be clear. Favre isn't trying to play again for love of the game or anything noble. He's out for revenge against Ted Thompson in particular but maybe it's spilled over against the Packers and Packer fandom in general.
If all Favre wanted was to play he could have given the Jets another season. He was angling for Minnesota last summer, too, remember. Just so he could beat the Packers. And even though it was done in a way that avoided proof, there can be no doubt there was collusion between Favre and Darrell Bevel and maybe Brad Chldress as well then.
People ask about FAvre's legacy. If he does this thing it will change. He will no longer be the quintessential Packer. He'll be one of the all time great qb's who played most and the best years of his career in Green Bay but he will no longer be regarded as solely and uniquely identified with the Packers as he would have been if he hadn't behaved this way for the past year.Take the $20 million PR deal off the table, Mr Murphy.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelanator and Packerlifer, couldn't agree more with you guys.

Let's say he plays for the queens this season and finally retires after all. Are there any odds he chooses to be a hall of famer for them instead than us? Could you imagine that? 16 years in Green Bay, one f-season in minny and he enters the HoF as a viqueen.

It makes me wanna give the #4 to Durant Brooks or whatever.

Does that make a case for never...or at least not in like 25 years...to retire this guy number?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
NFL players DO NOT go into the hall of a member of a certain team..They go in as NFL players

Baseball is that way but not football.

The whole Reggie White thing was him just being misinformed when he said he would go in as a Packer

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Is a New Hall of Fame Member Enshrined as a Member of a Team?
Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization. Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time. An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined. When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for his accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor."

Ok then.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
"Is a New Hall of Fame Member Enshrined as a Member of a Team?
Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization. Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time. An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined. When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for his accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor."

Ok then.
Yup its what I thought

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
A secret deal in place?

Favre deal already done? packergeeks

1. Two months ago, his family apparently reserved a bunch of hotel rooms in Green Bay around the time that the Pack would be playing the Vikings (Nov 1).
  2. A trusted Packergeeks source shared with me this morning some info from a source within the Vikings organization. Apparently, as of early this morning, the only delay in the Favre signing is due to a few minor contract details. So, it’s just understood now by the team that Favre will be a Viking soon – an announcement is expected Weds or Thurs once the deal is finalized. (This same source also reported that rumors about Favre’s arm not being OK are false – and that Favre is reporting that his arm hasn’t felt this good in years).

tjb_orlando

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they actually do sign up Lorenzo for 2009, I am gonna laugh. Crazy football antics.

There are two major considerations, for me:
  • The Wipings will screw it up. It is their nature.
  • What if they don't, and Favre lights it up? BIG WORRY that will not go away until October.

So I will just be laughing. I will root for Favre even when he plays the Packers, and curse his hide at the same time! Fun.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be funny if minnesota is actually courting Favre but somehow screws it up. For example, don't pay the NAME what he thinks he is worth, and theN Favre says fine, I'll stay retired, its not worth coming to play for you guys, a team I've had as a rival for so many years. Man wouldn't that be a hoot haha.

not sure what will happen at this point though.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All haters need to grow up. You either appreciate what #4 did for our team or you don't. There's no wishy-washy middle ground of "if he does this then I feel this way".

After making a life decision in March of '08, #4 later indicates (at the latest June 20th) to our team that he regrets that choice & wishes to play for our team again. Our team rebuffs this.

At this point #4 chooses to make these events public, driven by spite or merely a desire to have his side of the affair made known.

Then the team cell phone story festers for 3 or 4 days before the team acknowleges that no GB players are issued a team call phone. Intentionally or not, this tactic or oversight plays well into our team's ongoing media struggle with a now estranged player. No proof that GB leaked this accusation about records of phone conversations between #4 & members of the Vikings but who else would be privileged to such records? An unscrupulous employee of a cell phone company sympathetic to GB? Perhaps, but then that would imply an attempt by our team to use an illegal tactic to make a case for MN coaches tampering with a GB player.

Admittedly, I'm disgusted by all actions & events surrounding the break-up between #4 & our team. All involved acted in the best interest of their respective intents & purposes, though. Once things sour, it's hard to find fault with anything one side or the other does to justify their means, at least from an objective, neutral perspective.

I have a life-long connection to our team & every player who laced 'em up for the Green & Gold. Some players achieved more than others but I hold all of them in the highest regard for their physical sacrifices to our team.

Altering the way I feel about one or any of those individuals based on anything outside the field of play isn't in my character, Lofton's, Cade's, Chmura's & Barnett's legal issues being exceptions. Those were avoidable situations that demonstrated poor judgment. A distinction must be made when physical harm to innocent people becomes an issue.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dough I know you said that both sides are to blame,but why did you focus just on the Packer side?

Brett Favre on retirement, Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, more - Peter King - SI.com
he told Ed Werder in his weekend ESPN interview, all he heard from the Packers after the 2007 season was "crickets,'' meaning he thinks they wanted him to walk away -- he was a convincing retiree.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,382744,00.html
Mike McCarthy called every week. Mike would call, Hey, how's things going, you know? Where are you at with your decision?

Favre still unsure if he'll play this year - JSOnline

Favre acknowledged that the money being offered by Packers president Mark Murphy was not in exchange for him not to report to training camp. He said that has been incorrectly portrayed in some media reports.

Favre says of situation: 'This probably isn't going to work' - NFL - ESPN
"Then," Favre said, "they tried to buy me off to stay retired."

Notice anything unusual?

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know...I know...I know! o/

Let me see...on the first one he says that no one called him...in the second, that Mike McCarthy called him every week.
On the third one...let's see...he says that the 20 million dollars (geeeeez) that Murphys offered him were for something else...and on the fourth he contradicts himelf saying that the 20 million were for "buying" him to stay retired.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There saying now he is going to workout for the Vikings, it really looks like he wants in Minnesota.